Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #69

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the trouble, the couple was comped a one night stay. Only one night?! For that, they should have gotten a week. What an awful experience for that man!

However, it is interesting to hear about the work behind the scenes in the pursuit of capturing BL.
The story might have much higher value than more overnights.
a) long distance hikers like to keep going and not stall in one place because it can get too comfy. On the AT, it's the gateway to the Smokies. Hikers want to press forward.
b) what would they DO in Fontana? There's nothing there unless you own a speedboat IIRC. I, for one, hated it.
c) Stories from long-distance hikers have very high value. They can get you lodging, meals, rides..... That hiker and his partner will get lavished with helpfulness their entire trip!

Looking closer at the question:
When did BL's parents find out that GP was dead?

There are a number of events that happened which should have led BL's parents to question what was going on, and IMO, their actions show that they knew more about the circumstances than anyone else.

AUG 31
ACTION: RL cancels camping reservations for two people for Sep 1-3

(Did they know BL was on his way back from WY?)

SEP 1 (10:26AM) - BL arrives in North Port with the van, without GP
They knew GP was no longer with BL and the van.

SEP 4

ACTION: RL buys BL a new phone
They knew BL's prior phone was gone/missing/discarded.

SEP 6-8

ACTION: Family camping trip
(Were they trying to avoid being in an area with cell service so they would have an excuse for not answering the Petitos' calls?)

SEP 10 - They receive calls/texts from GP's family
ACTION: They do not respond to the calls

They knew GP's family was looking for her.
(Did they know by then that there was not an "innocent" explanation for GP's disappearance and that things they said could get BL into trouble?)

SEP 11 - LE, looking for GP, seize the van from their home
ACTION: They (at some point prior to this) have hired a lawyer and have his info at the ready.
They knew that LE was looking for GP and wanted to question BL.
(Did they know by then that there was not an "innocent" explanation for GP's disappearance and that things they said could get BL into trouble?)

SEP 13 - BL leaves home (according to his parents); attorney also claims (on 9/28) that this is the last time he spoke with him (source)
ACTION: They do not report him missing immediately, despite reportedly searching for him for "hours" at the Reserve
They knew that BL was "missing"

SEP 14 - Mustang ticketed at Reserve
STATEMENT:
“This is understandably an extremely difficult time for both the Petito family and the Laundrie family. It is our understanding that a search has been organized for Miss Petito in or near Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming. On behalf of the Laundrie family it is our hope that the search for Miss Petito is successful and that Miss Petito is reunited with her family. On the advice of counsel, the Laundrie family is remaining in the background at this juncture and will have no further comment.” Source

SEP 15 - BL named person of interest
STATEMENT:
“In my experience, intimate partners are often the first person law enforcement focuses their attention on in cases like this and the warning that 'any statement made will be used against you' is true, regardless of whether my client had anything to do with Ms. Petito's disappearance. As such, on the advice of counsel, Mr. Laundrie is not speaking on this matter. This formality has not really changed the circumstances of Mr. Laundrie being the focus and attention of law enforcement and Mr. Laundrie will continue to remain silent on the advice of counsel," Source
(Noting here that, according to his own claims, BL's attorney had not actually spoken to BL in two days and would not report him missing for an additional two, despite BL now being declared a person of interest)

SEP 16

ACTION: Remove Mustang from the Reserve

SEP 17

ACTION: BL reported missing (by attorney)
(Why now? Could it be because this was the first day that "Spread Creek" was mentioned in the news (source)? Could his parents have known what LE would find there and needed to declare BL missing before that news broke and he was officially declared a suspect, so that they couldn't be charged with aiding a fugitive from justice?)

SEP 18 - Bethunes post the video of the van filmed at Spread Creek

SEP 19 - GP's body found
STATEMENT:
“The news about Gabby Petito is heartbreaking. The Laundrie family prays for Gabby and her family.” Source
This is the point at which everyone knew GP was dead.
(But how long had they known before this?)
If I may add one more oddity: Although they weren't sure WHICH weekend, the Laundrie's neighbors reported on news camera that the white camper top showed up in early September and they saw the Laundries packing it. I personally think that is odd timing for that purchase if their camping trip was originally scheduled for Sept 1-3 (the reservation RL cancelled 8/31). They didn't need the white camper top for their original plans, but they did need it for the Sept 6-8 trip?

I've mentioned this a few times here: I hope LE has checked to see whether that white camper top was purchased alone or whether it was purchased from a private owner atop a vehicle that was hidden after purchase and is now being driven by BL (perhaps with former owner's registered license plates on it). Alternatively, if there was such a vehicle, it could easily be traded for another, using the signed off title from the previous owner and giving a false name and address as buyer.

I was assuming she talked to Rose; or, at least, the last person she had talked to in her call history.

I think at this point we almost have to decide/accept that the very last thing on Gabby's mind was ratting out Brian to her family on any abusive tendencies; thus they'd probably be the last people she called.

Rose has spilled the beans on a lot....she would for sure give us a blow by blow of that conversation. Maybe Stan???

