Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #62

Status
Not open for further replies.
It says “manual strangulation”-can this possibly have any meaning other than strangulation via human hands?
Yes, manual strangulation can be with any body part (knee, for example) or any object (like a 2x4) that is held by the hands but isn’t a ligature/scarf/rope that would be wrapped around the neck, or something that would asphyxiate (like a pillow).
The important word in this report is “throttling,” which indicates hands were used directly on the neck.
MOO
ETA: Strangulation - an overview | ScienceDirect Topics

Last edited:
Assuming she'd pressed charges. A lot of DV victims don't.

Not even assuming GP would. In fact, I would assume that even if BL had stopped or let go of her throat, GP still probably would not have charged him.

IMHO the bodycam footage indicates that GP was an extremely passive person who was unlikely to blame BL for anything which is common in DV.

As someone who has experienced DV I agree, it's very under reported. Where I live, as soon as LE are involved, the option to press charges is out of the hands of the victim. The only way out at that point is if the victim says they were lying which can in turn, result in charges against the DV victim.

BL must have been quite vicious and done quite a bit of damage. Maybe the kind where he had no choice but to continue pressing on her? Either that or risk GP charging him with attempted murder.

No evidence that they lawyered up “from the get-go” if you mean as soon as BL came home or sooner. They had lawyered when LE came by to ask questions which was not until Sept 11. GP’s family did not start making calls and sending texts and emails until the 10th.

It is very possible that the Laundries just didn’t press BL as to what happened when he returned alone, having no clue and not even thinking such a thing that Gabby was left, much less that she was dead and their son possibly killed her.

when the texts and emails let them know that no one had heard from GP and the family was worried, that’s when things heated up there and the Laundries decided they needed professional advice. They did right thing in calling for it. We do not know what BL told them.

I have a lot of adult kids and we do not discuss relationships with SO families.

The Laundries only did the right thing - if the right thing was protecting themselves and BL. They did nothing right on behalf of the Petito family or Gabby.

As the saying goes, “the world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.”

I think he's just giving his opinion on what the feds doing. He was on a few of the shows early in the case to say what prosecutors "would" be doing at various stages of the investigation.

Since a homicide occurred in Bridger-Teton National Park, it is by law within the jurisdiction of the Federal District of Wyoming. It will be investigated by the FBI and prosecuted by the U.S. Attorney for the District of Wyoming (and his staff).
Since the body was found in the National Forest, the case COULD be prosecuted by the US Attorneys office, but it doesn't have to be. It could still be prosecuted by the Teton County Attorney's office. I am sure the county would prefer the Feds take it, but we will see. There are some questions about where the murder occurred vs just where the body was found.

I am not sure that is entirely correct?

I think that manual strangulation can be performed by any part of the body. Like if someone kneels on your neck and suffocates you. Or if someone has you in a rear choke hold and their forearm strangles you. Or if they manually tighten a ligature around your neck.

"He would not confirm if an item was used to kill her."
Gabby Petito: US blogger was strangled to death - coroner

I think it just means that a person wasn't hung and strangled that way, or in any accidental way.
It might be an American thing, but "manual strangulation/throttling" is understood to be using your hands to encircle the neck of another person and choking them.

"Manual strangulation, also known as throttling, is a type of asphyxial death where the perpetrator uses his hand to encircle and compress the front and side of the neck. It is a common method of homicide, most often encountered when the physical size and strength of the assailant exceeds that of the victim."

Homicide by a combination of three different asphyxial methods - ScienceDirect

*Warning: Graphic photos at link.

That’s the question. The coroners report has a large time period when death could have occurred. BL was not there for parts of that time period. That is provable as he was in the road on the way Home , and out hitchhiking.

Yes, it is a bit disturbing that there is a one week window for Gabby's murder. I had hoped that entimology would be able to pin it down a bit more precisely.

That is how I interpreted it as well. Jmo

unfortunately this is only one of many deaths around the country of people who are involved with domestic violence, and it's unfortunate that these other deaths did not get as much coverage as this one," Blue said.

Yes, he directly compares her death/puts in the same category as others in relationships that involve domestic violence and their death is by their domestic partner. MOO

The “throttling” part indicates hands.

I believe that manual strangulation means that no additional piece of equipment was used such as a tool, piece of clothing, ligature etc.

The strangulation was literally done 'manually' without the assistance of any other means but doesn't necessarily denote hands only. It could be a choke hold etc.

To me, 'throttling' is what indicates that hands were used.

This is JMO

It might be an American thing, but "manual strangulation/throttling" is understood to be using your hands to encircle the neck of another person and choking them.

"Manual strangulation, also known as throttling, is a type of asphyxial death where the perpetrator uses his hand to encircle and compress the front and side of the neck. It is a common method of homicide, most often encountered when the physical size and strength of the assailant exceeds that of the victim."

Homicide by a combination of three different asphyxial methods - ScienceDirect

*Warning: Graphic photos at link.

The reason I think it may or may not be the hands that were solely used, is because the Encyclopedia of Forensic Sciences says any part of the perp's body can be used to manually strangle someone.

And because the Coroner would not confirm if an "item" was used in the strangulation. Surely he could have just said "no" when he was asked.

Her body was on the other side of the creek from where the van was parked.
Measured in Google Earth, the locations of the van & her body are approx. 287 yards apart.
The ground between is rocky creek, water flow in some places, others spots, not.
Thank You SO MUCH.....this definitely makes it easier for me to wrap my head around the area! Thanks Again.

The Laundries only did the right thing - if the right thing was protecting themselves and BL. They did nothing right on behalf of the Petito family or Gabby.

As the saying goes, “the world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.”

I was of that mind too initially. Horrified that they didn’t let Gabby’s family know that BL and van were in Fl. But now with all this info released, it wouldn’t have made much difference. They had no good news to report. You think her family would have felt better if they knew earlier and said , “oh, appears our son strangled her and left her in the Tetons”? No, it would not.

This was a no win situation. That Gabby is dead is the tragedy snd the pain to her family.

Right now, getting BL into custody is what’s important. See what the case is against him snd proceed

Sure, we're just speculating about BL using it as a potential excuse to wriggle out of first degree murder....

It's bizarre and remarkably insensitive to the victim to bring it up at this stage. Honestly, it just feels unnecessarily contrary. Not to mention arbitrary and sympathetic to the person NOT the victim. It's ridiculous.

IMO

I think it took place at night.

The positioning of the van was right where passing vehicles could see them (Red, White and Bethune being the perfect example)...

Unless, she was killed in the back of the van and it wasn't until nightfall that her body was taken to where it was found??

IF she was killed where she was found then I have to think it must've taken place at night. Surely it would be too risky to carry out a strangulation in broad daylight when there was the dirt road so close by?

MOO

Please can someone remind me of the approximate distance from where the van was to where GP's body was discovered?

700 feet if I recall correctly

I agree. Applies to women abusers too.
Why do people have to qualify every comment with 'well women do it too'...OK...we are talking about a man for one...we are talking about abusive men...we are not talking about all men. And far more women than men are victims...and when men are victims, it's usually from other men.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member