Still Missing CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #84

Status
Not open for further replies.
It all comes down to if she changed out of the bathing suit she took her "last proof of life" in.

She may have taken that photo and changed, or she was murdered while wearing it, and Barry took it off after killing her and put it in the closet.

I think he removed her clothing but am undecided on whether he would think about redressing her.
Like @Skigh said, I think he possibly assaulted her and she is most likely naked. :(
But he did have time to rethink this.

I agree, @Murphy1950. I think maybe JR was feeling a little conflicted by then. She may have heard or seen something BM said or did that made her uneasy. Also, if the phone records retrieved from BM’s cell were correct, SM’s “I’m done” text was sent when she was over having coffee with JR. If SM was confiding in JR about leaving BM, she may have told her not to come by the house because she knew BM would be in a rage.
I always thought, and mentioned it as a possibility in the early threads, that JR may have said something to LE when they first responded to JR’s call reporting SM missing that contributed to LE’s early suspicion of BM.
Aside from that, it appears the Ritters were friends as well as neighbors. It was the daughters who called her first when they couldn’t reach their Mom. MR was in on the early searches with BM. Maybe it was he who suggested they allow BM to stay with them.
At 6:09 in the PE extended interview with AM, he talks about arriving in Maysville about 8:00 pm on 5/11. He said BM’s house was locked down so he stayed at an AirBnB almost next door down the driveway from BM’s house, (Cushman’s) and about 6:20 he says “at that time BM was staying with the neighbors at a house across the river basically right behind his house.” This was when I made the assumption that BM was at the Ritters’. There is one other home over there, but when I searched the public records, I found that the house belongs to a couple that I have never heard mentioned in conjunction with this case.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjZ-4uAnMDzAhWnqHIEHd9LCg4QtwJ6BAgCEAM&url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkQsQL1gkco&usg=AOvVaw06f6DwFhZuehgXFmmRlSPF

100% SOLD. Great Post @OldCop (?:)) Thanks so much for this detail. It had to be the Ritter's. I do remember hearing recently Martin was part of the search party, either the PH or AA

The coffee story also ties in…Jean may have offered to go back to the house with her. I remember you saying very early on that you thought Jean (the Ritter's) may have said something that got first responders’ attention. I think they absolutely did and you also had responders who were savvy at their job, paying attention. Galls me that Barry couldn’t wait to trash them to try and distance himself from possibly being considered present at the staging scene.

Boy it’s hard to look at the older video and not literally feel their pain. It was so much to process initially; I remember seeing videos and being overwhelmed with the vastness of the topography to search. I remember really not knowing what mountain biking was until DAVEF posted a video. Along the way we were introduced to Lauren, Mike King, Chris, Andy and Gene, and the story moved along ever so s l o w l y.

The DA has to get Barry out of the neighborhood. That just isn’t right.

Last edited:
100% SOLD. Great Post @OldCop (?:)) Thanks so much for this detail. It had to be the Ritter's. I do remember hearing recently Martin was part of the search party, either the PH or AA

The coffee story also ties in…Jean may have offered to go back to the house with her. I remember you saying very early on that you thought Jean (the Ritter's) may have said something that got first responders’ attention. I think they absolutely did and you also had responders who were savvy at their job, paying attention. Galls me that Barry couldn’t wait to trash them to try and distance himself from possibly being considered present at the staging scene.

Boy it’s hard to look at the older video and not literally feel their pain. It was so much to process initially; I remember seeing videos and being overwhelmed with the vastness of the topography to search. I remember really not knowing what mountain biking was until DAVEF posted a video. Along the way we were introduced to Lauren. Mike King, Chris, Andy and Gene, and the story moved along ever so s l o w l y.

The DA has to get Barry out of the neighborhood. That just isn’t right.

After hearing the interview with Suzanne's sister, I thought she immediately called LE after finding out Suzanne was missing, but now, knowing that Jean and Suzanne were friends and had coffee together, I'm guessing it was something Jean said during the initial call that alerted LE so quickly that something was off.

MOO

Really sorry for my post, but it's playing on my mind.

