Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #73

Status
Not open for further replies.
OCT 21, 2021
Strong probability that suspected remains found in Florida park are Brian Laundrie's, family attorney says (ksltv.com)
[...]

Law enforcement met them there and closely accompanied them as they entered the park, Bertolino said.

“As they went further in, Chris ventured off the trail into the woods. He was zigzagging in different areas, law enforcement was doing the same thing. And Roberta Laundrie was walking down the trail,” Bertolino said. “At some point, Chris locates what’s called a dry bag. The dry bag is a white bag, laying in the woods, say 20 feet or so off the trail.”

The dry bag was in some brambles and he didn’t want to move it because he wanted his law enforcement to see it, Bertolino said. However, Chris Laundrie “couldn’t find the law enforcement” because they were out of sight and didn’t want to leave the bag there with a news reporter standing nearby, so he picked it up, Bertolino explained.

“He did meet up shortly with law enforcement, they looked at the contents of the bag. At that time, law enforcement officers showed him a picture on the phone of a backpack that law enforcement had located also nearby and also some distance off the trail,” Bertolino told CNN.

“At that point, the Laundries were notified there was also remains near the backpack, and they were asked to leave the preserve.”

The suspected remains were found “about 2 to 3 miles inside the Carlton Reserve, or about a 45-minute walk” from the entrance at Myakkahatchee Creek Environmental Park, North Port police spokesperson Josh Taylor said.

[...]

You'd think CL would have the FBI on speed dial and someone would promptly be there to assist in it's recovery. However, it still blows my mind that the parents are walking around without any LE for situations exactly like this.

Well, after many searches last night I couldn't find any topographical elevation maps of the area the remains were found. I did find a geographical survey from 2007 that had areas mapped out. The area where the remains were found is in a floodplain and, according to the study, that surrounding development has caused not only more stormwater runoff to flood that park, but it's raised the water table so it's more likely to have more groundwater to begin with.
The direct spot where the remains were found is an upland area in the middle of this surrounding wetland in a flood plain. I was posturing that Brian may have gone out in that spot to hide out, got caught in a storm, the water rising around him and then flooding the area he was in and perhaps he drowned? But I'm not sure how fast that area would fill up or how deep it was.

ETA link for report
https://www.cityofnorthport.com/home/showpublisheddocument/10696/635768047240130000

Did they actually "raid" the home, or did they just execute the search warrant. I'd be surprised if it was a raid, but I didn't see it live, so...
It was not a raid. jmo
what gives you the impression they had any reason to "speak up" on 9/1?
They had every reason to notify Gabby's parents that the van and Brian were home, and that Gabby was not with him. jmo

Interview with Steven Bertolino

SB's exact words:

Cuomo
The police gave the impression that the family delayed notifying them about Brian Laundrie's disappearance.

SB
Well you say they gave the impression. They came outright and said it and certain members of the Northport Police Department have said it more than once, and as I've discussed with you once before.

Let the record be clear. The Laundrie's reported Brian did not come home the night he went out for the hike. I actually reported that to the FBI personally.

On Friday the 17th the FBI called me, we didn't call them. They called me and said we have a tip that Brian was seen in Tampa and we want to see if he's in the house. After some back and forth we agreed on a time. At 6.15, Friday the 17th the FBI is going to come to the house. During that conversation with agreeing on the time, I said to them "If you got a tip, where did this come from?" because a member of the Northport PD gave a press conference the night before and said "we know where Brian is". He was asked again "do you know where Brian is", "we know exactly where Brian is". I immediately called my client's and said "Hey, was Brian picked up?, do you know where he is? because I don't know where he is. How do they know where he is if we don't". And that was on Thursday.

On Friday the FBI came to the Laundrie residence. We then said "yes", we will fill out a missing person's report and that got twisted as though the family waited until Friday to report him missing. Which is not how it happened.

well that is as clear as mud lol so when did they let LE know that BL was missing?

IMO, if the remains turn out to be BL, I think maybe he was there for a little while, at least long enough to possibly write in that notebook. I think he had it there for a reason, if it's him. Would be interesting to know what he wrote about, if it was about GP, personal responsibility (or not), or some sort of manifesto having to do with the environment, etc.

All MOO. I personally do feel badly for anyone connected to this situation. It is sad, and tragic, IMO.

Will the notebook be readable? If the notebook is dry and ink is visible, wouldn't that be very strange as apparently the remains are just now visible because of the water receding? Or was the death very recent and after the water receded?

Do you know if the 2xLE were NPPD or FBI?
I just find it hard to believe FBI officers wouldn't be strict on chain of custody? Especially when the two people searching have told LE the night before that they intend on doing their own search. ( And those 2 people are already under a cloud of suspicion)
I personally don't think the Ls planted anything & I appreciate the group were being tailed by a Fox cameraman but it just seems a bit sloppy to me
Initially, I thought it was FBI agents but now IDK.
The Fox reporter who filmed the scenes of CL finding the white bag said one of the 2 LEOs claimed to be FBI.
I believe that the FBI knew, or should have known, that the Ls were going in to search.
Apparently SB contacted NPPD but surely they in turn notified the FBI as the FBI is leading the investigation.
It's all very murky and I blame SB for that.
Also, there seem to be some problems with the NPPD.
IDK what is going on there but I think in this case they are in over their heads.

jmho

"The parents had assumed that the experts, the FBI and all the tracking teams they had would be able to locate Brian based upon the information that we had provided them, to the specific areas and trails in the park that Brian liked to visit," he said.

