Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #76

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm guessing he might have smelled something. Since the water had just receded, you'd think there would have been a pretty strong odor.

I think both parents were pretty sure from the first that Brian might have taken his life, and they knew where he was going so they felt something had been overlooked.

Not if the body was completely skeletonized - that part of decomp where it's smell was...over

(which is why I always prefer studying skeletons to bodies...)

Just saw this -- please forgive if it's a repeat:

Gabby Petito's Family Won't Speak On Laundrie Death Yet: Attorney
"Gabby's family will make a statement at the appropriate time and when they are emotionally ready." - Richard Stafford

e84a50ae-1ed9-403a-b902-fd69808c60ad___14141347507.jpg

Peggy Spellman Hoey, Patch Staff
Posted Thu, Oct 21, 2021 at 11:08 pm ET|Updated Thu, Oct 21, 2021 at 11:28 pm ET
BLUE POINT, NY — The family of Gabby Petito was silent on Thursday following the news that the Federal Bureau of Investigation confirmed the remains of Brian Laundrie — the sole person of interest in her death — were found the day before in a Florida preserve.
In a statement on Thursday night, her family's attorney, Richard Stafford of Bohemia, said they would not be making a statement or doing any interviews "at this time."

-------------
More references to articles are cited in this article.
Source:
Gabby Petito's Family Won't Speak On Laundrie Death Yet: Attorney

It's so odd that the two 911 calls do not jive with each other.

One has BL slapping her and then jumping in the van and driving off (with no mention of Gabby attempting to climb through the driver side window, trying to grab her phone - and succeeding in getting inside the van).

Seems like the witness who saw BL drive off would have noticed that.

And no one mentions Gabby scratching BL, even though BL has scratch marks when LE catch up to them.

<modsnip - quoted post removed>
I can’t believe we’re still going over this.

Ever heard of that cliche where a battered woman says she tripped? Hit the door handle? Slipped? Was simply clumsy?

It exists for a reason.

I have no doubts that the witness calls to 911 are truthful. One saw them fighting with each other, Gaby climbing over Brian. The other witness saw him slap and hit her, chasing her down the sidewalk.

Being stopped by the police must’ve been terrifying for Gabby after what she just went through. Having to explain yourself in that situation, when it’s hard to even admit things to yourself (like hey I’m in an abusive relationship, this isn’t okay)… the shame and guilt that come with that. The fear of punishment from the abuser for speaking up.

Just because Gaby didn’t admit to the cops on the spot that Brian had slapped her doesn’t make that less true. She pretty much took all the blame, she blamed herself for HIS lack of control over HIS emotions, his actions. It’s because of her behavior that I believe that wasn’t their first rodeo and she was used to excusing and justifying his behavior.

I really wish everyone would just read up on typical dynamics in abusive relationships, victim actions, etc.

The fact Gabby is a homicide victim speaks volumes to which person was more violent.
Gabby wasn't alive when BL died.

I agree.
John Walsh has suffered a horrific kidnapping and murder of his own son. I would NOT wish this on anyone. Walsh dedicated his entire life to helping others. Dog's has suffered loss too and has caught bad guys. I'm not a fan of reality tv shows but he wanted to help.
I would not call either insincere grifters.
If this story did NOT go viral the other travelers would NOT

The fact Gabby is a homicide victim speaks volumes to which person was more violent.
Gabby wasn't alive when BL died.

know to look at their video footage on August 27th. This case might have grown cold with no closure for Gabby's parents. I'm glad it did go viral. Let's help others next.

bbm

You are so right. I was just thinking about this yesterday.

What a lucky coincidence that the Bethunes drove past the van when they did. They’re the reason she was found.

Just read this in the CNN article someone posted (I think it got deleted due to copyright, as the whole thing appeared to be posted? I think this excerpt is ok?):

"On September 11 -- after Petito's family reported her missing -- Laundrie invoked his Fifth Amendment right when police went to the Laundrie home, North Port Police Chief Todd Garrison told CNN. Invoking the Fifth Amendment means a person cannot be forced to make statements they feel might be negative or used against them."

My question is... is this what we all understood about what happened, before now? That he invoked the 5th? I know they handed the police the lawyer contact info, but I didn't realize that automatically or explicitly equaled invoking the 5th? To me, this changes the contours of things, but perhaps it was just something I hadn't fully registered before. JMO
May not have said I am invoking my 5th amendment rights, but effectively, that is what he did when he handed Police the Attorney's card. Same thing as asking for an attorney while being questioned. That ends questioning. Period. jmo

Not if the body was completely skeletonized - that part of decomp where it's smell was...over

(which is why I always prefer studying skeletons to bodies...)
I listened to the podcast of Joseph Scott Morgan this morning and I have to say your job is incredibly interesting. I had no idea the detail of information that could be retrieved from a tooth!

In fairness, the remark about "grieving" was made by SB (which is a tell, as I see it). He mixes up his timeline all the time...as no one knew that Gabby was dead at the time that he claims the parents "Knew" that Brian was "grieving". If Brian was grieving (strange choice of word) when he left on Monday, the 13th, it was grieving for himself because he knew he was busted and the wheels of justice were turning and that HIS life, as he knew it was over. It wasn't "grief" over Gabby. By SB saying that, it implies that he, Brian, and the parents all knew that Gabby was deceased. But the rest of the world only found that out on the 19th. jmo
I don't see any difference between our 2 posts. I did say that it came from the lawyer. and I pointed out that Gabby's body had not yet been found. No, it wasn't grief over Gabby, it was grief over knowing he would shortly be found out for murder. (IMO).

The point I keep making is what is the parents' excuse or explanation for telling the lawyer that their son was "grieving" on the 13th, when all that had really happened as far as they say they know is that the van was taken, and they knew that the Petitos had gone to the cops. Anyway no one seems to get what I'm saying, that the onus is on the parents to explain what Brian was "grieving" about, if they TRULY didn't know she was dead. Or, do we just assume that Brian said "Hey, I'm grieving". And they didn't bother to ask why. At that point we are led to believe that the only thing the Laundrie parents knew about is the towing of the van. And learning that Gabby's folks had gone to the police because of the lack of answers from the Laundries. So yeah, that admission from their lawyer that they knew BL was GRIEVING on the 13th may end up biting them on the buttsky. IMO

Last edited:
People are talking about the Laundry parents facing charges (and the possibility of them having made a deal with LE/FBI), but I think the possibility of them being charged is extremely unlikely, based on what we know to be true (facts). Here's why:

(1) The only thing the Laundries did that we know about, is to remain silent and to not answer/return texts/calls. These things are not criminal.

(2) IMO, BL appears to have been deceased since he left to hike in the reserve, based on the state of the remains being skeletal, which suggests that his parents were truthful about when he left and where he went.

(3) There is nothing to suggest that the parents assisted BL after he left, and certainly not after BL was charged with the bank card charge, because there were people watching their house/them around the clock. Anything they did to help him before he was charged was not criminal.

(4) It seems to me that it is unlikely that LE/FBI would have evidence of the parents doing anything to help BL after he was charged.
(a) Burner phones: unlikely
Apparently, there is no cell service in M. park or the C. reserve so it's unlikely that anyone was communicating with BL since he left home and went to the park or reserve.
(b) parents meeting BL and supplying him
People have been watching the parents' house around the clock and following them when they drive anywhere, so it's unlikely that they brought him supplies to the park or reserve.
(c) Bank withdrawals to help BL
There are unlikely to be any bank withdrawals to help BL after he was charged, because he was gone before that, so even if the parents bought him camping gear and supplies before he left, it would not have been criminal because he hadn't been charged at that time.

IMO, there is no reason for the parents to be charged for anything. It does not appear that they have done anything illegal.

I strongly agree. I think a lot of people just want someone to be charged for something in this case, but unfortunately I don't think there will be any charges. The only person responsible is dead. IMO.

Grabbing is also a form of assault. Also shoving, playing keep-away with her phone or keys to her van, and squeezing her face.
You can be arrested for taking someone's phone away and not allowing them to leave or make a call. It's illegal. A form of control.
Yes, I know that. What I am trying to establish is did Brian actually have the phone? I don't think he did, because Gabby 'caught' him with it (causing injury to him) when trying to get back into the van.

As far as I can tell from the video and the transcript B was trying to create space and it was G who didn't want the space to occur.

What do you think they should have done? Perhaps, both walk in opposite directions and meet up in half an hour? What if the roles were reversed? Because if I reverse the roles based on the transcript, that is the only way I see B as an aggressor.

I know this will not be a popular opinion, but it is my opinion. I don't see DV here. What I do see is a massive falling out between the two of them with more or less equal blame.

I know that no one planted a body, but I will just never get over the sight of Dad deliberately walking off the trail with so much purpose, while Roberta just stares into the woods. imo.
According to the reporter who trailed the Ls that day, CL went off the trail 8-10 times before he found BL's possessions.
BBM
https://twitter.com/staticlogic/status/1451363844694155267Casual Observer
@staticlogic

yes, how many times did he search in the brush off the path? one magical time?

Michael Ruiz@mikerreports

8-10

People are talking about the Laundry parents facing charges (and the possibility of them having made a deal with LE/FBI), but I think the possibility of them being charged is extremely unlikely, based on what we know to be true (facts). Here's why:

(1) The only thing the Laundries did that we know about, is to remain silent and to not answer/return texts/calls. These things are not criminal.

(2) IMO, BL appears to have been deceased since he left to hike in the reserve, based on the state of the remains being skeletal, which suggests that his parents were truthful about when he left and where he went.

(3) There is nothing to suggest that the parents assisted BL after he left, and certainly not after BL was charged with the bank card charge, because there were people watching their house/them around the clock. Anything they did to help him before he was charged was not criminal.

(4) It seems to me that it is unlikely that LE/FBI would have evidence of the parents doing anything to help BL after he was charged.
(a) Burner phones: unlikely
Apparently, there is no cell service in M. park or the C. reserve so it's unlikely that anyone was communicating with BL since he left home and went to the park or reserve.
(b) parents meeting BL and supplying him
People have been watching the parents' house around the clock and following them when they drive anywhere, so it's unlikely that they brought him supplies to the park or reserve.
(c) Bank withdrawals to help BL
There are unlikely to be any bank withdrawals to help BL after he was charged, because he was gone before that, so even if the parents bought him camping gear and supplies before he left, it would not have been criminal because he hadn't been charged at that time.

IMO, there is no reason for the parents to be charged for anything. It does not appear that they have done anything illegal.
I believe there is zero chance they will be charged with anything for all the reasons you stated. I do not believe they did anything wrong.

In fairness, the remark about "grieving" was made by SB (which is a tell, as I see it). He mixes up his timeline all the time...as no one knew that Gabby was dead at the time that he claims the parents "Knew" that Brian was "grieving". If Brian was grieving (strange choice of word) when he left on Monday, the 13th, it was grieving for himself because he knew he was busted and the wheels of justice were turning and that HIS life, as he knew it was over. It wasn't "grief" over Gabby. By SB saying that, it implies that he, Brian, and the parents all knew that Gabby was deceased. But the rest of the world only found that out on the 19th. jmo

Interesting.

To say Brian was grieving and thus left the house upset, and dad wishes he would have stopped him, all implies that he told his parents that he strangled her and this is why he was grieving and left the house upset.

No one, parents/attorney was in any hurry to keep close tabs with LE simply for the fact that they all realized Brian was guilty of some type of murder. What charge they envisioned is anyone's guess but they knew he was responsible and would be charged.

So it seens to me anyway.

This could be why the parents stayed so quiet. They knew about the murder so what could they do? They were worried about him disappearing but yet didn't want to see his mugshot on the front pages any time soon, which is what would have happened with his return.

Had the parents not known what Brian did to Gabby then the parents would have been talking to the media asking for help finding him because he had a fight with his girlfriend and was upset.

But how can you ask for the public's help in finding your son when you know that same public will find out what your son did?

You can't.

And they didnt.

...2 Cent Opinion...

Grabbing is also a form of assault. Also shoving, playing keep-away with her phone or keys to her van, and squeezing her face.
You can be arrested for taking someone's phone away and not allowing them to leave or make a call. It's illegal. A form of control.

It's really too bad Gabby didn't tell LE all of that - but clearly, she didn't want BL in jail (and she might have been in jail herself, given the marks on his body). They both wanted to avoid jail, which is understandable.

Snipped for focus. It keeps being said they were to meet "a friend" (not friends) in Yellowstone, but that friend (RD) has said several times that that's a misunderstanding. Instead, Gabby was supposed to call RD on RD's birthday (August 29) at which time they were going to discuss "meeting up," possibly in Yellowstone.

By that time, Gabby and BL ought to have been in Yellowstone - so unless they planned to stay quite a while or RD has lots of money, last minute fares to West Yellowstone are incredibly expensive. In fact, during August and September, it's almost impossible to find a last minute fare - so that was pretty much a pie-in-the-sky idea. It would have worked out, though, if RD had met them in Portland...
This is an important distinction. Thanks for clearing this up. Very much so a “oh we should totally do this!” sort of thing rather than a planned meeting. Happens all the time with my friends.

I'm guessing he might have smelled something. Since the water had just receded, you'd think there would have been a pretty strong odor.

I think both parents were pretty sure from the first that Brian might have taken his life, and they knew where he was going so they felt something had been overlooked.
And we never really saw LE do a grid search. It looked, to me, like LE was looking for a campfire or someone walking around. Not someone deceased hidden under brush or a body decomposing after weeks in heat, humidity, water ... most searches are grid work with LE covering every square foot of area. I did not want to criticize LE because conditions were tough that they were in - but all I saw were ATV and vehicles moving on open trails. Then to find the remains in the closest area to the park entrance and where the car was parked - that makes me critical of the search.

Ok, "keep away" might not be the right term.
Not in a friendly fashion but to be cruel or cause panic.
Yes, if I am holding my phone an angry domestic partner grabs it and refuses to let me have it back. it is illegal.
No one has the right to prevent you from making a call or text.
I would hope no one has done this to you.

It's so odd that the two 911 calls do not jive with each other.

One has BL slapping her and then jumping in the van and driving off (with no mention of Gabby attempting to climb through the driver side window, trying to grab her phone - and succeeding in getting inside the van).

Seems like the witness who saw BL drive off would have noticed that.

And no one mentions Gabby scratching BL, even though BL has scratch marks when LE catch up to them.
I have thought maybe the one witness only witnessed the altercation at the van, not the “running up and down the sidewalk”.

Do you have a source for that witness? We keep hearing this, but it's not in the 911 call that I can see (two of them). Or is it? Am I missing something?

Typically, LE observe injuries and ask the parties to the incident to give their version of events - I believe Gabby and Brian were both present at the event and both told the same story.
These are the links that respective responders to my posts have given.
Gabby Petito and Brian Laundrie argued 'aggressively': witness
Gabby Petito & Brian Laundrie Utah Bodycam Footage Transcript Before Disappearance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni