Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #62

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can we take a minute to discuss how hard it is to strangle someone to death? It's not like on TV. They pass out long before they die. So he would have to have continued to choke her for a couple of minutes after she stopped fighting. It's hard to call this kind of manual strangulation rage/crime of passion because a strangler does have to put so much effort into it.
yes, I think the hard part for me to swallow overall is unless you choke someone from behind, you are looking in their eyes as they die. Takes quite a while to do that.

Would the person that picked BL up hitch hiking possibly have seen bruises or scratches on him? Has she ever said?

I'm sure (or at least I hope) that LE will have questioned her and her bf thoroughly regarding this.

Someone mentioned that maybe the marks that look like blood spatter at the crime scene could possibly be BL's blood. Say, for example, if they argued, she hit him and bust his nose, and he retaliated, saw red and strangled her.

I wonder if his nose was swollen when he hitched a ride. Also, I wonder if, given the amount of time that would have elapsed from when GP was killed to when he returned to FL, it would've been sufficient time to allow any bruising to fade, swelling to reduce, or scratches to heal?

Were there any visible marks on him in the images CaL shared of the family trip to the campsite? (Surely she wouldn't be that foolish to share something that may incriminate him)

Just wondering if there were any signs of a struggle or altercation, but I'm guessing the Laundrie campsite outing was over a week later so it's not likely there were any visible marks once that period of time had passed.

MOO

I suspect Gabby may have tried to break up with him ?
Or at least confronted him about his behavior at the restaurant, or when they were alone -- and he understood it was over between them ?
She was done.
How I wish she'd contacted a family member and stayed put, in a public area.
With or without her van.
Not blaming her in the slightest.
Just wishing she could have escaped.
Imo.
It had to have been something like that. No way could he have wanted her out of his life. It had to be a 'if I can't have you' kind of thing. This is blowing my mind. <modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
keyword: domestic. Autopsy in and of itself would not reveal the killer, just that she was strangled...so it was later evidentiary stuff that identified that killer was her domestic partner. DNA, circumstantial evidence, but not the autopsy that Blue performed. jmo
Thanks for clarifying that, I guess it never dawned on me that DNA analysis wasn't explicitly part of an autopsy process.

keyword: domestic. Autopsy in and of itself would not reveal the killer, just that she was strangled...so it was later evidentiary stuff that identified that killer was her domestic partner. DNA, circumstantial evidence, but not the autopsy that Blue performed. jmo
Quote: " keyword: domestic." As in no one else but BL killed her. Jmo

He was so controlled at the Moab stop so why couldn’t he “control” himself around gabby, because he was in control, he changed because he wanted too, he killed her because he could MOO
Yeah, but he was nervous there, too. The way he flew off the handle at Merry Pigs had me thinking he lacked control. I was way off base.

He was so controlled at the Moab stop so why couldn’t he “control” himself around gabby, because he was in control, he changed because he wanted too, he killed her because he could MOO
I get what you're saying - but IMO he wanted her to either stop talking or stop crying. He didn't want to hear it anymore.

omg so sad...peeking in from work.
I knew this would be COD but to see it in writing...wow.

So that's a very personal way to kill someone. And someone familiar with putting his grubby hands on her face jaw and neck would have no problem doing that.

And anyone doing this well...it takes a while to strangle someone...it's not an accident....and he watched the life drain from her face and eyes with his own dirty hands around her throat.
Pig.

God bless Gabby....she can go home now.

And, I would bet he didn’t do it quietly. Hard to imagine the ugly things he must have been saying to her.

Thank you for sharing the information. It is scary how many people need to assert control over those that should be partners.

I know that I, and I believe others as well, have been referencing "crime of passion" (or really the lack of evidence of the homicide being the result of a crime of passion) to be a metric of malice or evil -- the intent to do grievous harm. The evil intent results in more serious charges and punishment.
Hi there, it’s great article for education. Sorry I just get so triggered by it in reference to DV because they’re always in control. I had to share it in hopes it helps someone else.

Actually time to deliberate while committing a crime and premeditation are two separate legal concepts. Manual strangulation does not prove premeditation by default. For example, the Washington State Supreme Court (State v. Bingham, 105 Wash. 2d 820) ruled that strangulation alone is insufficient to prove premeditation because "the opportunity to deliberate is not evidence the defendant did deliberate, which is necessary for a finding of premeditation."

Excellent point. But for those concerned - premeditation can happen in a matter of seconds.

Deliberation and premeditation mean that the prosecutor must show that the defendant developed the conscious intent to kill before committing the murder. This is a low threshold and does not require showing that the defendant created an extensive plan before he committed the act (although that might sometimes be the case). Rather, deliberation and premeditation require only that the defendant paused, for at least a few moments, to consider his actions, during which time a reasonable person would have had time to second guess such actions. First-Degree Murder

and the act of strangling someone to death takes how long? 4 - 5 minutes? So it is not evidence of premeditation, but it is evidence that there were 4 to 5 minutes in which GP's murderer could have reflected, considered his actions and stop or second guess.

I tend to agree with other posters who feel BL has previously used the "throttling" method to keep GP in line. If that is true I believe her killer knew exactly what he was doing this time. JMO *SPECULATION*

IMO, it's looking like if Brian Laundrie is caught and charged with the crime of Gabby's demise which would be Murder of First Degree due to strangulation taking minutes and premeditation can be even a few seconds, since Wyoming is a death penalty state, Brian will face the death penalty.

IMO, if this happens then good riddance, because Brian has shown ZERO empathy or remorse towards Gabby and her family by running away and staying silent.
Just because it's a death penalty state though, doesn't mean they'll go for it. The DA's office take into account the family's wishes and other factors before pursuing the death penalty.

I think it took place at night.

The positioning of the van was right where passing vehicles could see them (Red, White and Bethune being the perfect example)...

Unless, she was killed in the back of the van and it wasn't until nightfall that her body was taken to where it was found??

IF she was killed where she was found then I have to think it must've taken place at night. Surely it would be too risky to carry out a strangulation in broad daylight when there was the dirt road so close by?

MOO

Please can someone remind me of the approximate distance from where the van was to where GP's body was discovered?
It has been stated she had a sweatshirt on that was identified, so I take that as she was killed sometime as or after the sun going down . IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buggy8993