Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #69

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. The coroner would not base his determination of TOD based on SM or MSN. He would go strictly on scientific facts and his findings.
Coroners actually do use other findings to determine time of death. Sometimes when it is unclear, such as in this case, they use factual clues to from LE investigations to help determine a more specific date. They can definitely use clues such as the last time a victim was seen, the last time they spoke to someone on the phone, the pictures/video found on her phone (or in her cloud account), etc. to narrow down a smaller possible range or even a specific day.

Death and Kinetics

"The first steps in determining time of death are 1) collection of the body, 2) collection of any evidence around the body and 3) collection of information about the deceased."

It will take him at least 4 more months to walk the AT, and that is if he is a fast walker with few days off. No way would he manage this in the winter. As the days get shorter he will be walking less days, will have days he can’t walk due to weather, etc.
Agreed. There's no way BL is hiking on foot from Florida to Canada. In my head I was thinking if BL were to hitchhike along the way then he might have been able to get further north towards Canada. I didn't add the hitchhiking thought in my reply.

But just on his own 2 dirty little feet, no way!

Speaking of which... wouldn't BL need more than one kind of footwear or more than one pair of shoes?

Agreed. There's no way BL is hiking on foot from Florida to Canada. In my head I was thinking if BL were to hitchhike along the way then he might have been able to get further north towards Canada. I didn't add the hitchhiking thought in my reply.

But just on his own 2 dirty little feet, no way!

Speaking of which... wouldn't BL need more than one kind of footwear or more than one pair of shoes?

I spent way too long reading about supplies needed for this and the Pacific Crest Trail. It seems most hikers will either mail themselves new shoes (or broken in shoes they bought in advance and broke in before they left) as part of their resupply strategy, or will buy them on the route. But I imagine they need a few new pairs on their journey. In fall / winter / spring they would possibly want a spare pair so they don’t need to wear wet shoes. MOO

"The manager of the restaurant said they arrived on foot, without their van."

New details emerge about one of last known sightings of Gabby Petito and fiancé

If the manager KNOWS they arrived on foot, without their van, there must have been video somewhere. Maybe the live cameras caught them? Or another business did.
MOO
BBM
New details emerge about one of last known sightings of Gabby Petito and fiancé
A manager at The Merry Piglets Mexican Grill in Jackson, Wyoming, confirmed to NBC News that Laundrie and Petito were there Aug. 27.

The couple had been traveling across the country in their van since July and detailing their journey on social media. The manager of the restaurant said they arrived on foot, without their van.

More details emerge about Gabby Petito's last days as communities mourn her - Local News 8

A manager at The Merry Piglets, who declined to give her name, did see “an incident” at the restaurant on August 27 and called the FBI on Wednesday, she told CNN. The manager declined to describe what happened and said the restaurant did not have surveillance video of the incident.

I did read another article that said the van was not in the restaurant's parking lot but now I can't find the link!

BL would not be remotely close to West Virginia. Springer to WVa is over 1000 miles. Calculate 100 miles a week. That's a lot faster than your 5-10 miles. People can do it quite a bit faster, but usually they're just getting in shape in the first 400 miles, and they still carry too much stuff. Plus, it's now cold at night.
IMO BL wasn't very fit, and he wasn't used to piling on miles. His experience on the AT seems to have been dayhikes like Dragon's tooth.

That being said - In your opinion- How far north of Atlanta area , on the trail could he be ? (with proper clothing and packed for 2 weeks)

Coroners actually do use other findings to determine time of death. Sometimes when it is unclear, such as in this case, they use factual clues to from LE investigations to help determine a more specific date. They can definitely use clues such as the last time a victim was seen, the last time they spoke to someone on the phone, the pictures/video found on her phone (or in her cloud account), etc. to narrow down a smaller possible range or even a specific day.

Death and Kinetics

"The first steps in determining time of death are 1) collection of the body, 2) collection of any evidence around the body and 3) collection of information about the deceased."

yes. Autopsy vs Coroner’s reports. Coroner often elected.

Good - but are their results all in the report that Dr. Blue is using? Are the Coroner's report and Autopsy in final form?

If so, what are the rules in Teton County? Why isn't it all public?

I'm guessing it's because...federal involvement/FBI.

Would love to see the forensic entomology...we have heard no complete pathology results, either. Just Cause of Death...Manner of Death.
I assume they would all be part of the report. He has mentioned them by name in various interviews.

I believe the report not being released as yet has in part to do with Wyoming rules, but also likely has to do w FBI holding it back, as you say. I’ve seen experts suggest there’s likely things in there known only to the killer, so it’s important to withhold some info for now for validation once the killer is apprehended.

JMO!

Last edited:
I agree with you. One reason she might have made a pretend call, could have something to do with the adrenaline rush of being pulled over coupled with GP's age (immaturity) and the fact they were pulled over because a stranger reported her boyfriend was hitting her... so perhaps it was a reflex type thing to act like she was calling her parents?

I don't know, I am like you just trying to figure out what was going on with that phone call to no one... (or so it seems).

Perhaps, if she indeed faked a call, it was because this wasn’t an experience she was ready to share with anyone. Although reaching out and seeking support might be one of the best things we can do for ourselves, sometimes —especially in our darkest and most broken moments— we do the exact opposite. We withdraw into ourselves, withdraw from (vital!) connection and communication. And what would you say, anyway?
How do you get what you need without worrying your loved ones, without getting them involved beyond what can control or are prepared to deal with, without irrevocably demonizing someone you maybe still dearly love and still want to be with? There seemed to be an expectation that she should—and would want to—call her parents. A perfectly normal, very reasonable, expectation. And so, understanding the expectation, a quite socially adept Gabby may have delivered the appropriate illusion of complying. (She also may actually have called a parent, but didn’t get through. Or she got through, tamed her voice, kept her secrets, and just enjoyed the loving, familiar voice on the other end…)

he addressed a lot of what you're asking in the zoom conference video i posted a few pages ago...wyoming statute apparently allows only the manner of death and cause of death to be made public...he took a number of questions, but was unable to comment on many of the things he was asked...

Thank you!

Hadn't seen this before. Merry Piglets incident as described by a witness. MSM clip from interview by ABC Chicago
She was less than a foot away while he yelled, but she couldn't make out what he was saying? Hmm that doesn't really add up to me. Then she said the whole incident took place over 10-15 minutes, but at one point she said they were gone for 10 minutes before they came back again. Maybe she just isn't recalling correctly because they didn't think it was important at the time, I don't know but there were a lot of contradictions in that short interview.

The article also reproduces the Uncle's handwritten notes that include a notation that GP sent a snapchat to (Rose?) that she was heading to Yellowstone. Same day as Stan? I wonder what time. Before Merry Piglets, or after? BL could have sent that snap chat too. MOO

Google Maps
SBM
Yes! I'm very curious of not only the times, but what TYPE of snap was it? Was it just a typed chat message? Was it a picture with a caption? If so, what or who was the photo of and what did the caption say?

iirc, Dr. Blue is a practicing physician but it not a pathologist so it makes sense he would consult with specialized experts. jmo
Yes, you’re right about that, he’s a physician, & this is a bit off topic on my part, but sometimes people who aren’t *even* physicians run for coroner!! And win! o_O It definitely seems from what we know so far that Dr. Blue tried to arrange for a proper & thorough investigation, in terms of the experts he brought in.

Death and Kinetics

Well, if he did use other sources, he really missed it, didn't he? No way it could be two to three weeks based on info released via SM and MNS. JMO

She was less than a foot away while he yelled, but she couldn't make out what he was saying? Hmm that doesn't really add up to me. Then she said the whole incident took place over 10-15 minutes, but at one point she said they were gone for 10 minutes before they came back again. Maybe she just isn't recalling correctly because they didn't think it was important at the time, I don't know but there were a lot of contradictions in that short interview.

Some people have trouble hearing when there’s background noise—especially A LOT of background noise, like there is in a restaurant. If you’re not shamelessly staring and/or can’t read the person’s lips, you might understandably have no clue what they’re saying, even if they’re right in front of you…

Good - but are their results all in the report that Dr. Blue is using? Are the Coroner's report and Autopsy in final form?

If so, what are the rules in Teton County? Why isn't it all public?

I'm guessing it's because...federal involvement/FBI.

Would love to see the forensic entomology...we have heard no complete pathology results, either. Just Cause of Death...Manner of Death.
This was discussed a number of threads back (I believe it was the day of the Zoom press conference) and it was stated that WY makes autopsy results public once the case is closed. ETA: this is from Laramie county, but would apply to Teton county as well: Laramie County

I just had a thought - wasn't there a report from a manager or someone at Merry Piglets that said they didn't have a van? Maybe they got a ride into town and left the van at Spread Creek? MOO and just speculating - I could be misremembering.

DBM late to the Merry Piglets on foot party :D

Yes, you’re right about that, he’s a physician, & this is a bit off topic on my part, but sometimes people who aren’t *even* physicians run for coroner!! And win! o_O It definitely seems from what we know so far that Dr. Blue tried to arrange for a proper & thorough investigation, in terms of the experts he brought in.
There is a difference in a Coroner and a Medical Examiner. What is his title?
I looked his title up on Google and he is the Coroner. I also found this.
Dr. Brent Blue resigns from hospital post; will continue as Teton County coroner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken