Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #59

Status
Not open for further replies.
ALL SPECULATION:

I believe she could have been pushed or punched at and she could have fallen, hitting her head on a rock... head wounds are unpredictable- many people recover from them, but every now and then one person hits another really hard or a person falls down and that is it.

someone else posted high and low temps for Jackson Hole in August and the lows are in the 30s. add hypothermia to any other injury and there you go. IMO

Just speculation: He wouldn't be on the lam. MOO

Possibly she didn't want to be alone in the van at a campsite? A hotel room may have made a difference when it came to being alone. I would feel more comfortable there than in a dark, strange site by myself. Who knows....
I agree she would feel more comfortable in a hotel room. I can’t help but wonder if she stayed in the hotel room that was being put up for BL due to their DV incident. And then he told her to stay there while he goes home
Possibly she didn't want to be alone in the van at a campsite? A hotel room may have made a difference when it came to being alone. I would feel more comfortable there than in a dark, strange site by myself. Who knows....
I absolutely agree she would have felt safer in a hotel rather than her van. However, once again, money comes into question. How are they paying for airfare, hotel rooms, etc if BL flew to FL to empty the storage unit “to save money so they could extend their trip.” Is it possible GP stayed in the hotel room the police and victims advocate agency put BL in? Whether they agreed to have space or he just decided to leave because he was so angry with her? The female officer mention Gabby would have a court date. But I don’t know if they followed through with that. It almost seems as if BL abruptly left, planning to leave GP there on her own. How we he changed his mind and that’s why he was hitchhiking to get back to her. I suppose phone records have revealed alot to LE.

ALL SPECULATION:

I believe she could have been pushed or punched at and she could have fallen, hitting her head on a rock... head wounds are unpredictable- many people recover from them, but every now and then one person hits another really hard or a person falls down and that is it.

someone else posted high and low temps for Jackson Hole in August and the lows are in the 30s. add hypothermia to any other injury and there you go. IMO
BBM
I considered that, but then the manner of death would be "accidental".

Could Brian Laundrie still be alive if he's in Florida's Carlton Reserve? Here's what survival experts think - CNN

I haven't kept up much with this case so I apologize in advance if it's outdated or unreliable source. That article quotes some outdoor survival experts. They think it's most likely that either he's not there or no longer alive.

No way could he still be alive if he was in there IMO. Esp after I watched a few episodes of Dual Survivor. If you haven't seen it I recommend at least one episode on Discovery. MOO He's nowhere near the level of a survivalist IMO from what we know of him.

He may have been an off the grid camper, but he was never off the grid to our knowledge without food, shelter, or water. MOO.

Last edited:
At first I thought you were asking the location of the anaconda in my dream :D

I'm not sure what I've read or where/when at this point. I just know that I've seen/heard at least 2 sources, one was a statement from the officer herself earlier in the threads. *it was a link to a statement made by the female officer, not a statement made here in a WS post

Last edited:
ALL SPECULATION:

Something more obvious to result in homicide being stated so quickly. MOO.

WRT BL being common-looking or average-looking or escaping the eye of the casual observer: He has distinctive eyes, nose, and ears, and IMHO many of us Websleuthers would have no trouble spotting him.

I'm not sure I'd be able to identify him. I could, if he were isolated. I could, if he were in a police lineup. I could, if he moved onto my floor in my high rise.

However, if he walked by me on a crowded Manhattan sidewalk, I doubt tremendously that I’d spot him. It’s not true that New Yorkers are unfriendly, but it is true that on a street with a hundred people jostling you, we don’t make much eye contact. We need to navigate the crowd, look out for traffic, avoid the street vendors who take up sidewalk space and just get to where we are going.

Brian could be in front of me or behind me and I’d never see his face. If I DID see his face, he’d have to linger just a second or two so that I could properly assess his features, and I’d have to linger as well.

It’s going to get cold here soon. Beyond a covid mask, if he is in NYC he will have a wool cap on, most likely, and the baldness wouldn’t be visible. A beanie cap would cover some of his distinctive eyebrows as well. If he has a scarf he could tuck his chin into that. His tattoos would not be visible in winter clothing.

All of that would also be predicated on him not having changed his appearance. He could have gone blond, or shaved his facial hair. He may have an idiosyncratic gait, but no one on the streets of Manhattan is going to pause long enough to appraise that. Besides which, there will be 50 similar guys on every block.

Here (unfortunately) is where I’d go if I were Brian. He could go to free soup kitchens. A homeless shelter would require an intake procedure so he’d need ID, so I don’t know where he’d stay.

All this is of course JMO MOO IMO.
And also, MBIT (My Brain Is Tired).

ETA: if my homie fellow New Yorker @squareandrabbet is around, I'm wondering if you agree or disagree.

Last edited:
WRT BL being common-looking or average-looking or escaping the eye of the casual observer: He has distinctive eyes, nose, and ears, and IMHO many of us Websleuthers would have no trouble spotting him.

Not to forget his personality where he tries to be super friendly to get you onto his side (should he need that from you). Then flies into a rage when things don't go as he wants. So distinctive looks and "interesting" personality.

I'm going to throw this idea out here too:

Brian likely escaped by boat. (This theory requires 1 person unknown to us helping Brian) At Fort Desoto, during the night, he climbed on a tender that was prearranged (or hell, even an inflatable paddle board he brought with him and blew up at the campsite) and is now hiding comfortably on someone's boat. Someone the family knows. It's hard to hide on a boat by yourself. Dock neighbors can tell if someone is living on a boat and watch their movements, notice things ("Hey, their air conditioner is on but 'Bob' hasn't been around").
Even modest boats have AC and a toilet that flushes. You wouldn't even need to show your face outside. All a fugitive would need is someone (the boat owner) to pretend to go about their business, bring food and supplies back to the boat like usual, and none would be the wiser.

I thought the first thing the FBI would do is to check the fuel docks in the area to see if anybody made a large purchase in preparation for an outing. Or dock cameras. Or slip reservations? Or marina store cameras?
MOO
edited for spelling and MBIT (My Brian is Tired too!)

Melissa Hulls. Interesting.

“I was probably more candid with her than I should've been,” Hulls recalls, warning Petito that her and Laundrie’s relationship had the markings of a “toxic” one.

“I was imploring with her to reevaluate the relationship, asking her if she was happy in the relationship with him, and basically saying this was an opportunity for her to find another path, to make a change in her life,” she said.

Arches park ranger warned Gabby Petito her relationship with Brian Laundrie seemed ‘toxic’

Not sure about anyone else on here but this sounds to me like Ranger Hulls knew BL was the aggressor, not GP. Yet, look at that Moab PD body cam. And, worse yet, the official written report by Pratt (whose body cam does not match his "official" report.) MOO

She was probably saving money for this wedding, I'm guessing. I'm hoping that BL didn't get his thieving hands on any of her wedding money, if she was indeed saving away for it. Grrrrr.

Well, we can't know if GP saved money for her wedding to BL. But it seems highly unlikely that working at Taco Bell for probably less than a year could pay for a van, a many months-long trip plus a wedding fund. And everyone seems to think Gabby paid for the van and the trip herself with BL along just to do the driving. (I don't think we know when she started at Taco Bell. But they left Publix after the pandemic started in early 2020 & they got engaged in July 2020. They left for NY in June 2021 and started their trip from there. And they had already called off the engagement long before they left on tbe trip supposedly.) It seems unlikely to me she saved "wedding money" but we really can't know one way or the other.

JMO

Yeah, it’s not quite like that (I was in NYC 2 weeks ago). I was in high-traffic areas—Williamsburg, Columbus Circle, Times Square and Penn Station—and subways—I took the A, C, L, and 1 trains—and if anything, actually saw decreased homeless presence/begging from when I lived in the city pre-pandemic.
The one advantage BL would have in NYC is that he would have to (or could) mask up everywhere he went and nobody would bat an eyelash. He could get on the Metro-North train into the city at the Appalachian Trail train stop in Dutchess County and be at Grand Central in an hour and a half, and he’d have to be masked the entire time.
Also remember, though, that he and Gabby are still in the news here almost daily. NYC is a city of typically connected people and even the commuters in NJ and CT have been saturated with info about this case because of the local connection. If he’s in the city and takes his mask off, he’d likely be screwed.
All ME/MOO.

ETA: FTR, I do not believe BL is in the NYC metro area.

Very interesting observation, @meatandcookies. I agree that NYC probably wouldn't appeal to BL, but he still might think it's a bit more "anonymous" than you have stated. Wouldn't that be a hoot, since there are NYC police everywhere, at least in Manhattan, from my touristy observations. But it would cost too much to stay and eat in M'hattan, IMO, and he is, ya know, a hiker and not a city mouse.
I certainly don't think he would go unidentified for any length of time on Long Island -- one place with which he should be very familiar. Upstate would indeed be better for him, but it surely gets cold up there...
And there is, apparently, a bit of the App Trail in Brooklyn! Go to it, BL!

Posted by @Alethea Thread 56 #585

The point here is that 18 USC 1029 makes the "bank rules" a felony. Whether people routinely commit felonies is another question.

The point of 18 USC 1029 is to protect banks and other corporations by making unauthorized access to accounts a felony. It was part of a hacking bill and it is misused by the feds (IMO) all the time. But the key point is that the access is granted by the financial institution. So using someone's PIN to gain unauthorized access to their account (because it is unauthorized in the eyes of the bank) is a crime.

That's why credit cards allow you to add "authorized users" to your account who get their own cards and numbers associated with your account. The bank has on record that those authorized users are permitted to access the credit line and you agree you will pay for the charges they make.

In this case the law does not care about individual people stealing other people's money. It cares about banks having to be responsible to pay back the true owner when they claim unauthorized access by another person.

The “No service in Yosemite” text was sent on August 30. According to the search warrant, which is dated September 15, Gabby’s phone was turned off for approximately 15 days starting August 31st or September 1st.

So it appears that her phone was still in his possession after August 30. Now the big question is, what did he do with her phone when he turned it off..
He could have tossed it in a lake or river anywhere between Wyoming and North Port.

I don't think it is about 'media appearances.' I think it is more about basic human decency.

Gabby's parents reached out in desperation, asking if they knew where the kids were. They said they hadn't heard from Gabby and she wasn't returning their calls.

So even if their son had told them some sob story about her deciding to stay in Wyoming, or whatever, wouldn't those calls give them pause? Didn't they have enough compassion to return the call and say something to help them begin searching?

No one is saying they should be appearing on Good Morning America. But couldn't they have told her parents where to begin looking for her?
How did they know where she was? I'm not understanding that logic. I'm beginning to think the expectations from them are unreasonable. They didn't leave without her, they didn't kill her, and their son is an adult. If Gabby's family wants to give them a hard time, fine...but the public harassment and bad-mouthing of them is uncalled for, IMO. But I'm an outlier on that, apparently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88