Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #80

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question: Is LE looking for more of BL still? Or did they stop? Because I don't have a lot of faith in their searching skills. Not a slam on LE; just an observation, MOO. They need to take a look, try to understand how water would have flowed, look at animal trails (the very small, low trails like raccoons make), look very carefully. MOO.

Maybe. Though in some article or other posted here, at least one person from high school described them both as sort of loners who found each other. And she has not been described as having a large circle of friends, nor have we (I mean "I") seen where she was up on friends' social media or in touch with anyone other than BL, RD, and her own family.

I would imagine that BL kept her from having many friends. Isolating a partner from loved ones and friends, jealousy, feelings of inadequacy compared to others in her life, etc. are all hallmarks of the type of relationship they appeared to be in. IMO.

Should have had a long talk with BL when BL became his client jointly with the parents, on the 11th. But SB says he spoke with BL on the 12th and 13th. ????

This appears to have all happened surrounding the midnight hour between Sept. 11th & Sept. 12th.

In the AB interview, SB admitted he spoke with BL on the 12th & the 13th.
SB could very well have spoken to BL shortly after midnight, hence the 12th.

*Note that SB omitted saying that he spoke with BL before the 12th & the 13th, instead saying:
"any conversations on the 11th and before is off limits"
This is a Red Flag, imo.

I thoroughly believe SB spoke with at least CL (about Gabby & BL's involvement) in his role as a friend prior to 11:30 pm on the 11th, what SB now claims was the time of the 1st call on this matter
and he specifically stressed to AB that any conversations between Sept 1st and Sept 11th are off limits.

I'm willing to bet that very shortly after or during that 11:30 conversation on the 11th, is when SB realized/decided he should be officially retained . IMO

Note* Gabby's van was towed at approx. 11:00 pm on Sept 11th...
approx. 1/2 hour before that 11:30 pm call.

Last edited:
The Laundries searched the next day after Brian left. Then LE kept saying they knew where he was. LE is not going to tell the Laundries where Brian is because that is private information, so there is no point in asking. You don't file a missing person report on somebody when LE says they know where that person is. It wasn't until the Laundries finally found out that Brian was truly missing that a missing person report was filed.

So you think neither the attorney nor the Laundries would even ask where Brian is? I don’t think so, does not add up. LE called SB about the Tampa tip, they were not keeping the search secret MOO

Last edited:
I guess that's what SB is banking on. jmo
It's not something you really have to "bank on." It simply isn't a requirement. And, as per my prior comments this morning, in this case, where SB has been their attorney for years and years, even if they had)which they didn't) some agreement that literally said "each transaction I work with you on is a limited representation and ends the day the deal closes, after which point I am not your lawyer even if you communicate with me privately for legal advice," they
would probably still have the benefit of privilege and it is likely an attorney client relationship would be imputed when they approached him about the GP/BL stuff.

Typically, an attorney intending not to have the A-c relationship extend beyond a specific matter would formally withdraw. Anyone who's been divorced and engaged an attorney for that purpose likely saw the filing that stated that the attorney's representation is terminated as of the date the decree is issued by the court. That's an effort to cap their obligations of all types, end the A-c relationship. Even then, though, if you call them up in year with a new issue and they proceed to give you specific legal advice, then they're acting as an attorney and owe you those duties even before you sign a new agreement or pay any sort of fee.

This appears to have all happened surrounding the midnight hour between Sept. 11th & Sept. 12th.

In the AB interview, SB admitted he spoke with BL on the 12th & the 13th.
SB could very well have spoken to BL shortly after midnight, hence the 12th.

*Note that SB omitted saying that he spoke with BL before the 12th & the 13th, instead saying:
"any conversations on the 11th and before is off limits"
This is a Red Flag, imo.

I thoroughly believe SB spoke with at least CL (about Gabby & BL's involvement) in his role as a friend prior to 11:30 pm on the 11th, what SB now claims was the time of the 1st call on this matter
and he specifically stressed to AB that any conversations between Sept 1st and Sept 11th are off limits.

