Found Deceased IL - Jelani 'JJ' Day, 25, ISU grad student, missed class, Bloomington, 23 Aug 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple of co-workers did speak briefly.. I don't know if they were interviewed on camera because it was print media.
There are friends and classmates who have posted about him. He lived in his current apartment for a VERY short amount of time (days? Weeks?) so why a property manager would speak if they can't offer anything of value.

I disagree that we know very little about him. His family has spoken about him a lot. Is it that unusual for a family to be the main source of information on who the missing/deceased person is/was? That's who media wants to talk to. From what I have seen, friends and classmates have been focused on finding him and figuring out what happened. Moo.
And yet, still, you feel like you just haven't heard from that one very key person who knew all of Jelani's inner thoughts and emotions. Speaking of which, did he have a significant other?

And yet, still, you feel like you just haven't heard from that one very key person who knew all of Jelani's inner thoughts and emotions. Speaking of which, did he have a significant other?

Jelani reportedly stayed in very close contact with his siblings and in daily contact with his mother.
His father had cancer and Jelani was going to donate his bone marrow for his father's treatment.
It is unknown if Jelani had a best friend or SO.
Jelani's mother stated he didn't have a girlfriend at this time, that she was aware of.

Forgive my ignorance if this is far fetched. I know Jelani was in a masters program. He wasn’t a freshman but…he was new to the campus. He was part of a fraternity. Is hazing gone wrong a possibility? Frat brothers panicked due to an accident?

I highly doubt it. He was already in a frat in Alabama. After graduation he'd be considered an alumnus. There's no way he'd be pledging for a new frat when he's an alum of another frat. Plus he's a grad student and grad student don't typically pledge frats. I don't even think they can in most cases.

Forgive my ignorance if this is far fetched. I know Jelani was in a masters program. He wasn’t a freshman but…he was new to the campus. He was part of a fraternity. Is hazing gone wrong a possibility? Frat brothers panicked due to an accident?
To be honest, I’m not ruling anything out at this point.

I suppose the mother is being led by emotion (understandably so), but I wish the press wouldn’t print stuff like this when there is a logical explanation for the jaw bone being like that. Sometimes I feel like all these stories are just leading up to a giant lawsuit by the mother…

I keep thinking that’s is more likely suicide anymore. Even the most unlikely people commit suicide.

Yes, and the truth is, when a person has decided, firmly made up his mind, it becomes impossible to tell. I have several stories, when several doctors would not see it in their colleague; when a gun shop owner would sell a gun from a personal collection bypassing checks because the story looked so convincing. But surely there should have been some predictive factors. Family history of suicide, personal history of attempts, prior mental health history. Or - nothing, but a situation that a young man felt unable to resolve?

In short, I don’t know…

I suppose the mother is being led by emotion (understandably so), but I wish the press wouldn’t print stuff like this when there is a logical explanation for the jaw bone being like that. Sometimes I feel like all these stories are just leading up to a giant lawsuit by the mother…

I keep thinking that’s is more likely suicide anymore. Even the most unlikely people commit suicide.
I completely agree. I was going to say the same but didn’t want to disrespect Mom (not that you are). I feel that investigators are being backed into a corner with this case.

I am hoping the forensic pathologist in charge of the 3rd autopsy will be an educator who can answer questions and provide education to the entire family regarding the decomposition process, autopsy and testing procedures.
JMO.

Agree.

I kind of wish that whoever did the second autopsy was the one speaking on this issue because at this point everything is at least twice removed. So it's not only NOT (sorry double negative) coming from the original source but it's coming from someone who doesn't understand the process and is emotionally invested.

"The family of Jelani Day are calling for a third autopsy after the first two post-mortem examinations provided contradictory results. On Tuesday (Oct. 12), his siblings took to their mother’s Facebook page to explain their request.

Per the statement, they questioned the inconsistent autopsy results and noted that they’ve failed to receive “an accurate explanation” about the “things” missing in Day’s body. They also said they have not ruled out the possibilities of organ harvesting but are requesting the third autopsy with hopes to find answers. The clarity on what occurred or the condition of the 25-year-old’s body, they explained, would allow them to move forward with the burial.

“We are unsure if the whole body was there so this is why we didn’t do a burial,” they explained in the statement. “This is why we are in the process of getting a 3rd autopsy done due to numerous amounts of conflicting information from the 1st and 2nd autopsy.”"
Jelani Day’s siblings call for third autopsy after missing organ reports

This is a stupid question but was the second autopsy an actual physical examination of his body or did the second, privately hired pathologist just review reports from the first autopsy?

