NC NC - Asha Degree, 9, Shelby, 14 Feb 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if the site was easy to gain access to by a passerby. If it was more out of the way then I wonder if they were connected to the construction in any way, like they found out about it through a brother that drilled it etc. Maybe it wasn't directly a construction worker per say, but someone close to them.

The Mom took note of all the clothing that was missing from her bedroom so you're probably right. I'm sure when the bag was discovered they discussed the contents with the parents. My thinking was to investigators the kids shirt and book wouldn't seem out of place at first sight. An investigator could have overlooked it at first was my thinking.

I've been going back reading and re-reading these forums, and this comment stood out to me bc of as thought I've had for a little while now. Construction workers are mentioned here and there, but more specifically, what about a lineman? Someone working either for the power company or a contractor. An outage, like the one in her neighborhood that night, would bring them to the area, and they could be from anywhere. Hwy 18 could likely be the quickest way there. It'd also account for why they'd be on the road at the time she was outside of her house. Besides that, there's not only a cleared section that power lines are running through right next to the bag disposal site, but just across the street there is a pretty sizeable substation. It would definitely be an area know to someone working for the power company. Also, I'm wondering at what point they were at in the construction process, bc at some point someone would have to come in to run the lines or come up with the plan on how to run the lines. Plus, the uniform would be great cover to explain why you're somewhere you don't belong, and could possibly also disarm shy child, thinking they're just a worker, they're okay to talk to, etc. Idk, just feel like there's something there.

Attachments

• 20210814_115853.jpg
    20210814_115853.jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 14
I've been going back reading and re-reading these forums, and this comment stood out to me bc of as thought I've had for a little while now. Construction workers are mentioned here and there, but more specifically, what about a lineman? Someone working either for the power company or a contractor. An outage, like the one in her neighborhood that night, would bring them to the area, and they could be from anywhere. Hwy 18 could likely be the quickest way there. It'd also account for why they'd be on the road at the time she was outside of her house. Besides that, there's not only a cleared section that power lines are running through right next to the bag disposal site, but just across the street there is a pretty sizeable substation. It would definitely be an area know to someone working for the power company. Also, I'm wondering at what point they were at in the construction process, bc at some point someone would have to come in to run the lines or come up with the plan on how to run the lines. Plus, the uniform would be great cover to explain why you're somewhere you don't belong, and could possibly also disarm shy child, thinking they're just a worker, they're okay to talk to, etc. Idk, just feel like there's something there.

Could be, but was it just happenstance then? Asha was out in the rain in the middle of the night for a totally separate unknown reason and then she happens upon a predator?
I feel like that would be very unlikely, but not impossible of course.

I wish we could make sense of why she left that night. If we knew that I think the mystery would be solved.

Could be, but was it just happenstance then? Asha was out in the rain in the middle of the night for a totally separate unknown reason and then she happens upon a predator?
I feel like that would be very unlikely, but not impossible of course.

I wish we could make sense of why she left that night. If we knew that I think the mystery would be solved.

I keep going back to that also: was she running to, or running from? The experts have mostly said that she was a little young to run away, but there is always an exception to the rule. Also, let me say, I don't lend any credibility to the sleepwalking theory, mainly bc I've not seen any example of it, neither before, nor since. I believe she was as sheltered as claimed to be, and unfortunately, that naivety could had been preyed upon by the wrong person. So grooming was definitely a possibility, and in my opinion, IF SHE LEFT WILLINGLY, one of the best. I too wish we could crack that one, bc I agree, I think we'd figure it out if we had that or just one more piece of the puzzle. I just feel it, this IS solvable, we can give justice to this little one.

One other thought, the basketball game. We know she'd packed her uniform and at least a change of clothes. I remember being in martial arts and wrestling as a kid, thinking about how the best got up early in the morning to practice and train. Could she have resolved after fouling out at the last game, to get up and start practicing everyday? Could she have been on the way to do so?

One other thought, the basketball game. We know she'd packed her uniform and at least a change of clothes. I remember being in martial arts and wrestling as a kid, thinking about how the best got up early in the morning to practice and train. Could she have resolved after fouling out at the last game, to get up and start practicing everyday? Could she have been on the way to do so?

That's actually a really interesting thought. I could totally see a young girl getting up early and leaving to do that, even if they wouldn't normally do that for any other reason.

Such an enduring mystery.

By all accounts, Asha absconded that night of her own volition. She might have been groomed to meet someone, but why would the predator risk her walking all that way in dark, stormy weather? She could've been intercepted by someone else or got lost before they could take her. They were taking a risk by asking her to walk down the highway, when they could've parked nearby her house and collected her. Then again, we might just be dealing with a very cautious individual, or perhaps nine year-old Asha didn't follow the instructions she was given.

The only other explanation is that she took off into the night for unknown reasons and got kidnapped by an opportunistic predator.

Such an enduring mystery.

By all accounts, Asha absconded that night of her own volition. She might have been groomed to meet someone, but why would the predator risk her walking all that way in dark, stormy weather? She could've been intercepted by someone else or got lost before they could take her. They were taking a risk by asking her to walk down the highway, when they could've parked nearby her house and collected her. Then again, we might just be dealing with a very cautious individual, or perhaps nine year-old Asha didn't follow the instructions she was given.

The only other explanation is that she took off into the night for unknown reasons and got kidnapped by an opportunistic predator.

Honestly the narrative that someone lured Asha too leave the house makes no sense to me.

I always thought that something was going on in the home and the parents have not been entirely truthful. The child left the house at that time because in the middle of the night that was the easiest time to do so without getting caught.

