Found Deceased IL - Jelani 'JJ' Day, 25, ISU grad student, missed class, Bloomington, 23 Aug 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Civil rights leader Rev. Jesse Jackson said Monday he doesn’t believe an autopsy report released Monday which indicated Illinois State University graduate student Jelani Day drowned in the Illinois River with no signs of injury before his death.

Jelani’s mother Carmen Bolden Day pleaded with students to push for state authorities to get involved.

“I want you all to just pester the state of Illinois attorney general’s office until he gets tired of everybody calling him, until he gets tired of filtering emails, until he gets tired of people asking him (to get someone on the case) because there’s something he can do,” Day said. “I need you all to help us because I need justice for Jelani.”

The Peru police chief has said previously the FBI declined to take lead in the investigation.

Day also dismissed the autopsy report, saying it’s part of a narrative that suggests her son would harm himself.

“It’s amazing to me that all these Black men that get killed somehow get associated with them doing something to themselves,” Day said. “Jelani was strong.”"
Rev. Jesse Jackson disputes Jelani Day’s autopsy report ahead of planned rally in Peru
I wasn’t aware that Rev. Jackson knew Jelani personally. I hope his mother finds the answers to quell the questions in her mind.

People perceived as being “strong” commit suicide too. Sometimes keeping up the image can become overwhelming. Expectations can become unmanageable burdens.
JMO

Last edited:
His phone was turned off at 9:20am on 08/24/21.
It was reported that he was at the dispensary at 9:17am.
Was the phone turned off before or immediately after he left the dispensary?

In the dispensary security photo, I noticed he had backed into the parking place at the dispensary and, even though his windows were tinted, there should be a view into the car from the front windows.
Surveillance also has him leaving the parking garage at ISU student center alone.

Jelani's body, however, was located very quickly and information already provided by his carrier (by subpoena) confirmed that Jelani powered off his phone at the Dispensary.

(RSBM)

Sorry - can you provide the link for where was that info came from (carrier subpoena confirmed JJ turning the phone off at the dispensary)? thanks in advance.

Something that also crosses my mind is that in jelani’s career as a family counselor in the addiction center, the bulk of his time there was very likely spent doing very little. I work with government grants in illinois, and MANY of these grant positions had very little to do due to covid shut downs…and the government Grant would keep paying (which pays for salaries). The bulk of the Grants didn’t care if u were working or not. We had employees that didn’t have to really ‘work’ for 16 months since their jobs involved meeting with people. Things didn’t really start up again until around June/July 2021. So he would have been overwhelmed by the change in pace when going back to college.
I'm also questioning if his hours with the Danville Rehab Center (New Directions) was negotiated "community service" in lieu of mandatory jail time for his traffic citations.

Many people assume incorrectly that driving on a suspended or revoked license is similar to any other petty traffic offense. In reality, driving on a suspended or revoked license is a criminal offense and can result in serious consequences. This offense is typically charged under 625 ILCS 5/6-303 of the Illinois Vehicle Code as a Class A misdemeanor, punishable by a maximum of 364 days in jail and $2,500.00 fine plus mandatory court assessments.

Driving on a Suspended or Revoked License | Cook County, Illinois Driving on a Suspended License Lawyer The Davis Law Group, P.C.

"Civil rights leader Rev. Jesse Jackson said Monday he doesn’t believe an autopsy report released Monday which indicated Illinois State University graduate student Jelani Day drowned in the Illinois River with no signs of injury before his death.

Jelani’s mother Carmen Bolden Day pleaded with students to push for state authorities to get involved.

“I want you all to just pester the state of Illinois attorney general’s office until he gets tired of everybody calling him, until he gets tired of filtering emails, until he gets tired of people asking him (to get someone on the case) because there’s something he can do,” Day said. “I need you all to help us because I need justice for Jelani.”

The Peru police chief has said previously the FBI declined to take lead in the investigation.

Day also dismissed the autopsy report, saying it’s part of a narrative that suggests her son would harm himself.

“It’s amazing to me that all these Black men that get killed somehow get associated with them doing something to themselves,” Day said. “Jelani was strong.”"
Rev. Jesse Jackson disputes Jelani Day’s autopsy report ahead of planned rally in Peru

I really don't know why their focus isn't on encouraging anyone who saw anything to come forward. Their entire focus is on chastising and changing investigators, who have said they still need to find out how he ended up in the water. That should be the goal.

Tbh if someone hears about this case now and thinks they have information (for example if they saw Jelani that day or had a conversation with him that might be relevant) but they look online first and see that their tip wouldn't align with the murder theory being pushed so hard, they might not call in the tip. The way his academic advisor was treated simply for sounding the alarm on his absence would give me pause for getting involved.

"
(snipped n bolded by me)
hmm...I think I can understand why JJ might not have felt he could tell his family about struggles and problems. o_O I know his mum is obviously suffering right now but....someone should be taking her aside and stop her from sharing statements like this. I feel like everyone around her is just encouraging her for outrage publicity :mad:

From the published calendar - I believe the week of Aug 21 - 27 was significant for Jelani relative to his missed meeting with the Department Director-- especially if the appointment had anything to do with course drops and department-approved adds with override.

2021 - Academic Calendar:

Summer Session

1st day of Classes - May 17
Summer Session Ends - Aug 6
Grades Due - Aug 10.

