Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #80

Status
Not open for further replies.
usually when you seek help, it is protected. You only retain them after the hear what they are getting into agree to it.

I had been told before that it isn't privileged until they are retained and paid the retainer fee.

I got the impression that they both started out sharing the vanlife vision (at least in substance). It has occurred to me, though, that there may have been a source of strife/tension that developed as GP gained her footing in the influencer world — a factor that could potentially explain some of BL’s lack of support and even possible resentment, hostility. (IMO, this would be on top of the main factors: behavioral and psychological concerns, likely exacerbated by being indefinitely “trapped in close quarters” with one another and being somewhat cut off from their usual support networks.)

I scrolled through GP’s Insta again last night. Comments were “limited”, which is not uncommon… But what I did find uncommon is that I noticed no males gushing about GP’s looks or hitting on her. A handful of females called her “beautiful”, etc., and two or more other accounts asked her to DM them to discuss collaboration opportunities—but that was it. Seeing how many people jumped into her comments after her disappearance hit the news, it’s clear one only has to follow to be allowed to post. So any garden variety SM wannabe Cassanova (I’m being polite here) could have followed her to share their range of “flattering” to disgusting opinions (as they do, especially when there’s some skin exposed, like in the beach pics, etc.). I didn’t see ONE. Might any “male gaze” comments have been removed—even the inoffensive ones? I also noticed—and this could be nothing more than an influencer’s stab at a new approach to crafting content—but many of the most recent posts (starting in July or August?) start mentioning (more than mentioning—almost lauding, venerating?) BL. Gushing about his bare feet, etc… Of course, it’s his account name that is used, not his given name, which makes perfect sense if she’s just trying to boost his exposure (and he had been tagging her a lot in his own posts—or, rather, at the ends of his posts, which is also common).

I’m probably guilty of reading into things because of what is known and suspected now. But whether or not comments were policed or content explicitly crafted to include BL, I do believe online fans, specifically online dudes, could have been stoking BL’s jealousy and triggering increased possessiveness. After all, it’s the kind of thing that can cause jealous feelings and arguments in healthier relationships than theirs…

MOO
Many threads back, I deduced GP and BL were NOT cut from anywhere near the same cloth. She: gregarious, wanting to build a community of environmentally friendly and responsible people, strong desire to influence those outcomes by working hard to keep her lines of communication open and tended - like a garden of like souls. A true "people person". He: A solitary type. Not so much interested in "influencing", but offering his view of a more iconoclastic, environmental experience. NOT a people person. When she posts, she gives her followers an expansive view and an invitation to participate, to embrace, to share the natural world responsibly. His posts are more a grudging peek into himself and his mobile monastery. They do meet on a cursory level, the preparations, the working toward a goal, the shared happiness of being "inside" the goal. I suspect their problems were deeper. He craved isolation as a solution to whatever in his life's experience drove him there. She wanted to embrace the world and everything in it. The deeper things. She was a nurturer, willing to go even so far as to take the blame for his lack of self-control and anger. He was, even in his manufactured world, excessively needy. He wanted a devoted pet. Ultimately, she would not be leashed. After their last public outburst, he lost it. She had said "NO" one too many times. She wouldn't give up this innate embrace of the world at large...for him. She wouldn't wear the leash...wouldn't cut herself entirely off for his sake...which put her in the enemy camp. His jealousy wasn't limited to just one person who happened to respond to her generous invitation to come together in love and responsible, environmental federation, his jealousy was universal.

Once she was dead, BL became the loneliest guy on the planet. In winning his worldless solitude, he had extinguished the light that would have illuminated it. He was left in utter darkness. Where does one go from there?
MOOing...as usual.

At this point, if I were the Laundries, I would do a quick sale of all my properties and move to France or Spain...south america somewhere far away. Take the daughter and family. Try to grieve in private. This case will haunt them. Gabby's family has support, they have none. But, they have feelings, too.

If Gabby's mom reaches out to them, have a private conversation. PRIVATE.
Not France thank you!

Stressed? Complaining? Why? This wasn't a vacation. In this case, they weren't on vacation. This was supposed to be, on the one hand, van-"life," and, on the other hand, their effort to build and grow an income. Spending 6 hours in a row working your job shouldn't really be considered a burden on the other person.
And if it is, then grown adults should be able to find something to occupy their time with.

