Alec Baldwin fired prop gun, killing 1 on movie set, Oct 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guns are “not really problematic unless put in the wrong hands,” the rookie armorer on the set of Alec Baldwin’s ill-fated movie “Rust” said last month on a podcast.

“I think the best part about my job is just showing people who are normally kind of freaked out by guns, like, how safe they can be,” the armorer, Hannah Gutierrez-Reed, said on the Voices of the Westpodcast. “A lot of it, for me, is just being able to show the world, like, you know, guns are awesome.”

- was in charge of weapons on the set of “Rust.”
- As the armorer on the set, Gutierrez-Reed was supposed to make sure that the guns being used in “Rust” were secure and safe to use.
- Gutierrez-Reed “set up” the prop gun.

Armorer on Baldwin set said guns are dangerous only 'in the wrong hands'

Has anyone explained why actual bullets would be present in the first place? Where did they come from - someone had to bring them to the set.

I don't believe anyone has give a comprehensive explanation as to why there was live ammunition on that particular set.

As a side note, the various movie industry sources cited by forum members seems to paint a mixed modern art picture regarding live ammunition on movie sets:

"Live ammunition never used on sets I've worked- dont know about others" - to- "Live ammunition used routinely for effects- with a rigorous s.o.p" - to - "Live ammunition not usually used on sets, but if it were to be needed..... ."

My guess is that the live ammunition was there for effects as none of the participants have categorically stated that it should never have been there.

Well - she was the one who was ultimately responsible for what ammo was in the gun.

What do you think about her skills, really? How can you think one job experience was enough, given what happened?

She WAS the safety standard - the head armorer! She was supposed to train others (and actors are supposed to be shown the ammo inside the gun and watch it being loaded). She's supposed to stand there and prevent any kind of misuse (such as shooting at a camera without the rest of the crew 50 or more feet away - and she's supposed to insure that the camera is controlled remotely if the shot is toward the camera). I doubt she had even read the script, actually. So I consider her to still be highly inexperienced and whatever nerves she had earlier, she ought to have had that day - when she stepped into some other person's shoes after THAT person (who was way more experienced) said the set was unsafe.
She didn't step into anyone's shoes as far as I can tell-that was bad reporting. The people who left were the camera crew. She was the movie's head armorer from the start.

I don't believe anyone has give a comprehensive explanation as to why there was live ammunition on that particular set.

As a side note, the various movie industry sources cited by forum members seems to paint a mixed modern art picture regarding live ammunition on movie sets:

"Live ammunition never used on sets I've worked- dont know about others" - to- "Live ammunition used routinely for effects- with a rigorous s.o.p" - to - "Live ammunition not usually used on sets, but if it were to be needed..... ."

My guess is that the live ammunition was there for effects as none of the participants have categorically stated that it should never have been there.
Supposedly the crew were using guns for target practice with live ammunition (at least according to tmz).

BBM: Blanks and live rounds look very different. Nobody checked this gun before it was given to Baldwin. The armorer, the assistant director, or the actor. JMO
Gun should have been empty as far as I can tell. No blanks, no bullets-they were still rehearsing. AD definitely didn't check it, or he wouldn't have declared it a "cold" gun, as far as I am concerned.

She didn't step into anyone's shoes as far as I can tell-that was bad reporting. The people who left were the camera crew. She was the movie's head armorer from the start.

Hmmm. So why was it reported in several sources that. there was no armorer on the roster.

I'd love a citation for that (don't feel like you have to dig it out, though). At any rate, LE has the actual roster and probably will reveal some details at some point. It is, after all, a homicide investigation at this point.

If they rule it an accident, they may release details right away - we'll see. I do see her now listed on IMDB as "armorer" but she's in the "art department," which is weird. Usually, an armorer is part of the stunt department or camera crew, for fairly obvious reasons.

She'll never work in Hollywood again, because she's now the scapegoat for this whole mess. They should have had her answer to the stunt coordinator, and each day's briefing should have included stunts, camera people, set coordinator - and medic.

Never good to have only one person lay eyes on live rounds (which ought to have been on the set in the first place). As armorer, she should have ordered all the ammunition - and I truly don't believe that young woman ordered live rounds. Someone else procured them. Someone acted as armorer and entered the storage area and handled the guns - I don't believe it was she who put the live rounds in (and if she did, ooo boy, she ought not to have been head armorer, still needed supervision).

Gun should have been empty as far as I can tell. No blanks, no bullets-they were still rehearsing. AD definitely didn't check it, or he wouldn't have declared it a "cold" gun, as far as I am concerned.

This is totally true. Gun should have been empty. Even a 7 year old can check a revolver for that. The AD is an idiot, but apparently that was already well known (and a hot head, apparently).

I hate that this young woman is getting so much of the blame and that a woman cinematographer is dead (a woman who complained about safety on set) and I hope the producers in charge of hiring and the AD are subject to something - some kind of charges in this negligent homicide. Someone needs to be charged, this was not an "accident" any more than leaving a kid in a hot car is an "accident" or firing a supposedly unloaded gun at someone is "an accident."

My husband works for the film industry. This situation is talk all around and people are very, very angry. They are not as angry at the crew or the actors, they are angry at the owners. They are angry at production! He is a medic for film and has been in the industry for 25 years. He knows his stuff and is highly thought of in the industry. The medic union is currently ready to go on strike because their contract ended in July and they are not being offered fair compensation.

