Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #68

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right. But that wouldn't mean they could demand to see Brian.
JMO
Sure they could and likely did. Gabby's parents didn't know where the couple was and assumed they were together. LE was told by the Laundries that GP wasn't there and then they gave police the attorney's card. It's in the police reports posted up thread. I'm confident it is the reason the NY police officer immediately issued the missing person report on Gabby.

jmo

Do you have a link showing that the families had a long standing relationship? That issue is driving me crazy! I can't even seem to find something that verifies they were neighbors! It would certainly impact the dynamics depending on their relationship.

It was in one of today’s pages on this thread.

Just had a thought, when BL was pulled over by the police he didn’t keep quiet then but he did when GP was missing/dead. Just thinking he didn’t have anyone around him advising him at the stop so perhaps he was more willing to talk but as soon as he gets back it’s complete silence. Wonder why that is. JMO

Sure they could and likely did. Gabby's parents didn't know where the couple was and assumed they were together. LE was told by the Laundries that GP wasn't there and then they gave police the attorney's card. It's in the police reports posted up thread. I'm confident it is the reason the NY police officer immediately issued the missing person report on Gabby.

jmo

I don't think so. By the time that check was done wasn't it known to JP the van was there? So I don't think GP's parents asked for a check on anyone but GP.

JMO

The protestors are no better than vigilantes. Stop harassing the parents.

Walk a mile in their shoes.

Is all big talk about turning in your kid for a capital offense to face LWOP or DP, but it is by people who have never faced this situation.

I couldn't do it. I would help my child avoid capture until my last breath - not because I wouldn't be horrified and heartbroken, but because I could not live with my child in a cage being beaten and raped for the rest of his life or in a coffin compliments of the state.

Just the truth.

If the parents helped him, it is completely understandable.

BBM
Agree on this one about the Protestors. . Protestors are just too much. I don't understand why they believe their yelling is going to make anyone do anything different.
Sometimes I wonder if BL is dead, and his family is found to be involved in any of this, they will have to face that turmoil too. IMO, I really believe the parents lives are ruined in so many aspects.
But if someone ends up in prison for something they did, the coffin comes, due to consequence of their own actions. JMO.

IANAL, but I agree with your interpretation of 16-480. I also find it curious that a document was filed to a docket in Teton County District Court. That's a state court in Wyoming, not federal.

Thank you, CG. I didn't even think to check the docket - but I think it's time we think about checking Teton County's court website regularly, now that the autopsy report is semi-final (keeping in mind that the Coroner's full report should also be completed at some time).

I think this case will be tried in a Wyoming federal court and that is why the FBI has taken the lead.

And I think the feds have the "lead" right now due to the bank fraud charges, and that this will be tried in the Superior Court of Teton County, Wyoming.

I don't believe there are federal murder statutes, unless related to terrorism or treason. I do hope a lawyer will weigh in. I'll be very surprised if this goes to Wyoming Federal Court, given what US Statutes say about this. If there are exceptions or counter-examples to, say, the Gary Hilton case - please post!

It doesn't answer my question, though I truly appreciate the answer.

Seems like it needs to be said again: Gabby was not found inside a National Park. I have worked on cases in three national parks (as a consultant) and one national monument. National Parks are different to National Forests, which is why I was asking for an interpretation regarding National Forests.

Four people I knew in high school died in our local National Forest. Two were investigated as murders - by our County Sheriff. In the process of that, a different crime was uncovered (involving a friend of one of the deceased boys). That was prosecuted in Superior Court in our County.

So, I'm well aware that things go down different in National Parks - but the way I read that statute and all the cases I can find of murder in a National Forest (Bridger-Teton in this case) are prosecuted the the relevant State.

Because there are specific laws about weapons and guns in National Parks (that are federal laws), National Park crimes are prosecuted differently (I'm not an expert on that either, and the cases I was involved in had elements that specifically violated NP rules, regulations or laws).

But what about National Forests. Gabby was found in a National Forest. Here's that US (Federal) Code Section again:

//The jurisdiction, both civil and criminal, over persons within national forests shall not be affected or changed by reason of their existence, except so far as the punishment of offenses against the United States therein is concerned; the intent and meaning of this provision being that the State wherein any such national forest is situated shall not, by reason of the establishment thereof, lose its jurisdiction, nor the inhabitants thereof their rights and privileges as citizens, or be absolved from their duties as citizens of the State.//
(Emphasis mine).

It seems to me if a law that is a Federal law (such as banking laws or FAA laws) is broken inside any jurisdiction, the Feds get it. But it also seems to me, from personal experience and from looking at National Forest serial killers such as Gary Hilton (there's a good wikipedia article on him) that such crimes are tried in County Courts. In this case, it would be Teton County that tries the case (IMO).

The alleged crime of BL (related to illegal use of some type of credit or debit card) falls under Federal interstate banking laws and would be Federal regardless of where it happened - but I do believe it happened in the NP. That's all the Feds can do. It's my understanding that this charge is being used to find BL and that the murder charge would have to be filed in Teton County...so for us court-watchers, that's important information.

I know, I tried sorry lol. I took it as A National Park/Forest, from what he said, would still be considered Federal. The state can try to fight for the case, but they usually will hand it over to Federal jurisdiction. I did not know National Forests were split or considered still under State Jurisdiction, I assumed they would still be Fed related. Also, I thought it was just Grand National Park she was found in, not National Forest. Thank you for all the information and your experience. It sure will be a wild one, when and if he is caught.

I believe you might be right, but can you please provide a link to support this? It will certainly help to clarify things.

TIA.
Police do wellness checks as a public service.

Missing Gabby Petito's dad linked to Laundrie home incident report evening before daughter reported missing

Gabby Petito’s father was involved in a "public service" incident report at her fiancé Brian Laundrie’s home on Sept. 10, nine days after he returned to Florida without her from a cross-country road trip and a day before she was reported missing by her mother, according to heavily redacted police reports.

Petito did not go to the home physically, North Port police said separately, but expressed concern about his daughter's whereabouts.

I'm confused now, too. But things like this just highlight the fact we actually "know" essentially zero about these people or the goings on here. We need a lot more information to make heads or tails of any of this. And LE is telling us zip. So frustrating. jmo

Telling us to zip? I think that’s only for people involved in the case, not the general public. That would be impossible.

moo

No one called in a welfare check for BL. The subject LE was looking for, as per the warrant, was Gabby. The Laundries stated the subject was not there. End of. LE had no cause to demand the appearance of BL. The missing person report had nothing to do with him.
This is where it gets so confusing to me. What if BL and Gabby had indeed driven home together, and something bad happened in FL, perhaps at the parent's house. Of course we know that's not the case - speculating here about the rules surrounding welfare checks. Doesn't a welfare check mean the police get to go inside and look around and ask questions? They could have been hiding her inside but it sounds as if telling LE "she's not here" sufficed. If you request a wellness check on an elderly parent, they will try to get inside the residence and not just say "She didn't answer her door."

This is where I am also lost. I heard Publix, then Gabby states a juice bar in Moab, then I hear a sandwich shop. Now Taco Bell?

Good point!
Wish we knew which year that was though. will go have a look to see if there's anything on the timeline

Just had a thought, when BL was pulled over by the police he didn’t keep quiet then but he did when GP was missing/dead. Just thinking he didn’t have anyone around him advising him at the stop so perhaps he was more willing to talk but as soon as he gets back it’s complete silence. Wonder why that is. JMO
He had no one to run interference for him at the traffic stop.

If the Laundries had returned the parents' calls and told them Brian was there then the next question would be to ask Brian where he last saw Gabby. Such a simple question. I seriously doubt there would be a panicked screaming match.

The way the Laundries handled it was incredibly cruel and it appears Brian inherited that cruelty. If it were not for the Bethune blogger, Gabby's body might still be missing.

JMO
To be fair, the searchers were already at Spread Creek before the Bethune's realized that they had captured the van in that spot.

While it "may" have helped locate the body, we don't really know what the feds knew before that or when they knew it. It did help establish a date and add to the timeline, for sure!

The FBI has put a blanket of silence on this case. I say that because we have NO evidence to prove or disprove that Brian or his attorney never spoke to the FBI, they won't tell us that. We are simply assuming that to be the case. Just like we are assuming BL and GP lived at the Laundrie's house, may or may not be a fact. How can we know?

This is just my assumption and opinion, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RayaCo