Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #56

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly I'm not convinced that the 8/30 text actually occurred because the "last text" specified on the hard drive search warrant was the "stan" text on 8/27. I can't help but think the 8/30 text was a pretense just to get the case moving. And they did not bring it up again. JMO

BBM:
Hmmm... the Petito's attorney seems to think (or know) the 8/30 text occurred:

"No service in Yosemite," read the last text from Petito's phone to her mom, Nichole Schmidt, on August 30, attorney Richard Stafford confirmed.

Gabby Petito's mother says her last text said there was 'no service in Yosemite' - but she doesn't believe it was from her daughter

I agree with you. Seeing he can't be charged for using a card in his name then it is in someone else's. Not only did we assume it was in her name we have learned on the Dr. Phil show that Gabby's parents tell us its her card.

Now, that said, the whole deafening of the charges, to me, is the fact that it was used after they calculated when she died.

Even while alive if Gabby allowed him to use it, once she was deceased it then became stolen property.

Gabby Petito's Family Says Brian Laundrie Stole Her Credit Card to Go Home to Florida
Question for the legal minds...
Are statements by either Gabby's parents or Brian's parent considered fact at this point realizing the FBI is involved when made public? It would help me figure out what to place where, in that spot in my brain that is a bit divided between assumptions and facts. Thanks in advance for any thoughts or insight!

Has anyone discussed Ashleigh Banfield’s incredible find last night?

Ashleigh Banfield is a long time legal analyst. I don’t believe she is a licensed attorney but IMO she has clearly displayed that she has learned quite a lot on the job. MOO.

Please stick with me here.

The Mustang Abandoned Vehicle Report is here: https://twitter.com/BrianEntin/status/1445796327397416960

In order to be classified as abandoned, it seems quite clear that the vehicle must first be present at the location for 5 days:

Sec. 42-56. - Findings.

(c) The Florida Legislature … has prescribed procedures which may be followed by municipalities for the proper removal and disposal of abandoned and unlawfully parked vehicles.
(d) The city commission of the City of North Port, Florida, finds that the amendment of its existing ordinance provisions … consistent with state law...

Sec. 42-57. - Definitions.

Abandoned vehicle. …Vehicles on public property … which have been left for a period of five days or longer shall be presumed to be abandoned.

Sec. 42-58. - Abandonment prohibited.

It shall be unlawful for any person to abandon any vehicle upon public property within the corporate limits of the City of North Port, Florida. Any vehicle … left upon public property for a period of five days or longer shall be presumed to be abandoned…

Municode Library

The incident was written up on Tuesday, September 14, 2021. Going backwards, here is where we land:

Day 5: Tuesday, September 14, 2021
Day 4: Monday, September 13, 2021
Day 3: Sunday, September 12, 2021
Day 2: Saturday, September 11, 2021
Day 1: Friday, September 10, 2021

BL had been gone for days, maybe since the camping trip. This is MOO. But, unless LE made an error in issuing this incident report, LE and the FBI know that the laundrie timeline is untrue. MOO
Actually I believe she made a mistake. He was cited for Sec 42-56 which is just them noting the vehicle. 5 days later from then, it will be cited for Sec 42.57 then towed away.

Ashleigh Banfield is a long time legal analyst. I don’t believe she is a licensed attorney but IMO she has clearly displayed that she has learned quite a lot on the job. MOO.

The Mustang Abandoned Vehicle Report is here: https://twitter.com/BrianEntin/status/1445796327397416960

In order to be classified as abandoned, it seems quite clear that the vehicle must first be present at the location for 5 days:

Sec. 42-56. - Findings.

(c) The Florida Legislature … has prescribed procedures which may be followed by municipalities for the proper removal and disposal of abandoned and unlawfully parked vehicles.
(d) The city commission of the City of North Port, Florida, finds that the amendment of its existing ordinance provisions … consistent with state law...

Abandoned vehicle. …Vehicles on public property … which have been left for a period of five days or longer shall be presumed to be abandoned.

It shall be unlawful for any person to abandon any vehicle upon public property within the corporate limits of the City of North Port, Florida. Any vehicle … left upon public property for a period of five days or longer shall be presumed to be abandoned…

Municode Library

The incident was written up on Tuesday, September 14, 2021. Going backwards, here is where we land:

BL had been gone for days, maybe since the camping trip. This is MOO. But, unless LE made an error in issuing this incident report, LE and the FBI know that the laundrie timeline is untrue. MOO

I do not think he came home from the camping trip.

My point is maybe the 8/27 text was not enough to get LE involved and take them seriously. It was never heard of again and all the media replaced it as the last text from Gabby's phone.
It's one more piece of the puzzle, and to me it blows out of the water any pretext that Brian didn't know that she was dead when he took off. Many a murderer has sent fake texts/letters/cards to their victims families to keep up the charade. Ed Shin kept it up for almost a year, trying to lead his victim's family to believe that he'd gone on a sailing trip around the world. Innocent people just don't send fake texts, even if you just believe that he left because he "freaked out" upon finding her dead.

