Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #75

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I'm in the minority thinking this will turn out to be such an easier route for Gabby's family, than if he had been brought back to stand trial. There's now no trial, no standing by while a faction insists on his innocence, no having cameras shoved in their faces while they come and go from the courthouse, no attending parole hearings every few years, no putting up with "where is he now" updates in the media on how he's doing, etc.

It's done. Now they can focus on her foundation, and raising their other children and making life as bearable as possible for them.
I think you are correct. I believe this will bring them closure, as we can only speculate what.... I do wonder if evidence pertaining to Gabby's homicide will be released. I really don't know if the case is soon solved. Since the poi is deceased, how is a case closed at this point? To your point, I suspect Gabby's family will use their time to honour her memory with the foundation.

Joey Jackson just said on HLN that posthumous prosecution is possible, talked about for transparency for Gabby's family and that the investigation will be completed including how he died.

Posthumous prosecution is really really rare. Can't imagine that happening in this sort of case. It's definitely a very sad case but frankly, people get killed every day. But prosecuting Brian after death would put him in a very select group along with Joan of Arc, Thomas Beckett, John Wycliff, and Martin Borman.
JMO

Regarding the L's presence in the Reserve yesterday:
Wouldn't LE have briefed them before they set out on foot as to what not to do if they discover anything?
Some former FBI lady just on with Dan Abrams just said they would have been frisked before their "search" began.
Ok fine, but wouldn't LE have emphatically told them not to touch or pick up anything?!?
So the Fox reporter was following them and CL supposedly didn't see any LE nearby (?????) so he took the dry bag because he was worried the reporter would get to it?
??????

moo.

Ugh. I was pretty certain he killed himself when it was discovered he went missing. Disappointing. It feels like he escaped justice. Many of you likely feel the same.
He did escape justice, IMO. Ask any family member of a murder victim where the perpetrator has absconded or committed suicide. I would think they feel somewhat cheated.

Is that from a funeral home/mortuary?
That’s what it looks like to me. JMO but I would assume that the remains would be in the custody of medical examiner for now and released to the family after manner and cause of death has been determined. It does appear to be a more dignified mode of transportation than an FBI evidence respone van IMO.

Brian disappeared on 13th , until that date changes yet again.
Gabby was reported missing on 11th.
How could they have 'picked him up ' when her death had not even been reported at that stage.
Also he had lawyered up.
I don't know whether BL suicided or not but if he did is that not the ultimate evasion?

Right, but the claims that his parents helped him evade are just not accurate. He was at his parents' place and LE knew it. They had ample opportunity to apprehend Brian should they want to. On the 13th he told his parents he was going for a hike. When he didn't return from that hike in a timely manner his parents notified the FBI the same day, as claimed by Bertolino. What more could they have done?

I have actually been giving a great deal of though to the question of whether or not Brian confessed to his parents. My gut on this is no. Definitely not right away, but maybe toward the end. In my view Brian is looking after Brian. He is going to say whatever furthers his own goals. I suspect he planned suicide all along. So what did he say in order to manipulate his parents? Whatever he felt would work.

Because they didn't want their son to go to jail for the rest of his life. We can agree or disagree with how they handled it but if they did, through Bertolino, report Brian went missing on the 13th (and I am absolutely confident that Bertolino is not lying on this point, by the way), then they have nothing to answer for.

NPPD said Brian was under surveillance. I just don't get the completely incoherent messaging we are getting from NPPD. If he was under surveillance why did they not follow him to the park? How did they miss that? Somehow they missed Brian getting into the Mustang and driving off. That's quite the surveillance. NPPD dropped the ball over and over again in this case, in my view.

Brian Laundrie thrust his parents into an extremely difficult situation. They dealt with it by following the advice of their lawyer. I do think it could have been handled better, frankly. Bertolino has said he accepts full responsibility.
For this outcome?
They hired him to protect their child.
Their child is dead.

Accuracy seems to be lacking a lot in this case. How anyone could forget when they last saw their son that they reported missing is beyond me. Confusion is a central theme as one can hardly keep up with constantly changing narrative. What is true and supposedly accurate one day, changes soon after. IMO.

Agree with you in the broader sense - the whole case has been full of contradictory statements & have said many times it's so frustrating to pin things down even though I try & recheck the links & get the facts & quotes straight. Often the quotes themselves are inaccurate.

But re this particular memory failure from the Ls, because I don't know why the L's made this mistake I just can't judge if that was deceit, callousness or memory loss.

I can't even get a basic handle on the Laundrie parents because I have never heard them speak.

There are many aspects of his representation that have reasonably raised eyebrows from a legal ethics perspective. Because the potential for a criminal trial of BL is now moot, there may be nothing to make of his choices, but choosing to represent 3 related people in a national missing person/homicide investigation case, in a jurisdiction(s) in which he is not admitted, on a scale he has not ever dealt with, as a solo practitioner, in a subject-matter area that is not his top practice area is a lot to manage. Again, in and of themselves, those are not clear ethical breaches, especially where the case ended, but most attorneys would think long and hard about it and would be exceedingly precise and careful in their day-to-day handling of all aspects of the representation.
Ditto that. And I don't think we have any proof that he ever spoke with, took notes from, or really represented BL in any way shape or form except via his (the lawyer's) contradictory tweets. That seems highly suspect to me, as I do believe it's true. He is a friend of the parents and they couldn't have been so clueless as to think he represented them all despite the differences in what they were bringing to the table. There are principals in this case, the Laundrie parents and the lawyer, who should cringe at the way they have influenced the outcome, the death of a young man. He could have gone to prison, ironically have gotten a good education, and made something of his life while away from all those adults making decisions to "save" him. IMO

Last edited:
NPPD said Brian was under surveillance.
They never said that. They said they "knew exactly where he was" repeatedly until the 17th, when he was reported missing, and then their PR became "We had no reason to keep him under surveillance, he wasn't a suspect in a crime, we don't track citizens, and you are all a bunch of meanies" (paraphrasing slightly).

Justice for Gabby, now, consists in the fact that the man who killed her is dead. If that doesn't look like justice to others, nothing to do be done about it.

BL became his own judge and executioner. IMO.

Getting access to BL's notebooks and his further ramblings is not, to me, any form of justice. We await Gabby's family's view, though.
I think that some form of justice, however small, could be from BL confessing to his acts in his journal.

One of the things that I find so striking about this case is how many experienced experts were wrong. Wrong about most everything- and consistent with their wrongful predictions. Wrong about where Brian went. Wrong about Brian’s intent to flee. Wrong about the Carlton Reserve. Wrong about whether or not BL was the type to commit suicide. It has really made me step back & consider how many other assumptions are also wrong. There is much, much we don’t know & much we may never know. Horrible event for two families. And for everyone with a son or daughter anywhere. jmo

This is what stands out to me as well. So many who call themselves experts got this so wrong.

MOO.

Right, but the claims that his parents helped him evade are just not accurate. He was at his parents' place and LE knew it. They had ample opportunity to apprehend Brian should they want to. On the 13th he told his parents he was going for a hike. When he didn't return from that hike in a timely manner his parents notified the FBI the same day, as claimed by Bertolino. What more could they have done?

I have actually been giving a great deal of though to the question of whether or not Brian confessed to his parents. My gut on this is no. Definitely not right away, but maybe toward the end. In my view Brian is looking after Brian. He is going to say whatever furthers his own goals. I suspect he planned suicide all along. So what did he say in order to manipulate his parents? Whatever he felt would work.
On what specific grounds could he have been apprehended between 11th and13th?

YES!! I hope this finally comes to the states!
For too long, women have had to rely on gossip to save their lives. How else would you know if someone was an abuser and to stay away unless another victim warned you? Domestic violence can be tracked and prevented!
Her family fought so hard for it to become law (if you look it up, It’s really interesting, it’s on wiki, not sure I can share due to being DV related) Maybe they could make a gabbys law. I personally would love that and what a way for her to help other people. MOO

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member