I'm willing to bet that very shortly after or during that 11:30 conversation on the 11th, is when SB realized/decided he should be officially retained . IMO

Note* Gabby's van was towed at approx. 11:00 pm on Sept 11th...
approx. 1/2 hour before that 11:30 pm call.
bbm
That makes it sound as though there's something he wants to keep concealed.
Imo.

Many threads back, I deduced GP and BL were NOT cut from anywhere near the same cloth. She: gregarious, wanting to build a community of environmentally friendly and responsible people, strong desire to influence those outcomes by working hard to keep her lines of communication open and tended - like a garden of like souls. A true "people person". He: A solitary type. Not so much interested in "influencing", but offering his view of a more iconoclastic, environmental experience. NOT a people person. When she posts, she gives her followers an expansive view and an invitation to participate, to embrace, to share the natural world responsibly. His posts are more a grudging peek into himself and his mobile monastery. They do meet on a cursory level, the preparations, the working toward a goal, the shared happiness of being "inside" the goal. I suspect their problems were deeper. He craved isolation as a solution to whatever in his life's experience drove him there. She wanted to embrace the world and everything in it. The deeper things. She was a nurturer, willing to go even so far as to take the blame for his lack of self-control and anger. He was, even in his manufactured world, excessively needy. He wanted a devoted pet. Ultimately, she would not be leashed. After their last public outburst, he lost it. She had said "NO" one too many times. She wouldn't give up this innate embrace of the world at large...for him. She wouldn't wear the leash...wouldn't cut herself entirely off for his sake...which put her in the enemy camp. His jealousy wasn't limited to just one person who happened to respond to her generous invitation to come together in love and responsible, environmental federation, his jealousy was universal.

Once she was dead, BL became the loneliest guy on the planet. In winning his worldless solitude, he had extinguished the light that would have illuminated it. He was left in utter darkness. Where does one go from there?
MOOing...as usual.
That would actually make a great book! I havent really seen that much detail about either one of them though.

If they really wanted their channel to take off, they had to do both. IIRC, they had reservations for more than one night at Arches (or at least Gabby discussed that on Dyrt, IIRC). They had been to three NP's and one national monument, had a bunch of footage, she wanted to get something on the channel.

They didn't spend hours and hours taking photos at each park, at least in terms of what she posted (a lot of it is on her Insta). Editing and compiling and adding sound takes time. 6 hours is nothing. And she had to do it where there was wifi - no wifi in Arches...and I don't think the original plan was for her to stay in a hotel in SLC.

By my estimate, they had a lot of footage that was just sitting there - she had enough for 2 more Van Life videos, at least (going by what's on Insta).
I hope Gabby's family has access to her unseen footage !!
MOO.

That is good to know. This was from a divorce matter, nothing criminal, though I imagine the same rules apply regardless. I appreciate all of the information you post on this forum. It helps to clear up a lot of grey areas! IMO.

Funny - before reading this comment I used a divorce attorney as a typical case where attorneys aim to define their representation very clearly (typically resigning as of the date the divorce is granted). And disclosure + refusal to provide specific legal advice are key actions to avoid the creation of an a-c relationship.

But it can get fuzzy. As a matter of practice, many attorneys will aim to formalize the relationship (disclosure, retainer, formal conflicts check, agreement). Those all work as indicia of when the relationship began. However, if they are saying those things but in fact start giving specific legal advice and you have reason to believe they're your attorney, then they are very possibly going to be considered your attorney (with all the benefits and duties that gets you) even without their formal processes being completed/in place, if it ever comes to a question or dispute.

And again, in the Ls' case, where it's this broad, periodical, advisory relationship, even harder to argue that there was no privilege or duty of confidentiality regarding potential issues even if they didn't do or before they did a formal agreement for the matter. Broadly speaking.

I would imagine that BL kept her from having many friends. Isolating a partner from loved ones and friends, jealousy, feelings of inadequacy compared to others in her life, etc. are all hallmarks of the type of relationship they appeared to be in. IMO.
Oh, yes, friends drop/are dropped durinf/with dysfunctional or controlling relationships. If that person from HS is to be believed, though, she may have been a "loner" (which is used more negatively than it needs to be - you could say "did her own thing" or "introverted" or "free spirit" to mean the same thing) to begin with. Being independent or introverted doesn't necessarily mean "not sweet/charming/comfortable in one's skin/friendly/open.". I know lots of warm, kind, likeable, free-spirited introverts. :)

At this point, if I were the Laundries, I would do a quick sale of all my properties and move to France or Spain...south america somewhere far away. Take the daughter and family. Try to grieve in private. This case will haunt them. Gabby's family has support, they have none. But, they have feelings, too.

If Gabby's mom reaches out to them, have a private conversation. PRIVATE.

France would be my first choice, though all sound very reasonable. A fresh start would serve them well after this, though I imagine they'll stay put in Florida or perhaps move back to NY. They appear to be hearty, stoic people that don't rattle easily, IMO.

They had everyday to get footage. At some point you have to do the inside work, too.

True. But the Beginning Our VanLife Journey video she put together while in the hotel contained an awful lot of footage from their first trip (California coast). So I do wonder how much new video they were getting. After all, they'd been traveling going on 2 months.
JMO

France would be my first choice, though all sound very reasonable. A fresh start would serve them well after this, though I imagine they'll stay put in Florida or perhaps move back to NY. They appear to be hearty, stoic people that don't rattle easily, IMO.
I'd guess NY. FL didn't turn out well for them. They've only been there a little over a year. No apparent friends, just Cassie and her family. jmo

I'd guess NY. FL didn't turn out well for them. They've only been there a little over a year. No apparent friends, just Cassie and her family. jmo
Might also depend on where they are getting medical care. Insurance coverage and plans are sometimes dependent on location.

Might also depend on where they are getting medical care. Insurance coverage and plans are sometimes dependent on location.

CL does not look to be very young. And all craziness outside their door has to be affecting their health. Hopefully, this wont create another tragedy. And Cassie's children, oh my. As much as I want to walk away from this case, I feel like I am picking at bones. But, the left side of my brain, the analytical side wants to understand how and why this happened. I have had nightmares over this case. Not so clear cut as the OJ thing, or Casey or Jodi trials. Which are the few cases that I followed closely.

True. But the Beginning Our VanLife Journey video she put together while in the hotel contained an awful lot of footage from their first trip (California coast). So I do wonder how much new video they were getting. After all, they'd been traveling going on 2 months.
JMO

You can go look at the new video on her Insta (and there. was probably. more on her phone). By using the prior year's footage, she was making it seem like they had been into Van Life a bit longer - often done.

At any rate, she did use up a lot of the best footage in that one video. Just posing in front of the same places that everyone else poses is not enough - I can't remember if the posted youtube video includes her food prep situation (I think so). More shots were needed of camp life, as that's one of the main reasons for Van Life youtube channels (not the travel and scenery - which is often the focus of real travel bloggers; focus was supposed to be van life).

Since the confidentiality topic seems to be a hot one, I thought I would provide the rules attorneys follow regarding questions of ethics.

Model Rules of Professional Conduct: Model Rules of Professional Conduct - Table of Contents (americanbar.org)

The question of when privilege attaches to a client is addressed at MRPC 1.18 (Duties to Prospective Client).

Hope this helps!

You can go look at the new video on her Insta (and there. was probably. more on her phone). By using the prior year's footage, she was making it seem like they had been into Van Life a bit longer - often done.

At any rate, she did use up a lot of the best footage in that one video. Just posing in front of the same places that everyone else poses is not enough - I can't remember if the posted youtube video includes her food prep situation (I think so). More shots were needed of camp life, as that's one of the main reasons for Van Life youtube channels (not the travel and scenery - which is often the focus of real travel bloggers; focus was supposed to be van life).

Yeah. I see your point. I agree there's more on her Instagram but not really as much more as I'd have thought. And maybe I don't understand video production but some of the posted videos on her IG seemed not so good to me in terms of technical quality.
JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member