Found Safe UK - Antonino Coppola, 23, from Richmond, Surrey, missing from Bow, East London, 16 Sep 2021

He doesn't look particularly unwell or struggling in the photos.

I'm starting to wonder if it was a planned disappearance?

Leave the luggage with his friend on the platform, and off he goes.....

I think the MET police will have to start wading through some more CCTV to try to follow where he went.

If the trail goes cold, then perhaps he got into a car or taxi?

There have been no reports of a body being discovered, which also leads me to think planned disappearance and not a homicide or suicide.

Thinking same. Also crossed my mind about a car last night when looking at the Google map of Mornington and Eleanor. A pick up spot?

All seems a bit cloak and dagger even though I say it myself. There is probably a simple answer and that is intentional, or unintentional and he collapsed somewhere and succumbed, maybe inside a disused garden or outbuilding.

I'm perhaps thinking the change of job was to do with the post-Covid shake-up?

Perhaps his assistant managers job (assistant manager of what?) was on furlough, and he didn't really work through most of the lockdowns etc.
Perhaps this new waiter job meant not as much income as before, and he couldn't afford to live in Richmond, Surrey anymore (it's a very expensive place to rent and live.)

By contrast, Bromley-by-Bow is in East London, and like many areas of East London has a reputation that isn't the best, although there has been some gentrification in recent years. Most areas have many Indian/Pakistani/Asian immigrants and these areas would offer much cheaper accommodation, and also easier commuting to the city centre than Richmond would.

Perhaps he was too nervous and anxious about the new job, new rental house, new area and total upheaval of his life and just wanted some time away? The pandemic has been tough on some people.

Also, just a thought: is Ciro just a friend/buddy, or is he a boyfriend/partner? I'm wondering if his love life was in a bit of turmoil too?

Whatever the reason, I think it was a planned disappearance, and what better way to do it than just before you start a new job and new place to live. It's easier that way....you're in between commitments.

I just wish he'd ring his Mama and tell her he's safe, but maybe he feels too ashamed?

MOO.

Last edited:
So much is speculation because we simply do not know all the facts, and probably there is more that has not been put out into the public domain.

One of his friends said they didn't *think* he had any prior mental health issues, but even that cannot be taken as gospel. So many who are depressed do not show it. He may have been stressed about the upcoming new job, we don't know.

We don't know even if he woke up that morning feeling dodgy, or this sudden urge for a toilet came on him suddenly. The person he was with may have given police information on that, as to whether he had been having trouble during the journey. We don't know whether he may have ingested something that brought on an adverse reaction, or even, as I said previously, if this was just a ruse to get away at that point.

Absolutely! We have so many gaps, many of which the police will have completed. We don't know in what way he felt ill. I know if I felt nauseous in public, embarrassment would make me want to find the nearest discreet area to be sick. If I had turned right out of Bow Road Underground Station, then I'd be turning first right into Mornington Grove to get off the main road. I wouldn't want to be walking too far....just a quiet'ish spot in a corner would be just fine. But this is an assumption as to his 'illness'.....so my narrative has little credibility.

The other key element which is critical, is the absolute confirmation that whatever information is coming from a non-native English speaker is checked and double checked for its accuracy and understanding of both the informant and the reporting officer.

I have seen it first hand when a foreign national, believed to be missing in London, was not immediately matched with a body found in the City of London, because key information was incorrectly recorded in translation. It was only when a relative travelled to New Scotland Yard, because of its mythical reputation (long time ago now:rolleyes:) that re-confirming the description directly with the relative and identifying the inaccuracy in the original description enabled the team to immediately link the missing person with the deceased.

People are creatures of habit. Assuming the police have correctly identified AC arriving by train at Bow Road Underground Station and leaving onto right onto to Bow Road then I think the two most likely scenarios are that he was indeed ill and has collapsed somewhere unseen or that he had other plans, which his friend was unaware of....meeting someone, with a vehicle perhaps?

I'd like to know:

1. When AC's phone was last connected to the network and in what area?
2. How well his friend new AC and how long the friend had been in the UK?
3. Why the move from Richmond to way out East? There are an abundance of restaurants to work at in SW London as there is plenty of money to be spent? Was he trying to escape a situation emanating in SW London or was it just too expensive to live there?
4. Has there been any use of AC's Oyster or credit/debit cards since he was last seen?

Plus a load more questions/lines of enquiry if it wasn't so late! :cool: There is CCTV at Thames Magistrates Court at Bow Road J/W Mornington Grove, there may be some private CCTV which may show the pavement. It's all a case of doing these enquiries as soon as possible and hoping the CCTV quality is good. The day was clear with a mixture of cloud and sunshine. The DLR is only a short distance beyond the Thames Magistrates Court on Bow Road. AC could buy a ticket with cash, not use his Oyster card, and be on the south side of the Thames in no time. So many possibilities!

@Officer Dibble The man I found was to the west of the station, so as if having turned left. Can I ask where you read that he was caught on CCTV turning right? I don't think I've read that in any of the media quoted so far. (I'm sure you're right, just wondering if there's been additional news.) I also didn't know about the black backpack so I'll look again to see if that helps. It's a shame traffic cam images are so rubbish, as their ready availability means that going through them is one thing we can do really easily to help police investigations.
I honestly thing the Cemetary Park needs searching (as suggested by someone else on here). I only really think this since hearing he turned right out of the station - there is a small section of wall (easily climbed over by a 6 foot person) that is an edge of the park. Its full of trees. A good place to nip to if you felt unwell and needed privacy to be unwell if you couldn't find a toilet.

When last seen, from what we know, AC was moving away from the Cemetery Park. From what we know there is no report of a male matching AC's description in the immediate vicinity or seen to enter the Cemetery Park. We are told his phone is off so there is no phone ping from that area. We are not aware of any items of clothing or personal effects being found in the vicinity of, or in Cemetery Park.

If this is correct, as we know it, then there is no operational basis for conducting such a search. Such a thorough search is not something the police are trained for. It would require a large Lowland Search Team to conduct a thorough boundary search and then section the inner area off into small sectors and conduct line searches with spacing calculated using an average range of detection technique (AROD). Police will not deploy a Lowland Search Team, who are volunteers, without there being a credible reason to believe that AC could be within the Cemetery.

Unfortunately, we don't have access to the systems and lines of enquiry that the police do. It is somewhat frustrating because I'm sure we could collectively do great things if we did :)

I was reading reviews of the pub and the petrol station (when you turn right). The petrol station had a review that said in the past (I forget when but not this year) a gang of boys on bikes had surrounded customers and demanded petrol. Why would a gang of boys want petrol? Again, to reiterate, this was not from this year.

Assuming they had their own jerry can......for their stolen off-road motorcyles, stolen pool car. I am sure all the petrol stations refuse to activate the pumps when they pull on the forecourt, unless they pay up front, because of all the ride/drive offs, without payment. Or was it during the UK wide disorder in 2011 when molotov cocktails were de rigeur?

Just a thought.....never policed that area but I'm sure most inner city areas have similar offending behaviour.

Sorry @Officer Dibble, I didn't answer this when you asked earlier because I figured it couldn't be him if he'd been seen turning right out of the tube station.

The CCTV grab I posted earlier is on Bow Road, about 150m to the west (left) of the tube station. This is it on google streetview: Google Maps
('My' man is in almost exactly the same spot as the cyclist on streetview.)

I'm minded to discount it now we know he didn't go that way, tbh, and equally I can't see that he'd be likely to end up on Wellington Way or in Tower Hamlets Cemetery Park, both of which would also require turning left.

If I retrace his footsteps on streetview as if turning right out of the tube station, the first thing I see is the newsagent's kiosk. In his shoes, with the area looking so unpromising, I think I would stick my head in and ask where the nearest toilet was, and I'm pretty sure the answer would be the magistrates' court a couple of yards further along (or perhaps he would have seen that without asking at the kiosk). If he was feeling so ill he was panicking, that might also be somewhere he'd expect to find help, probably even a first aider. So that would be my best guess of where he went initially. You would run into all sorts at the magistrates' court though, and that might have dictated what happened next.

Would there be CCTV in a court building? Streetview doesn't seem to show cameras on the exterior, which is a bit of a surprise tbh: Google Maps

There are at least five cameras covering the front of the Mags Court. The two in the picture are at the corner of the building at the J/W Mornington Grove. There are cameras covering along the right and left sides of the building from either end. No doubt there are further cameras covering the rear of the building but they are obscured by the secure car park with high walls and gates, which are well defended :)

upload_2021-10-7_4-51-56.png

Hello Everyone,

I just joined the group as I ended up here cause following this specific event. (I'm an Italian living in London so he appeared in quite few facebook posts). I just want to share some thought I had after reading the thread. I feel that if he was really feeling unwell and he turned right he would have probably go the first smaller road he could find, and that looks like Mornington Grove.
Looking at google view the first few things I noticed are:

– a big gate on the left (Google Maps): as probably there are people working in this place and it was 1pm (lunch time) It may be that the gate was open and he entered looking for privacy not finding a toilette. (he may had needed not just to vomit but also diarrhea). Once done he may have found the gate closed, so decided to climb in the back of the parking (so no-one would have spot him) where the rails are. Would a tube driver 100% realise there was a person there?

– On the right side there are these panels that looks quite low (although not sure how updated are those images from google). What if he managed to go over these fences but then felt too unwell?

Also the gate I've mentioned seems to have CCTV, it should be the first one to be checked IMO. Good call who suggested to look around with a drone! (I don't have one unfortunately)

I also attached the image of the area... those rails seem a bit accessible as you can see... but just a thought.

@Positano86 (for your information) and @Rotspo (replying to your comment)

To clear up any ambiguity about the direction Antonino left the station at Bow Road. If he was standing with his back to the station and looking towards the main road outside the station, did he walk to HIS right or left? These are simple misunderstandings that can make a massive difference. If you have seen the video is that something you are able to confirm with certainty?

@Rotspo, the first set of large gates you mention on the left just as your enter Mornington Grove from Bow Road are the access to the rear of the Magistrates Court. It is well protected because it is a reasonably high risk building. The gates would be highly unlikely to be left open without security guards or police officers being present. They are more likely to be opened and then closed when a high risk prisoner is being transported to of from the court and being taken to or leaving the holding cells. The building is well protected with CCTV.

The railway line is some way below the road level so it would be a big drop down to the railway. It looks as though the rear of the secure Magistrates Court car park that is adjacent to the railway line, has a high fence to prevent prisoners escaping onto the railway track.

The possibility of access to the small yard on the right side and adjacent to the railway line, as you enter Mornington Grove from Bow Road, is more credible and is worth checking out, if the landowner or someone acting on their behalf gives permission. Once again it is a fair drop down to the railway, but would also be worth asking the railway staff to check.

All these actions should really be done in consultation with the police. It really is best for ONE of Antonino's English (fluent) speaking relatives/friends in London to be in direct contact with the police and to act as the conduit between the police and family/friends. If the London contact is polite but assertive and asks direct questions about what lines of enquiry the police are following then you will have a better understanding of what the exact situation is.

You can be assertive with British Police in such circumstances, although stay polite, and they will not give you any problems. Ask to speak with the officer who has day-to-day responsibility for the investigation into Antonino going missing. This will usually either be a dedicated Lost Person Search Manager (LPSM) or a officer of the rank of sergeant.

There must be doorbell CCTV somewhere as at least that would give a clue as too where Antonio headed. All we know if which way he turned after the station but he could have gone back on himself or anything. If he fell into the river I think the nearest water is Limehouse cut. One particular side of this location looks pretty hazardous.

The nearest water canal/river is a kilometre from the Bow Road Station. By all accounts Antonino was visibly unwell. I really don't think it is very likely that someone in such difficulty would walk a kilometre passed shops, garages, a police station, people etc without seeking some help and then end up by the water.

I think they should issue the last CCTV image.

Now 11 days on and nothing really from police. I wonder if perhaps they DO feel he has gone missing of his own accord?

That the police haven't released the last CCTV indicates that they are pursuing credible lines of enquiry. The UK police never give running commentary on their investigations.

Last edited:
It’s absolutely heartbreaking to see AC’s mum reposting the same appeals or asking saints for help every day on social media :(

I can’t get my head round the fact that AC went missing at Bow Road tube station and yet Richmond are dealing with it. Hope the London Met are now involved. What are they doing?

Just as an example, where I live, North Yorkshire Police (NYP) put out an appeal this morning for a guy who had been reported missing in Barnsley, South Yorkshire, but who was believed to have travelled to Selby, North Yorkshire, some 40 miles/65km away. Hence, the case was promptly passed on to NYP who very sadly found him dead a few hours after their appeal and intensive searches. And NYP haven’t exactly covered themselves in glory in the past re. missing people, by the way (see Claudia Lawrence).

Hopefully, AC’s case is totally different and he’s going to be found alive and well. But why is the approach so different and why haven’t we had any appeals from Tower Hamlets Police or whichever district should be looking for him in East London? Ok, Richmond and Bow are only 20 miles away, but population down there is huge and the two areas are relatively far from each other.

In short: no appeal from East London police, Met or else. When Sarah Everard went missing a few months ago, the alarm was raised by friend and family as quickly as it was for Antonino. But Police started looking for her immediately. Whilst AC is a man, he was arguably more vulnerable (if he was feeling so sick) and the circumstances more unusual. Is it just because he’s a ‘foreign waiter’? I really, really hope not …

The police station covering the area from where the person is missing takes the missing person report and has responsibility for the missing person investigation.

Richmond upon Thames is in the Metropolitan Police District as is Bow Police Station .

Actions will be requested of other stations/forces who may be able to assist based on the identified lines of enquiry.

My second reply to you. Can I ask where you think he might have gone after turning into Mornington Grove? I know you don't have a crystal ball but your experience and your SAR too might give you some intuition or some places to consider?

I have no idea whether or not AC turned into Mornington Grove. It was a possible suggestion that I made were it me who was feeling very nauseous...... to turn off the main road as soon as possible and into a quieter street. I would say that having now looked at the CCTV images from the station, AC doesn't look as though he is in any great discomfort.

The police have appealed for Antonino or anyone who knows where he is to get in touch. To me this shows that there is no indication of foul play or that he was ill or injured to any great detriment. I think the police believe AC is still alive and well and has left of his own volition.

Hi!

Can someone confirm these photos are from Bow road station ? I was of the idea that the station didn't have stairs going up from the rails ?

If these are from day of disappearance then I can share a plausible theory. I am originally from Positano but live abroad. Been back home for some days now and was able to investigate locally on AC background. Some dots have connected. But the video / photos of the day of disappearance remain key.

Has it actually been confirmed by police that he was seen vomiting outside the station on CCTV? There is lots of mention of this on the thread but I can't see where the information came from. Please could someone point me in the direction of the source?

Hi!

Can someone confirm these photos are from Bow road station ? I was of the idea that the station didn't have stairs going up from the rails ?

If these are from day of disappearance then I can share a plausible theory. I am originally from Positano but live abroad. Been back home for some days now and was able to investigate locally on AC background. Some dots have connected. But the video / photos of the day of disappearance remain key.
If you mean the CCTV photo then yes.

I have no idea whether or not AC turned into Mornington Grove. It was a possible suggestion that I made were it me who was feeling very nauseous...... to turn off the main road as soon as possible and into a quieter street. I would say that having now looked at the CCTV images from the station, AC doesn't look as though he is in any great discomfort.

The police have appealed for Antonino or anyone who knows where he is to get in touch. To me this shows that there is no indication of foul play or that he was ill or injured to any great detriment. I think the police believe AC is still alive and well and has left of his own volition.

Thank you. I also thought he would turn right again to be unwell and get to somewhere quiet, but as time went on I began to think like you. I need to go back and re-read the wording I read last night about Mornington Grove. I can't remember if it was 'in the direction of M Grove' or he turned into there - I will check later.

If LE has seen bank card activity or phone activity would that perhaps make them put out the appeal for him to get in touch?

Thanks again for your insight.

Thinking same. Also crossed my mind about a car last night when looking at the Google map of Mornington and Eleanor. A pick up spot?

All seems a bit cloak and dagger even though I say it myself. There is probably a simple answer and that is intentional, or unintentional and he collapsed somewhere and succumbed, maybe inside a disused garden or outbuilding.

Have we considered the local footbridge and if it has cameras?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cariboucampfire73
Back