CA - Jonathan Gerrish, Ellen Chung, daughter, 1 & dog, suspicious death hiking area, Aug 2021 #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Family's statement was unbelievably beautiful and poignant. The Sheriff was outstanding, and I found the presentation persuasive. Sheriff Briese mentioned 34 different agencies involved in this investigation. I am blown away by the Sheriff's department's commmittment to the families, and the families' appreciation.

The Family's statement was unbelievably beautiful and poignant. The Sheriff was outstanding, and I found the presentation persuasive. Sheriff Briese mentioned 34 different agencies involved in this investigation. I am blown away by the Sheriff's department's commmittment to the families, and the families' appreciation.

Agree. It's heartbreaking.

Now claiming the bladder was empty...

Sheriff: Family died from hyperthermia, possible dehydration while hiking Mariposa Co. trail

LIVE: Sheriff: Family died from hyperthermia, possible dehydration while hiking Mariposa Co. trail

ETA: Hyperthermia = heat stroke (not to be confused with hypothermia).

What you wrote is correct, but the sheriff later responded to a reporter’s question and said a minute amount of water was in the bladder that was sent for testing.

The initial statement by the sheriff over two months ago of the family being “well prepared” is in glaring contrast to the 85 oz water capacity in a single carrier with no filtration equipment. The lack of hats paired with tank tops is also troublesome.

Given that, I would have to perhaps question the other part of the sheriff’s original statement concerning the near-completion of the loop because to do that hike on that day equipped in that fashion is unfathomable. (Were definitive tracking details offered at the presser?).

I know to many this still doesn't make sense. Philip Kreycik's similar fate never made sense to me either. I just now got back from a hike this evening in the nearest state park. I saw a warning sign at the trailhead about the signs of heat related problems. It's probably been there for a year or more, but I just now read it.
ETA. I accept that the findings are correct in both cases, but I'm nonetheless baffled by what they did.

The initial statement by the sheriff over two months ago of the family being “well prepared” is in glaring contrast to the 85 oz water capacity in a single carrier with no filtration equipment. The lack of hats paired with tank tops is also troublesome.

Given that, I would have to perhaps question the other part of the sheriff’s original statement concerning the near-completion of the loop because to do that hike on that day equipped in that fashion is unfathomable. (Were definitive tracking details offered at the presser?).
I feel like the family was dressed and prepared for a much shorter hike that day. Did they take a wrong turn and hike farther than planned? Or were they feeling overconfident and decided to hike longer?

Very, very sad.

I am wondering though, what would be an adequate amount of water for such a hike? It's been said that this was quite inadequate. Does anyone know? I'm guessing this would be 2-3 hours? I'm not sure that I would've brought more than a liter a person. Thanks in advance to anyone more knowledgeable.

So very, very sad and tragic.

Per the family's closing statement that the information officer read, they will never know "why". That will linger with us as well once we go our separate ways.

For those not able to watch the briefing and Q&A session after, here are some points I took notes on:
  • something like 30 agencies and entities were involved with this investigation
  • hyperthermia with dehydration was the cause of death for the family (undetermined for the dog)
  • the family started their hike at 8am - the same witness that saw them drive by at 7:45, saw the truck parked at the trailhead at 8:00am
  • they hiked all but 1.6 miles of an approximate 8 mile 'loop' - known as the Hites cove trail area - starting at Hites Cove Road
  • temperatures were 74-78 degrees when they started but where 107-109 degrees as they started up the Savage-Lundy trail
  • the trail along the river they hiked was named 20E01.4 (a forestry service road, I think the Sheriff said)
  • they were wearing shorts and tank tops and had NO hats on
  • the 85oz camelback type water carrier was essentially empty, with only a small amount of residue available to test (likely just tap water)
  • there was no other water containers found and they did not have a water filtration system
  • there was no water bowl for the dog
  • they had a small amount of baby formula and some snacks left
  • all toxicology results were negative for both prescription and illegal drugs
  • there was no cell service in the area they hiked
  • JG's cell phone is still with the FBI in DC, and they still hope to glean more information on what happened, once analysis is complete
  • no evidence the family accessed any of the nearby mines
  • the family had the car keys with them
  • they were all found together
I am stunned by some of these facts and that is why I tried so hard to answer the "why" this happened. No one will ever have that answer, as we suspected.

May Jon, Ellen, Miju, Oski and their friends and family be at peace with the critical answers they do have now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zootopian2