Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #77

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've thought about this many times. Was BL a liability to someone? Was a squatter living in the preserve? Was another fugitive hiding out there?
I believe they did find another fugitive in the reserve when they were searching for BL. Maybe this other fugitive was caught on their cameras and they though it was BL so that's why they shifted the search area away from where the Ls initially told LE they thought BL would be found.

So I thought when I read that the Laundries had sat in an LE SUV in the driveway for a time as their house was being searched and various equipment set up.

The popular opinion however was that any placement of listening or recording devices would have been illegal (eta: and or against their rights) *insert shrug emoji here :)

I think though it depends on whether the cameras are outside or inside the house. Inside they'd definitely need probable cause to get a judge to sign off on a warrant. And it's hard to see that they could have had that level of evidence before BL went missing. I remember one discussion here and it was about whether LE "bugged" their house (inside) And LE could not have done that legally without a warrant because we do have 4th Amendment rights. Getting a warrant to physically search is different from getting a warrant to bug a house. LE wouldn't have wanted to do it illegally because the evidence gathered wouldn't be admissable most likely. Fruit of the poisonous tree and all.

Outdoors is a different matter. People don't necessarily have an expectation of privacy outside. And courts have ruled LE doesn't need a warrant to place outdoor cameras. See link.

Police allowed to install cameras on private property without warrant

JMO

This is about last night’s Banfield interview. (I'm still going through it; 2nd time)

This was the first interview we have seen where SB was very calm – for the first 20 minutes anyway, and then he flipped back into what we know as vintage SB, MOO.

1. On the FBI call reporting BL missing:

[At 18:10] “So, it is correct that I notified the FBI. And, you’ll have to forgive me because the dates are blending together and, you know, and I spoke to the FBI today [that would be Friday 10/22] and they confirmed that it was well documented on their end that it was Thursday [that would be the day before they reported him missing – 9/16] and I was reminded that I specifically said, you know ‘Brian didn’t come home tonight. Would you come home, you know, having all the press and everything else going on out there.’.”

So he says Thursday here – at the point of the interview where he is still unusually calm for him based on our observations of his past interactions with the press (MOO). Later he insists he reported it Monday (approx. 21:00).

And, when he again later in this interview (39:45) insists that he told the FBI the very night Brian didn’t come home – which we know was well in advance of Thursday, he says, when pressed, that he just mentioned it in casual conversation, not really “reporting it” ("Lose the word ‘report,’ Ashleigh")

With respect to his statement here, that he told them the very night BL was gone, I’m not sure how much press was out there Monday night. I do know from BE’s Twitter feed of documented coverage that he got there on Tuesday 9/14, and when he reported from there that evening, it was pretty quiet. https://twitter.com/BrianEntin/status/1437972413136900100

In fact, IIRC from watching the actual news broadcast, BE made a statement that he wasn’t even sure anyone was in the house at all bc it was so dark and quiet.

SB cherry-picked out the Josh Taylor “I don’t know”. And, IMOO, we will see him rage over this when he realizes that we know this. MOO After the clip of the cherry-pick came out (in context) he screams at Banfield (37:21) “You wanna apologize to me now, Ashleigh?”

All of the above is JMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could it be that he was found at the border between the 2? That’s where they said that bridge was. JMO.
This is a good site with a map you can zoom. I cannot be sure, but it looks like the area BL's remains were found in is what used to be the Carlton Ranch, now renamed Big Slough Preserve. It is a piece of land seemingly belonging to Carlton Reserve, and adjoining Myakkahatchee Creek Environmental Park. The parking and entrance to Myakkahatchee Park, including the trail the remains were apparently found on, go right through this area, which I believe is still considered Carlton Reserve, but possibly an easement to Myakkahatchee. Any thoughts?

Myakkahatchee Creek Environmental Park | Visit Sarasota

Attachments

• CR.png
    CR.png
    81.4 KB · Views: 30
  • CR1.png
    CR1.png
    285.9 KB · Views: 25
THIS!!!! I think I'll wade into this gator infested swamp up to my armpits and shoot myself. No gun found. Before I was a translator, I was a cartographer (Close Encounters :) ) a map maker. Anyone have a topographical map of the game preserve and the area where the "remains" were found? A topographical map illustrates land elevations. If the area where the "remains" were found has a higher elevation than the rest of the park, it might NOT have been underwater, or may have only been inches under water for the last month or so. Land elevation is important.
MOO
That's exactly what is needed for clarity.
Makes no sense the dogs missed him under 4 feet of water or knee height water or suspended from the ethers. It's too weird.

This is about last night’s Banfield interview. (I'm still going through it; 2nd time)

This was the first interview we have seen where SB was very calm – for the first 20 minutes anyway, and then he flipped back into what we know as vintage SB, MOO.

[At 18:10] “So, it is correct that I notified the FBI. And, you’ll have to forgive me because the dates are blending together and, you know, and I spoke to the FBI today [that would be Friday 9/22] and they confirmed that it was well documented on their end that it was Thursday [that would be the day before they reported him missing – 9/16] and I was reminded that I specifically said, you know ‘Brian didn’t come home tonight. Would you come home, you know, having all the press and everything else going on out there.’.”

So he says Thursday here – at the point of the interview where he is still unusually calm for him based on our observations of his past interactions with the press (MOO). Later he insists he reported it Monday (approx. 21:00).

He later in this interview insists that he told the FBI the very night Brian didn’t come home – which we know was well in advance of Thursday. When pressed he says he just mentioned it in casual conversation, not really “reporting it” ("Lose the word ‘report,’ Ashleigh") (39:45)

With respect to his statement here, that he told then the very night BL was gone, I’m not sure how much press was out there Monday night. I do know from BE’s Twitter feed of documented coverage that he got there on Tuesday 9/14, and when he reported from there that evening, it was pretty quiet. https://twitter.com/BrianEntin/status/1437972413136900100

In fact, IIRC from watching the actual news broadcast, BE made a statement that he wasn’t even sure anyone was in the house at all bc it was so dark and quiet.

He cherry-picked out the Josh Taylor “I don’t know”. And, IMOO, we will see him rage over this when he realizes that we know this. MOO After the clip of the cherry-pick came out (in context) he screams at Banfield (37:21) “You wanna apologize to me now, Ashleigh?”

All of the above is JMO.
I'd say him and the FBIII will be having more conversations ... MOO :)

This is a good site with a map you can zoom. I cannot be sure, but it looks like the area BL's remains were found in is what used to be the Carlton Ranch, now renamed Big Slough Preserve. It is a piece of land seemingly belonging to Carlton Reserve, and adjoining Myakkahatchee Creek Environmental Park. The parking and entrance to Myakkahatchee Park, including the trail the remains were apparently found on, go right through this area, which I believe is still considered Carlton Reserve, but possibly an easement to Myakkahatchee. Any thoughts?

Myakkahatchee Creek Environmental Park | Visit Sarasota
Completely agree

Last night’s Banfield interview.

2. Date he was retained:

The NPPD was handed attorney contact information on Saturday, September 11th. https://twitter.com/BrianEntin/status/1438124117149028353

For those who have followed this closely, you will remember that SB initially refused to provide the date he was retained – because he did not know what evidence was out there I suspect (MOO) and now that he’s comfortable with what is public, for the first time in the Banfield interview (2:26), he states he was retained on 9/11.

Later in the interview (at 30:26) SB tells us:

1. NPPD contacted him at 11:30 p.m. Saturday night
2. FBI contacted him at 1:30 a.m. Sunday morning
3. 8:00 a.m. contacted by an FBI agent (who was assigned overnight I am guessing IMO) to be the liaison to him. MOO

This is a 'danged' if you do, 'danged' if you don't predicament. If he reveals he was retained on this matter prior to BL arriving home, he has provided evidence against his clients. If he goes with the 11th, he faces challenges to the prior conversations not being privileged. MOO IMO, I still believe he was contacted before BL returned home. MOO. Not fact.

3) Brian Laundrie already gone:

We now know Brian was already gone by Monday 9/13. We also know from the following report filed by Brian Entin, https://twitter.com/BrianEntin/status/1437912788899405826

that as of this date and continuing for the whole first week when they knew Brian Laundrie was already gone, police were expressing public frustration that Brian wouldn’t speak to them and, and they were issuing a plea to Bertolino to get his client to cooperate and they said nothing to correct this. Yet we know that Steven Bertolino didn't remain silent. Rather, he issued statements on the search for Gabby, all as he knew – according to HIS own claims of his report to the FBI, that Brian had already fled.

@BrianEntin

North Port, FL police say they have had conversations with Brian Laundrie's attorney - but he is not providing them the details they need.

12:04 PM · Sep 15, 2021
https://twitter.com/BrianEntin/status/1438171889248227332

Do we see how nothing SB says is consistent? Do we see how he had seemingly repeatedly boxed himself in, tried to get out, and got aggravated when the public and investigative journalists wouldn’t just accept his answers and let it go? MOO

The fact is that on those dates, the only person who was reported as “missing” was Gabby. https://twitter.com/BrianEntin/status/1438188373210959872

MOO, it was only after they got busted by news’ video evidence that the Mustang pick up could not have occurred Thursday because it was gone on Tuesday and back in the driveway on Wednesday that

1) the date was switched
2) SB contacted ethics committee re "Brian missing"
3) they filed a MP report

(Time 18:54). To me this whole sequence requires scrutiny. Because hearing his shifting narratives make it seems pretty clear (to me only) that they had no intention to report BL missing at the time he went missing, and that SB casually mentioning it to the FBI without reporting it, if this occurred, was only done to cover himself. They intended to let this go for as long as they could. MOO

At 19:40 he says told the FBI Monday, and he says the FBI believes that too and that the FBI knows that the day the parents’ child went missing could be confusing because they “blended together”? Really? The FBI said this? /s

All of the above is JMO only.

<snipepd for focus>Anyone have a topographical map of the game preserve and the area where the "remains" were found? A topographical map illustrates land elevations. If the area where the "remains" were found has a higher elevation than the rest of the park, it might NOT have been underwater, or may have only been inches under water for the last month or so. Land elevation is important.
MOO

Topographical map (pulled from https://www.mytopo.com/map.cfm)

(I think the area the remains were found were in the 34 grid square

Attachments

• bl-topo.jpg
    bl-topo.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 36
I've thought about this many times. Was BL a liability to someone? Was a squatter living in the preserve? Was another fugitive hiding out there?
There was another fugitive back there and LE took him into custody.
A Youtuber was posting about searching using FLIR and saw someone resembling BL at a deserted shack.
I believe LE thought they were on BL's trial and it turned out to be someone else, also wanted.
Wouldn't you know it?
The guy resembled BL.
jmho
SEVEN bodies and a fugitive found amid hunt for Brian Laundrie
According to reports, Florida man Ethan Waters, wanted over contempt of court and property damage charges, was captured on Saturday near Carlton Reserve, where the search for Laundrie, the 23-year-old fiance of slain woman Petito, has focused.

yes I totally agree with you, it's either one thing or the other - and ChL went to the park that night and searched for 4 hours or so for him - so the parents were worried.

Or possibly hanging hammocks- food bags out of reach of critters.

There is no doubt in my mind that the L parents were immorally silent in regards to Gabby and their own son.

I suspect they also acted illegally, although at this point, with their son dead, I can’t imagine there would be charges unless their possible illegal behavior is more egregious than I had imagined. MOO. IMO Laundrie parent behavior is a moot point.

I was wrong on where B would be found-I expected him to be found in the home of some snow bird by LE posing as an Uber eats driver. So take my next thoughts as speculation - and possible strike two.

I don’t think Brian left with the intent of taking his own life. The parents were way to complacent. Whether they were in any contact with him since he absconded, I don’t know. But ultimately, they became aware of the possibility that their son was dead (from the occasional truth teller, SB). Not the certainty. I feel they reacted to the news that remains were by his things more as if it were news rather than a confirmation of what they knew all along.

I also think Brian would have not packed so much to immediately kill himself. He wouldn’t have hiked in that far if he didn’t care if his body were found. And he would not have been in a favorite spot so near the entrance if he wanted never to be found.

I think he just died by accident eventually- dehydrated from impure water? Fell asleep and bleed out after a critter bit him? Infected injury? There are many possibilities.

Or... if in communication, and took his own life, he decided to do so after Gabby was found or after her manner of death or cause of death was released. In other words, after worse news than calls from Gabby’s family.

I really hope Gabby’s life brings brings some LE changes with DV reports.

MOO

Edit to add: Every November my family of omnivores can skeletonize a 22 pound Turkey in under an hour. I don’t think his condition of being all bone means he had been dead 3 weeks. MOO

Last edited:
So let’s say, hypothetically, that if an open records request for body cam footage surrounding the missing person report for Brian was denied stating something like: The City of North Port has reviewed your request and has determined that the records requested are exempt from disclosure per the following statutes: (119.071(2)(c)1)
This completes this hypothetical request. Hypothetically received 9/24.
What does it mean as far as criminal charges?
Statute: page 17
http://myfloridalegal.com/webfiles.nsf/wf/rmas-9h6k6f/$file/2014leguide.pdf
edited to correct date received.

Last edited:
Last night’s Banfield interview.

2. Date he was retained:

The NPPD was handed attorney contact information on Saturday, September 11th. https://twitter.com/BrianEntin/status/1438124117149028353

For those who have followed this closely, you will remember that SB initially refused to provide the date he was retained – because he did not know what evidence was out there I suspect (MOO) and now that he’s comfortable with what is public, for the first time in the Banfield interview (2:26), he states he was retained on 9/11.

Later in the interview (at 30:26) SB tells us:

1. NPPD contacted him at 11:30 p.m. Saturday night
2. FBI contacted him at 1:30 a.m. Sunday morning
3. 8:00 a.m. contacted by an FBI agent (who was assigned overnight I am guessing IMO) to be the liaison to him. MOO

This is a 'danged' if you do, 'danged' if you don't predicament. If he reveals he was retained on this matter prior to BL arriving home, he has provided evidence against his clients. If he goes with the 11th, he faces challenges to the prior conversations not being privileged. MOO IMO, I still believe he was contacted before BL returned home. MOO. Not fact.

3) Brian Laundrie already gone:

We now know Brian was already gone by Monday 9/13. We also know from the following report filed by Brian Entin, https://twitter.com/BrianEntin/status/1437912788899405826

that as of this date and continuing for the whole first week when they knew Brian Laundrie was already gone, police were expressing public frustration that Brian wouldn’t speak to them and, and they were issuing a plea to Bertolino to get his client to cooperate and they said nothing to correct this. Yet we know that Steven Bertolino didn't remain silent. Rather, he issued statements on the search for Gabby, all as he knew – according to HIS own claims of his report to the FBI, that Brian had already fled.

@BrianEntin

North Port, FL police say they have had conversations with Brian Laundrie's attorney - but he is not providing them the details they need.

12:04 PM · Sep 15, 2021
https://twitter.com/BrianEntin/status/1438171889248227332

Do we see how nothing SB says is consistent? Do we see how he had seemingly repeatedly boxed himself in, tried to get out, and got aggravated when the public and investigative journalists wouldn’t just accept his answers and let it go? MOO

The fact is that on those dates, the only person who was reported as “missing” was Gabby. https://twitter.com/BrianEntin/status/1438188373210959872

MOO, it was only after they got busted by news’ video evidence that the Mustang pick up could not have occurred Thursday because it was gone on Tuesday and back in the driveway on Wednesday that

1) the date was switched
2) SB contacted ethics committee re "Brian missing"
3) they filed a MP report

(Time 18:54). To me this whole sequence requires scrutiny. Because hearing his shifting narratives make it seems pretty clear (to me only) that they had no intention to report BL missing at the time he went missing, and that SB casually mentioning it to the FBI without reporting it, if this occurred, was only done to cover himself. They intended to let this go for as long as they could. MOO

At 19:40 he says told the FBI Monday, and he says the FBI believes that too and that the FBI knows that the day the parents’ child went missing could be confusing because they “blended together”? Really? The FBI said this? /s

All of the above is JMO only.
He reckons the FBI are his witnesses.
They no likey... wait and see..

I'm confused why the discrepancy of whether he left on the 13th or 14th really even matters? Like why would SB or the Ls even bother to change their tune about what date he left? Was it because they didn't want to be seen as going with him to the Reserve on the 14th (when they were later said to be out there searching for him) so as not to been as assisting him with a getaway? So they changed it to the 13th, so it would look more like they were actually only looking for him there on the 14th? Does it really even matter at this point? ? Or tried to lie and make it look like it was later because they waited so long to report? But then, told by LE there was camera footage of him leaving on the 13th, so they recanted and changed their date to the 13th?

Perhaps his punishment is in his next life when he comes back as a plastic water bottle, easily and quickly discarded?

I'm going to guess they wanted the date corrected because it didn't align with demonstrable facts (the videos.). And they preferred for people to think they have an awful memory rather than to be seen as giving him (more of) a head start? That's my guess....

Although I think I remember that in NS missing person report for GP, she stated NY as the location she was returning to, and listed the FL address as a previous address... So maybe they did move back to NY, or were planning to? JMO

(I see someone else posted this too... I'm way behind the flying pace of the thread!)

I believe that in an early interview GP’s mother talked about having a hard time getting someone to let her file the report. She eventually found a sympathetic officer in NY. Perhaps to report it in NY, she had to put that she was expected in NY even if not technically true. JMO and guess.

3) Brian Entin, News Nation

Brian Entin has been phenomenal. He has documented this case so completely and so thoroughly and I am thankful we have him on this case. MOO

If SB said something to the FBI “in passing” as JT stated, or “in casual conversation” as SB himself says, that is actually irrelevant at this point IMO. I tend to believe he made a passing comment bc I tend to believe he wanted to cover himself bc he knew Brian had fled. MOO He couched it in terms of “Well, would you come home if media was out there?” (MOO see 39:45). IMOO, this is nonsense. All nonsense. [26:50] It wasn’t until Friday evening that they reported him missing “so that [the FBI and local police] could put the resources into looking for him.”

[From 29:00 fwd:] Ashleigh Banfiels asks him: Why would you call them the very night and report him missing?

MOO, to protect himself - and he made certain to do it in a way that would not raise alarm bells.

Example:

If he called them Tuesday, well, that's an alarm bell for the police that he fled.

BUT...

If he called them Monday and simply says "Well, he hasn't come home yet - you know press and all, etc."

Far LESS alarm bells.

He revealed at 25:15 that he consulted with a state Bar ethics committee rep. on Thursday (before they reported him missing on Friday) on what to do about BL being gone. And, of course we now know that on Friday, they officially reported him missing.

If SB is reading these boards, the thing I’d say to him about consulting with an ethics rep: I think that was a very good idea, Mr. Bertolino. But I think you should have done much, much sooner. Or, better yet, I think you should have handled this case in a manner in which no ethics committee opinion would have been required.

This is all JMO.

Last edited:
IMO. No one saw BL leave on the 13th because BL was ALREADY gone.

Okay but what if....
NPPD actually have a record of BL on video, leaving in the Mustang 13th, but nobody was checking the footage at the time, or as per the neighbours, a neighbour's car was blocking a camera at an inopportune moment

Do we think that NPPD would release that video or bury it?
( Josh Taylor has already admitted in the Brian Entin tape y'day that the NPPD dropped the ball & they missed him)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zerofoxgiven