Fall Session

Classes Begin - Aug 17
First half semester ends - Oct 9
Second half semester begins - Oct 11

Thanksgiving Vacation - Nov 20

Classes resume - Nov 29
Last day classes - Dec 4
Eval period - Dec 4 - 10.
Fall semester ends - Dec 10
Grades Due - Dec 14

https://provost.illinoisstate.edu/downloads/Academic-Calendar-2018-2028.pdf

Last day to withdraw from University with full adjustment of charges | Events - Illinois State

Course drops and department-approved adds with override on My.IllinoisState.edu | Events - Illinois State

Last day to drop course with no withdrawal grade | Events - Illinois State

Deadline to put course on pass/no pass (pass/fail) or audit | Events - Illinois State

Last day for full adjustment of charges for course drops | Events - Illinois State

Perhaps he turned off his phone at the dispensary hoping it wouldn't show up in his location history?

It's too bad his phone hasn't been located. I speculate it would not show evidence he was planning to meet anyone but possibly give more insight into his state of mind. But you never know what could be gleaned from it. JMO.

It's too bad his phone hasn't been located. I speculate it would not show evidence he was planning to meet anyone but possibly give more insight into his state of mind. But you never know what could be gleaned from it. JMO.

I suppose he had his phone on him when he drowned and the phone is lost in the river, likely never to be found. :-(

(RSBM)

Sorry - can you provide the link for where was that info came from (carrier subpoena confirmed JJ turning the phone off at the dispensary)? thanks in advance.

I found an article that stated: Investigators obtained search warrants for electronic devices found in the car, [Bloomington Police Department spokesman John Fermon ] said. "We did find his last location was the Beyond Hello store ... we could look up to a certain point, and then it just stopped pretty much. His phone was either turned off or died," Fermon said. "The data wasn't there."

Jelani Day March to proceed Tuesday; Rev. Jackson unable to attend
PERU – The Jelani Day March and Rally will continue today at noon starting at the Peru Police Station, however a high profile civil rights activist won’t be among those attending.
It was announced Monday that due to a scheduling conflict the Reverend Jesse Jackson and supporters from his Rainbow PUSH Coalition will not be arriving via bus to the area.
The Rev. Jackson has claimed Day’s case looks similar to other racially motivated killings.
The LaSalle County Coroner announced that the preliminary cause of death of the man who was found in the Illinois River in September was drowning.
Jelani Day March to proceed Tuesday; Rev. Jackson unable to attend

i suppose that’s a possibility. I used to work with insurance, and it is NOT normal for those violations to simply be wiped away. He had someone pulling some strings there. Also, I think what we are witnessing with Carmen was how jelani was raised. There isn’t much regard for the law. I am beginning to feel sorry for the police department there, and that’s a lot coming from me.

Or, they were wiped away because he had no previous violations and was an upstanding citizen who had a very bright future ahead of him and completely respected the law.

I also think grace and sympathy are warranted for his mom whose distrust of law enforcement is completely valid<modsnip>. That kind of distrust stems from experience, not disrespect.

Last edited by a moderator:
Or, they were wiped away because he had no previous violations and was an upstanding citizen who had a very bright future ahead of him and completely respected the law.

I also think grace and sympathy are warranted for his mom whose distrust of law enforcement is completely valid<modsnip>. That kind of distrust stems from experience, not disrespect.
Actually, no, it’s not normal to wipe these away. Not at all. That requires money, or special favors.

Last edited by a moderator:
I found an article that stated: Investigators obtained search warrants for electronic devices found in the car, [Bloomington Police Department spokesman John Fermon ] said. "We did find his last location was the Beyond Hello store ... we could look up to a certain point, and then it just stopped pretty much. His phone was either turned off or died," Fermon said. "The data wasn't there."
Thank you @scriabina for the link from Bloomington PD presser with JF. I recall a search warrant issued for the abandoned vehicle but I wonder if Inside Edition has misquoted JF regarding electronic devices located inside the vehicle. It would be good to know exactly what devices were located since we've been told by family that his phone was never found. MOO

hmm...I think I can understand why JJ might not have felt he could tell his family about struggles and problems. o_O I know his mum is obviously suffering right now but....someone should be taking her aside and stop her from sharing statements like this. I feel like everyone around her is just encouraging her for outrage publicity :mad:

Good point. Strong people are sometimes like oak trees--they can hold up under immense loads, but when they run out of strength, they just break and crash down. I knew a guy like that in college--one morning we came in to class to the announcement he had died of self-inflicted carbon monoxide poisoning in his garage. I don't think he even knew how much he was struggling.

Good point. Strong people are sometimes like oak trees--they can hold up under immense loads, but when they run out of strength, they just break and crash down. I knew a guy like that in college--one morning we came in to class to the announcement he had died of self-inflicted carbon monoxide poisoning in his garage. I don't think he even knew how much he was struggling.
The 2018 suicide of Tyler Hilinski also comes to mind. :(

A family's search for why after QB's suicide

Just before 9 a.m. Tuesday, the Peru Police announced a change in the route of the march.

“Unfortunately, the route which was posted (Monday) cannot accommodate that request and has changed to assist the family with closure. The representative (from Rainbow PUSH) stated that due to the length of the route everyone involved will be in vehicles and caravan throughout the LaSalle-Peru area,” Peru Police Chief Robert Pyszka said in a statement.

Rainbow PUSH announced late Monday that it was no longer sending a bus from Chicago to the march, citing “unforeseen circumstances, inclement weather and an impromptu schedule change concerning Reverend Jesse Jackson Sr. and staff attending the General Assembly meeting of the Illinois State University’s Black Student Union” on Monday night.

Jackson himself was in Peru on Tuesday morning ahead of the march.

Crowds begin to arrive in Peru for Jelani Day demonstration

^^rsbm
Except a suspended driver's license is serious and public records show JD did not respect the law when he drove with a suspended license and continued to offend with his last citation for speeding on Aug 20, 2021.

Nobody is being disrespectful but sharing profiling evidence of what appears to be a pattern of the victim's struggle with impulse control. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks