Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #68

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sleuths create pics showing what Brian might look like a month on the run

Hi guys, have you seen these photos of what BL might look like with long hair? What do you think? Could this disguise be good enough? I still think
he would need a hat to cover his ears though.
Except that is a LOT more than a month of hair growth on his head. He would look more like this after 4-6 months (avg. hair growth is 1/2 inch). The one photo has a definite Kenny Loggins vibe but I digress... :)

To be fair, 1,600 people are reported missing every single day in the US. It is not realistic or doable for LE to demand the friends/family members of all these people to report to the police station with their lawyer.

We are dissecting this situation with the benefit of hindsight and knowing the outcome. LE knew NOTHING when they visited the Laundrie residence on Sep 11th. She was just one of 1,600 people reported missing that day. And they definitely did not have probable cause to search, arrest, or detain anybody. imo
Hmm, I don't think I mentioned searching, arresting, or detaining anyone. In my opinion, the police had a reason to "question" BL with his lawyer present, which is what I wrote. The van in the driveway which didn't belong to him was a pretty good reason to ask questions. JMOO.

This is where I am also lost. I heard Publix, then Gabby states a juice bar in Moab, then I hear a sandwich shop. Now Taco Bell?
I'm not understanding why you're lost?
Gabby worked so wasn't constantly hanging around the pavements of the Laundries' house is what I took from this.
Ergo neighbours didn't see much of her.
Am I reading this right?

Except that is a LOT more than a month of hair growth on his head. He would look more like this after 4-6 months (avg. hair growth is 1/2 inch). The one photo has a definite Kenny Loggins vibe but I digress... :)
He would definitely need a wig, easy to order on Amazon. Plus if he wore a hat with it, it would look even more authentic, IMO.

Just in case anyone is interested.

According to the search warrant, GP's cell phone carrier was T-Mobile. The warrant is linked inside the article below.
Gabby Petito update: Search warrant documents reveal 'odd texts,' tension in days leading up to disappearance

So I looked up T-Mobile on the FCC carrier map to see what kind of signal was in Spread Creek. Everything in pink is signal. Each attachment zooms closer in.
ArcGIS Web Application

The first link above reminds us of that almost never talked about August 30th text to her mother which we now know was not sent by Gabby. I wonder if perhaps LE stopped allowing the family to mention it as it could be evidence towards the case and pinpoints the text coming from BL somewhere on his trip back. What I find interesting is that her phone was “off” or indeed no longer operational as from August 27th per the above link posted by TL4S (thanks) so, how did the Aug 30th text come from Gabby’s phone? Perhaps a laptop linking to her phone like WhatsApp where you can have the app open and use from your laptop or PC. Any thoughts?

The police had already visited the house on 9/10 for a “wellness check” and the Laundries had already gotten texts, emails , voice messages from the Petitos that day so that they knew something was seriously wrong. How much or what BL told them, we don’t know, and likely will never know . I suspect they called the attorney that day who gave them an idea of what to expect next. The lawyer apparently spoke to BL. So , when LE came the next day to request to talk to them, they were ready. The day before, they just asked to speak to Gabby and were told she was not there which triggered the missing persons report. MOO
Exactly right. Once police knew that GP was not there but her van was, they needed to question BL. But that didn't happen, unfortunately. JMOO

This article states the car was found 16 miles from where Laundrie's parents said they found it. iow, his parents lied. jmo

BRIAN Laundrie's abandoned Ford Mustang was found 16 miles from the Carlton Reserve, where his parents claim he went hiking the last time they saw him.

Laundrie's Ford was found MILES from reserve where parents claim he went hiking

Any idea where "The. Sun" (a tabloid news rag) is getting its information, as opposed to what the police report says? See the report, posted once again, below. The Sun is, as usually, WRONG and just clickbait. I, for one, will appreciate knowing in advance if it's a Sun article, because I intend to ignore them, as they are entirely unreliable.

The redacted police report is from September 14, a day after the Laundries now claim Brian left for his hikeCredit: North Port Police Department
Laundrie's Ford was found MILES from reserve where parents claim he went hiking
View attachment 317803
https://twitter.com/WFLAJosh/status/1445805817748467713

Nothing in that says that police can go inside the house unless there is probable cause. So if someone answers the door on a welfare check, and says, "Nope, everything is good here," that's the end of it. If the police say, "Well, is John Doe usually living here?" and the answer can be, "Everything is fine here, no further comment" then the welfare check was in error. You can't call in a welfare check for your neighbor's house and inquire about someone who doesn't live there. Even if the residents have a dead body in a bedroom, if they come to the door and say all is well, that's the end of the welfare check.

LE now needs to do something else to get inside - and that's called probable cause. A warrant isn't strictly needed if probable cause is strong (strong odor of decomp, house is on fire).

Police do not get to come in and look for said person. If there's no answer, they'll go round the windows most places - and in many places, they'll then get a locksmith if they have reason to believe the person is injured or dead. If. they need to break down a door, they need more authority than just a neighbor's phone call. Where I live, LE will go to nearby houses while they wait for the watch commander to weigh in and, if necessary, for a warrant (judges are on call 24/7 in my county, but that's not true everywhere).

If police were to knock doors down without warrants on the pretext of a "welfare check" (an extra-legal exercise), they can find themselves unable to use. anything they find as evidence if in fact, there is foul play. Further, people would use welfare checks to harass others (would be less illegal than Swatting, which is a misuse of 911).

Thing is, the Laundries answered the door. Welfare check over.

This lawyer is speaking about national PARKS. It is true that the feds have exclusive jurisdiction in national PARKS. The attorney is speaking specifically about Grand Teton National Park.

16 US Code 480 specifically splits out national FORESTS and basically is an agreement that the feds can designate parts of states as national forests, but the state does not lose jurisdiction over those portions of their state.

Gabby's remains were found at Grand Teton National FOREST. Assuming that is the location of the actual murder (which we still don't know) 16-480 should be applicable. imo
I admit I am confused on this National Park v. National Forest issue.

If I look at this map of the Spread Creek Dispersed Camping Area, it is my understanding that GP's van was parked near where campsite #5 is located and the Bethune's first spotted that van after they progressed down the road past campsite #3 and into the turn near campsite #4.

So, if GP's body was located roughly 2oo-300 yards north of approximately campsite #5 and in the dry creek area of Spread Creek, wouldn't it have been left in Grand Teton National Park, even if the van itself were parked just inside the northern boundary of Bridger-Teton National Forest?

So, if GP was killed where her body was left, she was killed in the National Park?

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd629693.pdf

ETA: Or am I wrong, and it is actually in the area between campsites #7 and #8 that the Bethune's spotted the van?

Last edited:
Police do wellness checks as a public service.

Missing Gabby Petito's dad linked to Laundrie home incident report evening before daughter reported missing

Gabby Petito’s father was involved in a "public service" incident report at her fiancé Brian Laundrie’s home on Sept. 10, nine days after he returned to Florida without her from a cross-country road trip and a day before she was reported missing by her mother, according to heavily redacted police reports.

Petito did not go to the home physically, North Port police said separately, but expressed concern about his daughter's whereabouts.

Thank you. Yes, I understand that police do wellness checks. I've been home when the police have come to check on an elderly neighbor. It is a necessary public service, IMO.

This is where I am also lost. I heard Publix, then Gabby states a juice bar in Moab, then I hear a sandwich shop. Now Taco Bell?
Do you mean, did she have all those jobs? She may have at different times, or maybe some of them are incorrect. They all appear to involve food, and IIRC at one point she described herself as a nutritionist. In the vanlife videos she shows herself preparing food. Though she may not have had formal training in food and nutrition, it did seem to be an interest of hers.

JMO

The transit van is very popular, in a cool way, among young vanlifers, imo. While one with an extended wheelbase is bigger, think of theirs as a starter house, literally.

I am nearly positive they very much loved all of it, it shows in the way they customized it and poured their heartand soul into the upgrades and aesthetics.