Right! It's been bugging me too, and if it wasn't her mum or dad, who did she talk to?

I agree this is confusing to me too. I had thought maybe she called a friend...but if so at least it wasn't Rose because she stated

“I’m a little upset she didn’t just call me after that fight, because she would have before,” Davis said.

Gabby Petito's best friend claims Brian Laundrie was jealous and controlling | Daily Mail Online

I suppose she could have called family and just not told them the whole story, or possibly the family has just been asked by law enforcement to not speak about it? JMO

EDIT - fixed link, I had the wrong one.

Right! It's been bugging me too, and if it wasn't her mum or dad, who did she talk to?

It was a parent according to the officer
It's in the bodycams transcript

ETA
Officer 2: (44:32)
She’s got her cellphone. She’s calling her parents, just to feel better. She doesn’t want to not be with him tonight.
Gabby Petito & Brian Laundrie Utah Bodycam Footage Transcript Before Disappearance

( Joe Petito was on dr Phil & said he hadn't known about the MOAB stop)

Yes but yours is a better transcript!

BTW re the answer which includes ' mountains' - the reaction to the MOAB cam, don't you think that's an interesting reaction?
I did find it a very strange response. In what world is a couple getting into physical altercations "normal" behaviour?!

"I think Brian Laundrie is in his house. When the FBI went in they didn’t go in with dogs. I think he was either not there at the 'moment' or in a crawlspace. I literally think he’s in there," she wrote Sunday.
Brian Laundrie Update: Gabby Petito's Fiancé Hiding Inside Home 'Crawlspace,' Actress Claims

"He sounds like he's going out there trying to dig around for information that could, at times, sabotage what law enforcement is doing," Matthew Young, a former FBI special agent of 20 years, told The New York Post.
Dog the Bounty Hunter could "sabotage" Brian Laundrie search—ex FBI agent
*Good morning. Do you believe in luck? I think we make our own luck - let’s hope the FBI makes their own today. Hard work pays off…

That kind of Florida house does not have a crawlspace. These houses are built on a concrete slab. There is no place to hide, except in the attic which isn't really an attic, it's just a small space under the trusses that is filled with insulation, a/c duct work, etc. It's also SUPER hot up there and it's not a place a person could tolerate for long.

I was planning to crawl/climb through my "attic" to pull some security camera cables to various points around my house, and we decided to take off the soffit instead and run the cables around under the soffit and then replace the soffit. The reason this was easier is because there is not much space to crawl through. The most space is at the peak, but because of all the beams crossing over, you have to climb on the cross beams as if you are on a jungle gym with only a few feet of space for your body. And, did I mention that it's hella hot and filled with insulation?

ETA: Not only that, but you don't want to put your weight on the "floor" of the attic space because your foot will go through the ceiling of the rooms below.

ETA (2): The best place to hide would be in the attic space over the garage where the pull down access stairs are because there isn't insulation there. But, it's still hot, and your feet will still go through the garage ceiling if you are not careful.

I'm not sure what he's alluding to. That they think he's dead? That is certainly my theory.

Here's the thing: I just can't get over the colossal level of stupid involved here. (In my opinion...) It looks like Brian Laundrie killed his girlfriend on Aug 27. It appears he ran away and then hitchhiked back on Aug 29. The van is parked in the same spot for some 4 days. He leaves her body across the creek from where the van was parked for 4 days, and decides to simply drive home in her van and pretend like nothing happened. I mean, it should be blindingly obvious to anyone who finds oneself in this situation that you do one of two things:

1. Hide her body where nobody will ever find it.

-or-

2. Contact the authorities and explain it was an "accident" or whatever.

Laundrie did neither of these two things and instead did things that are inexplicable. The only logical conclusion I can reach is that he was not in his right mind. He had a van at his disposal and could transport her body practically anywhere. Instead he leaves her near where the van was parked for 4 days. Then he simply drives home to his parents. He visits with his sister. Then he disappears. It really looks to me like in his mind he was seeing them for one last time.

Then we have the really strange thing that CL said. Regarding Brian's flight home, she said something like, "that is what he does when..." and the cut herself off and said that was for the authorities. Hopefully somebody can provide a citation on this.

Anyway, we are not allowed to discuss mental illnesses but there is clearly something going on here in my view.

I agree, and no, we can't discuss. But there are states of mind other than "pretending" that nothing is wrong that can be involved here. I think we can discuss his state of mind or our theories about it, just not in terms of mental illness.

BL stops by his sister's house before going home, IIRC. He loved those little kids. He gets to spend a bit more time with his family - he's probably surprised and I'm guessing that his mental state improved a little once he was on familiar territory. Successful suicides often take a bit of planning. By that, I mean that certain states of mind are too irrational and disorganized for a successful attempt - although adding in alligators is a total wild card.

I do wonder if the authorities have found forensic evidence of him in that preserve. I also believe that several neighbors have cameras and that surely NPPD has gotten what they could from the night of the 13th (and that people who looked at their clips for the 14th probably also checked immediately adjacent clips). I still wonder about that apparent gun case seen in the Mustang search warrant video.