“This is the very area of the park that we initially informed law enforcement on, I believe it was September 17th, that Brian would be most likely in the preserve in this particular area as I know it, near the bridge," Bertolino continued. "If that water had cleared two weeks ago, perhaps could have circled back and looked again. Perhaps they meant to. Perhaps they were further, deeper into the park and never got back to this park because it is so near the entrance, Chris and Roberta went to this area first, and as happenstance was, they stumbled upon these items."
Could Notebook Hold Key? ‘Highly Probable' Human Remains Found Are Brian Laundrie, Attorney Says

I may have missed this - there's been a lot to try to keep up with in the past 24 hours - but, what do we think the dark colored object was that CL placed in the white bag? We now know that the backpack was recovered by LE and the notebook was inside the backpack. That leaves the dark object that is partially poking out of the hole at the bottom right corner of the white dry bag, and was recovered by CL. Are we back to speculating it could have been a weapon? Wouldn't the FBI have mentioned that? MOO

Someone else said it looks like another clip, similar to the top one. I think it does too.

well that is as clear as mud lol so when did they let LE know that BL was missing?
Hmmm seems pretty clear to me:

"Let the record be clear. The Laundrie's reported Brian did not come home the night he went out for the hike. I actually reported that to the FBI personally."

I'm just really failing to understand why the parents lawyered up at all. If they had nothing to do with what their son did, I'm just not understanding the lawyer for them. I think that's why everyone just assumes guilt on the whole family. If they had nothing to hide, why lawyer up at all over something your son allegedly did. I'm sure having a hard time with it.

It was not a raid. jmo

They had every reason to notify Gabby's parents that the van and Brian were home, and that Gabby was not with him. jmo

I think it depends on what they were told and what they believed to be true.

At that point, before she was considered missing, they likely thought she was in contact with her parents.

My opinion.

the dry bag could be in the backpack to be carried because it rolls up and you take it out when you go near water hiking or in a boat. That said I find it strange that the dry bag was in a total different spot than the backpack and remains. why I'm suspicious that the dry bag was a dropoff by parents earlier for brian that he never made it to. they knew where it was, they picked it up, ruling out their fingerprints from earlier.
Unless an animal carried off the backpack or the dry bag don't see why they would be separated.

Dry bags float, and that area was covered by water. It probably simply floated around and as the water dropped, it ended up where it did.

There was a post earlier to the effect that the public got so deep into details, flying information, and unlikely, complex theories that we lost sight of the basic facts of the case and simple, obvious explanations.

Although the unexpected does happen, it's those explanations that are usually correct.

For example, many people twisted into pretzels trying to figure out why Brian would've killed Gabby, why the Laundries behaved as they did, how Brian would've gotten away to another country, why it looked like LE dropped the ball here or there, etc.

When maybe, the simplest explanations might be the case.

Maybe BL killed Gabby because he's an abuser and she did nothing wrong.
Maybe the Laundries looked like they were being heartless because they were.
Maybe BL ran away from his parents to kill himself nearby, and doesn't really have the skills of the Barefoot Bandit.
And maybe LE occasionally did make a mistake, instead of always having a good reason for doing what they did.

I'm just saying maybe.

MOO

How so? He could have told them almost anything (she's there with a friend, i dropped her off at X, we broke up and she's traveling with s0-and-so, etc). There is no evidence we've been presented with that indicates they were aware of anything going awry.

Maybe it's the tattoos
See, I don't see them being as confident as when GP was found, they made the initial ID pretty quickly. The only evidence that leads, at least me as the public, to be him is the items found and the location. So, not meaning to be graphic, but to me, it sounds like the remains are not easy to identify as to who it is and they will be relying on scientific evaluation instead. Which leaves the door open to all of the alternative scenarios.
With the way this case has gone, it's hard not to head down that alternative rabbit hole. I am not one for conspiracy theories at all but this leaves so many holes and suspicions on the table that it's hard not to let my mind wander that way.

On a different note, I watched Polly Klaas's father last night and he said that if he is indeed dead, that is the 'easiest' justice for the Ps/Ss. Because he will no longer be a subject of discussion and they will not have to go for years in the legal system with all of the reopening of the emotional wounds over and over. There is no such thing as closure when you have lost a loved one in such a violent way but this allows you to heal without starting all over again. Samantha Runyon's mother was on too and she agreed. I just can't even imagine but as much as we all want to see BL face justice for what he's done, at this point, the Ps/Ss deserve to be able to start healing..... And GPs foundation will go on to do amazing things.

I'm just really failing to understand why the parents lawyered up at all. If they had nothing to do with what their son did, I'm just not understanding the lawyer for them. I think that's why everyone just assumes guilt on the whole family. If they had nothing to hide, why lawyer up at all over something your son allegedly did. I'm sure having a hard time with it.
If Brian revealed ANY details to them about what occurred, the smart choice would be to lawyer up. It makes total sense to me.

First time posting over in this section. I've been reading the threads since GP disappeared. Just wanted to say, I am sheepish to say anything, but really appreciate all of the info on these threads, and everything the mods have been doing. Hard work!

IMO, if the remains turn out to be BL, I think maybe he was there for a little while, at least long enough to possibly write in that notebook. I think he had it there for a reason, if it's him. Would be interesting to know what he wrote about, if it was about GP, personal responsibility (or not), or some sort of manifesto having to do with the environment, etc.

All MOO. I personally do feel badly for anyone connected to this situation. It is sad, and tragic, IMO.
I'm bracing myself for blank ages or ink that has faded too much to be ever legible having been in water for such a long long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fesmike