Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #68

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, I wasn't kidding.

A welfare check is done when there's a reasonable suspicion a person in a particular house needs help or is dead. Not knowing where GP was doesn't lead to the reasonable suspicion she was at the Laundries. Police action was needed but not disguised as a welfare check to get around the need for warrants. Being scared isn't grounds for a warrantless welfare check if there's no reason to think the person is in a particular location.

JMO
I think you are absolutely correct.
But once LE figured out that it was Gabby's van sitting there at that same house, wouldn't that create a reason to think she might be there?

This is where I am also lost. I heard Publix, then Gabby states a juice bar in Moab, then I hear a sandwich shop. Now Taco Bell?

Okay, I tried the WS timeline but her work dates aren't in that one.

This is the best I can find right now & it isn't that helpful, not specific enough but....

Pre Florida move ( iirc, she graduated high school 2017)
- September 2017 to January 2019 Smoke on the Water
hostess and in the kitchen Gabby Petito once lived in Wilmington; friends share memories - WWAY TV
- Spring 2019 she was working at Nole bar, Patchogue
‘Sweet and angelic’ Gabby Petito glows in 2019 video at work in NOLE Café in Patchogue

Post Florida move
- Sometime 2020 GB worked taco bell ( source is Rose Davis) can't find a link with any specific dates nor any link saying 50 hours.
Gabby Petito's close friend on Brian Laundrie search: "He's good with nature. So, my first thought was — he's in the woods"
- After Taco Bell, a 'smoothie place' * ( Rose is the source again)
'Gabby, who worked last year at Taco Bell and then took a job at a smoothie place, would sometimes join Rose when she was working her job delivering pizza'
- Publix , North Point. No dates but if somebody here is registered this link might have extra details. Pharmacy tech, he's in grocery department
Community mourns Gabby Petito
Publix, North Point. Another co-worker says they were both working there by Feb 2021 but 'left a few months later' Friends of Brian Laundrie and Gabby Petito speak publicly about their relationship: 'They seem to be pretty in love'

* BL may have also worked at the same smoothie place but can't find the link for that right now. smoothie place/ juice place

Last edited:
OCT 17, 2021
North Port police pay visit to protestors outside Brian Laundrie's parents' house | Daily Mail Online

49290277-10101343-image-a-7_1634498369913.jpg
49290709-10101343-image-a-9_1634501200393.jpg

Protestors taunting the parents of Brian Laundrie - whose girlfriend was slain during a cross-country road trip - are being warned to keep their distance.

[...]

Marissa Zdazinsky (who goes by Molly Golightly on YouTube) approached the Laundrie family's home twice Sunday to leave pictures of Petito on the family's doorstep.

Police soon arrived to caution her, and instructed other protestors to stop using bullhorns to torment the couple.

[...]

@NuttMegg, remember Molly? Egads...

But someone's front porch isn't a courtroom. And in any case the police have, there's nothing wrong with hearsay. How could anything be investigated without it? That doesn't mean anyone will testify to that hearsay info if there's an eventual court case.

When the police came to the Laundries' there seems to be a question of whether it was even a welfare check for BL. But if it was, saying he's fine, then that's it. There's no reasonable suspicion he's not fine so far as a welfare check goes or at least I don't see how there could be. As @10ofRods wrote, welfare checks can't be used a backdoor to avoid getting warrants if the investigation requires that depth of search.

JMO
When our police do a welfare check, they do ask to see the person. On Sept. 11, when LE went to the Laundrie home, they did ask to speak to BL and his family and were handed the attorney's business card. I'm sure we'll hear testimony from those officers at trial as to who handed them the attorney's card. There was no arrest warrant at that point in time but I'm betting the attorney's card triggered that rush to the grand jury indictment. JMO

Timeline of events since Gabby Petito's fiancé returned to Florida becomes clearer

Federal arrest warrant issued for Brian Laundrie in Gabby Petito investigation

This is almost off-topic but when the Bundy Ranch sovereign citizens took over Malheur Bird Sanctuary in Oregon a few years back, they were eventually tried in federal court. Same thing for the Bundy family in Arizona because they were grazing their cattle on federal land managed by the Bureau of Land Management.

It's really simple in my opinion - federal land is managed by the federal government, end of story. While some local jurisdiction may apply, GP was killed on federal land in a National Forest. So I believe the Feds will be in charge. JMOO

I believe the Bundy's were charged with Federal crimes, which plainly puts them in Federal court. Here the problem with any potential murder charge is that there is both a federal and state statute for murder and, thus, arguably competing jurisdiction. From what I have found, it's not at all simple unless the state and the feds agree on jurisdiction and the defendant doesn't appeal on that basis. jmo

I've been dying to find out that information.
What I don't understand is that if the L's planned to sell the condo after G&B went off on their trip, why didn't they clear out their stuff at the time? Were they really planning to have BL fly back at his expense to move the stuff mid-van trip? If they had room for it at their house in August, they had room for it in June. Also, if it was just stuff in the storage locker at the condo, I think CL was perfectly capable of moving it or hiring someone to move it at very little expense compared to a round trip air ticket, and a week's stay at the Fairfield in SLC. According to the lawyer, paid for by Gabby and Brian. If it was more than just storage locker stuff, but basically, everything else in the condo, then their charming lawyer lied, once again. It wasn't to save money, unless B&G were actually paying the parents to store their belongings at the condo. Poor planning on everyone's part. Conclusion? It was a handy excuse for Brian to abort his van trip. So after spending all that money saved up for the trip, he proceeds to go back and kill her, and steal the rest of the money and the van. Meanwhile, where are Gabby's belongings? jmo

Last edited:
When our police do a welfare check, they do ask to see the person. On Sept. 11, when LE went to the Laundrie home, they did ask to speak to BL and his family and were handed the attorney's business card. I'm sure we'll hear testimony from those officers at trial as to who handed them the attorney's card. There was no arrest warrant at that point in time but I'm betting the attorney's card triggered that rush to the grand jury indictment. JMO

Timeline of events since Gabby Petito's fiancé returned to Florida becomes clearer

Could I ask, do you know if it would it be usual for Police to go to the known place of residence in the first instance to carry out the welfare check?
Is that automatically the first place they would check, even if they had been informed the person/s were last known to be elsewhere?

Would a welfare check by LE automatically be carried out at the last known residence? ....even though, as far as Gabby's family were aware, they were several states away on their road trip?

Do we know, did JP not go to the Laundrie's house at all or just not go on the 10th?
He lives in the same state so you'd think he would pop over in the car and knock if he couldn't get an answer by calling and texting but he called the police.
So I wonder did something happen or did he find out something particularly concerning in those days 9/10/11th just before getting the police involved?
IIRC I've read the Laundries made couple of police calls around 9/10th.

MOO
At the time the missing person report was filed, all the police knew was that GP and BL were touring/vacationing in the WY and/or Yosemite area and that GP, BL and BL's parents were not responding to texts/calls.

I think the police would naturally check the Laundrie residence because for all they knew something happened to them, too. imo

Taking a look back here, I'm still curious as to why the bodycam video from Ranger Melissa Hulls hasn't been released. Could it be that something said by either Gabby or the Ranger was such a red flag that it would open the National Park Service to some sort of civil suit?
It's being held by as it's part of the ongoing investigation.
Found Deceased - WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #45
Just to fill you in: Melissa Hulls is a Park Ranger, and the Park Service has at this time denied an FOI for her body cam. There are links in the thread about this if you search “hulls” in the search bar! She does have body cam footage but it isn’t released yet and is separate from Moab PD.

Taking a look back here, I'm still curious as to why the bodycam video from Ranger Melissa Hulls hasn't been released. Could it be that something said by either Gabby or the Ranger was such a red flag that it would open the National Park Service to some sort of civil suit?
No, I think it is evidence and that is why it hasn't been released. The Ranger told the media she told Gabby it sounded like a toxic relationship. I think what Gabby told her about BL treatment of her will be used at trial. JMO

As protestors continue to harass the Laundrie family, the clan's patriarch was seen over the weekend clearing out parts of a tribute to Petito erected on his lawn.

It includes flowers, pumpkins, and an enlarged photo of the smiling woman captioned: ‘remembered me?’

