KY KY - Brookelyn Farthing, 18, Berea, 22 Jun 2013

I don't think he put her in the reservoir; the water there is very clear in the shallows (I used to fish there a lot), and the lake is very heavily utilized by boaters and fishermen in the local community (which is why I don't fish it anymore, it's overfished). She would have been found the next morning if placed there.

Cant believe after all this time and how obvious what happened was that the police botched this so bad and this guy has been able to be free and Brookelyn basically forgotten

Although I am not inferring anything, it is interesting to search on his last name -- seems there are at least a couple of potential conflicts of interest in local and state LE. Also, looking for details of his record on the state site (which shows up on the DDG name search) 'kool' there is no entry for him -- looks like there WAS a record, but none now.

Although I am not inferring anything, it is interesting to search on his last name -- seems there are at least a couple of potential conflicts of interest in local and state LE. Also, looking for details of his record on the state site (which shows up on the DDG name search) 'kool' there is no entry for him -- looks like there WAS a record, but none now.

His surname is fairly common in the south.....there may be no conflict here.

His surname is fairly common in the south.....there may be no conflict here.

Do you happen to know which (either by name, street address or GPS location) cell tower her last contact was through?
Or, any idea who would have that?

Do you happen to know which (either by name, street address or GPS location) cell tower her last contact was through?
Or, any idea who would have that?

I seem to recall that the last ping was off the cell tower out on Blue Lick Road. That tower is about 3000 feet south of the intersection of Blue Lick Road and Johnson Road.

Edited to add: Go to Google Earth, and look at the area bounded by Highway 21 on the north, Highway 421 on the east, and Burnt Ridge Road on the south. In "globe view" mode, you can see a lot of detail, and see how rugged and thickly wooded that area is. Those two lakes you see are in a holler called Cowbell Hollow. That whole patch of woods is owned by Berea College, and is closed to the general public....no access. This is only speculation, but I've always suspected that he disposed of her remains somewhere in there. The chances of someone (hunter, hiker) finding remains accidentally there are extremely remote, given that there is no public access. But a local boy would know where to hide something there.

Also--and this hasn't been brought up anywhere, as far as I know--just below the summits of hills in that area (particularly along highway 421), there is a limestone formation that is chock full of deep, narrow shafts that are open at the top, but hard to see....if you hike in that area, you have to be careful to avoid falling into one. If a body were dropped down into one of those, it would never be found. I've though about going there to peer into those shafts that I could find, but I'd have to trespass to do it.....

Last edited:
I seem to recall that the last ping was off the cell tower out on Blue Lick Road. That tower is about 3000 feet south of the intersection of Blue Lick Road and Johnson Road.

Edited to add: Go to Google Earth, and look at the area bounded by Highway 21 on the north, Highway 421 on the east, and Burnt Ridge Road on the south. In "globe view" mode, you can see a lot of detail, and see how rugged and thickly wooded that area is. Those two lakes you see are in a holler called Cowbell Hollow. That whole patch of woods is owned by Berea College, and is closed to the general public....no access. This is only speculation, but I've always suspected that he disposed of her remains somewhere in there. The chances of someone (hunter, hiker) finding remains accidentally there are extremely remote, given that there is no public access. But a local boy would know where to hide something there.

Also--and this hasn't been brought up anywhere, as far as I know--just below the summits of hills in that area (particularly along highway 421), there is a limestone formation that is chock full of deep, narrow shafts that are open at the top, but hard to see....if you hike in that area, you have to be careful to avoid falling into one. If a body were dropped down into one of those, it would never be found. I've though about going there to peer into those shafts that I could find, but I'd have to trespass to do it.....

Thanks very much.

Are you aware of anyone who is keeping track of which areas have been searched (either on foot, by drone or 'other')? And did you mean to imply that Berea College was not cooperating with searches? I could understand why they would not want the public meandering around (liability, red tape for them, etc.) but have they refused LE and/or qualified drone searchers?

Thanks very much.

Are you aware of anyone who is keeping track of which areas have been searched (either on foot, by drone or 'other')? And did you mean to imply that Berea College was not cooperating with searches? I could understand why they would not want the public meandering around (liability, red tape for them, etc.) but have they refused LE and/or qualified drone searchers?

I don't know who might be keeping track of these things. And I don't mean to imply that BC isn't co-operating; if the local police asked them to allow them to search the area, I'm certain the college would allow it. I just mean that the area isn't open to general public access. Organized groups (especially if connected to the college) are sometimes allowed in, but permission must be secured beforehand. People do sneak in occasionally, of course.

I have not heard of that area being searched. If it was, there wasn't much publicity about it. But I haven't lived there since 1987, so I'm not aware of everything that happens there now.

I don't know who might be keeping track of these things. And I don't mean to imply that BC isn't co-operating; if the local police asked them to allow them to search the area, I'm certain the college would allow it. I just mean that the area isn't open to general public access. Organized groups (especially if connected to the college) are sometimes allowed in, but permission must be secured beforehand. People do sneak in occasionally, of course.

I have not heard of that area being searched. If it was, there wasn't much publicity about it. But I haven't lived there since 1987, so I'm not aware of everything that happens there now.

Wondering if ANYONE has heard any followup to this:

3 Berea men, including professor, charged with child *advertiser censored*-related crimes - ABC 36 News (wtvq.com)

Did LE make ANY effort on behalf of Brookelyn since they had JH in custody?

(PS: At least one other with JH last name are associated with Berea College.)

IMO a few other people dropped in at the house and they were engaging in activity that Brooke didn't like. I think that scared her. As far as why she didn't go across the street for help...she may have felt that afraid as in nervous but never actually felt in fear of her life. I grew up here and I could see her thinking, well, I don't want to bother them across the street; I'm probably overreacting. And then it was too late.

I agree with this because she also never called her parents either, something that I know if I was in her shoes and I was in severe danger I’d be calling them or 911. Seems as if it was more of a sketchy situation than outright fear. I know it’s been awhile since this post but I couldn’t help but bring it forward in hopes we can all start brainstorming what would cause her to feel scared but not in fear enough to ask the neighbors for help or call her mom?

I listened to a podcast on this case and murder was not my first thought. Here's the scenario that came to my mind. BF went to this guys house. No electricity and no water in the wee hours of the morning doesn't sound like a party place so I don't think anyone else came to visit after the other guy left. She doesn't know the owner very well, it's pitch dark inside and out, no wonder she's scared. Sensing this, the guy goes outside to mess with his horses so she'll feel more comfortable, passing time until her ex shows up to take her home. Alone in a dark spooky house, possibly a little drunk from the party, BF starts chain smoking and in the dark, drops her cigarette and sets the couch on fire. (I actually did this in my husband's house before we were married.) In a panic she runs off for fear of the guy going ballistic on her, calling the police, her parents. She's scared she'll be in trouble with the law and everyone; decides to lay low for a few days. It's still dark however and she runs into those thick woods where she loses her phone and maybe has an accident. Breaks a leg or gets bitten by a snake and can't get help. The podcast said that wooded area is full of copperheads and rattlesnakes. I just find it hard to believe that LE and K9's couldn't find ANY evidence in the house or on the property. Maybe this is far fetched and I do like a good reach but stranger things have happened.

I doubt the ex was involved as he was still at work when this happened. In my opinion also the ex wouldn’t have stayed at this house either as he likely was exhausted from work and also some other reasons that I can’t bring forward due to TOS and no MSM to back up my thoughts.

Reactions: ?!?
I doubt the ex was involved as he was still at work when this happened. In my opinion also the ex wouldn’t have stayed at this house either as he likely was exhausted from work and also some other reasons that I can’t bring forward due to TOS and no MSM to back up my thoughts.

Brainstorming? How about the shoes by the door indicate either she was being carried out or was fleeing...being chased.

Sad situation as another year is almost here And unfortunately there is not enough evidence to pursue the most likely culprit. After listening to the podcasts, I agree with the local people as to who is responsible. Too many coincidences ie the couch burning etc. etc. for my liking. Can’t say more without breaking TOS.

In the early hours of June 22nd, 2013, Brookelyn, Josh Hensley, and an unidentified male stop to look at horses before dropping the unidentified male off at his house. Brookelyn and Hensley return to Hensley’s home. At this time, Hensley’s home was in foreclosure and had no running water or electricity. At approximately 4 am, Brookelyn calls Paige to ask if their cousin could pick her up. Unfortunately, their cousin had been drinking and was unable to pick her up. At this point, Brookelyn was ready to go home, she called her ex-boyfriend and made plans for him to pick her up on his way home from work around 7 am. A short time later, Brookelyn texts her ex-boyfriend again: “can you hurry”, “Please hurry” and “I’m scared”. Approximately an hour later, Brookelyn’s ex-boyfriend gets another text from her that says “never mind. I’m okay. I’m going to a party in Rockcastle county.” This text would become Brookelyn’s last communication with her loved ones. At 7 am that same morning, Josh Hensley arrives back home after checking on some horses. Upon his arrival, Josh calls the fire department to report a fire inside his home. Hensley claims that Brookelyn was still inside the home when the fire started.

Later that same day, Brookelyn made plans with friends to attend a car show in Somerset, KY at 2 pm, however, she never showed up. Brookelyn’s oldest sister, Tasha Thomas calls Hensley who tells her that Brookelyn got a ride home after the party and felt uncomfortable with her there but had to leave to put the horses away. Hensley also told Tasha Thomas that no one picked her up, but heard her mention a party in Rockcastle County. Josh calls Tasha Thomas again and tells her he is scared and that when he returned home his house was on fire and believed it was because of the cigarette that Brookelyn was smoking on his couch.

The next day, on June 23rd, 2013, Brookelyn’s mother filed a missing persons report. Brookelyn’s family went to Hensley’s home to search for her and found personal items on his front porch including her shoes. Brookelyn’s clothing and cell phone were not accounted for. Two days later on June 25th, 2013, Brookelyn’s phone pings off a tower in Blue Lick for the last time ever. Josh Hensley would later be arrested on possession of child sexual abuse material on August 5th, 2020. Currently, Brookelyn Farthing’s case is still unsolved, if you have any information Kentucky State Police at (859) 623-2404.
More at link:

Also--and this hasn't been brought up anywhere, as far as I know--just below the summits of hills in that area (particularly along highway 421), there is a limestone formation that is chock full of deep, narrow shafts that are open at the top, but hard to see....if you hike in that area, you have to be careful to avoid falling into one. If a body were dropped down into one of those, it would never be found. I've though about going there to peer into those shafts that I could find, but I'd have to trespass to do it. Thank you for this very useful info. I should have read this before

I am certain that, if her remains are ever found, they will be in, or near to, that area I described in post #326.
Thank you for this useful information. I should have read it before. I’ll definitely check in on that.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back