Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #68

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question for any of our wonderful lawyers. Here's the relevant US Code about civil and criminal jurisdiction in National Forests:

16 U.S. Code § 480 - Civil and criminal jurisdiction

It reads:

The jurisdiction, both civil and criminal, over persons within national forests shall not be affected or changed by reason of their existence, except so far as the punishment of offenses against the United States therein is concerned; the intent and meaning of this provision being that the State wherein any such national forest is situated shall not, by reason of the establishment thereof, lose its jurisdiction, nor the inhabitants thereof their rights and privileges as citizens, or be absolved from their duties as citizens of the State.

I have always taken this to mean that unless the offense is against the US Government, in National Forests, cases are tried by the People of the state in question (in Gabby's case, the People of Wyoming).

I am looking at a case where a serial killer committed all his murders in national forests - he was tried by the State in each case (three states) not in federal court (FBI criminologists were heavily involved in helping out, though). Right now, BL's crimes are against Federal codes (banking laws), but I do believe that when murder charges are brought, it will be by the State of Wyoming.

Thoughts?

eta: my post assumes you're talking about an eventual murder charge. The current charge is a federal crime, so will most definitely be in federal court, imo.

Apparently, it is extremely complicated. Here's a case that discusses a very similar circumstance. It's quite dense. From the link:

In summary, the Court concludes that the Weeks Act permitted the Untied States to obtain concurrent jurisdiction over national forest lands; that the State of Michigan granted concurrent jurisdiction to the United States over national forest lands; that the Oxford Lake Parcel on which Timmerman's body was found was acquired by the United States in 1939; that acceptance of jurisdiction by the United States over property acquired before 1940 was presumed; that there was no affirmative act at the time the property was acquired that would suggest that the United States rejected jurisdiction; and that there has been no affirmative act subsequent to the United States's acquisition of the property sufficient to constitute retrocesssion of jurisdiction. Accordingly, the Court finds that the United States had jurisdiction to prosecute crimes occurring on the Oxford Lake parcel of the Manistee National Forest.

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg...r-00076/pdf/USCOURTS-miwd-1_99-cr-00076-4.pdf

Surely you aren't suggesting the police say they are conducting a police welfare check when that's not true are you?

Your link above says

"Essentially, as long as they have reasonable grounds to believe that an inhabitant in a residence in endangered, they can legally enter the premises."

What reasonable grounds existed to think anyone, including Brian, was endangered inside the Laundrie home?

JMO

Surely you aren't suggesting the police say they are conducting a police welfare check when that's not true are you?

Your link above says

"Essentially, as long as they have reasonable grounds to believe that an inhabitant in a residence in endangered, they can legally enter the premises."

What reasonable grounds existed to think anyone, including Brian, was endangered inside the Laundrie home?

JMO
I do believe the police were sent to the Laundrie home to conduct a welfare check for Gabby because the Laundries were not returning the her parents calls. JMO

This article states the car was found 16 miles from where Laundrie's parents said they found it. iow, his parents lied. jmo

BRIAN Laundrie's abandoned Ford Mustang was found 16 miles from the Carlton Reserve, where his parents claim he went hiking the last time they saw him.

Laundrie's Ford was found MILES from reserve where parents claim he went hiking
How did the Sun determine this abandoned vehicle report is for the Laundries Mustang? All identifying information is redacted.

I have a great link for an attorney who came out and spoke on this. He explained that because GT is considered Federal Land, it is pretty likely that it will be in the hands of Federal prosecutors. The state can fight to handle it, but in the end it's most likely the Federal end will get it. He also stated he would be tried in WY. All his opinion from the video.

It doesn't answer my question, though I truly appreciate the answer.

Seems like it needs to be said again: Gabby was not found inside a National Park. I have worked on cases in three national parks (as a consultant) and one national monument. National Parks are different to National Forests, which is why I was asking for an interpretation regarding National Forests.

Four people I knew in high school died in our local National Forest. Two were investigated as murders - by our County Sheriff. In the process of that, a different crime was uncovered (involving a friend of one of the deceased boys). That was prosecuted in Superior Court in our County.

So, I'm well aware that things go down different in National Parks - but the way I read that statute and all the cases I can find of murder in a National Forest (Bridger-Teton in this case) are prosecuted the the relevant State.

Because there are specific laws about weapons and guns in National Parks (that are federal laws), National Park crimes are prosecuted differently (I'm not an expert on that either, and the cases I was involved in had elements that specifically violated NP rules, regulations or laws).

But what about National Forests. Gabby was found in a National Forest. Here's that US (Federal) Code Section again:

//The jurisdiction, both civil and criminal, over persons within national forests shall not be affected or changed by reason of their existence, except so far as the punishment of offenses against the United States therein is concerned; the intent and meaning of this provision being that the State wherein any such national forest is situated shall not, by reason of the establishment thereof, lose its jurisdiction, nor the inhabitants thereof their rights and privileges as citizens, or be absolved from their duties as citizens of the State.//
(Emphasis mine).

