Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #66

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes it’s true. That’s why the narrative the lawyer spins keeps changing. It changes each time something new and plausibly deniable comes out. He can spin it ad infinitum also unless BL is captured.

Now I’m thinking this attorney is deeply involved in the muck and mire of the family’s nonsense. Why else would a woefully inexperienced-in-criminal-defense lawyer be a spokesperson for someone who has committed murder ? Or for his parents ? Because he doesn’t think it will ever come down to representing him for murder.

It really makes you think doesn’t it ?

The narrative SB spun was based on plausible deniability from the beginning. Remember his statement “…. Often the spouse or significant other is the first to be suspected in the disappearance … “

This is move number one in the plausible deniability playbook.

That's something we can't know now with Gabby dead. We also don't know what else went on that nobody saw. can't say what BL would be comfortable with or not.

There are lots of things we can't know about both GP and BL. We judge by known behavior but we may be quite wrong about alot of things. But we do know GP's family didn't see danger or warning signs in her behavior or in things she said. So I'm not so sure about brainwashing and Stockholm Syndrome. And I'm not so sure about BL being as controlling as some have hypothesized if he would leave her in SLC and fly to FL.

JMO

Let's think like a future jury member. Why would a young woman leave suddenly with strangers in the middle of a road trip planned for months? And why leave behind her own van, credit card, and phone? Sounds like a kidnapping or possibly a murder, so why did BL drive home without reporting her disappearance? Wasn't he worried about her? Didn't he love her? Why is he so cold-hearted? You can see the problem for a future jury member. JMOO
I had nearly this same discussion with my son (nearly the same age and Brian and Gabby), he also would love to make a living off of Instagram so the social media part of this is very real to me.

He actually does have sponsors, after over 5 years of working relentlessly on this, maybe around 5k followers. Not at all in a place to support himself or even buy lunch for a week. We do get some cool free products.

And maybe my lens is off on this...but it "seems" like G and B sort of liked social media. If they did, they likely had many, many, many interactions with people through direct messages. It just happens. Strangers meeting strangers through the internet become friends of sorts. Just like we do here in WS.

When we went on our vanlife trip as a family in June, my son was following and writing to people privately who were doing nearly the same trip...sharing everything we were doing and they shared where they were through direct messaging, never public, that would be a faux pas (for some reason).

Chatting to make sure we didn't miss the best photo ops or super cool things to see. We followed some of the dumbest suggestions...but we did it. It was an adventure, and even ridiculous ideas have a story. Photographically and otherwise. Almost a competition.

Some "friends" were in front of us on the journey, some were following us. If my son hadn't been with us, his parents, there is an extremely high likelihood he would have met up with some of them.

They talked through dm's like we do here for hours while on the road driving. Nothing else really to do, except get to the next photo spot.

We have such limited insight into their lives. So I just wonder....what really happened that day. And yes, I can imagine other people may have been involved. I have a very hard time believing that Brian left Gabby completely alone for 7 days in a strange place without someone or someones around while he cleaned out a locker. It doesn't fit the jealous thing, and it doesn't fit the co-dependent thing. So who was there that they both felt safe enough to do such a thing? Just my opinion and wonderings.

By the time he got to Spread Creek, it was still light out, (this is according to the second woman who dropped him off). I gotta ask though, who else would have personal access and a motive to her password-protected phone to have sent that misleading text to her mother on August 30, reading “No service in Yosemite” when Gabby never even left Spread Creek.. Who else would personally know that Gabby was in frequent communication with her mother and was updating her on their trip, and would need a reason to explain away the silence from her end so her parents don’t start ringing alarm bells… an unknown party wouldn’t go to the lengths or have any real motive or benefit of sending a fake text message to her mom, turning off her phone the next day, and dumping it ..

I don't think grown children living with parents are "immature." Our children don't have the opportunity to realize the same dreams we had. They are left with massive school debt, low incomes in comparison to level of education, inflation, high medical costs. The cards are stacked against them. Mine were welcome to live at home, if they were saving for a home or in school.

I agree. I never thought living at home meant immaturity. The post I was responding to said that. I agree life is different these days.

JMO

I think there are at least a few that I can conjure within the facts and alleged info we have available.

The thought behind my post and why I posed the question was to see if others had thoughts as well. If so, I would like to consider those, as well. Not sleuthing actual people, but theories about how others "could be" involved. Truly just curious. And MOO.
I’d be interested to hear the scenarios that you have in mind, based on what @customCF asked.

This is a federal case, yes? I thought I read that federal cases need to have federal lawyers? Is SB a federal lawyer? Further, is SB licensed to practice in Wyoming? If not, then a lawyer that is licensed to practice in Wyoming will need to be instructed by SB IF his client has given him authority to act in this way.
I don't know if SB has been admitted to any of the US federal district courts. And if he was, it would likely be the federal district of NY. I can't imagine why he would ever have had occasion to apply to the District of Wyoming federal courts, of if NY and Wyoming have some kind of reciprocity agreement in place that allows practice if one is admitted to the federal bar in either place.

As far as SB practicing law in WY State Courts, it depends. Typically, one can only practice in the state they actually passed the bar exam and were admitted to the bar. But, there are always exceptions based on differing laws and rules in individual states.

Short answer: I have no idea about the specifics of which courts or districts have admitted SB to their bar. Lol!

Common isn't legal though. Even if Gabby had multiple cards (duplicates etc) doesn't mean BL was authorized by the bank to use the account(s)
I can't imagine that BL was not authorized to use the cards. If those were solely GP's cards and BL was not aware or they didn't have an agreement to mutually use them, where were his cards? Did she totally control the money? Who paid for meals, gas, etc. I'm sure they didn't carry cash. That she paid for everything does not fit the profile.

There are lots of things we can't know about both GP and BL. We judge by known behavior but we may be quite wrong about alot of things. But we do know GP's family didn't see danger or warning signs in her behavior or in things she said. So I'm not so sure about brainwashing and Stockholm Syndrome. And I'm not so sure about BL being as controlling as some have hypothesized if he would leave her in SLC and fly to FL.

JMO
Stockholm syndrome is well documented in DV research

Stockholm Syndrome in Battered Women - Criminal Justice - IResearchNet

https://www.liebertpub.com/doi/10.1089/vio.2017.0076

https://www.researchgate.net/public..._Domestic_violence_and_the_Stockholm_Syndrome

Bekind89Does anyone else wonder if he actually rented a room somewhere those two days? I just do not see him camping out without the van. Jmo

It would have pretty much impossible for him to rent a room in that area during that time of the year, those rooms are booked a year in advance, and they are also extremely expensive.

JMO
She could have broken up with him after Moab and he flew home then they decided to get back together, so he flew back, then the incident in the merry piglets happened and we can assume the rest. Controllers can often use ‘leaving you’ as a controlling tactic, make her feel anxious because he’s not there so she wants him back. IMO

Last edited:
Bekind89Does anyone else wonder if he actually rented a room somewhere those two days? I just do not see him camping out without the van. Jmo

It would have pretty much impossible for him to rent a room in that area during that time of the year, those rooms are booked a year in advance, and they are also extremely expensive.
Thank you!

Until it gets too dark. You could stretch this to a couple of days - but I think the longer he hikes - the less likely it will be believeable. What we need is witnesses of him travelling to that other place (forgive me, it is really late here), being in that other place - to firm out the timeline. This alternative would i think only work if the hike was a day hike.
I am still baffled that she wasn't found earlier by anyone, campers or rangers. I have read that it wasn't in an easy location to spot or discover. MOO.

Did anyone just watch the CNN special? I was only half listening and now I can't find if it was recorded anywhere. Maybe it takes a little bit. But the CNN reporter was speaking to a man (possibly FBI?) about BL taking off from his parents and she said something like "so if someone is a person of interest shouldn't you have surveillance on them?" And this man responded something like "maybe we did" or "nobody is saying we didn't". Then he went on to say something like "if a guy goes for a walk in the woods we can't just go hiding behind tree to tree looking for him" (these are my words, not his).

So after that big vague statement, (geez, sorry, hopefully I can find the video and I'll update this post) but I'm thinking they really were watching BL at his parents and they did follow him TO Carlton Reserve but didn't get out and follow him on foot but sat in their car waiting, and then night came and he didn't come out. This would make sense as to why they are still searching Carlton Reserve. It's likely the last time police/FBI had their eyes on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clancehan