Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #68

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding the condo discussion. After ChL went to the reserve last week, on his way home he drove through a condo complex. I read later on Twitter that he had owned a condo there. I thought it was very strange that he drove through it with the FBI following him. The FBI then pulled up along side ChL at a stop sign. They spoke for a minute and went separate ways.

WHY would he be showing this area to the FBI? Any thoughts on this?

Perhaps he was pointing out the condo where BL and GP lived (GP's friend Rose has said they lived in a condo owned by the Laundries) and where storage was onsite. The Laundries sold their condo on July 30. It is located in Venice, which is on the side of the Reserve CL was seen entering with the FBI. That would make sense to me.

MOO.

Brian Laundrie is 'likely hiding in city where dad recently sold condo'

New details about home where Gabby & Laundrie lived are revealed by her friend

I think when they saw the messages, they realized this was deep muck, and there was nothing they had to say that was going to make anyone feel better. You really think the Petitos would have felt better if the Laundries said their son is now home a d they have no idea what happened to Gabby? I don’t think so. It would have resulted in a panicked screaming match and possible threats, and even a visit. No answer resulted in a slower processing of the horrible answer. JP, Gabby’s Father on Dr Phil, absolutely stated that at that time (and Gabby was dead then,; he just didn’t know it) he had to continue thinking she was alive. That she was all right.

tThis is an epic tragedy and there was no good way to handle it. If Bl were handed over from the get go, the Laundrie parents might be spared the maddening crowd taunts, but their son would likely have been in worse legal shape. Really, BL, was foolish to run. Unless there is direct evidence that he killed Gabby, possible that the silence helped mitigate the consequences.

Really, if a family member gets into a bad legal predicament, the best thing to do legally and monetarily is to keep quiet. I know families in financial ruin that could have been lessened because they talked too much and for things far less horrible than this. Same as a simple car accident—don’t admit blame, until you have all the facts on the table.

If the Laundries had returned the parents' calls and told them Brian was there then the next question would be to ask Brian where he last saw Gabby. Such a simple question. I seriously doubt there would be a panicked screaming match.

The way the Laundries handled it was incredibly cruel and it appears Brian inherited that cruelty. If it were not for the Bethune blogger, Gabby's body might still be missing.

JMO

The Laundries knew BL flew home and back to Utah.
The Laundries knew BL returned with the van but without Gabby.
The Laundries knew whatever story BL told them.
The Laundries knew the Petitos were very concerned and had not been able to communicate with Gabby.
Right. And IF the story BL told them was that he and Gabby broke up, why in the world wouldn’t they pick up the phone to tell her parents what they knew?? IMO, they knew almost immediately what happened because otherwise they would have answered the phone and said they didn’t know where Gabby was because she and brian broke up.

Right. And IF the story BL told them was that he and Gabby broke up, why in the world wouldn’t they pick up the phone to tell her parents what they knew?? IMO, they knew almost immediately what happened because otherwise they would have answered the phone and said they didn’t know where Gabby was because she and brian broke up.
Just like their son, they have not done ONE thing that could even rise to reasonable doubt, inho.

Thanks for the timeline. I am not supporting the Laundrie’s actions, just thinking it is possible they did not know immediately. Moo

Same.

From the day that the first MOAB bodycam was released my impression was that BL is very manipulative. After that, with the hitchhiker sightings & stealing GB's ID to stop her going out, I also assumed he was devious too but am more flexible now on alternative theories of why he might have done the hitch-hiking)

The debate about whether or not GP&BL lived at the condo makes me question the statements that BL "flew home to clean out the storage unit to save money." If his parents owned the condo I'm sure they weren't charging them storage if they left some belongings there. Is it possible that the condo sold and the new owners said "Ok you can leave your stuff in the storage area but we want $X per month for storage fees?

I'm trying to imagine what the Laundries would have said to Gabby's family, had they taken their calls, if they knew what actually happened to her and didn't lie. What would one say? Hello! Brian just informed us he killed your Gabby and threw her out like garbage? Just hand the phone to BL? If it were my son, I would have called police. I couldn't do what the Laundries may have done. I would hope, even if I was hysterical, I could find the strength to call the family and try and tell them. I don't think I would be able to talk, but maybe I could at least make the effort. Maybe I could show I cared.
Wish we could see the un-redacted 911 reports from the 10th. We have SO many assumptions about what we believe happened from our lenses but absolutely NO idea what the Laundrie's lens was.

The only insight we have is from the Petito's and Schmidt's that has been allowed to shared by the FBI.

I value both sides of "the story" because I can't equitably make a decision without weighing both. My brain just operates that way, for better or worse.

There is likely a reason, it may be great, it may be terrible, but I am unable to make any sort of fair judgment without more insight. MOO.

Bill Nevin said that Gabby "was a typical young girl who wanted to follow her dreams."

Her YouTube channel, which many friends and community members watched, was part of that goal.

"She was living her best life until this happened," Bill said.

"And it's unfortunate and it's sad, because you don't think that could happen."

Steve Campo, one of the organizers of the fundraiser, told The Sun that the Gabby Petito Foundation is "what keeps her memory alive."

"Gabby's going to help," he said.

"Her name is going to help other young people in this situation."

The Sun was able to speak to two of the three men who organized the event.

Steve Campo, Bill Nevin and Christian Cabrera know Jim Schmidt, Gabby's stepfather.

Bill spoke about Gabby's family, and emphasized that they made sure to get her parents' blessing for the fundraising events.

"We went to the family to make sure they were okay with it, and they've been updated every time we did something," Bill said.

The trio started reaching out to their friends for food, entertainment and a venue.

"This came together with the three of us...just rocking and rolling, so to speak," Bill added.

Initially, the fundraiser was going to support Gabby's family directly, but they refused.

"We were just gonna get the money to the family because of the expenses they incurred," Bill said.

But Gabby's family insisted on paying it forward.

"We want the foundation to help other victims of domestic violence," Bill said, "and any other families that have to go through the tragedy that their family went through."

Daniel Welsch, owner of 89 North in Patchogue, said he was devastated to hear of Gabby's fate.

"It's just an unspeakable tragedy," Daniel said.

"It shouldn't ever happen to a sweet young lady like her, or anybody, for that matter," he added.

The fundraiser was put together by one of the musicians playing at the event, who works with Gabby's stepfather, Jim Schmidt.

The response from the community, Daniel said, has been "very positive."

"Everybody wants to help make phone calls and send emails," he said.

One person even drove down from Albany to support the event.

"It touched everybody," Daniel said.

"My heart just sunk," Karen said. "I couldn't imagine what she was going through, how terrified she had to be, witnessing her own life being snuffed out right from under her."

Karen met Gabby when the young vlogger had a restaurant job and served her.

"I mean, she was such a soft lovable girl, you know, very, very sensitive."

Gabby "loved life so much, but I think that Brian was so jealous of her," said Karen.

Brian didn't have the same joy as Gabby, and for that reason, Karen said, "She loved him, but he could not love her back."

"I personally was in an abusive relationship. So, when all of this kind of went public, it hit home for me," said New York City resident Regina Annunziata.

Gabby, said Regina, was "a young, beautiful girl with her whole life ahead of her," who deserved much better than the tragic circumstances she faced.

"It's just heartbreaking that these things happen," said Regina.

She hopes that the Gabby Petito Foundation is able to support anti-domestic violence causes, and provide resources to search for missing people, "so things don't progress to the point that they did unfortunately for her."
TV host John Walsh reveals where he believes Brian Laundrie is currently hiding

I have a great link for an attorney who came out and spoke on this. He explained that because GT is considered Federal Land, it is pretty likely that it will be in the hands of Federal prosecutors. The state can fight to handle it, but in the end it's most likely the Federal end will get it. He also stated he would be tried in WY. All his opinion from the video.

This lawyer is speaking about national PARKS. It is true that the feds have exclusive jurisdiction in national PARKS. The attorney is speaking specifically about Grand Teton National Park.

16 US Code 480 specifically splits out national FORESTS and basically is an agreement that the feds can designate parts of states as national forests, but the state does not lose jurisdiction over those portions of their state.

Gabby's remains were found at Grand Teton National FOREST. Assuming that is the location of the actual murder (which we still don't know) 16-480 should be applicable. imo

Wish we could see the un-redacted 911 reports from the 10th. We have SO many assumptions about what we believe happened from our lenses but absolutely NO idea what the Laundrie's lens was.

The only insight we have is from the Petito's and Schmidt's that has been allowed to shared by the FBI.

I value both sides of "the story" because I can't equitably make a decision without weighing both. My brain just operates that way, for better or worse.

There is likely a reason, it may be great, it may be terrible, but I am unable to make any sort of fair judgment without more insight. MOO.
With all due respect, do you honestly not think we have tried to understand? Most of us have have put ourselves in their place as parents. It just feels as if anything that is not completely supportive of the L"s gets attacked here lately. We do not have to agree and that should be acceptable to us all no matter our opinion. Jmo

I thought about that too. Or, even bring Brian in for questioning. I mean, they could have done that, right? They just would have to wait until the attorney got there.
Ita.
If they had brought B. in for questioning about why his girlfriend and former fiance' never returned and her parent's could not get in touch ; and if they had cooperated with LE from the beginning when they asked to speak with Brian (& if B. wasn't at home, why not tell LE he wasn't there ?) -- they would not have any protester's outside on the street.
It's that simple.
Even now they could take mitigating steps.

We don't know what Brian told the parents.
What if he confessed to them ?
1.) All the parents have to do is to make a public statement saying they are aware that Gabby was murdered and make an apology to her family for the actions of their son.
2.) Or at the very least -- if they know where Brian is -- produce him, and say that he needs to answer LE truthfully and go from there.
Again it's not rocket science, and would go a long way towards mending the public view of them.
Which at the moment is doing poorly.
The Laundries' can steps towards changing the public perception of them by cooperating with LE.
Imo.

I think when they saw the messages, they realized this was deep muck, and there was nothing they had to say that was going to make anyone feel better. You really think the Petitos would have felt better if the Laundries said their son is now home a d they have no idea what happened to Gabby? I don’t think so. It would have resulted in a panicked screaming match and possible threats, and even a visit. No answer resulted in a slower processing of the horrible answer. JP, Gabby’s Father on Dr Phil, absolutely stated that at that time (and Gabby was dead then,; he just didn’t know it) he had to continue thinking she was alive. That she was all right.

tThis is an epic tragedy and there was no good way to handle it. If Bl were handed over from the get go, the Laundrie parents might be spared the maddening crowd taunts, but their son would likely have been in worse legal shape. Really, BL, was foolish to run. Unless there is direct evidence that he killed Gabby, possible that the silence helped mitigate the consequences.

Really, if a family member gets into a bad legal predicament, the best thing to do legally and monetarily is to keep quiet. I know families in financial ruin that could have been lessened because they talked too much and for things far less horrible than this. Same as a simple car accident—don’t admit blame, until you have all the facts on the table.

I suspect your position is an unpopular one here, but I agree that remaining silent was the best option for the Laundries given the circumstances. Infuriating? Yes. When all of our own projected morality and emotional outrage is removed from the situation (and I hold space for all of it) we come down to the legal side of things. Remaining silent and following their attorney's guidance is just practical, IMO.

-- changed wording

Last edited:
Ita.
If they had brought B. in for questioning about why his girlfriend and former fiance' never returned and her parent's could not get in touch ; and if they had cooperated with LE from the beginning when they asked to speak with Brian (& if B. wasn't at home, why not tell LE he wasn't there ?) -- they would not have any protester's outside on the street.
It's that simple.
Even now they could take mitigating steps.

We don't know what Brian told the parents.
What if he confessed ?
All the parents have to do is to make a public statement saying they are aware that Gabby was murdered and make an apology to her family for the actions of their son.
Or at the very least -- if they know where Brian is -- produce him, and say that he needs to answer LE truthfully and go from there.
Again it's not rocket science, and would go a long way towards mending the public view of them.
Which at the moment is doing poorly.
Imo.
Just like all of you, I have never understood this at all. Why couldn't they insist on just LOOKING at BL to confirm his presence? Not question him, just look at him? I don't understand that. Jmo

As it turned out, the car was parked 16 miles from the home. But, yes, he could have taken a bike in the Mustang.

Where are you getting this information? The abandoned vehicle report and this article say the Mustang was located at the entrance to the Myakkahatchee Creek Environmental Park located at 6968 Reisterstown Road. Which is only about 5 miles from the Laundries' home on Wabasso.

From the link:

"They reported Brian Laundrie, 23, missing Sept. 17 and told authorities he drove their Ford Mustang to Myakkahatchee Creek Environmental Park in North Port to go hiking on Sept. 14. The park abuts the 25,000-acre T. Mabry Carlton Jr. Reserve.

One redacted report — incident No. 21-053269, at 2:42 p.m. dated Sept. 14 — is filed as an abandoned vehicle report at the address of 6968 Reisterstown Road, in North Port, where the Mustang was left."

Gabby Petito case: North Port redacts records on Petito, Laundrie family

I have a question for any of our wonderful lawyers. Here's the relevant US Code about civil and criminal jurisdiction in National Forests:

16 U.S. Code § 480 - Civil and criminal jurisdiction

It reads:

The jurisdiction, both civil and criminal, over persons within national forests shall not be affected or changed by reason of their existence, except so far as the punishment of offenses against the United States therein is concerned; the intent and meaning of this provision being that the State wherein any such national forest is situated shall not, by reason of the establishment thereof, lose its jurisdiction, nor the inhabitants thereof their rights and privileges as citizens, or be absolved from their duties as citizens of the State.

I have always taken this to mean that unless the offense is against the US Government, in National Forests, cases are tried by the People of the state in question (in Gabby's case, the People of Wyoming).

I am looking at a case where a serial killer committed all his murders in national forests - he was tried by the State in each case (three states) not in federal court (FBI criminologists were heavily involved in helping out, though). Right now, BL's crimes are against Federal codes (banking laws), but I do believe that when murder charges are brought, it will be by the State of Wyoming.

Thoughts?
I think this case will be tried in a Wyoming federal court and that is why the FBI has taken the lead.

I understand. I responded with the interview because you were unsure of the date Gabby's family first contacted the Laundrie's.

I like to provide links etc. to support my answers. It can get confusing sorting through fact from fiction.
The last two pages here show the two incidents at the Laundries on 9/10. It does show the times the officer arrived. I wonder how these times line up with the 911 calls. That might tell us how serious the 911 call sounded or how serious NPPD took the call.
https://cdn.muckrock.com/foia_files/2021/10/14/4343_Wabasso_9_1_to_10_8_Redacted.pdf

Where are you getting this information? The abandoned vehicle report and this article say the Mustang was located at the entrance to the Myakkahatchee Creek Environmental Park located at 6968 Reisterstown Road. Which is only about 5 miles from the Laundries' home on Wabasso.

From the link:

"They reported Brian Laundrie, 23, missing Sept. 17 and told authorities he drove their Ford Mustang to Myakkahatchee Creek Environmental Park in North Port to go hiking on Sept. 14. The park abuts the 25,000-acre T. Mabry Carlton Jr. Reserve.

One redacted report — incident No. 21-053269, at 2:42 p.m. dated Sept. 14 — is filed as an abandoned vehicle report at the address of 6968 Reisterstown Road, in North Port, where the Mustang was left."

Gabby Petito case: North Port redacts records on Petito, Laundrie family
Yes, the Mustang was even given a citation, right?

I suspect your position is an unpopular one here, but I agree that remaining silent was the best option for the Laundries given the circumstances. Infuriating? Yes. When all of our own projected morality and emotional outrage is removed from the situation (and I hold space for all of it) we come down to the legal side of things. Remaining silent and following your attorney's guidance is just practical, IMO.

Agree… and so will just about every attorney. The problem is that the Laundries and their attorney failed miserably in managing public and media relations when this case gained national & international attention. The other problem is that innocent people generally don’t go on the run.

Protesters outside home of Brian Laundrie's parents hold up signs and chant 'Justice for Gabby'
Sat, October 16, 2021, 4:35 PM

upload_2021-10-17_14-29-16-png.317798

Brian Laundrie - update: Fugitive’s father tears protest sign from lawn as Petito parents demand ‘justice’
Sun, October 17, 2021, 1:53 PM

upload_2021-10-17_14-34-35-png.317799

Chris-Laundrie-3.jpg

Brian Laundrie’s father, Chris Laundrie, stormed out of his house on Saturday to tear down a protest sign on his lawn, Fox News footage shows.

The sign had read, “What if it was Cassie?” – apparently referring to Cassie Laundrie, Chris’ daughter.

Protesters have been gathering outside the Laundrie home for weeks, waving protest signs and shouting at the family.

In an interview with 60 Minutes Australia, Ms Petito’s stepfather, Jim Schmidt, said: “We want vengeance and justice, and for him to pay for his crimes.”

Nichole Schmidt, Ms Petito’s mother, added: “I just want to get him in a cell for the rest of his life.”

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member