Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #74

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know if it's likely that if someone or something died within weeks or even a couple months that the decomposition would lead to just 'bones' at this point in time? Seems to quickly to me. I used to hike a lot and came across many many animal remains and the only ones I found that were 'bones' only had clearly been there for a very long time because they were sun-bleached and it was just visually obvious around them that they had been there for quite some time. MOST of the animal remains I have found still had fur, dried blood, flies, etc on them even though it was obvious they still weren't there anytime extremely recently.
This was my thought as well. But with being underwater and all of the predators in the Reserve, maybe it’s possible? We don’t know what condition the bones are in, it’s quite possible they still have “stuff” attached to them (muscle, tissue, etc.). Maybe that’s how they’re able to pull a DNA sample? I’m just guessing/speculating though… Not an expert in the matter by any means.

This is a good article that (I believe) was written by the reporter who followed them around and filmed them. It explains that they had only a bag of water bottles and were trailed by law enforcement the whole time. The Ls did not plant the evidence found yesterday. IMO
I have seen that report too--that LE was trailing them the whole time. I have also see that the reason they handled the white bag themselves is because they couldnt find any LE and were afraid of evidence being disturbed. So maybe LE wasnt there all the time? JMO

Maybe I'm not normal but if one of my children had murdered their partner then I'd probably agree that suicide/death is a better choice than life in prison.
I don’t think there is a normal in this situation. As a parent I cannot imagine what I would “prefer” (I can’t think of a better word right now but prefer sounds kind of yucky given the subject).

I can tell you I wouldn’t be in their position to begin with though, because if my son came home in his girlfriends van without her and her parents kept calling because no one could reach her, I would call the best lawyer to represent my son that I could afford, reassure my son I love him no matter what, and then I’m calling the police.

Does anyone know if it's likely that if someone or something died within weeks or even a couple months that the decomposition would lead to just 'bones' at this point in time? Seems to quickly to me. I used to hike a lot and came across many many animal remains and the only ones I found that were 'bones' only had clearly been there for a very long time because they were sun-bleached and it was just visually obvious around them that they had been there for quite some time. MOST of the animal remains I have found still had fur, dried blood, flies, etc on them even though it was obvious they still weren't there anytime extremely recently.
I actually just read an article yesterday that shows all the ways a body in water can decompose and a body can be reduced to bones in just a few days, depending on the environment.

This states it can occur within 3 weeks.
Skeletonization - Wikipedia

According to Bertolino he contacted the FBI the day Brian went missing. I just don't understand why people continue to belabor the issue of the Laundries getting the dates mixed up. It happens. Given that they knew Bertolino reported Brian missing on day 1 they would also know that the FBI already had exact info on the date Brian went missing. So any suggestion that they were lying for some nefarious reason is absurd.

Anyway, just a thought: I expect that after the remains are positively identified to be Brian the Laundries will reveal exactly what Brian told them. If he confessed we may still learn those details.

I haven’t caught up on posts yet this morning but one thing that kept me awake in the middle of the night last night: what if the parents and BL had been in communication during the time BL has been “missing” by burner phone and the phone was in the dry bag, so CL had an opportunity to remove it when he “found” the bag? Authorities won’t necessarily ever know.

Interesting tweet from Jossie Carbonare:

"It still has not been confirmed if the remains found are in fact Brian Laundrie's, but Steven Bertolino, family attorney tells me considering the circumstances 'the chances that it's Brian, the probability is pretty high,' he said. 'They are upset it's their son, they anticipated this although it's not something they wanted to happen but it was certain something our thoughts and conversations. Now that the reality has struck so to speak it's very disheartening for them,' said Bertolino."

https://twitter.com/JossieCarbonare/status/1451251783213461510

Seems more definitive than yesterday.

I have seen that report too--that LE was trailing them the whole time. I have also see that the reason they handled the white bag themselves is because they couldnt find any LE and were afraid of evidence being disturbed. So maybe LE wasnt there all the time? JMO
Their attorney stated that Le was close enough to them to view them. jmo

Does anyone know if it's likely that if someone or something died within weeks or even a couple months that the decomposition would lead to just 'bones' at this point in time? Seems too quickly to me. I used to hike a lot and came across many many animal remains and the only ones I found that were 'bones' only had clearly been there for a very long time because they were sun-bleached and it was just visually obvious around them that they had been there for quite some time. MOST of the animal remains I have found still had fur, dried blood, flies, etc on them even though it was obvious they still weren't there anytime extremely recently.

There's been more than enough time if he was in water, and that area was. My example is about sea water so I do not know if salt water would do things differently than unsalted water.

ETA - There are different critters as well between the 2 places but it's not like there are just butterflies and ladybugs where he was found.

How long does it take for a body to decompose to bones in water? - Even a weighted body will normally float to the surface after three or four days, exposing it to sea birds and buffeting from the waves. Putrefaction and scavenging creatures will dismember the corpse in a week or two and the bones will sink to the seabed.

Source: How long does it take for a body to decompose at sea?

Last edited:
From your link…

"Chris confirmed with me just this morning that when him and Roberta looked, I believe it was on the 14th (of September), the whole area was waist deep or higher in water," Bertolino said. "The FBI confirmed that yesterday that that area until recently had been flooded with water. When that water receded, obviously more things were accessible."
https://twitter.com/leisa1979/status/1451242097290498058

————

One thing I am not understanding is this trail was one he liked, but they say it was under water when searching. We have had a really wet summer in Florida…bad, bad storms daily. Why would BL have gone to this area as I am sure it was a wet mess then.

I also wonder why, if there was an area that the parents said they were sure would yield clues from the beginning, and they were unable to do any search of that area within 3 days of BL disappearance, why wouldnt the receding of the water be viewed as an opportunity to do that search by LE? Why would they end the search and open the park to visitors when the water had finally receded enough to make a thorough search that, it appears, would have yielded clues for the first time? JMO

Interesting tweet from Jossie Carbonare:

"It still has not been confirmed if the remains found are in fact Brian Laundrie's, but Steven Bertolino, family attorney tells me considering the circumstances 'the chances that it's Brian, the probability is pretty high,' he said. 'They are upset it's their son, they anticipated this although it's not something they wanted to happen but it was certain something our thoughts and conversations. Now that the reality has struck so to speak it's very disheartening for them,' said Bertolino."

https://twitter.com/JossieCarbonare/status/1451251783213461510

Seems more definitive than yesterday.

I agree. Amateur speculation - given the fact that the remains were found near what are definitively BLs belongings, in an area he was thought to have gone to when he disappeared, it is his body and everyone knows it. They just cannot officially say that because it is a skeleton. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288