Simply darling and quite efficient for just getting started. They had been in a car. MOO.

Kinda O/T, please let me know or do a MOD-delete if not allowed: Transit Van history, the vans were/are quite popular in Europe & UK. Evolution of the Ford Transit Van By the way, the old Transit vans were liked as getaway verhicles, as they had the speed and handling as a passenger car while hauling the complete gang and loot Favourite getaway vehicles for bank robberies in the 1970's make a whopping £17,250 Again, sorry if this is not allowed, I am a Van person, have diven many-a-mile and lived in one for years -out of free will and before it becam 'hip', I would like to add.

EBM: removed link that caused a 'pop-up' in the message

Last edited:
I don't think so. By the time that check was done wasn't it known to JP the van was there? So I don't think GP's parents asked for a check on anyone but GP.

JMO

The parents have said they didn't even know the van was there until the police did their check. The implication was that he didn't find out this info until late on the 11th. Which means it's possible the initial welfare check could have been for both Brian and Gabby. Not saying it definitely was, but until we see the unredacted report it's a possibility.

Gabby Petito's father says he wants Brian Laundrie found alive – KION546

Before Petito’s parents reported her missing, they thought both their daughter and Laundrie had disappeared, Joe Petito told McGraw in the interview aired Tuesday.

Schmidt told McGraw in the earlier interview segment that she didn’t know the van was at the Laundries’ home until September 11, after she reported that Gabby was missing.

I recall a quote from JP where he also said he didn't know the van was back until the 11th but I'm having more trouble finding that.

I asked a few threads ago why LE had not physically sighted BL on 9/10 during the welfare check and had so hoped this would provide an answer. . To my mind, the L’s could have told LE that BL was NOT going to speak to them till they were blue in the face. Yet I’m left holding firm on the view LE should have SEEN bl at the absolute minimum. The fact that, in the many visits LE made to the L’s house 9/10-11 including taking possession of the van THEY NEVER LAYED EYES ON HIM ONCE, to me at least, he wasn’t there. MOO

eta: my post assumes you're talking about an eventual murder charge. The current charge is a federal crime, so will most definitely be in federal court, imo.

Apparently, it is extremely complicated. Here's a case that discusses a very similar circumstance. It's quite dense. From the link:

In summary, the Court concludes that the Weeks Act permitted the Untied States to obtain concurrent jurisdiction over national forest lands; that the State of Michigan granted concurrent jurisdiction to the United States over national forest lands; that the Oxford Lake Parcel on which Timmerman's body was found was acquired by the United States in 1939; that acceptance of jurisdiction by the United States over property acquired before 1940 was presumed; that there was no affirmative act at the time the property was acquired that would suggest that the United States rejected jurisdiction; and that there has been no affirmative act subsequent to the United States's acquisition of the property sufficient to constitute retrocesssion of jurisdiction. Accordingly, the Court finds that the United States had jurisdiction to prosecute crimes occurring on the Oxford Lake parcel of the Manistee National Forest.

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg...r-00076/pdf/USCOURTS-miwd-1_99-cr-00076-4.pdf
Yeah, it gets messy. The bottom line, I think, is this:

"In order for the United States to obtain jurisdiction over national forest lands, "both the state and federal governments [must] agree to the transfer" of jurisdiction." Id. at 612 (quoting United States v. Johnson, 994 F.2d 980, 984 (2nd Cir.
1993))."

So basically, it looks like Wyoming has to agree to transfer jurisdiction to the US and the US has to agree to take it? I don't know. That document scrambled my brain.

It looks like the defendant in that case was arguing that the US had no jurisdiction to prosecute him and the court said either the US or the state could legally prosecute him. So, concurrent jurisdiction. At least in Michigan.

But, from reading that case, it looks like jurisdiction also depends on state law passed or not passed when the forest was established in that state in the first place. I guess we have to look to Wyoming law for that.

My opinion, which could be totally wrong. lol

To be fair, the searchers were already at Spread Creek before the Bethune's realized that they had captured the van in that spot.

