Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #62

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless BL confesses it is unlikely there is any direct evidence.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe Direct evidence is essentially a material fact that doesn't require inference: eye witness to the crime as it is occurring, confession to the crime from the suspect, or photographic/camera evidence of the crime as it is occurring. That's pretty much it.

There were no direct witnesses and there is no camera footage that we know of documenting the crime as it happened. It's doubtful that BL will confess if he is captured.

So, I think it's reasonable to assume that if the case goes to trial, the majority of the evidence presented will be circumstantial. Forensic crime scene evidence is circumstantial. So are GPS data and phone records and pings, and digital data such as the camera footage of the van at Spread Creek dispersal camp etc.

There's a really great explanation here:
https://askanydifference.com/difference-between-direct-and-circumstantial-evidence/
BBM. The witness who saw BL slap GP in Moab and who phoned 911 is an example of direct evidence. The Moab LE body cam showing GP talking about marks on her throat is direct evidence. A jury will have no problem connecting the dots. JMO

hmmm so BL father and the FBI taking him out on the search was probably just more intel gathering. I bet the next action we see is coming very shortly and it'll be the parents now. Did dear old dad really drop off son or tell him goodbye when he heard the plan was to wonder off into the wilderness to die for your sins? or Did he just keep the story there to help BL off to somewhere untouchable.... Wow, ultimate sacrifice, wonder if he feels guilt? Can't wait to see what they release next.

Unless BL confesses it is unlikely there is any direct evidence.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe Direct evidence is essentially a material fact that doesn't require inference: eye witness to the crime as it is occurring, confession to the crime from the suspect, or photographic/camera evidence of the crime as it is occurring. That's pretty much it.

There were no direct witnesses and there is no camera footage that we know of documenting the crime as it happened. It's doubtful that BL will confess if he is captured.

So, I think it's reasonable to assume that if the case goes to trial, the majority of the evidence presented will be circumstantial. Forensic crime scene evidence is circumstantial. So are GPS data and phone records and pings, and digital data such as the camera footage of the van at Spread Creek dispersal camp etc.

There's a really great explanation here:
https://askanydifference.com/difference-between-direct-and-circumstantial-evidence/

I don't think it will matter. Murder convictions can be done with only circumstantial evidence and have been. Here is an explanation of how that can work.

Circumstantial Evidence was Sufficient to Uphold First-Degree Murder Conviction of Florida Man

"Circumstantial evidence, by contrast, consists of a fact or set of facts that, if proven, will support the creation of an inference that the matter asserted is true. Florida homicide cases can be proven by using direct or circumstantial evidence."

The most premeditated part of losing the evidence is BL coming home and vanishing to give his own body time to destroy ALL the evidence that Gabby fought for her life. All self preservation scratches, cuts and bruises that Gabby might have inflicted are vanished by time. So horribly sad.., IMO
Ita.
Much planning and evasiveness went into these decisions.
Was it only Brian's idea to hide until the coast was clear ?
Or did he have advice ?

Newsflash, BL, the coast isn't ever going to 'be clear'.
LE have you dead to rights.
You need to surrender and give yourself up.
MOO.

Absolutely, if it can be proven it was intentional and not an error. As it stands, we do not have any facts to say it was one or the other. If the FBI does, they haven't shared it. Anything else is speculation.
I still wonder if Brian's parents were ever asked to take a lie detector test... and declined.

I thought the same thing. The first part of the sentence implies GP & BL and then the next paragraph implies he helped his Dad. IMO this attorney has some shady dealings and background. I think this is beyond his purview if BL is found and charged.
Agreed.
And IF SB is a family friend from years back ... isn't that a conflict of interest ?

I don’t doubt that this’ll be the defense-but if I was a juror, I would want to know why he left her stranded in the woods without her van, possessions, phone, and debit card, so she could be victimized by some other dude. There would be no way to convince me, as a juror, that she said-“Go ahead, you can have all of my stuff and money and vehicle. I’ll just hang out here in the middle of the woods, looking for a stranger to give me a ride. I won’t have any money, but so what?”

