Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #79

Status
Not open for further replies.
<modsnip>
We have this myth of the perfect victim - if they aren’t totally angelic and well behaved then they are no longer seen as the victim. But when one person has all the power, the person without power cannot be held responsible in any way for what happens since they have no choice in any of it.
There is nothing she did that that made someone wrap their hands around her throat and squeeze until her life was gone. Not the scratches on his face, not her hitting him, none of it. To say otherwise is the same as saying a rape victim is partially responsible because they were drunk.
Just no. The perpetrator is 100% responsible, always.
Yep! You want to know how to prevent rape, murder, assaults? Just don’t do those things. That’s how they’re prevented. JMO

Last edited by a moderator:
as linked above, it’s per the Petito attorney, who has pegged it as ‘Gabby’s bottle’.

also, imo clearly we can assume either Joe or Nicole told him it’s Gabby’s.
Thanks for this info. !
I was wondering about the water bottle and if it's legit. ?

Coffindorfer & Kaplan in the Mail said ' could', 'might' 'possibly'

Brian Laundrie's parents 'may have already spilled the secrets of Gabby Petito's murder to the FBI' | Daily Mail Online

well, that's the link I've seen shared widely

Notice the word "may" in the headline - and then look at the source ( a former FBI agent ). Daily Mail pays people to talk to them. What do former FBI agents know about current investigations (nothing, in a case like this, IMO). Why are they a former agent in the first place? Why is the perjorative word "spilling" in there?

And most of all - what did Brian's parents actually know?

SB's interview with NBC with regard to immunity.

Reporter

Steve do you think your client's, the Laundrie's, Brian's parents will eventually be charged with crimes?

SB
I have no reason to believe that.

Reporter
There has been some speculation out there, and again I understand you don't like to talk about speculation, that maybe some type of deal was cut. That they promised to co-operative with investigators to get some type of immunity. Any truth to that?

SB
I can tell you, no, there's no truth to that. What I can tell you is that conversations were had several weeks ago with the FBI, with respect to certain charges. When questioned and when communications were had between myself and the FBI, I think it was realised that charges were not appropriate. There was never a threat, there was never a coercion. There was never a deal cut.

This is the first thing SB said that makes sense to me. This happens all the time.

Here's an imaginary scenario based on actual conversations I have had representing witnesses in federal investigations:

FBI: Look, we don't think your clients are cooperating enough. We searched Carlton Reserve, he's not there. If we find out your clients knew he planned to run away and assisted in his escape, they can be liable as accessories after the fact. We know they helped him, they were photographed bringing meal kit boxes outside.
SB: On the advice of counsel, my clients are not going to do your job for you. My clients do not need to prosecute their own son, who ran away in the middle of an episode. That's your job. We already handed over their phones, emails, and GPS information - what you'll see is 2 panicked parents who have no idea where their son is but they're worried he's hanging from a tree at Myakkahatchee Creek park. They have not spoken to him since he walked out the door on 9/13 and you will find no evidence otherwise because none exists.
FBI: Well, we'll review the records. We still think your clients should provide more information including what Brian may have said about Gabby. You know how it looks for them, if they help us it can turn things around for them. If we find one untrue statement from them, we will be looking into charges.
SB: They have no idea where he is. We are the ones who filed the missing persons report. Once you review the records you'll see they had no idea. They were ready to protect their son as you know, they didn't want him to end up dead. Otherwise, I am advising them not to speak to you further as it's clear you will look for any speaking mistake to threaten my clients further.

That's how you get threatened with charges and then charges are not brought because there's no evidence to support the claims.

Last edited:
I remember a bunch of us here, including myself, questioning the FBI's decision to spend so much time searching Carlton Reserve. We were hoping they had more to go on than just the Laundries' words. The situation has changed now. We have more info. So, if the Laundries told LE from the beginning he was at the Reserve and then LE found him there, I don't see how we can continue to blame them for not cooperating. If they were trying to misdirect LE why not choose another large swampy park?

