Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still sort of terrorized by my flat glass electric stove. Whoops...put an oven mitt on it the other day. It doesn't "look" hot. With my gas stove, I knew not to put a mitt on it!

Aren't there warning lights on the cooktop that stay lit as long as the burner remains hot? Our glass cooktops have always had red "dots" that come on and stay on when the burner is in use and for a while afterwards while it's still hot.

Aren't there warning lights on the cooktop that stay lit as long as the burner remains hot? Our glass cooktops have always had red "dots" that come on and stay on when the burner is in use and for a while afterwards while it's still hot.
The “hot” indicator lights on my stove stay lit until the glass top cools down to lukewarm. I’ve set a stick of butter on it after the light goes off and it is still warm enough to melt butter into a puddle.

The glass top is perfect to keep bread warm.

I’m on a sandwich kick. I picked up a loaf of bread, ham, turkey, cheese and 2 big fat tomatoes. I’ll be good for days. LOL!

Tomorrow is the monthly food distribution but I’m not in the mood to food prep. I do have 4 big peaches I’m going to slice up for the beach tomorrow. Yum.

The weather is finally breaking. The heat isn’t quite as high and the humidity has been reasonable. I’m ready for bike riding and picnicking at the park.

Even though we've been to Mexico several times and eaten in many nice restaurants, I don't recall ever having a dish with mole sauce. I've become increasingly fascinated with them from various cooking shows and want to try a recipe that uses mole sauce. DH found Dona Maria mole at Meijer after looking for mole at Nino's and didn't find it. This recipe looks a little complicated, but I plan to make it in the near future. Doña Maria Mole | Mexican Food Recipes | Mexico in my Kitchen

We had BLATs last night with Michigan tomatoes that will probably be unavailable in a couple of weeks. Sure, we can get tomatoes year round, but they won't be delicious Michigan varieties. Michigan corn crop was somewhat sparse this season, but we did get to enjoy the sweet bicolor corn several times. Corn on the cob is available year round, of course, but it's not the same as Michigan sweet corn.

I made something interesting today, and I’m curious to see how it turns out: pork ribs, slathered with lots of apple butter, and baked. I don’t usually buy pork, but one of my kids sampled a sugar/honey ham and liked it and I know pork + apples is popular, so I reasoned that apple butter has to be amazing. (Fun fact: apple butter doesn’t actually contain dairy).

Personally, I don’t believe in mixing fruit with meats, cheeses, or chocolates (why ruin both strawberries and arugula by putting them in the same salad, why?!) but I digress. I have a big jar of fresh pumpkin butter. Would that work with anything?

I’m on a sandwich kick. I picked up a loaf of bread, ham, turkey, cheese and 2 big fat tomatoes. I’ll be good for days. LOL!

Tomorrow is the monthly food distribution but I’m not in the mood to food prep. I do have 4 big peaches I’m going to slice up for the beach tomorrow. Yum.

The weather is finally breaking. The heat isn’t quite as high and the humidity has been reasonable. I’m ready for bike riding and picnicking at the park.

A few years ago, I scored mini-pie and cake pop makers at Goodwill. The pie-pop one is good for little savory pockets too - flatten sliced bread with a rolling pin. I made some with cheddar and mustard and served with tomato soup. I remember they froze well.

I made something interesting today, and I’m curious to see how it turns out: pork ribs, slathered with lots of apple butter, and baked. I don’t usually buy pork, but one of my kids sampled a sugar/honey ham and liked it and I know pork + apples is popular, so I reasoned that apple butter has to be amazing. (Fun fact: apple butter doesn’t actually contain dairy).

Personally, I don’t believe in mixing fruit with meats, cheeses, or chocolates (why ruin both strawberries and arugula by putting them in the same salad, why?!) but I digress. I have a big jar of fresh pumpkin butter. Would that work with anything?
For some reason my daughters boyfriend thought I liked apple butter. I don’t. He brought a large mason jar of it back from TN. Maybe the pork tenderloin in the crockpot would be good with apple butter on it. Hmmm. You have me thinking now. I’ll be curious how you like your concoction.

Not sure what you could do with pumpkin butter. Didn’t even know that existed.

For some reason my daughters boyfriend thought I liked apple butter. I don’t. He brought a large mason jar of it back from TN. Maybe the pork tenderloin in the crockpot would be good with apple butter on it. Hmmm. You have me thinking now. I’ll be curious how you like your concoction.

I don’t like most sweet things and I don’t like pork, so I didn’t try this. But everyone else did and loved! I wonder if adding apples (dried or fresh) would be nice, or just too much apple. I loosely wrapped ribs in tinfoil and cooked on a low temp but a crockpot would probably be better. I’m just happy at least one of my kids is finally trying new foods!

Pork and ham pair very well with various fruits. DH and I get an apple and sage stuffed pork roast that also has onion and cherries. It is delicious! When we have pork chops or pork tenderloin, we often marinate or baste the pork with a fruit and mustard mixture. I think apple butter would be awesome on just about any type of pork. I make a lovely marinade with cherry butter and Dijon mustard for pork chops/pork tenderloin.

Lol someone that didn’t know us very well (a dog-sitting customer) gave us a very large, fancy jar of apple butter from a gift shop in Pennsylvania. I don’t care for apple butter and neither does my daughter.

I really hate to waste food and tried to give that jar of apple butter away but couldn’t find anyone who wanted it. Couldn’t even give it to a food drive because it didn’t have an expiration date on it.

It sat in our pantry for a year or two, and I felt guilty every time I looked at it. Finally threw it out.

Think I'll bake pumpkin bread today as I will have the oven on for roasted fingerlings. I will also saute sliced mushrooms to accompany our shared Porterhouse. I get the tenderloin, and DH gets the rest.
Pumpkin Bread | Better Homes & Gardens (bhg.com)

OT: Yesterday was sheet-changing day. It has gotten very cold overnight, but we didn't think it was quite time for flannel sheets. Furnace came on during the night, and I wished that we had gone with toasty flannel sheets. In two weeks, for sure.

It was 70 degrees this morning!! Just sayin’ - that’s fall for SWFL. Ha!

I am always trying to find something to disguise my metal mouth on treatment week. I found this premixed smoothie drink. It looked good. Tasted ok, mostly like strawberries - not really a smoothie fan to begin with. But, it doesn’t have any of the fruits I’m allergic to in it. Figured I’d try it. Apparently it has no redeeming qualities. LOL!!! I’ll try to drink it all but don’t hold your breath. If one of the girls swing by, it may go home with them.

Attachments

• 17E5D825-52CA-4948-A5D7-5D7F2F9A5447.jpeg
    17E5D825-52CA-4948-A5D7-5D7F2F9A5447.jpeg
    72.2 KB · Views: 16
  • BDEB853A-FBED-40B6-8451-D770B74C10F4.jpeg
    BDEB853A-FBED-40B6-8451-D770B74C10F4.jpeg
    93.6 KB · Views: 17
I still haven't made pumpkin bread but this is on the menu tonight. Acorn Squash Stuffed with Mushrooms and Rice Recipe | Martha Stewart I use brown rice, quinoa, or wild rice.

We were considering a Lebanese restaurant that we used to go to years ago for DH's birthday on Friday. After much consideration, we decided to go to Ruth's Chris Steakhouse (Troy) where we went for his birthday last year. The restaurant is spacious and did an exemplary job of keeping patrons safe during the pandemic. DH requested a booth so we know that we will not be seated close to other diners. Despite being fully vaccinated since March, we're still a bit apprehensive about being in places with a lot of people. Ruth's Chris is perfect for a special occasion dinner: The food and service are impeccable. Looking forward to a nice evening out as we haven't been for a few weeks.

OT: Yesterday was sheet-changing day. It has gotten very cold overnight, but we didn't think it was quite time for flannel sheets. Furnace came on during the night, and I wished that we had gone with toasty flannel sheets. In two weeks, for sure.

I usually have the flannel sheets on my bed 11.5 months out of the year. Only the hottest week or two moves me to switch to cotton. This year I kept the cotton sheets on for probably close to two months because it was just so hot and in particular we weren't getting the evening cooling like we usually do. Ugh. I'm a winter weather snuggle-up-under-many-wool-blankets person and I despair if future summers will be more and more like this summer was.

I usually have the flannel sheets on my bed 11.5 months out of the year. Only the hottest week or two moves me to switch to cotton. This year I kept the cotton sheets on for probably close to two months because it was just so hot and in particular we weren't getting the evening cooling like we usually do. Ugh. I'm a winter weather snuggle-up-under-many-wool-blankets person and I despair if future summers will be more and more like this summer was.

We usually have flannel sheets from mid-October through mid-May, so about 8 months flannel, 4 months damask. 4 sets of flannel sheets - 1 solid, 1 plaid, 2 holiday-themed and used from early November through late January. 2 sets solid damask for the 4 warmer months. Last night was the coldest overnight so far - really wish that we had switched to flannel sheets last week.

My brother's birthday is Saturday, so I'm going to do some cooking/baking over the next day or two. I will make Chicken Paprikash with noodles, sauteed pierogis with sour cream, and he can have one of the two loaves of pumpkin bread that I'll bake today. We had mini Naan pizzas with fresh mozzarella, plum tomatoes, and fresh basil last night; grilled swordfish tonight. Dinner out tomorrow for DH's 73rd birthday. Enjoy your weekend.

We went out for pizza the other night, my husband had "Thai Pizza", with peanuts, cilantro, mandarin oranges...WTH?!

Pineapple, okay..but mandarin oranges? That is off the cliff. JMO

He says that way he knows I won't eat the leftovers. Got that right!

We went out for pizza the other night, my husband had "Thai Pizza", with peanuts, cilantro, mandarin oranges...WTH?!

Pineapple, okay..but mandarin oranges? That is off the cliff. JMO

He says that way he knows I won't eat the leftovers. Got that right!
Every bit of that sounds like a perfectly good way to ruin a good pizza.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member