Suzanne's clothing, when they find her, and I do think she will be found one day (I really want her to be able to go home to her friends and family, can't bear the thought of her being alone and left out in the cold, dumped, just lying there under a rock/tree/alfalfa :()
What will she be wearing, if any evidence of clothing left? How much was thought about/ planned, BM had a LONG time to think about this from 2.48pm to 4.30am (ish) - will she be in biking clothing, just in case she was found, will she be in white vest top and shorts or something else?
I think she will be naked because I believe BM *did* find out about the affair and I think his story of their last night "we made love" is telling as to what happened before he killed her. JMO

I think she will be naked because I believe BM *did* find out about the affair and I think his story of their last night "we made love" is telling as to what happened before he killed her. JMO

Definitely think Barry violated her that night and she was sedated and near dead or even dead at that point. Truly vile. During LE interviews, Barry perseverates on "making love" with Suzanne, as if to convince himself of it because he knows he forced himself on her.

my opinions only

Really sorry for my post, but it's playing on my mind.

Suzanne's clothing, when they find her, and I do think she will be found one day (I really want her to be able to go home to her friends and family, can't bear the thought of her being alone and left out in the cold, dumped, just lying there under a rock/tree/alfalfa :()
What will she be wearing, if any evidence of clothing left? How much was thought about/ planned, BM had a LONG time to think about this from 2.48pm to 4.30am (ish) - will she be in biking clothing, just in case she was found, will she be in white vest top and shorts or something else?

I think Barry planned this many weeks/months in advance and so he had plenty of time to figure out how to permanently dispose of the body. He was also so confident in LE interviews about the absence of evidence in the house. Almost in a taunting way. While he was sloppy and bumbling in some areas of his cover up, I think he had the issue of the body well planned and thought out. Sadly, I don't think her body will ever be found unless he reveals this info. And I don't think he will.

my opinions only

It all comes down to if she changed out of the bathing suit she took her "last proof of life" in.

She may have taken that photo and changed, or she was murdered while wearing it, and Barry took it off after killing her and put it in the closet.
This is my thought as well. He snuck up on her while she was outside and sedated her, then chased her...

I do think Barry was likely fooling around, but it doesn't appear MG had any knowledge of this. She apparently didn't tell law enforcement anything in that regard, and I'm sure they asked.

That's a super common expression, and it can mean there is another woman, or it can simply mean "I'm not having an affair with him."

I believe it was meant solely as the latter.

I didn’t agree with you about this many months and threads ago, but I think I’ve come around to your side. When I first heard MG say “I’m not the other woman” it was during the live interview and I think we discussed this immediately after. I contended then that the emphasis was on I. As in - I’m not the other woman <but implied that there is one>.

Listening to the video again, starting at 1:00, MG actually emphasizes the word NOT.

I concede to you @MassGuy, it appears she was simply saying she’s not the other woman (not having an affair), that she is just a woman.

If so, I doubt SM was a willing participant. moo
I agree. I think BM came home to find SM sunbathing in her bikini and chased her to the bedroom not with a gun in his hand but with the tranquilizer syringe inside his pocket where BM's intent was to get SM on the bed where he injected her and likely had sex with SM. I think this is how the sheets and his shorts with the tranquilizer sheath ended up in the clothes dryer. I also think that SM was likely removed from PP wrapped in the brown towel (towel never located just as SM's body has never been recovered). MOO

Colorado eyes future of virtual court in post-pandemic world

Oct 8, 2021

To go to court in Colorado these days, you might need to drive to the courthouse, park, pass through security — belts and watches off, please — don a mask (or maybe not) and put your seat in a seat. Or you might just curl up on your couch, power up a laptop and log in to a video chat for virtual court.

It all depends on which judge is hearing your case and what exactly you need to get done.

Colorado’s initially ubiquitous use of virtual courts during the pandemic has faded into a patchwork of judge-by-judge decisions about when proceedings go forward in-person or online, even as many in the justice system call for some virtual options to be preserved post-COVID.

[..]

The Colorado Supreme Court has yet to put out any detailed statewide guidance for how virtual courts should be used long-term, but Chief Justice Brian Boatright recently formed a working group of eight chief judges to examine how online courts work (and when they don’t) as a precursor to potential long-term strategies, said Weld County Chief Judge James Hartmann, who co-chairs the chief judge’s council.

[..]

After hearing the interview with Suzanne's sister, I thought she immediately called LE after finding out Suzanne was missing, but now, knowing that Jean and Suzanne were friends and had coffee together, I'm guessing it was something Jean said during the initial call that alerted LE so quickly that something was off.

MOO

I think maybe JR knew that Suzanne drove her bike to the trails she rode on. If they chatted often and had coffee, I'm sure Suzanne would have talked about her new interest in mountain biking and maybe which trails she tried. If it was known that she didn't ride from the house to any of those trails, but instead drove the bike to an area with trails that weren't so difficult, then I think JR suspected right away that something was off with the bike story since the car was in the garage.

All MOO, but if Suzanne told JR about any of the divorce talk, then that combined with the odd way the bike ride would have happened and Barry being out of town.. she likely suspected right away.

Respectfully, I think you may have meant Adventures with Garbage.

But really, if you met your soul mate at a dumpster, wouldn't you tweak that tale? Met in a cul de sac, met near an asthetically unimaginative 5 rock cluster, anything but a dumpster.

I don't know anyone who spends so much time with dumpsters.

Maybe he's just really good at throwing everything away.

JMO

BBM. Omg, dying over here. An unimaginative 5-rock cluster. Hahahaha!

And just jumping off this post to say, no way do I believe for a second that BM and SD did not meet until October 2020. Give me a break.

I also do not believe for a second that the package was mistakenly delivered to Puma Path. He hasn't been living there for almost a year and a half and that is the first time that a delivery person ever made a mistake? Please. I could've bought it if it was a few weeks after Suzanne's disappearance, but find it beyond coincidental that it happened within a few days of him being out of jail and living right there.

No, IMO, he did it on purpose, to test whether there was surveillance, and whether somebody was monitoring it. And he was willing to sacrifice his girlfriend to do it. What a standup guy. But we already knew his views on women.

Who was it that said that there are no coincidences in murder? Was it Lt. Joe Kenda? Even if it wasn't, anytime I think of a good quote about murder, I just assume he said it. Love that guy!

Last edited:

In order to really sell his bike ride story, Suzanne should be found wearing her biking clothes. I think Barry was confident that she would never be found so he didn't bother with dressing her in it, but I'm sure he would have gotten rid of it. She probably had more than one outfit, but wasn't BM seen with her turquoise riding jacket in a surveillance video?

In order to really sell his bike ride story, Suzanne should be found wearing her biking clothes. I think Barry was confident that she would never be found so he didn't bother with dressing her in it, but I'm sure he would have gotten rid of it. She probably had more than one outfit, but wasn't BM seen with her turquoise riding jacket in a surveillance video?
That video looked that way apparently. I'm sure those biking clothes were thrown during one of those trash dumps.

Which makes me think about just how much trash he had in the aftermath of the murder.

Tranquilizer materials, biking clothes, then what?

BBM. Omg, dying over here. An unimaginative 5-rock cluster. Hahahaha!

And just jumping off this post to say, no way do I believe for a second that BM and SD did not meet until October 2020. Give me a break.

I also do not believe for a second that that the package was mistakenly delivered to Puma Path. He hasn't been living there for almost a year and a half and that is the first time that a delivery person ever made a mistake? Please. I could've bought it if it was a few weeks after Suzanne's disappearance, but find it beyond coincidental that it happened within a few days of him being out of jail and living right there.

No, IMO, he did it on purpose, to test whether there was surveillance, and whether somebody was monitoring it. And he was willing to sacrifice his girlfriend to do it. What a standup guy. But we already knew that.

Who was it that said that there are no coincidences in murder? Was it Lt. Joe Kenda? Even if it wasn't, anytime I think of a good quote about murder, I just assume he said it. Love that guy!
I’m in the minority (perhaps a minority of 1) that believes that Barry happily changed his address to Cushmans so he could get back on his supplements ASAP after leaving his cell. FedEx most likely does not get a lot of deliveries for that address, since it’s usually an AirBnB with no long term renters who would get packages delivered by FedEx. Ubereats or grocery delivery is more likely, if that’s even a thing in Maysville. It’s one digit different than 19057. I think it was a mistake. And then SD thought it was perfectly fine to trespass on private property on the behalf of her accused killer boyfriend. If the delivery was actually intentional, that makes Barry either stupid, oblivious, ballsy, cavalier, and very confident he is untouchable.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members