I think it's all semantics. He could say that at the time of that interview the deal was up in the air but not official (as in signed), yada, yada, yada. He can basically say whatever he wants to MSM. He's under no obligation to be truthful. IMO.
bbm
Unfortunately, no, he is not.
His words in the past esp. the A.B. interview leave lingering doubts.
Imo.

You are making such an important point in your post. We can learn so much from each other if we keep an open mind. Sure, we may have a primary theory, but it's good to let others poke holes in it, or offer opposing views. Many of these case are multi-dimensional, and even the most seasoned detective couldn't have predicted how many of them end.

In this particular case, I had it wrong myself. However, someone who has a LE hubby said he was sure that BL had done himself in. That was just after BL disappeared. It appears as if he was right, although it's doubtful we will ever know for certain.

One thing I do know for certain. Those who have continued to hang out in front of the L house and chant taunting and gruesome things should put that energy towards something more productive; like helping find the thousands of still missing. Someone said it so well in that we only need to look as far as our own neighborhoods, to find those in need of our help. A good message and reminder.

Amateur opinion and speculation

I completely agree! I have learned so much from the variety of opinions on this forum. They have made me consider things in ways that I may not have considered previously.
For me, a big part of the BL mystery, is how long was he in the area where his remains were found. Did he go there the first day and stay and somehow successfully hid from searchers or did he travel different places for weeks and eventually end up back at that spot. The only thing that could tell us how long the remains have been there is the time of death.
As crazy as events have been in this case so far, I would not dismiss the possibility of someone else killing BL and depositing his remains where they would eventually be found. IMO.

You are making such an important point in your post. We can learn so much from each other if we keep an open mind. Sure, we may have a primary theory, but it's good to let others poke holes in it, or offer opposing views. Many of these case are multi-dimensional, and even the most seasoned detective couldn't have predicted how many of them end.

In this particular case, I had it wrong myself. However, someone who has a LE hubby said he was sure that BL had done himself in. That was just after BL disappeared. It appears as if he was right, although it's doubtful we will ever know for certain.

One thing I do know for certain. Those who have continued to hang out in front of the L house and chant taunting and gruesome things should put that energy towards something more productive; like helping find the thousands of still missing. Someone said it so well in that we only need to look as far as our own neighborhoods, to find those in need of our help. A good message and reminder.

Amateur opinion and speculation
BBM, I think it is so weird that people are doing this. They have lost their son, they have lost life as they knew it. I don’t know what more these people want. MOO

Notice the word "may" in the headline - and then look at the source ( a former FBI agent ). Daily Mail pays people to talk to them. What do former FBI agents know about current investigations (nothing, in a case like this, IMO). Why are they a former agent in the first place? Why is the perjorative word "spilling" in there?

And most of all - what did Brian's parents actually know?
bbm
Thanks for addressing this important question. ^^^

The more threads that are added to Gabby's case, the more it seems like the questions are becoming the 'elephant in the room'.
Speculation : We may find out as the investigation proceeds.
This is a dual investigation due to Brian's death and possible suicide.
But I don't want Gabby to be forgotten.
Ever.
Imo.

oh no, that's not at all what i was suggesting...i don't know of anything that the laundries have done that would warrant any kind of immunity offer...i was simply stating that if this had happened, if the laundries were offered some sort of immunity in return for giving BL's location, that it would be shortsighted of the FBI/AUSA (or whoever would have offered such a deal) to not require him to actually be found alive in exchange for such immunity...moo

Got it. Thanks! But as long as LE didn't think the parents killed him, I'd think they'd be happy to have BL "dead or alive." Either way, they could quit following up every sighting of a bearded guy under 40 anywhere near the Appalachian Trail.