I agree this is confusing to me too. I had thought maybe she called a friend...but if so at least it wasn't Rose because she stated

“I’m a little upset she didn’t just call me after that fight, because she would have before,” Davis said.

Brian Laundrie was controlling, had 'episodes': Gabby Petito pal

I suppose she could have called family and just not told them the whole story, or possibly the family has just been asked by law enforcement to not speak about it? JMO

Could Stan be a new friend she met? Or an old friend from before. Then Brian saw messages from a Stan, real name or not, he then send a message from Gabby's phone: TELL Stan I am getting his voice mails.

ETA
She’s got her cellphone. She’s calling her parents, just to feel better. She doesn’t want to not be with him tonight.
Gabby Petito & Brian Laundrie Utah Bodycam Footage Transcript Before Disappearance

I just watched the 60 minutes and they were talking to her Mom about that stop - she said she wished she could have saved her... I get the impression she did not call her parents, but rather a friend during that stop. I feel like her mom would have said that she spoke with her. MOO

And yet neither parent has mentioned she called them. When asked about the MOAB video they've all said they had no clue.

It could have been Brian's Mother. It's not uncommon for people to call their future in-laws Mom and Dad.

This could be - at the very least it would explain why we haven't heard who she talked to since we haven't heard anything at all from the Ls! Maybe she had some reason to believe RL would be have better advice in this situation...MOO

Last edited:
Happy Monday, folks! :p

I was wondering what people's thoughts are on the likelihood of the Laundries being in communication with BL?

It's feasible to think that they may have helped him flee to wherever it is that he's gone, but is it at all possible that they can have been communicating with him all this time?

Personally, I just can't see how! There's no 'base' that I can think of that LE won't have covered in terms of shadowing them, monitoring electronic communication and/or having the house bugged.

Is there a way I'm missing that they could still somehow be communicating with BL, or getting messages to and from him despite being under intense scrutiny right under the nose of the Feds!?

MOO

Indeed. Good call!

If the Laundries were communicating with SB via email or telephone from their home, could LE monitor that?

I assume that there is some kind of law or legislation in place that would allow a conversation with a lawyer to be private and confidential?

If so, maybe they're taking advantage of that?

Additionally, could there ever be a scenario whereby LE monitor SB's communication, or again, would he be protected with him being a lawyer under client/lawyer confidentiality?

Apologies if these are stupid questions, I don't know how the law would work in a scenario like this.

MOO
Apparently, many think that BL acquired a burner phone and is in touch with his parents.

I disagree with that. I don't think they are in touch at all, and I am about 80/20 of the opinion that BL doesn't have a phone at all. If he's alive, he's staying off the grid.

Also, while I am not a big fan of the Laundries by any stretch, I don't have any reason to believe that they have done anything illegal. I think they may have given him some money and/or some food, maybe even a ride out of town or wherever. (Remember, he went into hiding before any charges were filed.) I honestly don't think they know where he is. I'm probably of the minority opinion here, but I am OK with that. JMHO

ETA

Gabby could have told them that because she did not want Brian to know who she really called? Pure speculation. But, trying to figure out the truth.

I do think at least a portion of the protesters at the L house are doing it for their own publicity. The loudest and most vocal of the ‘regulars’ is building a YouTube channel, using mostly videos of her taken at the scene. LE has warned her and others to stay away from the house (because they were walking up to the door) and to stop using bullhorns.

North Port police pay visit to protestors outside Brian Laundrie's parents' house | Daily Mail Online

I’m certainly glad that I’m not a neighbor who is forced to listen to them.

jmo

Personally, I just can't see how! There's no 'base' that I can think of that LE won't have covered in terms of shadowing them, monitoring electronic communication and/or having the house bugged.

Is there a way I'm missing that they could still somehow be communicating with BL, or getting messages to and from him despite being under intense scrutiny right under the nose of the Feds!?
Snipped for focus
Prepaid card in a PBJ sandwich?
Messages in a gum wrapper?
Given that a nondescript couple were arrested for spying this week and trying to sell nuclear submarine secrets to a foreign power, I can see anything is possible. The fact that the nondescript couple didn't realize their foreign "handler" was an FBI agent, is a side issue. But yep, PB sandwich and gum wrapper. You can't make this stuff up.
Their arrogance is mindblowing. Fascinating profile, but that's off topic.
Here's an article: Navy nuclear engineer and wife arrested for trying to sell submarine secrets to foreign power
So, yes, cloak and dagger can be done.... theoretically..... no telling if your handler is an FBI agent lol.

I did find it a very strange response. In what world is a couple getting into physical altercations "normal" behaviour?!

which is why - pure speculation on my part - I just assumed Nicole didn't tell Joe about MOAB LE stop. I assumed Gabby told mum not to tell Dad as he would have hit the roof? And Gabby maybe also minimised what had happened to her mum?

Think this is the dr Phil clip where Phil asks Joe did he know about MOAB ( as well as Joe describing what he & Gabby had discussed when she was in that hotel room)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woohoo3