CA - Jonathan Gerrish, Ellen Chung, daughter, 1 & dog, suspicious death hiking area, Aug 2021 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
My initial thoughts were these deaths were definitely related to toxins (in some form). But, I've decided the deaths will be determined to be heat stroke, heat exhaustion (heat related - whatever the terminology).

My initial thoughts were these deaths were definitely related to toxins (in some form). But, I've decided the deaths will be determined to be heat stroke, heat exhaustion (heat related - whatever the terminology).
From link: (perhaps some toxins are still under consideration)
Many toxicology reports have been completed; however, we are still pending a few key results.

I thought homicide was ruled out some time ago?

Deaths of Google engineer, wife, baby and dog during hike are now NOT being treated as murder - California News Times

Mariposa County Sheriff’s spokeswoman Kristie Mitchell said: ‘Initially, yes, when we come across a family with no apparent cause of death, there’s no smoking gun, there’s no suicide note, there’s nothing like that, we have to consider all options.

‘Now that we’re five days in, no, we’re no longer considering homicide as a cause of death.’

ETA: The direct quote can be found in this link (rather than the one I posted)

California authorities relying on dog's autopsy, other forensics for answers in family's mysterious deaths

From the link:
I thought homicide was ruled out some time ago?

Deaths of Google engineer, wife, baby and dog during hike are now NOT being treated as murder - California News Times

Mariposa County Sheriff’s spokeswoman Kristie Mitchell said: ‘Initially, yes, when we come across a family with no apparent cause of death, there’s no smoking gun, there’s no suicide note, there’s nothing like that, we have to consider all options.

‘Now that we’re five days in, no, we’re no longer considering homicide as a cause of death.’

ETA: The direct quote can be found in this link (rather than the one I posted)

California authorities relying on dog's autopsy, other forensics for answers in family's mysterious deaths

From link:

Homicide is never a cause of death. It is a manner of death. (At the hands of another). The Mariposa spokeswomen should know that.

I hope everyone in the area pays attention to this announcement and exercises precaution about potential environmental toxins/hazards.

I’d wonder if airborne particles made the adults too sick to continue, only to basically bake in the sun.
So close to their vehicle, yet so far. Moo

Last edited:
Suicide is a manner of death, the other are causes of death. Odd to me they grouped it together and left out homicide.

Corin Hoggard
@corinhoggard

·
52m

UPDATE Causes of Death Ruled Out: Gun or any other type of weapon Lightning Strike Carbon Monoxide Carbon Dioxide Cyanide Exposure Illegal Drugs / Alcohol Suicide ALL other potential causes of death remain — including toxic algae.
https://twitter.com/corinhoggard/status/1443658914378092547?s=20
Quoted me before I could clean up my post! Thank you.

Anybody know, where was that marijuana grow? Was it upstream from the area hiked? Possible some toxin from upstream made it’s way downstream to where this family hiked.

I envision the river as low and slow on August 15, 2021 with areas that may have been concentrated toxins present.

Just MOO

A brain teaser for sure. If murder/homicide remain possibilities I can only think of few ways for either to be carried out and still remain undetected, and I’d be reaching. MOO

:/ Sorry —I edited that out based on your edit. I’m wondering why manner and causes weren’t addressed separately by LE.
Might be the fact they are a very small, unsophisticated department and they don’t separate prior to issuing death certificates. I’m guessing, obviously.

:/ Sorry —I edited that out based on your edit. I’m wondering why manner and causes weren’t addressed separately by LE.
I’m not LE, but maybe they’re not being technical…just providing info in a way that the average reader (like me, apparently o_O) can understand. I.e., they’re not trying to sound like the ME; rather, they are just trying to answer questions that might be in people’s mind. Moo.

<modsnip>

Yes, I'd say legal drugs, meaning prescription drugs and over the counter drugs (and marijuana is legal in CA) are still on the table (since not yet excluded), and all forms of poison, except Cyanide, appear to still be on the table as cause of death.

As are things like algae toxins, heat stroke, etc. or a combo of things...

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m not LE, but maybe they’re not being technical…just providing info in a way that the average reader (like me, apparently o_O) can understand. I.e., they’re not trying to sound like the ME; rather, they are just trying to answer questions that might be in people’s mind. Moo.
I think you’re right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member