I think too immunity deals are usually for "information offered in good faith." If the honestly-offered info doesn't pan out, I don't think prosecution is back on tbe table unless the person had a really bad lawyer. And SB isn't IMO.

jmo

I completely agree! I have learned so much from the variety of opinions on this forum. They have made me consider things in ways that I may not have considered previously.
For me, a big part of the BL mystery, is how long was he in the area where his remains were found. Did he go there the first day and stay and somehow successfully hid from searchers or did he travel different places for weeks and eventually end up back at that spot. The only thing that could tell us how long the remains have been there is the time of death.
As crazy as events have been in this case so far, I would not dismiss the possibility of someone else killing BL and depositing his remains where they would eventually be found. IMO.
bbm
Theory : That is a very possible scenario.
How did LE miss this -- if they did ?
MOO.

Yep! You want to know how to prevent rape, murder, assaults? Just don’t do those things. That’s how they’re prevented. JMO

Somehow, I don't think the people reading this thread are the likely rapists and murderers.

And since I've worked in jails and mental hospitals (a specific interest in serial rapists, btw) I can assure you that simply saying words to them doesn't work. Incarcerating them doesn't work. And often, medication doesn't work either

"Just say no" is not a viable way of correcting mental illness or fixing the terrible childhood abuse that some have undergone.

In my personal view, the significance of the water bottle, if it really is GP's and not a fake, would be that BL actively chose to bring along something of GP's to the park that day. Something she kept with her, held, and touched to her mouth. That seems meaningful to me. Jmo.

But I'm sure I'm getting ahead of myself...

I appreciate all the varied viewpoints. We are here to sleuth. Links and ideas are helpful and speculation is often something I did not think about. Sometimes it is comforting to only read what I already believe (what is meaningful to me) -- it confirms I am right. Other times I want to explore more.

My speculation Only/Sleuthing here:

If, and seems a big if, the water bottle is Gabby's, we don't know the sentimental reason BL would take it with him. A lot of killers take a trophy to relive their crime later. So not knowing BL's state of mind, the sentiment could have been loving or extremely dark. No facts here only sleuthing.

MOO. Sorry for yelling.

Last edited:
SB's interview with NBC with regard to immunity.

Reporter

Steve do you think your client's, the Laundrie's, Brian's parents will eventually be charged with crimes?

SB
I have no reason to believe that.

Reporter
There has been some speculation out there, and again I understand you don't like to talk about speculation, that maybe some type of deal was cut. That they promised to co-operative with investigators to get some type of immunity. Any truth to that?

SB
I can tell you, no, there's no truth to that. What I can tell you is that conversations were had several weeks ago with the FBI, with respect to certain charges. When questioned and when communications were had between myself and the FBI, I think it was realised that charges were not appropriate. There was never a threat, there was never a coercion. There was never a deal cut.
Bless you for posting that! I don't generally ask for links without trying to find them myself first. But I had no luck when I did a search for information about an immunity deal in this case.

Much appreciated!

BBM, I think it is so weird that people are doing this. They have lost their son, they have lost life as they knew it. I don’t know what more these people want. MOO
I want to know what story their son told them about Gabby and why they refused to respond to her family's inquiries. jmo As for the jackals at their door, they are just doing what jackals do. They have no real interest in the case except that they like the cameras and attention.

Last edited:
It's my understanding that FBI is in charge and they are asking NPPD to conduct searches, etc.
I know that Taylor sometimes directs the press to the FBI for answers to their questions.
He did it today.
Looking at that water bottle, it looks a little cleaner than I would expect a weather bottle to look after well after a month. I hope it is printed and scanned for DNA, if able. It looks pretty new to me. If it is Brian and Gabby’s bottle, then great job REI!

Michael Ruiz
@mikerreports

Update from Taylor: “Earlier today I was told there were some reports that turned out to be nothing. If something was found after that, I don't know. Again, the question about possible materials found should be directed to the fbi as it is their case.”
Michael Ruiz
@mikerreports
FBI has not yet responded to my inquiries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd