Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #68

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the address we've been using (Reiserstown Road, in the parking lot near the preserve) is wrong? Do you have a link for that? Many of us need to revise our notes and timelines if that's the actual address. I thought it was on the redacted LE document as Reisterstown Road - 5 miles from the Laundrie home, not 16.

When did it turn out to be 16 miles? As late as yesterday, most of us were going off the Reisterstown Road - if someone can post a pic of the LE document (I know several people have it), maybe we can get some clarity.
It isn't 16 miles. Here is the county website for Myakkahatchee park.

Your Local Parks | North Port, FL

The confusion may be that the Carlton Reserve main entrance is off SR72 (Clark Rd) and the Myakka State Park.

Myakka River State Park — Myakka Prairie Tract | WaterMatters.org

BBM
They created their own extraordinary horrific situation.

As I said earlier, with links to MSM provided right here, we have come to understand that Gabby's mother thought both Gabby and Brian were missing.

When she first started calling, when she first started texting, when she first started pm'ing GB's mother was desperately worried something had happened to both of them.

So why in the world would Brian's mother not pick up the phone, not answer the text, not replied to the pm??!

My own opinion is she deliberately chose not to. And for that she's going to reap what she sewed.

Also they are "allegedly" cooperating with th FBI. We have no proof.
I think Brian created the horrific situation.
The L's reacted to it based on the knowledge they had.

I don't understand not returning the calls from Gabby's family but I do think they were frightened at that point.
Who knows what BL had told them?

We have seen CL in the Reserve with FBI agents, of his own volition.

jmho

I think when they saw the messages, they realized this was deep muck, and there was nothing they had to say that was going to make anyone feel better. You really think the Petitos would have felt better if the Laundries said their son is now home a d they have no idea what happened to Gabby? I don’t think so. It would have resulted in a panicked screaming match and possible threats, and even a visit. No answer resulted in a slower processing of the horrible answer. JP, Gabby’s Father on Dr Phil, absolutely stated that at that time (and Gabby was dead then,; he just didn’t know it) he had to continue thinking she was alive. That she was all right.

tThis is an epic tragedy and there was no good way to handle it. If Bl were handed over from the get go, the Laundrie parents might be spared the maddening crowd taunts, but their son would likely have been in worse legal shape. Really, BL, was foolish to run. Unless there is direct evidence that he killed Gabby, possible that the silence helped mitigate the consequences.

Really, if a family member gets into a bad legal predicament, the best thing to do legally and monetarily is to keep quiet. I know families in financial ruin that could have been lessened because they talked too much and for things far less horrible than this. Same as a simple car accident—don’t admit blame, until you have all the facts on the table.
I respectfully disagree.

So the address we've been using (Reiserstown Road, in the parking lot near the preserve) is wrong? Do you have a link for that? Many of us need to revise our notes and timelines if that's the actual address. I thought it was on the redacted LE document as Reisterstown Road - 5 miles from the Laundrie home, not 16.

When did it turn out to be 16 miles? As late as yesterday, most of us were going off the Reisterstown Road - if someone can post a pic of the LE document (I know several people have it), maybe we can get some clarity.

Brian Laundrie’s Ford Mustang Was Never at Carlton Reserve: Reports

That's a lovely sentiment and very patriotic.
There's one problem.
All bets are off when an act of madness produces the decomposing flesh of someone's daughter lying throttled on a dry creek bed.
Mad acts beget other mad acts. That's the problem with opening Pandora's Murder Box. There are unrequited grievances looking for a cause for blame lurking in the far reaches of our culture and society.
For some, vengeance lies close to the surface. All it takes is a little push to send it over the edge. Then, the rope is knotted, thrown over a tree branch and he object of wrath is hoisted up. Questions asked later. It happens.
We can hope for the ideal, but be pliant enough to understand that the ideal isn't the hub of everyone's wheel.
MOOing...
Fan-girling here, as I often do over your MAD SKILLS at weaving such insight into words.

I do like and better understand the ideal better than the madness, personally, but have been intrigued and learned a lot about all sides, thoughts, and so much more, some related to the case and some not at all, just about people in general.

Thank you for sharing both your talent and wisdom! MOO!

I have a question for any of our wonderful lawyers. Here's the relevant US Code about civil and criminal jurisdiction in National Forests:

16 U.S. Code § 480 - Civil and criminal jurisdiction

It reads:

The jurisdiction, both civil and criminal, over persons within national forests shall not be affected or changed by reason of their existence, except so far as the punishment of offenses against the United States therein is concerned; the intent and meaning of this provision being that the State wherein any such national forest is situated shall not, by reason of the establishment thereof, lose its jurisdiction, nor the inhabitants thereof their rights and privileges as citizens, or be absolved from their duties as citizens of the State.

I have always taken this to mean that unless the offense is against the US Government, in National Forests, cases are tried by the People of the state in question (in Gabby's case, the People of Wyoming).

I am looking at a case where a serial killer committed all his murders in national forests - he was tried by the State in each case (three states) not in federal court (FBI criminologists were heavily involved in helping out, though). Right now, BL's crimes are against Federal codes (banking laws), but I do believe that when murder charges are brought, it will be by the State of Wyoming.

Thoughts?

O don't agree it is better to be quiet when that quietness delays and confuses an urgent missing person investigation.
I don't believe it is legally ethically or morally correct to hinder a murder investigation or help hide a fugitive or to mislead a search party, misrepresent the date a vehicle was returned that is connected with this manhunt or justify the withholding of crucial information from a victim's frantic family.
Some issues are moral, most are legal.
Is this not suggesting that the laws don't extend to family bonds or should not?
Why not?

The family bonds of parents are recognized in the State of Florida for all crimes except Murder 1 and Murder 2. In the case of a Federal Charge (such as this case) the family bonds of parenthood of an adult have no special privileges in the interference of an investigation.

Anyone who knowingly lies to the police or FBI can be charged.

Anyone can be detained temporarily by the police for questioning.

But I don't think that means they can force their lawyer to bring them to the police station at x time. That's what the original post said. But even if they were somehow legally detained, no one has to answer questions posed by LE. So I'm just not seeing what could or should have been done with the Laundries.

JMO

O don't agree it is better to be quiet when that quietness delays and confuses an urgent missing person investigation.
I don't believe it is legally ethically or morally correct to hinder a murder investigation or help hide a fugitive or to mislead a search party, misrepresent the date a vehicle was returned that is connected with this manhunt or justify the withholding of crucial information from a victim's frantic family.
Some issues are moral, most are legal.
Is this not suggesting that the laws don't extend to family bonds or should not?
Why not?
Exactly @kittythehare ! I totally agree Bam!! I am shaking my head at the actions of Laundries. As I said earlier they are reaping what they sewed!

Michael Ruiz on Twitter
While a fundraiser for the new #GabbyPetito Foundation is underway in New York, protesters are again gathering outside the #Laundrie residence in Florida.
1:49 PM · Oct 17, 2021·Twitter for iPhone

Fox News on Twitter (Video)
Protesters outside the Laundrie house on Sunday afternoon chant, “Justice for Gabby.” https://fxn.ws/30BGfI7
1:45 PM · Oct 17, 2021·Twitter Web App

Jean Casarez on Twitter (Video)
#gabbypetito foundation holds its first benefit in Long Island. People here want justice and those that knew Gabby tell me she was a very kind and warm person to all…always looking for the best in people.
1:03 PM · Oct 17, 2021·Twitter for iPhone

You always have the right to refuse to answer police questions. This includes LE approaching you or calling you to come to the station for questioning.

Of all things, in the same reserve, they caught another fugitive on the run, Ethan Waters.

If this case were a work of fiction, it would come out that most of the search in the reserve was for *this* fugitive (E), but publicized as a search for BL…all while they have better ideas where BL is and are just waiting for him to decide they are only looking in the wrong place and feel “safe” enough to accidentally reveal himself.
(I say this tongue-in-cheek, but at this point nothing would surprise me)
Edited for MOOing

It isn't 16 miles. Here is the county website for Myakkahatchee park.

Your Local Parks | North Port, FL

The confusion may be that the Carlton Reserve main entrance is off SR72 (Clark Rd) and the Myakka State Park.

Myakka River State Park — Myakka Prairie Tract | WaterMatters.org

Florida does like to be confusing in their names, lol. I think it’s irritating enough they came up with both Brevard and Broward counties.

I think Brian created the horrific situation.
The L's reacted to it based on the knowledge they had.

I don't understand not returning the calls from Gabby's family but I do think they were frightened at that point.
Who knows what BL had told them?

We have seen CL in the Reserve with FBI agents, of his own volition.

jmho

IIRC, CL joined the FBI agents in the Reserve about 4 weeks after Gabby disappeared. That’s not exactly tearing up the turf.

I think it all depends on where you live. This kind of activity at a private residence is illegal under my particular city code. It's also a violation of my specific HOA rules. It is indeed classified as harassment and disturbing the peace. Oh, and throwing items like laundry baskets onto the front lawn and pounding signs into the yard is trespassing.

I'm pretty sure this is not the kind of thing our founding fathers envisaged when they bestowed us the right to peaceful assembly. imo
I’ve said twice I see both sides to the coin. I just don’t think us on WS are going to get them removed, they’re there until they’re removed or they leave because if it was illegal the police would have intervened by now. I know they did for the bullhorns but they didn’t move the protestors on so IMO mustn’t be illegal. I feel like it’s just causing bickering but that’s MOO.

That's a lovely sentiment and very patriotic.
There's one problem.
All bets are off when an act of madness produces the decomposing flesh of someone's daughter lying throttled on a dry creek bed.
Mad acts beget other mad acts. That's the problem with opening Pandora's Murder Box. There are unrequited grievances looking for a cause for blame lurking in the far reaches of our culture and society.
For some, vengeance lies close to the surface. All it takes is a little push to send it over the edge. Then, the rope is knotted, thrown over a tree branch and he object of wrath is hoisted up. Questions asked later. It happens.
We can hope for the ideal, but be pliant enough to understand that the ideal isn't the hub of everyone's wheel.
MOOing...
I agree with you with one caveat.
The Law.
We have laws addressing mad acts such as murder and even violence by self appointed vigilantes.
jmho
So, no, I don't think all bets are off.

In FL, that is not true.
Can a Florida Law Enforcement Officer Detain You Without Arresting You?
Under Florida law, based upon reasonable suspicion that you may be involved in criminal activity, a police officer may require you to identify yourself and explain your presence at a particular time, without arresting you. Under Florida law the officer may not remove you from the immediate vicinity without making an arrest, unless you voluntarily accompany the officer to some other location.
Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member