GA - Katherine Janness, 40, fatally stabbed and dog killed, Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 28 Jul 2021 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing. Only today on the noon TV news (11Alive.com) they said the APD is asking for the public's help in solving two murders that happened in Atlanta. Neither one was KJ's murder. They didn't mention it.
This breaks my heart....so disappointing. I just cannot believe someone could do this and get away with it.

I think LE knows who did this, and are putting their case together. I think DNA testing, obtaining warrants, and obtaining cellphone and SM / app information takes a while to obtain and process. Jmo
What makes you think this? I desperately hope you are correct!!!!

Nothing. Only today on the noon TV news (11Alive.com) they said the APD is asking for the public's help in solving two murders that happened in Atlanta. Neither one was KJ's murder. They didn't mention it.

That would've been a great time to renew a call for tips for Katie's case. Either they don't need anything else or ..?

Just scanning the threads & the limited info from MSM. Did anyone else think it might be a hate crime? I'm not sure if she was "out" at her place of employment/ publicly, I know MSM named her girlfriend.
Do we know the autopsy results of the dog? I'm just curious who was injured/ hurt first.
A knife attack is in general very messy, I find it super hard to believe that the attacker would be able to get away from the scene without being noticed. Unless the clothes were dumped elsewhere.
I don't have a G-rated word to describe a person who attacks and kills a dog along with it's owner.
I sincerely hope her killer is found soon and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Just scanning the threads & the limited info from MSM. Did anyone else think it might be a hate crime? I'm not sure if she was "out" at her place of employment/ publicly, I know MSM named her girlfriend.
Do we know the autopsy results of the dog? I'm just curious who was injured/ hurt first.
A knife attack is in general very messy, I find it super hard to believe that the attacker would be able to get away from the scene without being noticed. Unless the clothes were dumped elsewhere.
I don't have a G-rated word to describe a person who attacks and kills a dog along with it's owner.
I sincerely hope her killer is found soon and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Hate crime --
It's been discussed here and elsewhere online, locally, etc. I believe the comment by law enforcement on the issue is there's no evidence of a hate crime (at the time of their comment, which was a couple months ago now).
I believe she was out and open at work. The restaurant is LGBTQ owned. The establishment and area are very gay friendly (of course that doesn't rule out a hate crime).

No specifics on order of attack or details on Bowie's autopsy. Really very very quiet from authorities for a while now.

Hate crime --
It's been discussed here and elsewhere online, locally, etc. I believe the comment by law enforcement on the issue is there's no evidence of a hate crime (at the time of their comment, which was a couple months ago now).
I believe she was out and open at work. The restaurant is LGBTQ owned. The establishment and area are very gay friendly (of course that doesn't rule out a hate crime).

No specifics on order of attack or details on Bowie's autopsy. Really very very quiet from authorities for a while now.

Thanks!
So it's a possibility, just not substantiated. If the establishment was open and welcoming to the LGBTQ+ community- it's less likely that it was a targeted attack. Just from the fact that someone who's a bigot, is less likely to frequent those areas.
I hope we get something new from local LE soon.
Hopefully, it truly is a case of gathering more evidence for a successful prosecution vs them being stuck or not having any leads.

Thanks!
So it's a possibility, just not substantiated. If the establishment was open and welcoming to the LGBTQ+ community- it's less likely that it was a targeted attack. Just from the fact that someone who's a bigot, is less likely to frequent those areas.
Hopefully, it truly is a case of gathering more evidence for a successful prosecution vs them being stuck or not having any leads.

From way out here on the outside it doesn't seem like they know why (or who). It would be great if the public feeling that way is intentional, because they know and are building their case but who knows (well, I guess law enforcement knows !).
It really is surprising that what has been described as gruesome (and probably messy, that's my word) could happen in a public park, albeit at night, and the killer could vanish like a phantom into the dark.

From way out here on the outside it doesn't seem like they know why (or who). It would be great if the public feeling that way is intentional, because they know and are building their case but who knows (well, I guess law enforcement knows !).
It really is surprising that what has been described as gruesome (and probably messy, that's my word) could happen in a public park, albeit at night, and the killer could vanish like a phantom into the dark.
Exacrly!

