CA - Jonathan Gerrish, Ellen Chung, daughter, 1 & dog, suspicious death hiking area, Aug 2021 #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank You. I wish we could stickie this to the front page. I did read this but didn’t study the details of the statement. He was very concise.

From the statement above (bbm):
“Jonathan, Ellen, Miju and Oski then began the steep incline section of the Savage Lundy trail. This section of the trail is a south/southeast facing slope exposing the trail to constant sunlight. There is very little shade along this section of trail due to the Ferguson Fire of 2018. The temperatures along that section of trail ranged between 107-109 degrees from 12:50pm -2:50pm cooling slightly from 4:50pm to 8:50pm from 105-89 degrees. The family hiked approximately 2 miles up the Savage Lundy trail.”

So LE possibly believes they may have started the S-L climb between 12:50pm - 2:50pm. (?) They may know the possible speed, but not how long the breaks were.

We could possibly map it with that data. (I may have missed it if anyone has already.)

I believe they knew they were in trouble as they approached the switchbacks, but the choice was to get to the vehicle, not back to the river.

For the hikers, or anyone who may know, would hiking back to the river make sense (presuming they were thinking clearly, not affected yet by heat exhaustion)?

Stay by the river overnight, if heat and exhaustion were the two main issues? Rest and hike at dawn?
Didn't someone post a thread or two earlier, that the Devil's Gulch area tends to trap heat? And I wonder how cool the water would be, if it's warm enough to generate toxic algae. Cooler than the air, which is the important thing, but I wonder how easy a decision it would be to make: stay near or in the water (even though (possibly) the canyon traps heat), or make a break for the car, in spite of the grueling challenge on the switchbacks?

And what do you do if you wait until dusk at the river, then have to climb up the mountain in the dark?

These are very tough calls for a family to make, IMO.

Well, that they willingly did that hike with little water, a baby and a dog leans toward the ludicrous. So rather than believing they were not of sound judgment, and guilty of child and dog neglect and abuse, at this point I tend toward going with the nefarious element theory. It’s the only thing that makes sense to me. Just because there’s no evidence of that doesn’t mean it didn’t happen. Jmo

I agree, it leans towards the ludicrous.

I believe that Oski was the sibling to EC's mother's dog?

He graced EC's life for six, seven years? He looked healthy, looked as if he had been well-taken care of, and only my "sense" tells me he was her "baby". Moo.

As for taking their delicate, little human baby girl--so new to the world, only twelve Months old!-- as I said earlier, imo/Moo go deeper, much deeper. Yes, indeed. Moo.

@Lexiintoronto, sadly, too often Fear = Flight. We're hardwired for that. (Lost hikers walking in circles.) It takes knowledge and calm to assess a situation. I know that I would have had no idea that staying in the water would have saved me. I do now!
I don't think I would have thought of that, either.
I wonder if they could have just body-surfed downstream?

If you haven't been affected by Covid and its changes to our daily life, you're luckier than I and my friends and family. J and G moved to Mariposa in part because of Covid, as I've read. Until fairly recently Public and Social Life shut down, including yoga studios, restaurants, libraries, playgroups. Anything that may have helped the GC's adjust to their new life. Life migrated online. Covid, imho, is just one of the factors in this Perfect Storm. I believe failure to adjust to our changing world-- albeit CChange and Covid-- played a part here.

While all of you are wishing they'd been better prepared for their hike, I've been wishing they'd had friends with a child who could have come over for brunch and spent a lovely day around their pool. ie. Life before Covid.
They could have done that, though.... lovely day around the pool? They chose not to; it wasn't that they couldn't because of COVID.

This is an interesting discussion, though, the impact of COVID on our decision-making outdoors.

It's possible that during the height of the pandemic, folks started seeing nature as more benign than they did before, since it was one of the few free-feeling outlets during our very isolated lives.
Of course, the irony is that COVID is a great example of how nature is in charge, and not us. All we can do is mitigate and respond. Nature is what it is.

Speculation only, I wonder how much there was a perverse incentive to continue on the trail *because* they realized that Oski and Miju, or both, were suffering - and EC/JG couldn’t wrap their minds around that (or the attendant guilt) in a rational way. It’s not unfathomable as it’s human nature to avoid, avoid, avoid and “throw good money after bad” when things get scary.

Forgive the dime-store psychology, but our minds protect us against the unthinkable through myriad “irrational” mechanisms. E.g., if they realized that they would likely be charged with child endangerment or animal cruelty after turning around at the river and returning to the truck and rushing to a hospital/vet, they might have minimized the danger (Miju is just tired or cranky / Oski is just hungry….) and continued on.

I am not suggesting in any way that they intended to harm their precious baby or dog - quite the opposite, i.e., the realization that they had inadvertently harmed their dependents was unthinkable/unbearable and drove additional bad decision-making, rather than prompting rational, corrective behavior.

RSBM

IMO I think they intended a short stroll to try out their new baby carrier.

They were not wearing appropriate clothing for a lengthy hike in the sun and heat. No hats, sleeveless tops and shorts aren’t what hikers wear in the sun.

The main thing is that they didn’t bring adequate water for a longer hike, and I water bowl for their pup.

Those things lead me to believe they intended only a short hike.
I think that’s your presumptions, rather than fact- my parents were exceptional hikers and took me and my brother up many high peaks in summer wearing tank tops and hats (yes they did have other layers they weren’t wearing), as for the dog we never take a dog bowl as our dogs will drink from a bottle, or we pour some into our hand, or even on the floor and they will drink. However we have always carried more than one water vestibule, at least one each (plus extra for the dog), but as others have previously posted we have never been told they didn’t have more water, only that one vestibule had trace amounts left.

Thank You. I wish we could stickie this to the front page. I did read this but didn’t study the details of the statement. He was very concise.

From the statement above (bbm):
“Jonathan, Ellen, Miju and Oski then began the steep incline section of the Savage Lundy trail. This section of the trail is a south/southeast facing slope exposing the trail to constant sunlight. There is very little shade along this section of trail due to the Ferguson Fire of 2018. The temperatures along that section of trail ranged between 107-109 degrees from 12:50pm -2:50pm cooling slightly from 4:50pm to 8:50pm from 105-89 degrees. The family hiked approximately 2 miles up the Savage Lundy trail.”

So LE possibly believes they may have started the S-L climb between 12:50pm - 2:50pm. (?) They may know the possible speed, but not how long the breaks were.

We could possibly map it with that data. (I may have missed it if anyone has already.)

I believe they knew they were in trouble as they approached the switchbacks, but the choice was to get to the vehicle, not back to the river.

For the hikers, or anyone who may know, would hiking back to the river make sense (presuming they were thinking clearly, not affected yet by heat exhaustion)?

Stay by the river overnight, if heat and exhaustion were the two main issues? Rest and hike at dawn?
I bet if they didn’t have a dog and a child that would have been an option- but the dog and the baby would need more food and hydration so personally IMO I would carry on- which ultimately could have been the worst of two evils.

I think that’s your presumptions, rather than fact- my parents were exceptional hikers and took me and my brother up many high peaks in summer wearing tank tops and hats (yes they did have other layers they weren’t wearing), as for the dog we never take a dog bowl as our dogs will drink from a bottle, or we pour some into our hand, or even on the floor and they will drink. However we have always carried more than one water vestibule, at least one each (plus extra for the dog), but as others have previously posted we have never been told they didn’t have more water, only that one vestibule had trace amounts left.
But you were prepared with water for humans and extra water for the dog. They were not prepared with even enough water for the humans let alone extra water for the dog. And they didn’t have other layers of clothing they weren’t wearing, either.

My parents were exceptional hikers as well and climbed many peaks but they ensured they were well prepared with ample water, layers of clothing, hats, and high energy snacks. Not to mention sunscreen and a small hiker first aid kit. Enough water, supplies, and clothing for themselves, their children, and the dog.

For anyone unsure about the actual path and distance the family walked, here is the Sheriff’s assessment taken from Facebook.

RBBM for mileage. I have snipped out the bits about elevation changes and temperatures at each of the intersections for brevity’s sake.

Hopefully this can put to bed questions as to whether the family only did a short portion of the 8 mile loop. LE has stated they did more than 6 miles of the 8 mile loop, as you can see below. LE will likely not release to us every detail of evidence, such as every track found etc., nor would I expect them to.
—————————
From the Mariposa County Sheriff’s Office facebook page:
——————-
“Jonathan, his wife, Ellen, their 1-year-old daughter, Miju …. and the family dog Oski, left on foot from the Hites Cove Road / Trail head….

The family walked 2.2 miles down Hites Cove Road/Trail to the US Forest Service Trail 20E01.4…

They continued walking along 20E01.4 trail which parallels the South Fork of the Merced River for approximately 1.9 miles towards the Savage Lundy Trail intersection….

Jonathan, Ellen, Miju and Oski then began the steep incline section of the Savage Lundy trail….

The family hiked approximately 2 miles up the Savage Lundy trail.”
Bravo!

BBM
From LE transcript:

"It should be noted that there was only one 85 oz water bladder located with the family. This water bladder was empty and no other water containers or water filtration systems were located amongst the family."
I assume if they discarded empty bottles they would have been found by LE along the trail. MOO

For anyone unsure about the actual path and distance the family walked, here is the Sheriff’s assessment taken from Facebook.

RBBM for mileage. I have snipped out the bits about elevation changes and temperatures at each of the intersections for brevity’s sake.

Hopefully this can put to bed questions as to whether the family only did a short portion of the 8 mile loop. LE has stated they did more than 6 miles of the 8 mile loop, as you can see below. LE will likely not release to us every detail of evidence, such as every track found etc., nor would I expect them to.
—————————
From the Mariposa County Sheriff’s Office facebook page:
——————-
“Jonathan, his wife, Ellen, their 1-year-old daughter, Miju …. and the family dog Oski, left on foot from the Hites Cove Road / Trail head….

The family walked 2.2 miles down Hites Cove Road/Trail to the US Forest Service Trail 20E01.4…

They continued walking along 20E01.4 trail which parallels the South Fork of the Merced River for approximately 1.9 miles towards the Savage Lundy Trail intersection….

Jonathan, Ellen, Miju and Oski then began the steep incline section of the Savage Lundy trail….

The family hiked approximately 2 miles up the Savage Lundy trail.”

This is excellent—I was reading the thread backwards and didn’t realize you answered the questions I was thinking about before I posted. Thank you!

That day, as they headed out, they must have believed they had enough water for everyone, though. Only hours later would they have realized their mistake.
It's a cognitive bias to think, "We would have known to bring much more water. They remind me of us. How could they have only brought 2.5 L for that loop ..."
But I think they just misjudged it. They truly didn't know what they'd be facing that day.

Speculation only, I wonder how much there was a perverse incentive to continue on the trail *because* they realized that Oski and Miju, or both, were suffering - and EC/JG couldn’t wrap their minds around that (or the attendant guilt) in a rational way. It’s not unfathomable as it’s human nature to avoid, avoid, avoid and “throw good money after bad” when things get scary.

Forgive the dime-store psychology, but our minds protect us against the unthinkable through myriad “irrational” mechanisms. E.g., if they realized that they would likely be charged with child endangerment or animal cruelty after turning around at the river and returning to the truck and rushing to a hospital/vet, they might have minimized the danger (Miju is just tired or cranky / Oski is just hungry….) and continued on.

I am not suggesting in any way that they intended to harm their precious baby or dog - quite the opposite, i.e., the realization that they had inadvertently harmed their dependents was unthinkable/unbearable and drove additional bad decision-making, rather than prompting rational, corrective behavior.
I have wondered this too @NSamuelle, but was not sure how to express it without sounding crass. So thank you for opening this door so gently. I have considered, like you, that JG/EC may have been driven to hike their last 2 miles up SLT in a desperate attempt to get back to the truck and home to 'make all this right again - get Miju and Oski back to safety.' Their motivation, perhaps understandably, could have been to avoid being discovered with two critically ailing dependents by LE or SARS. IMO, they may have thought if they retreated to the river to get / stay cool and wait for rescue or much cooler temperatures overnight, then they might face allegations as you describe. And that alone might have scared them into their demise. It might not have required a nefarious character to scare them to death.

All IMO.

Well, that they willingly did that hike with little water, a baby and a dog leans toward the ludicrous. So rather than believing they were not of sound judgment, and guilty of child and dog neglect and abuse, at this point I tend toward going with the nefarious element theory. It’s the only thing that makes sense to me. Just because there’s no evidence of that doesn’t mean it didn’t happen. Jmo
I think you know by now, @neesaki, that I tend to agree with you. :cool:

To that point, did you or anyone else notice in Sheriff Briese's 9/30/2021 presser on this case, no manner of death was announced? Only cause of death. And that includes the Q&A session if my notes are accurate (it was hard to hear questions).

If this is true, does that mean LE is still undecided on manner of death? They had prevously announced suicide was ruled out. So that leaves accident, homicide and natural manners of death. With heat stroke as cause of death, you'd think that finding would be accompanied by 'accident' as manner of death. So then why didn't the Sheriff say that if it was settled? I just wonder if manner of death is in fact still undetermined? If so, it could be LE is as confused as we are on this.

Did anyone read or hear an announcement by the Sheriff on manner of death for this case?

I have wondered this too @NSamuelle, but was not sure how to express it without sounding crass. So thank you for opening this door so gently. I have considered, like you, that JG/EC may have been driven to hike their last 2 miles up SLT in a desperate attempt to get back to the truck and home to 'make all this right again - get Miju and Oski back to safety.' Their motivation, perhaps understandably, could have been to avoid being discovered with two critically ailing dependents by LE or SARS. IMO, they may have thought if they retreated to the river to get / stay cool and wait for rescue or much cooler temperatures overnight, then they might face allegations as you describe. And that alone might have scared them into their demise. It might not have required a nefarious character to scare them to death.

All IMO.

BBM...
Boy, William of Ockham might have something to say about this! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
legalpyro74