The only question what was going on in Asha mind.

I am positive that she entered into someone's car and the rest of it ended in tragedy.

I am new to this case. Its disturbing and baffling. I cannot imagine a young girl waking up early only to walk alone in the dark while drizzling out along a lonely scary stretch of road...to me, if she did do this, the purpose and reward of this ordeal must have been worth it in her mind! Also, am I correct that the two witnesses came forward only after the news report!? You better believe I would have contacted LE immediately.
The bookbag contents wrapped as if though to preserve...wouldn't you want it to become one with the earth...confusing. The NKOB shirt looks more like a nightgown.
Wasn't there a recent slumber party?

So I just read about Asha on Wikipedia...it stated that in the shed, a picture of a young girl around Ashas age was also found among the other items (marker, pencil, ect) but it was unknown who she was. If this is true, I find that a crucial piece of evidence. Who was she and how might she tie in with Ashas disappearance?
If this pic is still in existence in some LE evidence box, the girl would be an adult now. Maybe it could be posted on a billboard or tv asking the public if they recognize this person.

So I just read about Asha on Wikipedia...it stated that in the shed, a picture of a young girl around Ashas age was also found among the other items (marker, pencil, ect) but it was unknown who she was. If this is true, I find that a crucial piece of evidence. Who was she and how might she tie in with Ashas disappearance?
If this pic is still in existence in some LE evidence box, the girl would be an adult now. Maybe it could be posted on a billboard or tv asking the public if they recognize this person.

Yes, it’s very mysterious. The picture of the girl was posted in a local newspaper article soon after it was found, but there’s never been any follow up until it was posted online not too long ago.

I wonder if the police identified who the girl was and realised she wasn’t connected to the case? Or perhaps it was such a vital clue that printing it in the newspaper would cause whoever took Asha to get anxious that the police were closing in - causing him/her to hurt Asha? Maybe that’s why they never published the photo again?

I almost feel like whoever was involved in her disappearance was toying with the evidence..
For example, we found her bookbag, but who's shirt and book does this belong too?
We found her markers and hair bow, but who's picture is this?
At each location, there is a personal belonging of Ashas, but an added piece that doesnt connect.
I keep going back to the recent slumber party, then all of a sudden, Asha runs off in the early morning hours along a stretch of road, never to be seen again.
Who was at this party and in my opinion, the kids and adults who were present should be questioned today to see if their memories can be jogged. Rest in peace sweet Asha..you have many people here who care about you.

I almost feel like whoever was involved in her disappearance was toying with the evidence..
For example, we found her bookbag, but who's shirt and book does this belong too?
At each location, there is a personal belonging of Ashas, but an added piece that doesnt connect.
I keep going back to the recent slumber party, then all of a sudden, Asha runs off in the early morning hours along a stretch of road, never to be seen again.
Who was at this party and in my opinion, the kids and adults who were present should be questioned today to see if their memories can be jogged. Rest in peace sweet Asha..you have many people here who care about you.
The slumber party was also not far from Asha's home. It was at a relatives house in the same neighborhood. It was her older cousins (12-15 years old) throwing the slumber party. I always wondered if one of them had an older boyfriend. I always wondered if someone from the slumber party gave her the NKOTB shirt. Could the bag had been originally packed for the slumber party? I always overpacked when I was a kid for some reason. I agree they should definitely reinterview who was at the slumber party. I think it is someone closer to home then we think. Like a aunt/cousin's boyfriend.

Last edited:

The slumber party was also not far from Asha's home. It was at a relatives house in the same neighborhood. It was her older cousins (12-15 years old) throwing the slumber party. I always wondered if one of them had an older boyfriend. I always wondered if someone from the slumber party gave her the NKOTB shirt. Could the bag had been originally packed for the slumber party? I always overpacked when I was a kid for some reason. I agree they should definitely reinterview who was at the slumber party. I think it is someone closer to home then we think. Like a aunt/cousin's boyfriend.

Excellent thoughts here! I am so encouraged to see there is still so much interest in Asha's case. I have never been able to forget about this missing child since seeing her profiled on a tv show years ago. I pray her mama will someday have the answers she so desperately seeks.

Yesterday i saw on reddit, somebody saying something about that the truck driver, that saw a woman on the road that night, and that the woman could be Asha’s mother, and i think this is actually a good point. I dont know if this has already been talked about.

It has not been discussed much because Asha's parents have never been under any suspicion and that remains so to this day. I think it was discussed as a possibility that he actually may have seen Asha, but of course one wonders why he would describe the person as woman and not a girl.

There is also always the possibility that Asha's abductor was a woman and he could have seen that person. Investigators, to my knowledge, have never released what/who they determined that to be.

I will add that discussions from the site you mentioned are not up for discussion here. You can say anything you want over there and much of it is unfounded. It has to be kept over there. Asha's parents are not suspects.

Last edited:

I might be wrong, but IMHO,I kinda feel like the shirt and possibly some of the other unknown contents of the bag, are trophies from other previous victims. I think that's why maybe they're still being tight lipped about all of it, why they're still convening the task force regularly to meet on Asha, and why two decades later, they're still actively pursuing it, rather than letting it fall to the wayside as many other cases have done.

A NKOTB t-shirt in 2003 has got to be about 12-14 years old and well out of date. The band were big back in the late 80s and early 90s. Plus, I'm not sure how popular they were with African-American kids anyway?
I think the t-shirt came from another victim or was maybe even a thrift store purchase.

MOO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member