I have wondered if it was someone who knew Katherine and Bowie. Someone Katherine would not have been creeped out by, and Bowie was friendly with...

The most horrific attacks are usually very personal, a rage killing. And it sounds like both Katherine and Bowie were "overkilled". With the body mutilation that has been mentioned by LEO. Although, the details have been vague.

Who kills a dog? Especially a pittie? And who was killed first? If the perpetrator had killed Bowie first, Katherine would have screamed? Run away? So, if Katherine was killed first, Bowie may have been trying to protect her...and was subsequently killed. Seems almost premeditated. Not many people would attack a woman with a large dog.

I have wondered if it was someone who knew Katherine and Bowie. Someone Katherine would not have been creeped out by, and Bowie was friendly with...

The most horrific attacks are usually very personal, a rage killing. And it sounds like both Katherine and Bowie were "overkilled". With the body mutilation that has been mentioned by LEO. Although, the details have been vague.

Who kills a dog? Especially a pittie? And who was killed first? If the perpetrator had killed Bowie first, Katherine would have screamed? Run away? So, if Katherine was killed first, Bowie may have been trying to protect her...and was subsequently killed. Seems almost premeditated. Not many people would attack a woman with a large dog.

The elements that may usually suggest a personal connection are, for me, largely negated by the public location (even though it was at night and so far seemingly no valuable witnesses).

Too many risks for it to premeditated to Katie specifically, imo.

I really would be interested in what professionals (BAU likely) have for a profile of this killer. With whatever physical evidence investigators have and all of the circumstances of these murders, they have to have some insight into the kind of person. If they really have no leads or suspects, I think releasing some limited profile could help the public help the investigation.

Anything being released by LE would be a blessing to me. If only to say we have no new findings to report at this time. Or little things like whether or not the other alledged witnesses ever came forward. Anything. MOO.
I also have wondered if the killer could have used a stun gun.

Thanks!
Also keep in mind that there is alot of construction going on near this area. Lots of construction workers in & out of the city daily. I have seen some park their vehicles in the large pay to park lot directly behind Henry's Tavern, where KJ's GF worked and the last place we know of that someone talked to her & Bowie.

It bothers me that we have no information on the case. It seems as if they just don't care.
I don't think it is that they don't care. There have been 123+ murders in Atlanta just since Jan 1. Many of those are unsolved. I don't know how many homicide detectives APD has, but I bet they are swamped. Also, there was some criticism earlier that this case was receiving an unfair amount of attention to the detriment of other cases.

Last edited:
I think she was targeted and the person knew where she would be walking and waited for her. Person probably had already been friendly with the dog. To me she was targeted, and killed for a purpose...a hate crime purpose.
MOO

I think that night in particular was different from other Tues. nights for KJ & EC. As EC stated in MSM interviews, EC was normally off from work on Tues. but she had picked up that shift so she could be off to take KJ to the airport to visit her family & friends in Michigan. EC stated she was suppose to go Thur. 7/29 or 8/5? (She just stated Thur.) Don't know how long she planned to be gone on this trip...EC also had to work later than usual that night due to training new employee(s). If the killer knew her & had this info. maybe that motivated the killer to attack that night. IMO KJ's murder was planned thoroughly & KJ was stalked beforehand. EC may have also been stalked. I don't think KJ or EC personally knew the killer though.
Amateur speculation.

I know the police had talked to the jogger guy. But do we know if they ever talked to, or identified the other people in the photos around the gates?
No we don't know if any of the 5 other potential witnesses ever came forward or were id'd...the 3 people that walked out at CA gate before the murder took place, the man w/cane & red spot on white tank top who exited 12th St gate close to the time of the murder & the person w/cammo hoodie out 12th St at about the same time as jogger entered at CA. What I found interesting about the way LE handled this was they released additional photos of the jogger a few days after the original photos shown by MSM, but they never released any other photos of the other witnesses. Possibly they didn't have any other photos, but I just felt that it was odd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
galesr