3rd autopsy. The headlines keep getting more sensational. Hopefully the FBI can narrow down what was going through jelani’s mind before this case spirals out of control even more. I think organ harvesting is at the bottom of the list for likely scenarios.

3rd autopsy. The headlines keep getting more sensational. Hopefully the FBI can narrow down what was going through jelani’s mind before this case spirals out of control even more. I think organ harvesting is at the bottom of the list for likely scenarios.

With all due respect, 2nd and 3rd autopsies are not unlike expert witnesses. Paid opinions can and often cite anything guided by profit.

The LaSalle County Coroner has already spoken and the mother confirmed words written in the Chicago Sun Times were not factual but the opinion of a reporter offering comment.

I cautioned all to cease giving legs to a very questionable agenda one not being reported by MSM. By every credible account, LE and County officials have given and continue to give JD's case their professional attention.

MOO

[LaSalle County Coroner] Ploch also clarified recent reports that organs were missing during an independent autopsy ordered by Day's family.

Ploch told NBC 5 "some [organs] were severely decomposed due to the body being in the water," but none were missing.
^^rsbm

ETA: WS is a factual-based forum and why the TOS do not allow posts from non-MSM or social media sources -- regardless of the alleged source being quoted. Non-verifiable information only serves to hijack the thread and/or create extra work for the Mods.

Last edited:
With all due respect, 2nd and 3rd autopsies are not unlike expert witnesses. Paid opinions can and often cite anything guided by profit.

The LaSalle County Coroner has already spoken and the mother confirmed words written in the Chicago Sun Times were not factual but the opinion of a reporter offering comment.

I cautioned all to cease giving legs to a very questionable agenda one not being reported by MSM. By every credible account, LE and County officials have given and continue to give JD's case their professional attention.

MOO

^^rsbm

ETA: WS is a factual-based forum and why the TOS do not allow posts from non-MSM or social media sources -- regardless of the alleged source being quoted. Non-verifiable information only serves to hijack the thread and/or create extra work for the Mods.

I want to defend the columnist on some of these points. Yes, his series is officially considered commentary, and not rigorously fact checked to the same degree that news articles would be.

However, his articles, while most likely being the vehicle for social media rumors/ misinformation, should not be singled out as the sole criticism.

It's users of social media who misinterpreted the description of "liquified organs' as being removed, the jawbone sawed out as being malicious/foul play, and other missing things (the eyes, genitalia, etc.) as being something that (most likely) wasn't the case.

I do think John Fountain could have exercised more care and possibly consulted with experts that would have more clearly explained some of these things. The details and lack of context are issues. However, I don't believe he's intentionally trying to allege coverup and shouldn't solely be blamed for this.

MOO

^^rsbm

Non-verifiable information only serves to hijack the thread and/or create extra work for the Mods.

Snipped and BBM. A very questionable agenda indeed. Family wanted more media exposure so they got it. Be careful what you wish for.

Jelani Day's mother is interviewed on Illinois Public Radio today:

The 21st Show

Carmen Bolden Day talks about her son Jelani, his life and disappearance
October 13, 2021
On August 24, 2021, Illinois State University grad student Jelani Day went missing. Two days after his disappearance, his car was found in Peru, in LaSalle County. Nine days later, a badly decomposed body was discovered in the Illinois River. Nearly 3 weeks later, the LaSalle County Coroner confirmed that the found body was that of Day. He was 25-years-old. The 21st was joined by his mother, Carmen Bolden-Day, to talk about his life and discuss the handling of his case.
Carmen Bolden Day talks about her son Jelani, his life and disappearance | Illinois Public Media

WGLT, NPR from Illinois State University, reports on status of the Jelani Day investigation:

"The LaSalle County sheriff’s office broke its silence Wednesday with a brief update on the status of the Jelani Day investigation.

Investigators are reviewing hundreds of hours of security video related to the case, according to a statement issued Wednesday by LaSalle County Sheriff Adam Diss.

A search of the Illinois River by the Plainfield Fire Department’s dive team was conducted to look for any items pertaining to the case, authorities said. But that search “produced negative results.”"
Jelani Day investigators say they’re combing through video and have searched the river again

Jelani Day's mother is interviewed on Illinois Public Radio today:

The 21st Show

Carmen Bolden Day talks about her son Jelani, his life and disappearance
October 13, 2021
On August 24, 2021, Illinois State University grad student Jelani Day went missing. Two days after his disappearance, his car was found in Peru, in LaSalle County. Nine days later, a badly decomposed body was discovered in the Illinois River. Nearly 3 weeks later, the LaSalle County Coroner confirmed that the found body was that of Day. He was 25-years-old. The 21st was joined by his mother, Carmen Bolden-Day, to talk about his life and discuss the handling of his case.
Carmen Bolden Day talks about her son Jelani, his life and disappearance | Illinois Public Media

Great link -- thank you. The radio host was so respectful and professional and was able to get CBD to share things about her son not heard before:

CBD provided that the Day children were raised knowing they only had two choices as young adults -- either go to college or enter the military. JD's older siblings experienced speech issues and worked with a professional but it was JD's childhood friend since Kdg that inspired JD to want to help kids especially with speech difficulty. JD was thrifty and persistent -- especially asking his parents and siblings for money to go on vacations. JD was respectful and a pleaser-- subject to daily instruction from his mom.

It's heartbreaking to witnesses any parent's grief. IMO, it's also apparent that grief (and probably misinformation) is interfering with CBD's knowledge of the law and how missing person investigations are processed. For example, a warrant cannot be issued without probable cause. There was no probable cause on Aug 24. Not for JD or any other missing person given the identical circumstances.

I believe JD's last call to his mom on the evening of Aug 23 for no other reason but to "hear her voice" was very personal to JL. I hope one day CBD can find comfort with her beautiful son's passing. MOO

WGLT, NPR from Illinois State University, reports on status of the Jelani Day investigation:

"The LaSalle County sheriff’s office broke its silence Wednesday with a brief update on the status of the Jelani Day investigation.

Investigators are reviewing hundreds of hours of security video related to the case, according to a statement issued Wednesday by LaSalle County Sheriff Adam Diss.

A search of the Illinois River by the Plainfield Fire Department’s dive team was conducted to look for any items pertaining to the case, authorities said. But that search “produced negative results.”"
Jelani Day investigators say they’re combing through video and have searched the river again

From the link:

Day’s cause of death has not been determined. LaSalle County Coroner Rich Ploch told WGLT on Tuesday they’re still awaiting the toxicology report and the histology report (study of tissues) from analysts. He said they’ll hopefully receive those this week.

I'm reminded of another case in the news a few weeks ago where the coroner was accused of disrespecting and/or mutilating the body of a deceased, black male after his arms and legs all had whip stitches the length of his limbs where some alleged his bones removed. No bones were removed and the stitches were in fact necessary for a thorough investigation/autopsy and for the coroner to determine if the victim may have been beaten prior to his death or a victim of homicidal violence. The coroner was checking beneath the dermis for blunt force trauma or bruised tissue not otherwise visible.

Great link -- thank you. The radio host was so respectful and professional and was able to get CBD to share things about her son not heard before:

CBD provided that the Day children were raised knowing they only had two choices as young adults -- either go to college or enter the military. JD's older siblings experienced speech issues and worked with a professional but it was JD's childhood friend since Kdg that inspired JD to want to help kids especially with speech difficulty. JD was thrifty and persistent -- especially asking his parents and siblings for money to go on vacations. JD was respectful and a pleaser-- subject to daily instruction from his mom.

It's heartbreaking to witnesses any parent's grief. IMO, it's also apparent that grief (and probably misinformation) is interfering with CBD's knowledge of the law and how missing person investigations are processed. For example, a warrant cannot be issued without probable cause. There was no probable cause on Aug 24. Not for JD or any other missing person given the identical circumstances.

I believe JD's last call to his mom on the evening of Aug 23 for no other reason but to "hear her voice" was very personal to JL. I hope one day CBD can find comfort with her beautiful son's passing. MOO
It’s so hard to lose a child. Emotions are so raw and feel like open wounds. I’ve been there. And Mom’s grief is compounded because of the strange circumstances. I hope all the facts can come together for her.

Jelani Day Toxicology Results Released:
Caffeine and evidence of nicotine and cannabis use were found during toxicology testing in the investigation of Jelani Day's death. LaSalle County Coroner Rich Ploch said the office received the results Wednesday, but he declined to comment on the report's content “due to the ongoing investigation.”
The Pantagram - 10/14/2014 (paywall)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member