I doubt that BL told his parents or his lawyer what really happened. The Laundrie's apparently made no effort at all to hide or dispose of the van sitting in their driveway for 11 days. It seems as if they were expecting GP or her family to come pick it up. As far as I know, they may have hired a lawyer thinking BL would be arrested for having the van, not for murder.

I suspect that as his initial story unraveled, his parents found themselves trapped in a no-win situation.

As long as it has teeth it really shouldn't be a problem for a semi-competent forensics lab to determine who it is, dental is used all the time in corpse identification.
Hopefully DNA will be completed by Forensic Anthropologist after the work on potentially finding COD of these human remains. Possibly not as they have ID as certain with dental records.

At this point, if I were the Laundries, I would do a quick sale of all my properties and move to France or Spain...south america somewhere far away. Take the daughter and family. Try to grieve in private. This case will haunt them. Gabby's family has support, they have none. But, they have feelings, too.

No one will notice them in California. Especially in a place away from the coast. Just move to Fresno or Bakersfield. But do it quietly.

I doubt that BL told his parents or his lawyer what really happened. The Laundrie's apparently made no effort at all to hide or dispose of the van sitting in their driveway for 11 days. It seems as if they were expecting GP or her family to come pick it up. As far as I know, they may have hired a lawyer thinking BL would be arrested for having the van, not for murder.

I suspect that as his initial story unraveled, his parents found themselves trapped in a no-win situation.
Agree. And whatever he told them, made them decide not to contact G's family and not to respond to them if they tried to get in touch. So, I doubt that he told them what really happened. But after the desperate calls on the 10th, they had to know that sonny boy had lied to them in a BIG way. jmo

Stressed? Complaining? Why? This wasn't a vacation. In this case, they weren't on vacation. This was supposed to be, on the one hand, van-"life," and, on the other hand, their effort to build and grow an income. Spending 6 hours in a row working your job shouldn't really be considered a burden on the other person.
Six hours of work on the inside during the day majorly interferes with getting new footage to be edited later. Maybe that was his concern? If so, it kind of sounds like a legitimate thing.

LE is not going to tell them where Brian is. Where an adult is currently located is private information. That would be a violation of privacy. They could have asked LE to ask Brian to contact them, but they decided not to, I guess. Brian had just spent 10 days with them so perhaps they decided to give him some space. I mean, Brian could contact them or go back home any time he felt like it, right? So it seems they decided to respect the fact that Brian apparently wanted some alone time. Seems perfectly normal to me.

And they knew Brian wasn't picked up, because his lawyer would have been notified.

i see what you’re saying, but I know I still would have made that call, regardless if I thought the police would tell me his whereabouts or not. Just to calm my own fears if nothing else. And to calm any notion of the thought that he may be being held without being allowed to contact his lawyer.

I believe it probably would have been too late on that Thursday the 16th anyway, as I think Brian probably committed suicide fairly soon after the 13th.

So I guess in the end it doesn’t really matter. It’s just another strange little tidbit to me in this story of a million strange tidbits!

Just wanted to say something about Gabby's time of death her dad said something about it looking like there was a clearing for a tent setup and a fire pit because there was a circle of rocks on the ground and her hiking shoes were left outside which makes me think that she took her shoes off to go into the tent and then she must have never left the tent on her own because the first thing she would have done was put her shoes back on. since she didn't text her friend on her birthday obviously she was gone by then. I think the door closing of the van in the YouTube video was Brian returning to the van after killing her after he had grabbed the tent and supplies but left her shoes? So I think she was killed the evening of the 27th.

People don't necessarily put their boots back on (it's a pain). Usually, the person uses flip-flops in the evening hours and puts socks back on if it's cold (it was going to get down to about 40F that night).

Indeed, people sometimes just leave their boots out to air, planning to put them on in the morning, for a hike.

But I agree, it's very likely the tent was right there.

Odd that he couldn't pick up/touch her shoes - but goes to state of mind (some form of denial/disassociation - not enough to impair planning and driving though).

I had been told before that it isn't privileged until they are retained and paid the retainer fee.

That's not correct as a flat statement. I'll say this: if you seek legal counsel or advice from an attorney, even preliminarily, and they are unwilling to address privilege or confidentiality, then stay away from that lawyer.

That screams pressure to make you engage them prematurely, which imo suggests a whole bunch about their potential character and ethics. Note I'm not saying retainers are wrong (at all!), or that an attorney should perform for free: They don't have to take you on as a client, but duties of privilege and confidentiality do not have a market price.