This would NOT resonate with me. I can consider the possibility that a man is the victim of “domestic violence”, butthe hair on the back of my neck went up when Gabby started describing BL’s part in the fight, and her obvious reluctance to describe to the police what he did to her. And SHE is the one who ended up dead, and he takes off with all of her stuff, because he knew she wouldn’t be needing it anymore
Nor would I buy the "I lost my phone too"
I left her there, in the cold and never notified anyone?
"I couldn't respond nor could any of my family to the Petito's calls and frantic pleas."??
I had her authorization to use her cards and pin numbers??
I drove straight through without a phone??
I hid and contacted nobody for 10 days, some of which I was camping.?
I cleaned the van in her honor?
I took off without a trace because???
I lawyered up and so did my parents?

None of these are overwhelming but certainly they add to the picture that he has painted.

<modsnip>

IMO MOO pure speculation on my part.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where did the 60 come from? I’m just trying to follow what you’re saying :)

I was making an estimate. Here is my reasoning.

If he left on 29th say 11pm. We know he got to the Spread Creek dispersal camp that evening. There is a sighting of him at gas station at Jackson at around 11pm.

29th 11pm -11:59 = 1 hour
3oth 12am -11:59 = 24 hours
31st 12am - 11:59 = 24 hours
Sept 1st 12am - 10:30am = 10.5 hours Confirmed plate reading near North Point.

Total: 59.5 hours

Total estimated driving time with no breaks = 34-36 hours.

So we have 35 hours unaccounted for.

Even if he left at noon on 30th Sept, that still means the actual time from GT, Wy to NP, Fl was 46.5 hours.

That leaves roughly 10 hours unaccounted for.

It's logical to assume that he had time for food, potty and sleeping breaks and used that time.

Otherwise he would have gotten to North Point Florida much sooner than 10:30am Sept 1st.

Make sense?

The Sun headline is overstated. Read the article. Nowhere does Dog say Brian killed Gabby while calming her down. This is a sensationalized interpretation of what Dog said about the Moab DV incident:

I know that she was very verbal because as they were arguing one time, the vacationers around them heard her yelling,” Dog said. “I know that he calmed her down usually by grabbing her mouth like that.”
The Sun took this statement and twisted it to make it appear Dog was speaking about Gabby's murder when he was actually speaking about the Moab incident. I am a little hesitant to defend Dog (I've never heard of him before this case) because he does seem to be a rather outlandish character, but I get disgusted at the news media and their tricks to create controversy and sell more papers.
It’s not that overstated. Grabbing someone’s face is not calming them down. I’d need to see some sort of fact to back up how that would calm anyone down. It makes her sound like his pet. I don’t think everyone always realizes how inherently misogynistic some statements are. Sounds like trying to muzzle an animal rather than a person being equal to BL and being allowed to choose whether or not she wants to continue to speak or yell or whatever else she wants to do. If BL didn’t like it, he can always choose to not continue a relationship. You can’t just physically grab someone to make them do what you want… that’s abuse.
JMO.

Hopefully this doesn't end like the Alexis Sharkey case:

Man wanted for killing his influencer wife found dead in Florida, officials say

"Tom Sharkey, the man suspected of killing his wife, influencer Alexis Sharkey, died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound on Wednesday, police confirmed to CBS affiliate KHOU-TV. Authorities had recently obtained an arrest warrant for Sharkey after Alexis Sharkey was found dead on a road in Houston, Texas, last year. "

@Jurisprudence ..Regarding our earlier exchanges, we're dealing with state law regardless of where the act occurred @CharlestonGal found a statute leaving crimes on these federal lands to the states unless they are crimes against the United States. See post below. MOO

Found Deceased - WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #62
Thank you!!

The statute grants concurrent jurisdiction with the U.S. federal government. Not one or the other, but both have jurisdiction. See: Criminal Jurisdiction in the National Parks - A Clarification (uwyo.edu)

IMO.

I think we may safely deduce that she died between Aug 27-30. Probably closer to Aug 27.

Brian was on the road and using her bank card on Aug 30. Also Gabby's mom thought her Aug 27 text message was "odd" (as well as another text on Aug 30). So the restaruant sighting around midday Aug 27 was the last known live sighting. Then Aug 28 -29 witnesses confirm Brian hitchhiking.

Add in information that only the coroner and LE are privy to (autopsy details/investigation/entomology, phone data, bank card data, etc) and I would think they can further narrow down the time of death to a small range of hours.

I personally believe he killed her Aug 27, sometime after the midday restaurant fight, and prior to the Bethune dashcam video on Aug 27 just before sunset.
I saw this posted the other day that someone mentioned Gabby's mom last spoke to her daughter the morning of August 30th. Do we know if this is true?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23