Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #69

Status
Not open for further replies.
You left out the most likely reason her body is where it was and not down a crevice somewhere out of the way. MOO it wasn't planned out. It happened there or very near that spot. He panicked and ran away from the creek and the van, and didn't come back until a day or two later to get the van before he drove home.
Were you suggesting that Gabby was found next to where the van had been parked, or was the MOO extended to that also? I recall Gabby's father said it was a five or ten minute walk from that parking site to her body. I don't think anyone could have found her without hiking quite a bit off that dirt road.

half of the WS comments suggest that BL is introverted, odd, manipulative, unfriendly, etc. And yet people also seem to think that he would be able to sidle up to a community and integrate right into it without causing any alarm, MO. If BL is really as temperamental and odd as is thought, he cannot just slip into a community for any amount of time without being lazy or entitled or temperamental or angry and alienating people. MOO.
Can't get into the mental health aspects too much, but IMO, people like BL are easily able to fit in for a time. What is behind the mask will eventually slip out. But not immediately. Look how he charmed LE at the Moab stop. People like BL are chameleons: simmering underneath but can put on a good show. But the show eventually deteriorates. MOO.

I don't think any responsible target shooter would discharge a firearm that close to a campground, especially one that is in direct line of sight. A stray shot or ricochet could cost those target shooters thousands of dollars in legal fees and their right to ever own a firearm. A responsible shooter would choose a much better place to shoot. All MOO.

You can see the holes in the logs. And I've seen people do it near there - and when I read the rules, I realized. it meets all the rules.

The NF webpage says, "TARGET PRACTICE IS WELCOME" and then tells how to do it in just such a spot, Arrows too.

I've already posted the instructions on how to do it - and you can see bullet holes in the downed trees...it's legal and people do it.

A backpack would be a good container for him to fill it with rocks to weigh his body down in the murky, gator-infested waters. With a waist/hip strap and a sternum strap it wouldn't come off for a LONG time. Just MOO.
I don't see him killing himself. MOO While I think at this point the odds of him possibly being deceased are increasing, if he is deceased, I am more inclined to think it was due to an accident or an environmental hazard (some form of wildlife or dehydration, etc.). JMO

Last edited:
I don't think any responsible target shooter would discharge a firearm that close to a campground, especially one that is in direct line of sight. A stray shot or ricochet could cost those target shooters thousands of dollars in legal fees and their right to ever own a firearm. A responsible shooter would choose a much better place to shoot. All MOO.
That's why I'd like to find the link that it's legal. I can't see this either. MOO

https://twitter.com/brianentin/status/1450272086958739457?s=21

“I would love to just face to face ask why are you doing this. Just tell me the truth.” Gabby Petito’s mother says regarding Brian Laundrie’s parents.
Here is our report tonight – including private investigator Jason Jensen who believes Laundrie is along the Appalachian Trail.

Her mom/dad had to have known about it because it was noted on her uncle's list that came out before we knew anything about the traffic stop.
What uncle list? Do you have a link? This is the first time I've heard about an uncle being involved, but I didn't start following the case until after the bodycam videos were released. I missed a lot in the early days so I appreciate you bringing this up!

ETA: Just saw another post showing the note. Thanks!

Is it possible they knew about the DV stop through LE running Gabby's name when she was reported missing? Maybe Gabby truly didn't tell her family about it and they found out from investigators.

Last edited:
Were you suggesting that Gabby was found next to where the van had been parked, or was the MOO extended to that also? I recall Gabby's father said it was a five or ten minute walk from that parking site to her body. I don't think anyone could have found her without hiking quite a bit off that dirt road.
Yes. IMO, you are correct. She was across the creek. This was confirmed by Jim Schmidt in the Dr. Phil interview. The question is, did she cross it alive, or was she carried over it. MOO

Did you miss the part where I said LE was already searching the Spread Creek area. They knew where the van was parked because they were told by more than one witness and they were searching the area for at least 2 days before they found the body. The video was just confirmation of what they already knew. But we can both believe what we want. Its a big world.
I just wanted to pass along a link relating to what you are saying here.

In this SF Chronicle story, a woman relates that she called the FBI on Sept 16 to report that she remembered having spotted the van LE was looking for in the Spread Creek Dispersed Camping area. She first noticed the van on Aug 26 when she had to pull off the road to get around it as the male driver awkwardly maneuvered the van into a spot that was NOT designated for camping. She says she remembers it still being there on Aug 27 and 28, but cannot remember seeing it on Aug 29.

Gabby Petito case: What one witness saw near the Tetons may help FBI unravel mystery

Regarding IDs…BL had not updated his license since before FL updated them in 8/2017. If you look at this screenshot from the Moab stop, you can see it’s orangish on top and bluish towards the bottom. The new ID is white with green lettering on top.
You can also tell it’s not a REAL ID—it would have a yellow star emblem in the upper right hand corner.

Attachments

• 8D9189ED-26B8-4AF1-A430-B3B345495512.jpeg
    8D9189ED-26B8-4AF1-A430-B3B345495512.jpeg
    303.2 KB · Views: 47

The van was parked on the FS road south of Spread Creek in a spot just wide enough for the van. The remains site was across the creek (which is a 100+ yard wide stony area with shallow streamlets running all through it.) and then about another couple hundred yards further east a long the north side of the creek. I would think it would be a terrible place to plan to leave a body. I know that if I were camping there I would certainly cross the creek just for the fun of it. I am really surprised that someone hadn't come across the remains once I saw where they were.

Something heart-warming to read about for a change.

Aaron Betzner, owner of a metal-fabrication in Indiana, had a vision for a steel bench that will be a permanent memorial for Gabby in North Port, Florida. It will be bright, colorful and inviting.

He said, "I knew it was something that I could do. It was something that I should do."

When he heard about a possible permanent memorial for Gabby, he knew he wanted to help. He says he’s working with a member of the Petito family to help ensure the final piece of artwork will be exactly what Gabby’s parents want.

"Butterflies was the number one biggest, biggest thing". Beyond butterflies, he says the family has allowed him to add his own ideas to the piece. It will be a three-person bench instead of the usual two-person bench, "where people can come and sit, reflect on their own life, reflect on Gabby, kind of a little sanctuary space".

The bench will also include a "root system coming from the ground, almost like a tree or a bush, so it will be a place where butterflies will come and gather". The intricate work will include "15 butterfly designs and shapes that will be placed around the bench and incorporated into the bench."

The final version will be a soft white, with colorful butterflies and will have a finish to protect it from the Florida sun.

His goal is to drive the bench down to North Port before Thanksgiving. The Mayor, Jill Luke, says the bench will be placed in between trees and in the shade just feet away from where the makeshift memorial stood.

Gabby Petito memorial bench to be erected in North Port

Joe Petito said, “She touched the world”.

May her light continue to shine so that others can see their way out of the dark.

Why would he scrub the van of his prints and then park it right in front of his parents' home?

I don't think BL scrubbed it. GP known to have lived in there with BL. Of course both their DNA is all over the place. Unless the murder occurred inside, which in that case why didn't he just burn it and hike away.

Great information so thank you.
If he's still in that reserve, I also think he went to kill himself. *

Agree on the body disposal site. I also live in a national park in UK and just next to what you'd probably call preserves. There are few true wildernesses here but we have had murders here where no body has been found, just tiny fragments because the local perp knew how & where to dispose of the body.
On the topic of suicide, we've also had unfortunately a couple of cases ( including high-ranking LE!) who climbed mountains here with a few bottles of alcohol in order to go easier through hypothermia.

Anyway, enough of that.
Why do you think he didn't bury her? Do you think he really thought that animals would remove all her remains or he just panicked?

ETA* one caveat on intent to commit suicide. I don't understand why he'd need to take a large back pack ( as described, with a waist strap iirc) if he had made a decision to go into the Reserve to commit suicide

ENTIRELY SPECULATIVE so no links:

So about the pack...I am not sure the parents saw BL leave the house. If they did not, they may have assumed he had the backpack because it was gone. But it's possible he disposed of it earlier or it actually is in the house but they missed it. Perhaps they didn't look too hard because to them, hiking = backpack. One reason I am not sure they saw him leave is that there is no clothing description. Of course, some people don't notice clothes (I often don't unless they are unusual-- formal, strange color, mismatch with the occasion, etc.) and & maybe the Laundries just didn't notice.
Certainly if they were in explicit cahoots with B to help him disappear, to be on the "safe side" why not report he was wearing something he wasn't? They likely would never get caught for that even if he was found lie as he could have always changed clothes..

Anyway, why carry a big backpack for suicide? Isn't the maybe missing/maybe nonexistent gun a long gun? Maybe he wanted to be able to hide the gun when first hiking in case he ran into other hikers.

I’m glad to hear US Marshalls are now hunting Brian. He’s a fugitive and needs to be brought in to face whatever charges are thrown at him.

I’m very torn about the protesters at the Laundrie house. On one hand IMO, the Laundries should be reminded every day that Gabby, who was engaged to their son and lived with them at some point, is dead and their son is wanted for questioning (at the very least) in that matter and to answer the charges that he used her bank account. On the other hand, the neighbors are no doubt getting fed up with the noise, commotion and traffic. The protesters need to tone it down a notch or three and give the neighborhood some peace. They can make their point standing quietly in front of the house, holding signs, if they wish. Unfortunately, some of them are just looking for their 15 minutes.

I just wanted to pass along a link relating to what you are saying here.

In this SF Chronicle story, a woman relates that she called the FBI on Sept 16 to report that she remembered having spotted the van LE was looking for in the Spread Creek Dispersed Camping area. She first noticed the van on Aug 26 when she had to pull off the road to get around it as the male driver awkwardly maneuvered the van into a spot that was NOT designated for camping. She says she remembers it still being there on Aug 27 and 28, but cannot remember seeing it on Aug 29.

Gabby Petito case: What one witness saw near the Tetons may help FBI unravel mystery

Thank you. That was one of the witnesses I was talking about. I saw her mentioned in the Friday (17th) article about LE being at spread creek, but I couldn't remember her "back story". That was the same article that mentioned the elk spotters who said they saw the van there.

That's why I'd like to find the link that it's legal. I can't see this either. MOO
Target shooting is allowed on national forest or grassland unless restricted. Check your local ranger district for more information about local restriction. It is prohibited to shoot:
  • In or within 150 yards from a residence, building, campsite, developed recreation area or occupied area.
  • Across or on a national forest or grassland road or body of water.
  • In any manner or place where any person or property is exposed to injury or damage as a result of such discharge.
  • Into or within a cave.
  • Firing tracer bullets or incendiary ammunition.
  • Disturbing, injuring, destroying, or in any way damaging any prehistoric, historic, or archaeological resource, structure, site, artifact, property.
  • Abandoning any personal property or failing to dispose of all garbage, including targets, paper, cans, bottles, appliances.
In general, you should target shoot only if you:
  • Use approved targets. Certain forests may have specific restrictions, such as the type of targets used (i.e. cardboard targets, paper targets, clay pigeons).
    • Exploding targets are not recommended and are restricted on many forests or grasslands for safety and fire concerns.
  • Use approved targets along with a safe, ”bullet-proof” backstop. Do not to attach your targets to vegetation or structures, such as; trees, log decks, slash piles, fences, or water tanks.
Shooting | US Forest Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member