And fyi - a retainer is NOT a required condition for an attorney-client relationship. Payment is not a requirement for the relationship and its obligations to exist. An attorney-client relationship can be imputed from much less.

No one will notice them in California. Especially in a place away from the coast. Just move to Fresno or Bakersfield. But do it quietly.

You're probably right.

I thought a foreign country at first as I have family and friends in France and Spain. Also south of the border and have found them on average less judgmental. It will not be easy for them for sure.

Six hours of work on the inside during the day majorly interferes with getting new footage to be edited later. Maybe that was his concern? If so, it kind of sounds like a legitimate thing.

If they really wanted their channel to take off, they had to do both. IIRC, they had reservations for more than one night at Arches (or at least Gabby discussed that on Dyrt, IIRC). They had been to three NP's and one national monument, had a bunch of footage, she wanted to get something on the channel.

They didn't spend hours and hours taking photos at each park, at least in terms of what she posted (a lot of it is on her Insta). Editing and compiling and adding sound takes time. 6 hours is nothing. And she had to do it where there was wifi - no wifi in Arches...and I don't think the original plan was for her to stay in a hotel in SLC.

By my estimate, they had a lot of footage that was just sitting there - she had enough for 2 more Van Life videos, at least (going by what's on Insta).

You're probably right.

I thought a foreign country at first as I have family and friends in France and Spain. Also south of the border and have found them on average less judgmental. It will not be easy for them for sure.

Put the new house in a trust (it can be named anything), be hard for the press to find them. And there's so little local media in the Central Valley or Foothills of California - they're used to heat, it's actually more comfortable most of the year than Florida would be. But they'd miss their grandkids.

They seem like they may be the type to try and tough it out.

Many threads back, I deduced GP and BL were NOT cut from anywhere near the same cloth. She: gregarious, wanting to build a community of environmentally friendly and responsible people, strong desire to influence those outcomes by working hard to keep her lines of communication open and tended - like a garden of like souls. A true "people person". He: A solitary type. Not so much interested in "influencing", but offering his view of a more iconoclastic, environmental experience. NOT a people person. When she posts, she gives her followers an expansive view and an invitation to participate, to embrace, to share the natural world responsibly. His posts are more a grudging peek into himself and his mobile monastery. They do meet on a cursory level, the preparations, the working toward a goal, the shared happiness of being "inside" the goal. I suspect their problems were deeper. He craved isolation as a solution to whatever in his life's experience drove him there. She wanted to embrace the world and everything in it. The deeper things. She was a nurturer, willing to go even so far as to take the blame for his lack of self-control and anger. He was, even in his manufactured world, excessively needy. He wanted a devoted pet. Ultimately, she would not be leashed. After their last public outburst, he lost it. She had said "NO" one too many times. She wouldn't give up this innate embrace of the world at large...for him. She wouldn't wear the leash...wouldn't cut herself entirely off for his sake...which put her in the enemy camp. His jealousy wasn't limited to just one person who happened to respond to her generous invitation to come together in love and responsible, environmental federation, his jealousy was universal.

Once she was dead, BL became the loneliest guy on the planet. In winning his worldless solitude, he had extinguished the light that would have illuminated it. He was left in utter darkness. Where does one go from there?
MOOing...as usual.

Maybe. Though in some article or other posted here, at least one person from high school described them both as sort of loners who found each other. And she has not been described as having a large circle of friends, nor have we (I mean "I") seen where she was up on friends' social media or in touch with anyone other than BL, RD, and her own family.

That's not correct as a flat statement. I'll say this: if you seek legal counsel or advice from an attorney, even preliminarily, and they are unwilling to address privilege or confidentiality, then stay away from that lawyer.

That screams pressure to make you engage them prematurely, which imo suggests a whole bunch about their potential character and ethics. Note I'm not saying retainers are wrong (at all!), or that an attorney should perform for free: They don't have to take you on as a client, but duties of privilege and confidentiality do not have a market price.

And fyi - a retainer is NOT a required condition for an attorney-client relationship. Payment is not a requirement for the relationship and its obligations to exist. An attorney-client relationship can be imputed from much less.
I guess that's what SB is banking on. jmo

That is good to know. This was from a divorce matter, nothing criminal, though I imagine the same rules apply regardless. I appreciate all of the information you post on this forum. It helps to clear up a lot of grey areas! IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member