Sec. 42-56. - Findings.

Municode Library

Good job! :)

Actually I believe she made a mistake. He was cited for Sec 42-56 which is just them noting the vehicle. 5 days later from then, it will be cited for Sec 42.57 then towed away.
I disagree. The report states "Abandoned Vehicle" on its face and references the section which goes on to define an abandoned vehicle as one having been left for 5 days. MOO It's all part of the same section. MOO.

I see what you're saying - that it could be a warning. But, I think a warning would be labeled as a warning, not an incident. Still, a very large portion of the report was redacted so we can't definitively know. LE knows the real deal. IMO he was gone after the welfare check, maybe even before (the camping trip). They came home from camping trip without BL, and dropped the car at the reserve. MOO. JMO. IMO. Theory, not fact.

Last edited:
I had this thought today on my drive home. & this is pure speculation. The parents said he went to the Carlton Reserve. What if that was true…partially. How easy would it be - before he was reported missing & the FBI was involved in searching - for a family friend or relative to have signed a 1 year lease on an apartment & paid a few months rent in advance, then picked him up at the Carlton Reserve - & he’s sitting there chilling in an apartment & just not coming out? We all kinda went with what the parents said bc it made sense. He’s an outdoorsman, he likes to hike, & camp, etc. It made sense. The FBI wouldn’t have been monitoring communications at the time. & idk…that’s just an example but I feel like it could have been so so easy for something else to have happened & that’s a little frustrating. JMO & pure speculation.

SBM because IMO sometimes we need the levity.

Let’s throw in Liam Neeson, Ted Kaczynski, Cheryl Strayed and the whole gang from Scooby Doo and we’ll have ourselves a TEAM.
I’ll add that because of gabby I spoke to my daughter about a safe word that we now have and that I had never thought of before, if she’s ever in trouble she now knows to text me our word and I’ll track her on life 360 and call the police. All because of gabby.

Hell, I got trackers for my daughter's trip across the country, she didn't like it LOL, but I told it it was either this or facetime me once she got where she was going for the evening, and I had to make sure she recharged it . It was the best 100 bucks spent for a little peace of mind.

Its not perfect though across Montana service was spotty but I especially liked it you could have it send notifications when it was moving etc.

Sec. 42-56. - Findings.

Municode Library

Do those rules apply at a National Park?

I disagree. The report states "Abandoned Vehicle" on its face and references the section which goes on to define an abandoned vehicle as having been left for 5 days. MOO It's all part of the same section. MOO. I see what you're saying - that it could be a warning. But, I think a warning would be labeled as a warning, not an incident. Still, a very large portion of the report was redacted so we can't definitively know. LE knows the real deal. IMO he was gone after the welfare check, maybe even before (the camping trip). They came home from camping trip without BL, and dropped the car at the reserve. MOO. JMO. IMO. Theory, not fact.
Maybe this will help you understand:
What are Florida’s vehicle abandonment laws? | WFLA
According to the law, cars and trucks and other vehicles are property just like any other object.

If it gets left on the side of the road or on public property without being picked up or taken away by the owner, it can be considered “a public nuisance” and law enforcement officers have to place a notice on it, telling the owner or other interested persons that the object or vehicle is unlawfully on public property and has to be removed within five days.

Once that notice is placed, it’s up to the owner to pay for the cost of removal, storage, and publication of the notice. That legal document has to have the description of the item, where it can be found, and must be signed and dated for when the notice is posted.
The officer who places the notice also has to provide information like their name, title, contact address and phone number to be reached at about the item or car in question.
Notices have to be at least eight by 10 inches and weatherproofed. Officers also have to try to track down the owner to let them know their property is somewhere it shouldn’t be.
If it’s a motor vehicle, like a car, the law enforcement agency also has to let the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles know the name and address of the person who has filed a lien on the vehicle, if applicable.

So they placed the notice, contacted the owner of the car which is one of his parent, told them the address of the car location that is how they knew where exactly to pick up the mustang.

This client rehabilitation phase is stomach turning (IMO). I wonder how much of it was spurred by CaL speaking out earlier in the week.

"The preserve has been closed to the public and the Laundries as well but the parents have been cooperating since the search began," the Laundrie family attorney, Steven Bertolino, said in a statement.

https://twitter.com/Newsweek/status/1446260558290882563

We've likely all heard the story (probably a myth) that Sir Arthur Conan Doyle sent telegrams to 12 upstanding acquaintances in the community saying "Flee, all is discovered." And most of them did.

While flight can be used legally in court as evidence of guilt, there are times it's evidence of guilt but not because the person is guilty of the crime currently being prosecuted. But we all feel guilty about something.

IF BL didn't kill GP (big if) I could still see him fleeing IF he found GB dead at the campsite. Fear of being accused especially after Moab and the Mexican restaurant, fear of being in danger from "the killer" himself (if he believed she was murdered), guilt over what happened to GP. Innocent people DO leave crime scenes. They DO leave the bodies of loved ones. They DO engage in stupid incriminating actions.

I'm not saying I think BL is innocent. I haven't fully decided but think he's likely guilty. But if I were a juror, I'd need to see alot more than testimony G&B fought alot and slapped each other around, she was killed, and he fled to be convinced of his guilt beyond a reasonable doubt.
JMO

If I was on the jury I would believe the panic leading to fleeing argument *only* if BL had a history of being accused of things that he wasn't guilty of, and running was the only thing he'd done. Maybe then it could make sense in his case to flee. But when the woman he loves most in the world is lying there dead and he takes her van and uses her credit cards to go get a lawyer in Florida, and then disappears for 2+ weeks, it doesn't look good for him.

Nothing about his actions, not just the running part, but then the disappearing part, indicate "potentially innocent" to me. It would be stunning to me if he's ever determined by a jury to be innocent of murder, given nearly all of his actions after August 30-31. It's not as simple as running, it's everything he's done. He's also probably destroyed evidence and stolen numerous things. Her phone. Her van. The tent. etc.

IMO

I honestly don’t know how they’re holding it together, I’d be a mess if this was me with my daughter who’s 19. To be as composed and united as they are is a testament to them. Truly and genuinely they’re incredible and I’ll add one million percent real and honest. I can totally empathise with them all. The stuff they’re doing for domestic violence is amazing, even getting the word out and the true facts of this type of violence, so hopefully we can all recognise it before it’s too late and so soon after gabby, hats off to them. I’m a victim from a previous relationship and I appreciate what they’re doing so much. Education I can’t plug it enough.
I don’t know how they deal with these details.
I know her dad wants BL to only see the inside a cement cell forever. No mountains.

MOO
With lots of plastic.

Maybe this will help you understand:
What are Florida’s vehicle abandonment laws? | WFLA
According to the law, cars and trucks and other vehicles are property just like any other object.

If it gets left on the side of the road or on public property without being picked up or taken away by the owner, it can be considered “a public nuisance” and law enforcement officers have to place a notice on it, telling the owner or other interested persons that the object or vehicle is unlawfully on public property and has to be removed within five days.

Once that notice is placed, it’s up to the owner to pay for the cost of removal, storage, and publication of the notice. That legal document has to have the description of the item, where it can be found, and must be signed and dated for when the notice is posted.
The officer who places the notice also has to provide information like their name, title, contact address and phone number to be reached at about the item or car in question.
Notices have to be at least eight by 10 inches and weatherproofed. Officers also have to try to track down the owner to let them know their property is somewhere it shouldn’t be.
If it’s a motor vehicle, like a car, the law enforcement agency also has to let the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles know the name and address of the person who has filed a lien on the vehicle, if applicable.

So they placed the notice, contacted the owner of the car which is one of his parent, told them the address of the car location that is how they knew where exactly to pick up the mustang.

It was an incident report, not a notice or warning. But since it is admittedly REDACTED, and neither of us is a Florida LE officer or attorney I suppose either scenario could be plausible. IMO, I think Banfield caught something (something potentially game changing). MOO I do not even believe a Florida attorney could say either interpretation is right or wrong without the redactions being lifted. MOO

I have a little personal experience with using funds after the account holder dies.

My BF was POA for her sister, for what was to be a short rehab stay. Her sister died unexpectedly. BF paid the balance of funeral expenses on sister debit card. The morning of the funeral, we get a call, the bank had reversed the transaction, as fraudulent charge.

We called the bank and were informed POA ends at death and the funds were considered stolen. Lucky, it's a small town and the bank knew them both and no charges were filed.

No one can use funds from a persons account after death, even with a will, even with prior permission.

I image the bank is who filed the charge.

Moo...

It probably was a card for GP's account. BUT we don't know that for sure IMO.

While it's true all kinds of things happen if a bank is notified of a death (accounts frozen, safety deposit boxes sealed and any POA automatically ended at death), knowing all that and knowing BL has been charged doesn't allow us to work backwards and be absolutely sure it was her card. From what the attorney said, it also could have been a card GP was given to use in case of emergency-- hence "her card." And BL's use wouldn't have been legal in that case either.
JMO

I had this thought today on my drive home. & this is pure speculation. The parents said he went to the Carlton Reserve. What if that was true…partially. How easy would it be - before he was reported missing & the FBI was involved in searching - for a family friend or relative to have signed a 1 year lease on an apartment & paid a few months rent in advance, then picked him up at the Carlton Reserve - & he’s sitting there chilling in an apartment & just not coming out? We all kinda went with what the parents said bc it made sense. He’s an outdoorsman, he likes to hike, & camp, etc. It made sense. The FBI wouldn’t have been monitoring communications at the time. & idk…that’s just an example but I feel like it could have been so so easy for something else to have happened & that’s a little frustrating. JMO & pure speculation.

I just don't think a friend or relative would take on BL or sign a lease. That is an enormous ask of someone and I can't imagine who would feel comfortable with that.
Morally and legally so many issues.
I think his parents let him go to the reserve without notifying LE even though they knew he wasn't coming back. From there I think he has done whatever on his own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HoyaMathilde