Before marrying my husband, I had NO idea what Hollywood is like behind the scenes. Let me tell you, I know WAY too much now! Everyone thinks Hollywood is all glamour. Let me assure you, it is NOT. Yes, he is not an actor, and actors ARE treated differently, but Hollywood stinks! They work their crews 18-24+ hours a day. I kid you not! The reason the union is possibly going on strike is because they are making them work through their lunch (no breaks - and no penalties for not providing the break), they are not given long enough turn arounds (this means from end of shooting one day to beginning of shooting the following day)(again no penalties for no turn around), they have also reduced the compensation for working 7 days a week back-to-back-to-back. These crews can be run in to the ground by production who do not care about the workers. On certain sets, they are absolutely treated differently. If they had to pay the penalties (double time), the cost may be just prohibitive enough for the owners to change their unrealistic deadlines.

The fact that the crew walked off tells me a lot! The fact that non-union was brought in tells me a lot! People who do not regularly work in Hollywood and on film sets do NOT understand the pressure, the rules, the way that things should be done. Production often pushes and pushes and expects unrealistic deadlines. I do not blame AB even though I personally do not like him. I do think this situation highlighted exactly why the union my husband belongs to is going to strike if a better deal isn't made. Divorce is only one side effect of the terrible hours and conditions these people work in. Suicide, drug abuse, domestic violence... There are epidemics in the business that exist because they work under horrible stress and deadlines. Yes, they do get paid a good wage, but there is no work-life balance!

Thank you for inside info. Behind the scenes often is different than what the public ever sees.

What do you mean by “owners” in your 3rd sentence? Who are they, I’m just curious. TIA

This is totally true. Gun should have been empty. Even a 7 year old can check a revolver for that. The AD is an idiot, but apparently that was already well known (and a hot head, apparently).

I hate that this young woman is getting so much of the blame and that a woman cinematographer is dead (a woman who complained about safety on set) and I hope the producers in charge of hiring and the AD are subject to something - some kind of charges in this negligent homicide. Someone needs to be charged, this was not an "accident" any more than leaving a kid in a hot car is an "accident" or firing a supposedly unloaded gun at someone is "an accident."
The young woman "armorer" to me sounds extremely immature. She should have picked some other job not involving guns and other people's safety. I think she deserves all the blame she can get.

The young woman "armorer" to me sounds extremely immature. She should have picked some other job not involving guns and other people's safety. I think she deserves all the blame she can get.

Wow. IME, most young people make mistakes - but it's the people who hire them who are responsible. IMO. I'll drop the whole discussion. She thought she was on a movie set, where certain (union) rules were followed - but she wasn't.

I also see a scenario with lack of respect for the Armorer, and for the ownership of prop weapons.

Why were guns even available for what sounds like random people to use for target practice?

Why were people allowed to take weapons, put in real ammunition, and shoot at "targets"? Shouldnt the props be locked up at all times, as much to prevent theft or tampering?

And why was there even live ammo.?

Did the rest of the crew just run roughshod over The Armorer because she was young and less experienced and a woman they could intimidate?

Or did she allow this behaviour because she didn't know how to or want to be the one to shut all the goofing around with real weapons?

Hmmm. So why was it reported in several sources that. there was no armorer on the roster.

I'd love a citation for that (don't feel like you have to dig it out, though). At any rate, LE has the actual roster and probably will reveal some details at some point. It is, after all, a homicide investigation at this point.

If they rule it an accident, they may release details right away - we'll see. I do see her now listed on IMDB as "armorer" but she's in the "art department," which is weird. Usually, an armorer is part of the stunt department or camera crew, for fairly obvious reasons.

She'll never work in Hollywood again, because she's now the scapegoat for this whole mess. They should have had her answer to the stunt coordinator, and each day's briefing should have included stunts, camera people, set coordinator - and medic.

Never good to have only one person lay eyes on live rounds (which ought to have been on the set in the first place). As armorer, she should have ordered all the ammunition - and I truly don't believe that young woman ordered live rounds. Someone else procured them. Someone acted as armorer and entered the storage area and handled the guns - I don't believe it was she who put the live rounds in (and if she did, ooo boy, she ought not to have been head armorer, still needed supervision).

BBM
Could not agree more.

Would it have been her idea to volunteer to double as an assistant to the prop spec? Or to enact COVID rules that forced weapons to be left on carts outside in an uncontrolled environment? Did she misrepresent her experience level prior to being hired for the job? Did she train the AD to just blindly pick up a gun that had been left unsecured & declare it Cold without even checking? Did she train AB to wildly swing (& I say wildly swing because that's basically what a - presumably fast - cross-draw motion is) a gun around in an enclosed environment where others were working very nearby without having an Armeror, AD, or other qualified individual (assuming he didn't feel he himself were able to tell if a revolver was loaded - despite seemingly having been required to have some basic gun familiarity) show him that it was indeed empty? There only way I can see laying all of this blame at her feet is if she lied on her resume, offered to dbl as a prop master's assistant, and was the one who not only took the revolver off set to shoot live rounds and then left one in the gun and directly told the AD & AB that the gun was safe to swing around and treat as a fake gun in am unsafe environment. But I don't think I'm heading that she did all of that.

Well, her job is to be responsible for gun safety. As such she should make sure weapons are unloaded if they are supposed to be unloaded.
I don't know what was her idea and what wasn't, but she is the person responsible for gun safety and should be checking all weapons prior to giving them out. Basically, she is supposed to keep weapons with her, make sure they are loaded with blanks if they have to be loaded, and so on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998