Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #66

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know if BL left before or after the search for GP began in the Spread Creek dispersed camping area? I'm wondering if his [alleged] text "No service, in Yosemite" was a red herring meant to throw the search to Yellowstone* where they were probably headed next. [GP's friend Rose said that she was going to meet up with GP in Yellowstone on/about August 29, but they never finalized the plan.] If searchers had looked in Yellowstone, it would have taken much, much longer to find GP's remains at Spread Creek. If they ever found her.

*I think "Yosemite" was possibly auto suggested and selected as a mix up because they were so far from Yosemite, but had probably planned to go there later and had typed it enough that the phone suggested it as the Y word. I also wonder if BL might be Dyslexic and mix up words like my Dyslexic DH [dear husband] does. I could see my DH saying Yosemite instead of Yellowstone. [Dyslexia is not a matter of intelligence.] Looking at the tattoo applications he and GP filled out, his signature is very messy (for lack of a better word) and the handwriting on his application matches the handwriting on GP's application, leading me to believe that she fills out paperwork for him. This is something I do for my Dyslexic husband as he communicates very well but struggles with writing. I don't know if I can link to the article about the tattoo guy that did their tattoos, but if anyone wants to Google it, it's in the Daily Mail (dot com) site: "Exclusive: Tattoo artist reveals Gabby Petito and Brian Laundrie got matching finger tattoos of vines to 'represent their love' and gushed about plans for a 'big road trip together' a year before their ill-fated adventure." Dyslexia is not a matter of intelligence, but it would be interesting to me if BL has this because if he relied on GP to do certain things for him (as my DH does on me) it could suggest a level of dependence on her and a feeling of needing her to help him function in successfully in certain ways [writing things out, etc.] that could add more depth to how he might feel abandoned if he thought she were going to leave him. Dysgraphia is another trait that could be an issue.
My husband is dyslexic too and I have to fill out forms for him, he can do it but he prefers me to do it as he gets anxiety especially if it’s important. He’s an engineer so I fully know it’s not about intelligence. I see what you’re saying about BL potentially relying on GP with this and maybe with money too and maybe if she said she was done, it might have triggered him. All MOO

SBBM - I am interested in your thoughts as to why they would not be surprised? I have not seen anything in MSM that leads me to think that he had anger management issues or there had been instances of DV in this or previous relationships. There has been nothing other than the Moab stop (which we have plenty of video of the aftermath) and the supposed Merry Piglets episode where we have the thoughts of a blogger/vlogger/SM person.
These are good questions. I had a longer post pages ago (I'll try to find it but it will come up if you search "power and control wheel" or "control wheel").
In essence, abuse doesn't happen as an anomaly. Like, not just one incident and done forever, you know? Abuse follows a pattern that can be documented by Brian's actions, and abuse always escalates. Death is the ultimate outcome of an abusive relationship, if left unchanged by outside forces.
GB's friend, Rose, has done interviews and she confirms Brian's actions to be controlling (stealing her ID).
I am unsure how Brian responded when the Moab police asked if he was on medication. There was a redaction or something but ultimately Brian said he was not currently taking medication. I believe the redaction revealed IMHO that Brian has had medication in the past, but doesn't feel as though he "needs" it now.
Brian was young and living with his parents in the same home. I believe the Laudries may know more about prescriptions he has had in the past and if they are still being filled. They may even know why he was taking a medication.
Sorry I gotta clean my house but I'll prob be back on thread tonight:D

And we've also heard that she was a pharmacy tech at Publix and worked 50 hrs/wk at Taco Bell. I guess it doesn't really matter, but I am also unclear on what exactly her job was. As for BL, the only work history I've heard was that he worked at Publix in the grocery department but quit at some point due to covid. MOO

It doesn’t matter to me what their jobs were. They worked to save for this trip for some time. Lived with BL’s parents to save for it. It’s a big deal thing, what they did and their families were excited about it too, and supported the plan. They may have been putting off things to be able to do this. Jobs had nothing to do with BL’s actions that caused this tragedy
Speaking of him [allegedly] not expecting her remains to be found so early:

Does anyone know if BL left before or after the search for GP began in the Spread Creek dispersed camping area? I'm wondering if his [alleged] text "No service, in Yosemite" was a red herring meant to throw the search to Yellowstone* where they were probably headed next. [GP's friend Rose said that she was going to meet up with GP in Yellowstone on/about August 29, but they never finalized the plan.] If searchers had looked in Yellowstone, it would have taken much, much longer to find GP's remains at Spread Creek. If they ever found her.

*I think "Yosemite" was possibly auto suggested and selected as a mix up because they were so far from Yosemite, but had probably planned to go there later and had typed it enough that the phone suggested it as the Y word. I also wonder if BL might be Dyslexic and mix up words like my Dyslexic DH [dear husband] does. I could see my DH saying Yosemite instead of Yellowstone. Looking at the tattoo applications he and GP filled out, his signature is very messy (for lack of a better word) and the handwriting on his application matches the handwriting on GP's application, leading me to believe that she fills out paperwork for him. This is something I do for my Dyslexic husband as he communicates very well but struggles with writing. I don't know if I can link to the article about the tattoo guy that did their tattoos, but if anyone wants to Google it, it's in the Daily Mail (dot com) site: "Exclusive: Tattoo artist reveals Gabby Petito and Brian Laundrie got matching finger tattoos of vines to 'represent their love' and gushed about plans for a 'big road trip together' a year before their ill-fated adventure." Dyslexia is not a matter of intelligence, but it would be interesting to me if BL has this because if he relied on GP to do certain things for him (as my DH does on me) it could suggest a level of dependence on her and a feeling of needing her to help him function successfully in certain ways [writing things out, etc.] that could add more depth to how he might feel abandoned if he thought she were going to leave him. Dysgraphia is another trait that could be an issue.

We may never find out because coroner cannot affix time of death tightly enough to rule out GP having written that. Can guess, but not know for sure.

It doesn’t matter to me what their jobs were. They worked to save for this trip for some time. Lived with BL’s parents to save for it. It’s a big deal thing, what they did and their families were excited about it too, and supported the plan. They may have been putting off things to be able to do this. Jobs had nothing to do with BL’s actions that caused this tragedy

BBM

However, the "only" charges he is looking at (illegal bank card use), his jobs and finances could be very important.

So, the initial reason the van was being tracked down would not lead to charges of DV based on witnesses?

That's interesting that it would be ignored and only the traffic violation would have been the focus.
Yes, in the meantime, they had empirical evidence, the exact speed he was going 3X the limit, and cop cam of his crossing a double yellow line and hitting a curb. He showed no intention of stopping.

What if the cops were called to a house with conflicting stories of DV. And, since they were called to that locale, serious traffic violations by one of the DV participants was noticed. You think they would just excuse that unlawful behavior in a city? Anyway, I wasn't there, and I am giving my opinion that I wish they had ticketed and arrested him. THEN commenced to look at the DV. It's not as though someone was standing over a body with a smoking gun, the traffic violations should have come first, they were violations against the public welfare. IMO .

SBBM - I am interested in your thoughts as to why they would not be surprised? I have not seen anything in MSM that leads me to think that he had anger management issues or there had been instances of DV in this or previous relationships. There has been nothing other than the Moab stop (which we have plenty of video of the aftermath) and the supposed Merry Piglets episode where we have the thoughts of a blogger/vlogger/SM person.
These are good questions. I had a longer post pages ago (I'll try to find it but it will come up if you search "power and control wheel" or "control wheel").
In essence, abuse doesn't happen as an anomaly. Like, not just one incident and done forever, you know? Abuse follows a pattern that can be documented by Brian's actions, and abuse always escalates. Death is the ultimate outcome of an abusive relationship, if left unchanged by outside forces.
GB's friend, Rose, has done interviews and she confirms Brian's actions to be controlling (stealing her ID).
I am unsure how Brian responded when the Moab police asked if he was on medication. There was a redaction or something but ultimately Brian said he was not currently taking medication. I believe the redaction revealed IMHO that Brian has had medication in the past, but doesn't feel as though he "needs" it now.
Brian was young and living with his parents in the same home. I believe the Laudries may know more about prescriptions he has had in the past and if they are still being filled. They may even know why he was taking a medication.

edit: found it! How many items on the wheel describe Brian's actions?

Last edited:
This is kind of confusing to me, because the impression I got was that the Ls run some sort of juicer supply business, not a juice bar that serves juices. But I am not sure where I read that. MOO

The Laundries do own a company that sells and repairs commercial juicers. It's called Juice Services, Inc.

Gabby Petito disappearance: Who are Brian Laundrie's parents?

That article says BL worked at a organic juice bar prior to their trip but I've read elsewhere that's what GP did after she left Taco Bell. The link below says GP left TB to work at a smoothie bar.

Gabby Petito's best friend claims Brian Laundrie was jealous and controlling | Daily Mail Online

Are you saying that almost every person who hikes in the nature preserves carry weapons of some kind? When I've read of deaths in nature preserves and national parks it's usually because of falls and unpreparedness (not checking the weather, not advising people where they are going, wrong gear, etc) not from encountering wild animals. Sure, they do happen, but most of those encounters I've seen with alligators are in areas that people are very familiar with like waterways near their homes. Even in Disneyworld a child was killed by an alligator. Even panther attacks are almost none existent.

It's hard for me to envision that the majority of hikers and campers carry weapons.
We’re talking about a park in very rural Sarasota County here and I’d venture to say yes. I’ve lived here for years. The Myakka area, the river, the parks, the land you go walk before you buy it, you need protection. I’ve walked oodles of parcels from SR64 down into Charlotte County, when I was looking for land. I usually had my brother with me or some friends. I wore gloves, long sleeves, jeans and tall rubber boots. I’ve nearly tripped over a 10’ black snake in tall grass. I was shuffling my feet too. I stopped and watched as he went on his way.

The county parks in the populated areas are different. Most of the wildlife has moved on. Except for the gators. They’ll happily coexist if you leave them alone.

The old golf course by me is being razed right now. We’re seeing bobcats, foxes, snakes, small animals nearly every day. Nobody is shooting them - just being observant and keeping their pets inside.

The Laundries do own a company that sells and repairs commercial juicers. It's called Juice Services, Inc.

Gabby Petito disappearance: Who are Brian Laundrie's parents?

That article says BL worked at a organic juice bar prior to their trip but I've read elsewhere that's what GP did after she left Taco Bell. The link below says GP left TB to work at a smoothie bar.

Gabby Petito's best friend claims Brian Laundrie was jealous and controlling | Daily Mail Online

Ah ok. I had not heard of this organic juice bar or smoothie before. So it also sounds like possibly BL had an additional job after Publix. MOO

Yes, in the meantime, they had empirical evidence, the exact speed he was going 3X the limit, and cop cam of his crossing a double yellow line and hitting a curb. He showed no intention of stopping.

What if the cops were called to a house with conflicting stories of DV. And, since they were called to that locale, serious traffic violations by one of the DV participants was noticed. You think they would just excuse that unlawful behavior in a city? Anyway, I wasn't there, and I am giving my opinion that I wish they had ticketed and arrested him. THEN commenced to look at the DV. It's not as though someone was standing over a body with a smoking gun, the traffic violations should have come first, they were violations against the public welfare. IMO .

I appreciate your thoughts! Thank you for entertaining my questions and providing your insights! ;)

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the "what ifs". :confused:

I think MOO that the Laundries got more than just calls. They likely got text messages and the content probably made their blood run cold. It is very possible that they did not question BL about returning alone, and decided to let him get over the obvious break up with Gabby, believing she went to her family, and finding out she was missing was a shock. Or BL could have outright lied to them.
Before contacting her family, they probably questioned BL and the horror of the situation got them to call someone they knew who could advise them as they had no clue how to handle this. Not at all comforting and opening all kinds of consequences to call the Petito family snd tell them BL killed Gabby and left her there, if they found out. Or even that he just ditched her. If they had contacted LE with the information, the police would absolutely tell them not to make contact with Gabby’s family and to let the authorities take over.

The Laundries chose to hire an intermediary to advise them because they likely had no clue what to do. I would not. And when you hire an expert, it’s usually smart to do as told when you have no idea what to do.

I do not blame the families. Neither the Petitos nor the Laundries with confirmed info as of now. I do blame BL 100%

All of the advice given to the Laundries comes down to one thing: You have to hire the right person for the right job. And when the last person to see your future daughter-in-law alive was your son...that person is not likely to be your out-of-state friend who typically is involved in real estate transactions. I would fall far short of calling their attorney an "expert" for this situation (and that applies to whatever "this situation" was at the time he was retained.) If you don't have the right person for the right job, their advice isn't of much value.

Are you saying that almost every person who hikes in the nature preserves carry weapons of some kind? When I've read of deaths in nature preserves and national parks it's usually because of falls and unpreparedness (not checking the weather, not advising people where they are going, wrong gear, etc) not from encountering wild animals. Sure, they do happen, but most of those encounters I've seen with alligators are in areas that people are very familiar with like waterways near their homes. Even in Disneyworld a child was killed by an alligator. Even panther attacks are almost none existent.

It's hard for me to envision that the majority of hikers and campers carry weapons.
BBM
You may be surprised by how many people in Florida carry a gun to the grocery store.
There's a whole lot of guns in this state.

bbm
Agreed.
His parents probably know more about this case as a whole -- than any of us, including LE.
I'd bet on it.
MOO.

Like a million from me too. I can't figure out how to answer a post from another thread so regarding the "don't talk to LE advice" I see from so many: if it's true that no one should talk to LE, then we have a completely broken system. If it's being suggested that LE can't be trusted to not get false confessions from people like it's a hobby of theirs, I could not disagree more. And from my perspective, if you are innocent you have nothing to worry about. Seriously. Nothing. Guilty people not only don't talk to LE *even with their lawyers present* like I suggested, but they RUN, which is what our dear BL did. Pointing to guilt, IMO.

Did BL run during the Utah traffic stop? Did he act like he didn't want to talk to the cops? No, he enjoyed his chit chat with the cops there in Utah... he was talkative, even. He volunteered information, he proudly showed them all the scratches that Gabby had inflicted upon him. He was happy to help. He didn't look overly upset, or like he didn't want to talk to the cops at all. He even laughed with the cops. When he thought they were scrutinizing his girlfriend, he was there for them.
JMO

You know, it's interesting to me that during the traffic stop in Moab, GP punched BL's arm and I think she was telling him to pull over and he said she yanked on the steering wheel causing him to hit the curb. [Never a good idea to do that!] It occurs to me that perhaps he was afraid to pull over, and continued to drive, in a bit of fear-flee mode and that could have been why GP punch his arm and yanked the steering wheel - - to make him pull over. If this is what happened, it suggests to me that he might have been fleeing in a tiny way in that instance.

He did laugh with the LEOs, but not at first. At first, his demeanor was very cautious. He kept his hands in view [always a good idea], his facial expression "innocent, sincere, friendly, cooperative" all rolled together. He was acting nervous outside the van too, but eventually, I think when he realized the LEOs he was talking to was "understanding" his point of view, he started to relax and joke around with them.

We’re talking about a park in very rural Sarasota County here and I’d venture to say yes. I’ve lived here for years. The Myakka area, the river, the parks, the land you go walk before you buy it, you need protection. I’ve walked oodles of parcels from SR64 down into Charlotte County, when I was looking for land. I usually had my brother with me or some friends. I wore gloves, long sleeves, jeans and tall rubber boots. I’ve nearly tripped over a 10’ black snake in tall grass. I was shuffling my feet too. I stopped and watched as he went on his way.

The county parks in the populated areas are different. Most of the wildlife has moved on. Except for the gators. They’ll happily coexist if you leave them alone.

The old golf course by me is being razed right now. We’re seeing bobcats, foxes, snakes, small animals nearly every day. Nobody is shooting them - just being observant and keeping their pets inside.

Growing up on a family farm in rural Michigan, we carried riffles. While there wasn't much wildlife that would want to attack you, we had more than a few instances of rabid animals wandering onto the property.

That's scary.

I miss the nature in Michigan. Florida has the brown recluse, southern black widow, cottonmouth snake, wild boar and panthers that seem happy enough to end your life. Surprisingly enough, the wild boar scared me the worst!

I agree. Though much has been made of those episodes, MOO, they were not such harbingers of BL being a killer. In retrospect, only. People have arguments, get angry, lose their tempers, do and say unfortunate things. Following it up with murder or just ditching someone in the wild is not usual.
Gabby’s fsmily have out and out said they were fine with her being with BL. Yeah, the dad might have ribbed him and I’m sure all was not perfect, but I don’t think any red flags like this. That’s what is so horrific about this case.

I live in an area where DV, assault, physical fights, yes, even killings, happen too often. Rated high in violent crimes. Usually, the characters are known, and the crime no ng surprise to all who know the cast here. Just waiting for the explosion. But not this case.

You know, it's interesting to me that during the traffic stop in Moab, GP punched BL's arm and I think she was telling him to pull over and he said she yanked on the steering wheel causing him to hit the curb. [Never a good idea to do that!] It occurs to me that perhaps he was afraid to pull over, and continued to drive, in a bit of fear-flee mode and that could have been why GP punch his arm and yanked the steering wheel - - to make him pull over. If this is what happened, it suggests to me that he might have been fleeing in a tiny way in that instance.

He did laugh with the LEOs, but not at first. At first, his demeanor was very cautious. He kept his hands in view [always a good idea], his facial expression "innocent, sincere, friendly, cooperative" all rolled together. He was acting nervous outside the van too, but eventually, I think when he realized the LEOs he was talking to was "understanding" his point of view, he started to relax and joke around with them.
I thougt he was nervous, not because of the DV, but what was inside the van.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aoajanw