While it "may" have helped locate the body, we don't really know what the feds knew before that or when they knew it. It did help establish a date and add to the timeline, for sure!

The FBI has put a blanket of silence on this case. I say that because we have NO evidence to prove or disprove that Brian or his attorney never spoke to the FBI, they won't tell us that. We are simply assuming that to be the case. Just like we are assuming BL and GP lived at the Laundrie's house, may or may not be a fact. How can we know?

This is just my assumption and opinion, of course.

They may have found the body without the video, but it definitely provide concrete evidence linking the van to the site on a specific date and time. Which I think is important. jmo

Last edited:

They both worked at.Publix for a.time but publix.only hires.part.time afaik. So.it.possible she worked.somewhere.else taco bell ! . my son said she worked.at the smoothie bar near.Publix but I don't know.if that true or not!

My husband sells.to. the gift shop.at Ft Desoto and they were told.not to talk.about it! He was asking questions and they couldn't say anytning!

But a good mask he could tuck that beard in or one of the neck warmer things. I think he has several options to look different.

Any idea where "The. Sun" (a tabloid news rag) is getting its information, as opposed to what the police report says? See the report, posted once again, below. The Sun is, as usually, WRONG and just clickbait. I, for one, will appreciate knowing in advance if it's a Sun article, because I intend to ignore them, as they are entirely unreliable.

Nothing in that says that police can go inside the house unless there is probable cause. So if someone answers the door on a welfare check, and says, "Nope, everything is good here," that's the end of it. If the police say, "Well, is John Doe usually living here?" and the answer can be, "Everything is fine here, no further comment" then the welfare check was in error. You can't call in a welfare check for your neighbor's house and inquire about someone who doesn't live there. Even if the residents have a dead body in a bedroom, if they come to the door and say all is well, that's the end of the welfare check.

LE now needs to do something else to get inside - and that's called probable cause. A warrant isn't strictly needed if probable cause is strong (strong odor of decomp, house is on fire).

Police do not get to come in and look for said person. If there's no answer, they'll go round the windows most places - and in many places, they'll then get a locksmith if they have reason to believe the person is injured or dead. If. they need to break down a door, they need more authority than just a neighbor's phone call. Where I live, LE will go to nearby houses while they wait for the watch commander to weigh in and, if necessary, for a warrant (judges are on call 24/7 in my county, but that's not true everywhere).

If police were to knock doors down without warrants on the pretext of a "welfare check" (an extra-legal exercise), they can find themselves unable to use. anything they find as evidence if in fact, there is foul play. Further, people would use welfare checks to harass others (would be less illegal than Swatting, which is a misuse of 911).

Thing is, the Laundries answered the door. Welfare check over.

I personally don't read The Sun for the reasons you've stated, but links have been shared here and some include exclusive interviews that provide further details related to this case. I therefore try to ferret out the pertinent information that's backed up by links or quoted statements that support what they've printed. It can be tedious, but at times useful.

Just my two cents.

Yeah, it gets messy. The bottom line, I think, is this:

"In order for the United States to obtain jurisdiction over national forest lands, "both the state and federal governments [must] agree to the transfer" of jurisdiction." Id. at 612 (quoting United States v. Johnson, 994 F.2d 980, 984 (2nd Cir.
1993))."

So basically, it looks like Wyoming has to agree to transfer jurisdiction to the US and the US has to agree to take it? I don't know. That document scrambled my brain.

It looks like the defendant in that case was arguing that the US had no jurisdiction to prosecute him and the court said either the US or the state could legally prosecute him. So, concurrent jurisdiction. At least in Michigan.

But, from reading that case, it looks like jurisdiction also depends on state law passed or not passed when the forest was established in that state in the first place. I guess we have to look to Wyoming law for that.

My opinion, which could be totally wrong. lol

I agree. I also presume, although this case does not specifically address it, that if the lands were always Federal (if that's even a thing), the Feds would be able to exercise jurisdiction. I have a feeling these are questions we won't know the answers to for a VERY long time. If ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288