UT - Kylen Schulte, 24, & Crystal Beck, 38, newlywed couple found dead, Grand County, 18 Aug 2021

Imo some of Kylen's pictures appear as though she may have a lazy eye or something to that effect. It may make her eye movements look a little different. Just figured I would throw that out there, it is something I noticed when I first saw her pics.
That would explain it. I think that's what I'm seeing. It would be her left eye (eye on right as looking at her). I have seen this in other pictures as well.
I just looked up both of their obituaries. Kylen's has her date of death as 8/15 and Crystal's is listed as 8/18. I thought that was kind of strange.
I think that is kind of strange, as well. I wonder if LE might be keeping this from the public and only the families know. Could be...

Imo some of Kylen's pictures appear as though she may have a lazy eye or something to that effect. It may make her eye movements look a little different. Just figured I would throw that out there, it is something I noticed when I first saw her pics.
That would explain it. I think that's what I'm seeing. It would be her left eye (eye on right as looking at her). I have seen this in other pictures as well.
I just looked up both of their obituaries. Kylen's has her date of death as 8/15 and Crystal's is listed as 8/18. I thought that was kind of strange.
I think that is kind of strange, as well. I wonder if LE might be keeping this from the public and only the families know. Could be...
Looks like a bunch of game trails and powerline access tracks in the area. the line you show goes over a a fence that surrounds the "ranch".

"I dont think a random drunk from a wedding reception would stagger cross country and end up at the campsite and cause mayhem if that is what you have in mind".

the camping area is interesting though, looks like 3 campfire spots are accessed by the "driveway". Then there is the large wayside parking area along the forest road right above the campsites.

Lots of other spots where people could drive, camp and party are seen as well as the cow camp or ranch further down the forest road. Anyone driving to spots further in would likely be able to see the campsite on their way in

First time trying to quote here so it may appear wrong. I don't think you can count out the wedding party, though, it's still possible it could have happened. I was wondering if they might have crashed the reception or something.

The friend who found them (Aug 18th) stated that Kylen’s father screamed at her to return to her car for her own safety and she thought “it’s silly to think the killer would still there four days later.” Link at end. It sounds like the father & friend believe they were killed Aug 14/15, which accords with the Aug 15 obituary date.

It’s not uncommon for obituary writers in these situations to pick a death date - the date the person went missing, the date the person was discovered, etc. Abby & Libby have different dates in their obituaries, for example. And obviously Crystal’s obituary omits her marriage. It’s up to the writer, and the obituary doesn’t need to be accurate or complete.

My guess is that Kylen’s family picked day they believe she died and Crystal’s picked the day of discovery. I haven’t seen anything to suggest that Crystal died on the 18th or that they died on different days - correct me please :)

Footage Shows Last Time Slain Camping Couple Seen Alive

JMO

The friend who found them (Aug 18th) stated that Kylen’s father screamed at her to return to her car for her own safety and she thought “it’s silly to think the killer would still there four days later.” Link at end. It sounds like the father & friend believe they were killed Aug 14/15, which accords with the Aug 15 obituary date.

It’s not uncommon for obituary writers in these situations to pick a death date - the date the person went missing, the date the person was discovered, etc. Abby & Libby have different dates in their obituaries, for example. And obviously Crystal’s obituary omits her marriage. It’s up to the writer, and the obituary doesn’t need to be accurate or complete.

My guess is that Kylen’s family picked day they believe she died and Crystal’s picked the day of discovery. I haven’t seen anything to suggest that Crystal died on the 18th or that they died on different days - correct me please :)

Footage Shows Last Time Slain Camping Couple Seen Alive

JMO
Wait a minute! I thought she found Kylen in a stream up from the campsite. She says here she looked at a pile of dirt by the car and that's when she found Kylen. What?

First time trying to quote here so it may appear wrong. I don't think you can count out the wedding party, though, it's still possible it could have happened. I was wondering if they might have crashed the reception or something.

If they crashed the wedding dont you think witnesses would have come forward about that and we wouldn't be confused as to when they was last seen? And who kills over crashing a wedding?

