Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #68

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOTS of options for looking different but if people are looking for long hair (sans a wig), it's not gonna happen in a month. Who knows how long this will go on, not much longer I hope, but he may in fact end up looking like this by the time he is (hopefully) found. MOO
i don't think people should be looking for long hair necessarily either. scissors are a buck in the dollar store or easy enough to pack in a first aid kit. I am so curious if he is ever found what he will look like.

Wait, though. Brian did not say anything. His parents said that he said this, correct ? In the law that is just hearsay.

For sleuthing purposes this means that only if we believe the parents are telling the truth can we take that statement - Brian said he was going to ….. “ at face value. I, for one, do not believe the parents are being honest so that statement means nothing to me. MOO

I agree. I also presume, although this case does not specifically address it, that if the lands were always Federal (if that's even a thing), the Feds would be able to exercise jurisdiction. I have a feeling these are questions we won't know the answers to for a VERY long time. If ever.
Looking at that first sentence again -

"In order for the United States to obtain jurisdiction over national forest lands, "both the state and federal governments [must] agree to the transfer" of jurisdiction."

"In order for the United States to obtain" says to me the US does not already have it. You don't have to "obtain" something you already have. And the state has to agree to give it to them.

I think. lol

And if Brian did call mom nand dad about mob fight, this could have been their recommendation if they concluded couple wouldn’t be married. Then Brian arrives home and then truth comes out…imo
IMO she broke with him and he flew home. He got the typical if I can't have you nobody can which we see in so many cases when the girl breaks up with the guy and he kills her. IMP he premeditated the whole thing and decided to fly back to get the job done.

Wait, though. Brian did not say anything. His parents said that he said this, correct ? In the law that is just hearsay.

But someone's front porch isn't a courtroom. And in any case the police have, there's nothing wrong with hearsay. How could anything be investigated without it? That doesn't mean anyone will testify to that hearsay info if there's an eventual court case.

When the police came to the Laundries' there seems to be a question of whether it was even a welfare check for BL. But if it was, saying he's fine, then that's it. There's no reasonable suspicion he's not fine so far as a welfare check goes or at least I don't see how there could be. As @10ofRods wrote, welfare checks can't be used a backdoor to avoid getting warrants if the investigation requires that depth of search.

JMO

I don't believe BL is a serial killer who has killed in multiple states. Yes, there is a federal murder statue that includes murders in US territory. The Sixth Amendment applies and there is a Federal Courthouse in Cheyenne. The FBI has made it very clear they have taken jurisdiction of this case. I think that jurisdictional decision is up to the State and DOJ. There won't be two separate trials of BL in Wyoming. jmo

18 U.S. Code § 1111 - Murder
(b)
Within the special maritime and territorial jurisdiction of the United States,

Whoever is guilty of murder in the first degree shall be punished by death or by imprisonment for life;

Whoever is guilty of murder in the second degree, shall be imprisoned for any term of years or for life.

18 U.S. Code § 1111 - Murder

Per the other statute, I'm not sure National Forests fall under "territorial jurisdiction." What I"m reading says that it's military bases and national parks and national monuments under the jurisdiction of the Department of the Interior.

Could it be the case that localities defer to the Feds sometimes - and sometimes not? In the Gary Hilton serial murders, those were tried locally, but I did find an example from 2020:

Renton, Washington, man charged federally with murder in Olympic National Forest

National Forest, federal prosecution. I assume the State of Washington had to waive its rights under the code I quoted earlier. I wish I knew for sure!

I wonder what Wyoming will do (given the cross-country nature of all the evidence, my thought is that it would be better tried in Federal Court, District of Wyoming - but I do believe that Teton County has to defer).

Looking at that first sentence again -

"In order for the United States to obtain jurisdiction over national forest lands, "both the state and federal governments [must] agree to the transfer" of jurisdiction."

"In order for the United States to obtain" says to me the US does not already have it. You don't have to "obtain" something you already have. And the state has to agree to give it to them.

I think. lol
I have a general question, what about tribal land? Can FBI/US gov't intrude on that jurisdiction? This is my curiosity--not anything else.

I was under the impression that we already knew about the plane ticket he used for that trip?

Also Gabby would not have liked that... she had decorated the van, it was literally full of their camping things and the things they had installed into it for their trip - it would have been pretty full to use for moving things. Not impossible to imagine but not the best use of their van. He could have rented one in FL for moving things pretty cheaply.
Okay, I must have missed the citation for the plane ticket.

But someone's front porch isn't a courtroom. And in any case the police have, there's nothing wrong with hearsay. How could anything be investigated without it? That doesn't mean anyone will testify to that hearsay info if there's an eventual court case.

When the police came to the Laundries' there seems to be a question of whether it was even a welfare check for BL. But if it was, saying he's fine, then that's it. There's no reasonable suspicion he's not fine so far as a welfare check goes or at least I don't see how there could be. As @10ofRods wrote, welfare checks can't be used a backdoor to avoid getting warrants if the investigation requires that depth of search.

JMO

Right, I get you and 10ofRods both. What just struck me is how only if we believe the parents are being honest - which I do not - would we even take that hearsay statement at face value. Just my $ .02

Surely you aren't suggesting the police say they are conducting a police welfare check when that's not true are you?

Your link above says

"Essentially, as long as they have reasonable grounds to believe that an inhabitant in a residence in endangered, they can legally enter the premises."

What reasonable grounds existed to think anyone, including Brian, was endangered inside the Laundrie home?

JMO
You are kidding?

@MyBelle brought up a reasonable issue: being scared enough to have a welfare check done.

Cheryl Bereth did it for Kelsey because she could not reach her.

Susan Watts' friend called and requested a welfare check because she absolutely could not reach Shannon.

Family members of Susan Powell asked Police to do a welfare check shortly before Josh and the boys turned up. These family members could absolutely not reach Susan.

Originally Gsbby's parents were scared that both Brian and Gabby couldn't be located. It didn't help when Laundries refuse to take their desperate calls and texts for help.

When they found out Brian was there, they were scared to death for Gabby.

No one called in a welfare check for BL. The subject LE was looking for, as per the warrant, was Gabby. The Laundries stated the subject was not there. End of. LE had no cause to demand the appearance of BL. The missing person report had nothing to do with him.

BBM. That's your opinion. We'll agree to disagree. Gabby's father has said many times, he didn't know where BL or GP were because nobody would return his calls. jmo
Gabby Petito’s father was involved in a "public service" incident report at her fiancé Brian Laundrie’s home on Sept. 10, nine days after he returned to Florida without her from a cross-country road trip and a day before she was reported missing by her mother, according to heavily redacted police reports.

Petito did not go to the home physically, North Port police said separately, but expressed concern about his daughter's whereabouts.

Missing Gabby Petito's dad linked to Laundrie home incident report evening before daughter reported missing

The protestors are no better than vigilantes. Stop harassing the parents.

Walk a mile in their shoes.

Is all big talk about turning in your kid for a capital offense to face LWOP or DP, but it is by people who have never faced this situation.

I couldn't do it. I would help my child avoid capture until my last breath - not because I wouldn't be horrified and heartbroken, but because I could not live with my child in a cage being beaten and raped for the rest of his life or in a coffin compliments of the state.

Just the truth.

If the parents helped him, it is completely understandable.

Thank you for your honesty in this post.

We can all THINK what we'd do in these circumstances but, the truth be told, we can never, ever know for sure until we're staring our loved ones in the face and have to make that heart versus head decision. Until that moment, it's just lip service.

I agree about the protestors outside the Laundrie house:
Is it not rank hypocrisy to criticise and accuse BL of being a bully and an abuser of GP, when they're outside the Laundrie house hurling abuse and bullying them!?

"Pot, kettle" springs to mind.

Surely, we can't be selective in our condemnation of violence and bullying? It can't be accepted that GP slapped BL but not accepted if BL slapped her back.

It can't be OK for JP to mock BL by calling him Brianna but then it not be OK for BL to mock GP by saying she was working on her, "little blog".

If you're against bullying, violence, cruelty and abuse, then there shouldn't be any exceptions, excuses or double standards. You have to be against it all otherwise what's the point!?

JMO/MOO etc etc

Last edited:
Right, I get you and 10ofRods both. What just struck me is how only if we believe the parents are being honest - which I do not - would we even take that hearsay statement at face value. Just my $ .02

You may not believe the parents as a WS member. But the police had no reason to disbelieve the Laundries when they knocked on the door in early Sept. They simply could not go barreling in for no reason.
JMO

No one called in a welfare check for BL. The subject LE was looking for, as per the warrant, was Gabby. The Laundries stated the subject was not there. End of. LE had no cause to demand the appearance of BL. The missing person report had nothing to do with him.
From MSM links previously provided it is my opinion that Gabby's parents set out to do that very thing, include him in the missing person, wanted a welfare check done on him and her.
They were scared and couldn't locate either of them.

But, at some point GB's mother found out the van was back, that Brian was back, then they didnt to know where Gaby was.

They filed a missing persons report and wanted law enforcement to go to Laundries home.

You may not believe the parents as a WS member. But the police had no reason to disbelieve the Laundries when they knocked on the door in early Sept. They simply could not go barreling in for no reason.
JMO

That may be. But Gabby was only missing then, not dead. The police, at that point in time, were woefully underinformed. IMO that was by design.

Sleuths create pics showing what Brian might look like a month on the run

Hi guys, have you seen these photos of what BL might look like with long hair? What do you think? Could this disguise be good enough? I still think
he would need a hat to cover his ears though.

I think he will have gotten rid of the beard and moustache, be totally clean shaven, and whilst trying to grow out his hair maybe wearing a wig or toupee that's a much lighter colour - a lighter brown or dark blonde perhaps.

He'd need to sort out those eyebrows though as they're dark and thick set so would look at odds with his new hair 'do'!

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member