A neon yellow sign appeared to trigger Chris Laundrie, who marched across his lawn Saturday to remove it, according to the New York Post.
49290709-10101343-A_Northport_police_officer_is_seen_speaking_with_Zdazinsky_as_sh-a-103_1634508314527.jpg

A Northport police officer is seen speaking with Zdazinsky as she protests outside the home

49290275-10101343-Protestors_are_working_to_keep_up_a_tribute_to_Gabby_Petito_on_t-a-105_1634508314857.jpg

North Port police pay visit to protestors outside Brian Laundrie's parents' house | Daily Mail Online
Chris-Laundrie-1.jpg

Chris Laundrie comes out of his house to remove a sign from the memorial on his front lawn
https://trib.al/omAEiBx

They didn't presume they were at the Laundrie residence. They were just trying to find out if the Laundries had heard from either GP or BL. JMO
Exactly. People keep forgetting that Gabby's family thought both kids were missing, they never suspected that they weren't together. The L's KNEW that Brian wasn't missing and was home. That in itself told me all we need to know about them. All they had to do was say Brian's home but we don't know what happened, he's not communicating with us - they didn't because they do know what happened. Why would they need to hire an attorney along with their son?? They haven't been charged with anything. JMO

I think I misspoke/communicates poorly what I meant. I was referring to how his “friend” spoke of him, it seems odd to me that he seemed to think it was a “normal” expectation of BL to do something illegal. My thought is that most of us probably wouldn’t say this about our own friends, but what type of people would? Hmm IMO-those who find the actions more acceptable and maybe someone who may be more inclined to look the other way or possibly even help that same friend? Just a wondering thought I had while reading it is all. I wonder if he has talked to the FBI & how long it took him to speak of this at all.
bbm
Agreed with your entire post, thanks for clarifying !
Just my opinion : At this time, many people esp. BL's friends and acquaintances must know what we know about this case.
A friend from school days or later will know BL better than any of us will.
Again this is me thinking out loud ... we know so little about BL's past that I wonder if he had issues with other girls/women and they overlooked it or thought he'd grow out of it ?

The main question about BL's past is if there was ever a pattern of being assisted via "damage control", out of difficult situations ?
Not murder, of course.
Imo Gabby's death was not preceded by others.
But domestic violence or threats to anyone ?
And BL was helped and thus the actions were overlooked and no one the wiser ?

So here we are now with a wanted fugitive and no answers.
There are other ideas worth considering but I'd like to hear a bit more from LE.
MOO.

Last edited:
No, I think it is evidence and that is why it hasn't been released. The Ranger told the media she told Gabby it sounded like a toxic relationship. I think what Gabby told her about BL treatment of her will be used at trial. JMO

So you think she wasn't afraid (of Brian) to tell the park ranger the truth?

At the time the missing person report was filed, all the police knew was that GP and BL were touring/vacationing in the WY and/or Yosemite area and that GP, BL and BL's parents were not responding to texts/calls.

I think the police would naturally check the Laundrie residence because for all they knew something happened to them, too. imo
Or it could have just been a simple matter of "have you heard from your son or Gabby, Gabby's parents are worried because she's not answering her phone".

I think you are absolutely correct.
But once LE figured out that it was Gabby's van sitting there at that same house, wouldn't that create a reason to think she might be there?

The police can ask. But if the person answering the door doesn't produce the person, I don't believe anything can be done under the guise of a welfare check without more info and different info than existed here. A welfare check can't be turned into a warrantless search. And what many people here seem to want wasn't for LE to make sure BL was ok. They seem to want BL to have been required to answer questions from LE that day. And that wasn't going to happen.
JMO

I've been asking this for weeks. This has rung vitally important to my... intuition (?) for weeks.
Probably because of this:

"Police in Moab, Utah, said Thursday they are launching an internal investigation into their handling of an Aug. 12 incident involving Gabby Petito, the young woman whose remains were found in Wyoming earlier this week, and her fiance Brian Laundrie, who hasn't been seen since mid-September."

Utah Police Launch Internal Probe Into Handling of Gabby Petito, Brian Laundrie Incident

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melladanielle