Also when it comes to the dates of death being different we have already realised as to why... the family can choose when to put that they died as they were last seen on the 13th and was not found until the 18th so nobody actually knows yet anyway.

If they crashed the wedding dont you think witnesses would have come forward about that and we wouldn't be confused as to when they was last seen? And who kills over crashing a wedding?

Also when it comes to the dates of death being different we have already realised as to why... the family can choose when to put that they died as they were last seen on the 13th and was not found until the 18th so nobody actually knows yet anyway.
Ok, other's may have come forward but not necessarliy all true if someone is being protected, but probably highly doubtful. You don't know anything about this wedding party and what kind of family it was. Also, I didn't say they would be killed over crashing the wedding.<modsnip>

We all haven't "realised as to why". A few people have mentioned that some people list the date of death, in these circumstances, for differenent reasons. However, that doesn't mean it's absolutely true in this case. That hasn't been proven or corroborated by anyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
<modsnip - quoted post has been removed>
I'm sorry I'm just sleuthing here but I pulled up the campsite map from a prior post on this thread and the car and tent are quite aways from the creek where Kylen was found. This is not a pile of dirt next to the car...

upload_2021-10-24_12-11-33.jpeg

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 0
Obituaries are written by family or friends or funeral home staff; they are not legal documents and the information contained therein as to date of death may or may not be accurate in cases like these. As mentioned by other posters, families can make a choice whether they want to list the date of death as the date the person was found, the date they disappeared or a different date altogether. Accurate death dates would be given on legal documents such as unsealed autopsy reports, search warrants and probable cause statements.

Ok, other's may have come forward but not necessarliy all true if someone is being protected, but probably highly doubtful. You don't know anything about this wedding party and what kind of family it was. Also, I didn't say they would be killed over crashing the wedding.<modsnip>

We all haven't "realised as to why". A few people have mentioned that some people list the date of death, in these circumstances, for differenent reasons. However, that doesn't mean it's absolutely true in this case. That hasn't been proven or corroborated by anyone.

I dont know about you, but burying bodies early when they didnt know what date they died makes alot of sense for why the familys have said what dates they feel is right IMO Obituaries are written by family or friends or funeral home staff; they are not legal documents. (As yemelyan has stated quote)

Also I have done my research and I do know who's wedding was on the 14th. I have the telephone number and emails too which is pretty cool.

I was completing some paperwork at the funeral home this week and thought I would ask - they use the date(s) on the death certificate most of the time.
JMO
Unfortunately I'm likewise about to publish one for a friend. Newspapers require either info to come from a funeral home, which would have a death certificate, or a copy of the death certificate itself, to publish an obit. I think this all goes back to the time when Mark Twain famously announced "reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated", thereafter forcing newspapers to use verifiable info for publishing obits. MOO

Unfortunately I'm likewise about to publish one for a friend. Newspapers require either info to come from a funeral home, which would have a death certificate, or a copy of the death certificate itself, to publish an obit. I think this all goes back to the time when Mark Twain famously announced "reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated", thereafter forcing newspapers to use verifiable info for publishing obits. MOO

Makes alot of sense.

In some murder cases, the autopsies are sealed by a judge to protect an ongoing investigation. Has anyone read whether that has been done in this case?

Edited to add: they may not be complete yet, pending toxicology. Which could mean the official death certificate has not yet been issued. A pending death certificate may exist, but it may or may not contain the actual date of death yet. Different jurisdictions may handle this in different ways.

Last edited:
Watch Cindy's interview she says "she walked over the raised bank of dirt to the creek she didnt know was there and in the corner of her eye she saw kylen in the water of the creek"

On google earth you can see the raised bank she would of had to walk up. bless her she has health conditions aswell.

Glad you referred back to the map i posted also handy isnt it.

I wonder why the father was said to reverse his opinion that the gunshots should have been heard at the wedding venue.

I wonder if the Cedar Bend lodge has video of the road right there.

I see on zilow that the big ranch on the mesa below the campsite is a bison ranch offered for sale. The "creek" at the campsite is just an irrigation ditch which may or may not have running water depending on if it is fed by a gate or weir. The bank of dirt might be from originally digging out or subsequent repair of the ditch. Or someone dug a makeshift pond/pool. I think the ditch feeds water to the big irrigation pivots seen below on the buffalo ranch.

I'm not following the specific reference here but I believe there's definitely a difference between published obituaries in the newspaper (for a considerable fee) and the increasingly popular memorial tribute posted on a funeral or legacy website. MOO

If there is an accident, a homicide, a suicide, steps may have to be taken by the medical examiner before they can make a statement about the cause of death.
In the event of an unexpected death, an autopsy may be required. This can sometimes cause delays in the completion and filing of a death certificate.

Mod - I am not trying to get in trouble and I know all the rules and I am not incinuating or accusing anybody of anything. Just something I noticed. Anybody notice some strange connections with Gatorade bottles in this case. In the Gabby Petito police body cam videos in Moab there are hints at Gatorade. One, in the 2nd officer body cam video he opens the back door and there are two bottles of Gatorade on the back seat along with a case of bottled water on the floor. They offer Gabby gatorade when she already just asked for water (not if this part is in 1st or 2nd officer video). In the 1st officer video as the officer is seeing Gabby off at the end. Watch the Park Ranger lady walk by with a bottle of Gatorate she then returns within a couple of seconds and the Gatorade bottle is gone. Her vehicle is too far away to have walked all the way to her vehicle and placed it in there.

Also, in the 2nd police officer bodycam video when they are returning to the cruiser where Gabby is located to ask her if her intent was to hurt Brian when she hit him. The cop says "Set it up good" "Now set the whole thing up real good" or something to that effect. Then the Park Ranger lady says something like "Copy, it won't end up that way again" or something like that I can't understand the rest. Just something I noticed.
Whoa, I didn't notice that. Can you possibly link the video with a timestamp for where that happens? TIA

Mod - I am not trying to get in trouble and I know all the rules and I am not incinuating or accusing anybody of anything. Just something I noticed. Anybody notice some strange connections with Gatorade bottles in this case. In the Gabby Petito police body cam videos in Moab there are hints at Gatorade. One, in the 2nd officer body cam video he opens the back door and there are two bottles of Gatorade on the back seat along with a case of bottled water on the floor. They offer Gabby gatorade when she already just asked for water (not if this part is in 1st or 2nd officer video). In the 1st officer video as the officer is seeing Gabby off at the end. Watch the Park Ranger lady walk by with a bottle of Gatorate she then returns within a couple of seconds and the Gatorade bottle is gone. Her vehicle is too far away to have walked all the way to her vehicle and placed it in there.

Also, in the 2nd police officer bodycam video when they are returning to the cruiser where Gabby is located to ask her if her intent was to hurt Brian when she hit him. The cop says "Set it up good" "Now set the whole thing up real good" or something to that effect. Then the Park Ranger lady says something like "Copy, it won't end up that way again" or something like that I can't understand the rest. Just something I noticed.

If you watch the entire DV video in Moab, Gabby declines the Gatorade and asks for water. Brian refuses anything in a plastic bottle.

Gatorade is one of the most popular beverages sold in America and is especially popular in hot weather.

The only thing I found odd about the Gatorade was that it was found at Crystal and Kylen's camp. Given their hippie leanings, I would have guessed that Gatorade would not be a beverage that they would likely purchase and consume.

I'm not following the specific reference here but I believe there's definitely a difference between published obituaries in the newspaper (for a considerable fee) and the increasingly popular memorial tribute posted on a funeral or legacy website. MOO
I was addressing differences noted in dates of death for the couple. AFAIK you can't publish an obituary at legacy itself without first publishing it in a newspaper (https://www.legacy.com/submit-an-obituary-to-a-newspaper/). They seem to also collect ones from funeral homes. Either route would presumably require a death certificate. The rules for how rigorously the date of actual death is reported on the certificate may vary from state to state.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CourtandSims4
Back