It seems to me if a law that is a Federal law (such as banking laws or FAA laws) is broken inside any jurisdiction, the Feds get it. But it also seems to me, from personal experience and from looking at National Forest serial killers such as Gary Hilton (there's a good wikipedia article on him) that such crimes are tried in County Courts. In this case, it would be Teton County that tries the case (IMO).

The alleged crime of BL (related to illegal use of some type of credit or debit card) falls under Federal interstate banking laws and would be Federal regardless of where it happened - but I do believe it happened in the NP. That's all the Feds can do. It's my understanding that this charge is being used to find BL and that the murder charge would have to be filed in Teton County...so for us court-watchers, that's important information.

Your link above says

JMO

MOO

Wouldn’t there have been some reason to think that Gabby, up until the moment her body was discovered, might be endangered and inside the Laundries home? (And LE had made contact with the Laundries several days before her body was discovered.)

MOO

How did the Sun determine this abandoned vehicle report is for the Laundries Mustang? All identifying information is redacted.

Good point. $$$? Cause I looked everywhere. They were first and subsequent articles followed. Tbh, I firmly believe they are reading here. I’ve noticed when we bring something valid up; soon after-by sheeeeer coincidence - there’s a new article.
Y’all might think I’m kidding. I’m not. I’ve been watching them for a long time.

MOO

Wouldn’t there have been some reason to think that Gabby, up until the moment her body was discovered, might be endangered and inside the Laundries home? (And LE had made contact with the Laundries several days before her body was discovered.)

MOO

Sure. Hypothetically, for all North Port Police knew, Gabby could have been tied up in the house.

Sleuths create pics showing what Brian might look like a month on the run

Hi guys, have you seen these photos of what BL might look like with long hair? What do you think? Could this disguise be good enough? I still think
he would need a hat to cover his ears though.
I want his hair if it grows this quickly. My husbands is about that length and it took him about a year to grow. Unless it’s a wig? Im sure JB asked a hairdresser on WFLA live and she said it wouldn’t grow that quickly, a few weeks ago. However I do think his beard would thicken out and look unkempt, my husbands beard takes about a month to grow back in to about a few inches. MOO

She kind of confused me as well. I still appreciate the video! It is very interesting she never saw Gabby much, or saw them working on the van together, only BL. Maybe the condo was kind of a place to go to when they wanted to get away, like just from the house? I'm confused now lol.

Probably, yes.
It's shame that whoever did the tiktok with Rose Davis didn't pin her down to dates.
Equally here's Cassie & husband saying they lived with GP & BL for a year but no dates given 2019 -21. Maybe somebody on WS can narrow down the date ranges?

Cassie at 8m 30s says she never saw BL be violent & they lived with them for a year ( contrast that with Rose saying that GP came to her house '7-10 times in the first year' to get away from arguments & Gabby's phrase re his 'episodes' but that they'd never argue in front of Rose ( Mail Online)

episodes quote link again ( BTW I feel Cassie suspected reason BL suddenly appeared at her house Sept 1st just cause of the way she changes the subject)
Gabby Petito's best friend claims Brian Laundrie was jealous and controlling | Daily Mail Online

ETA I don't mean Cassie suspected he'd murdered her. I just think she already knew something about BL's tumultuous MHealth or volatile relationship or these 'episodes'

Last edited:
Do we know if the police asked to speak to Brian on the 10th? One would think that's only logical. And, if they did ask to speak to him, what response did they receive? Surely, LE's radar would have been up and operating enough to realize they needed to speak to Brian (the last person who had contact with the missing Gabby)?
Here’s video clip from Monday September 13 where NPPD spokesperson said they attempted to speak with BL.

https://twitter.com/garnamejiaksl/status/1437594544590114820?s=21

Same here- it's confusing

I wondered whether the neighbour hadn't known that Cassie's family were related to Chris & Roberta & just assumed they were a family renting? mainly though, I was just intrigued why she'd never seen much of GP at Wabasso
I also thought it was strange that they didn’t see GB often, but we have heard she was working 50 hrs a week at Taco Bell.

Last edited:
It would if the Petitos called North Port Police and asked for a wellness check on both GP and BL, with both feared missing.

I have experienced a wellness check where the officers asked to see everyone that was in the home.

But that's not what happened. The NPPD was asked only for a check on GP.

I don't believe it's standard to ask to see everybody but in many situations police can ask for many things. (Mind if we look around? Mind opening your car trunk? Can I see your phone? Mind unlocking it?) And if people give them what they ask, fine. Those folks may well regret it but they did it. If people say no, the police can't force it without something else-- a search warrant, arrest warrant, whatever.
JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member