TX TX - Houston, 'Swimsuit Boy' WhtMale 15-19, UP4547, Dean Corll victim, Aug'73

Ok everyone, I've been doing some thinking and have some possible theories regarding his back patch and his boots, which will humanize him even more and possibly help to I.D. him.
Here is an interesting descrepancy...he was supposedly only between 5'2-5'6, but was wearing size 12 boots...had to be way too big for him, thinking they were a Dad or brothers he lost in Vietnam... another is what's written on his back patch, USMC L84MF... found out those last two letters were often initials of a Marine who died... Which would also fit if his name is Bobby French, last letter being F. I also scoured over pictures of his boots and vintage Neolite boots on the internet, found a couple close matches, so if anyone else wants to try, more eyes are better. I'm basically trying to reconstruct his outfit to give people a better visual representation.

Any thoughts or theories, let me know... plus I added a ton more info and pictures to my research page...

https://americasbestpics.com/user/DaniHunter?s=cl

Another search criteria came to me regarding Swimsuit Boy. If those last two letters are initials for someone he lost in Vietnam, it would be M. French. So far I've found a Robert French from the area the boy went missing in. Not sure if there is a connection there. But if anyone wants to help me research soldiers killed or M.I.A. with last name French, could be a lead.

Thank you for your hard work this is a goldmine of info and should have it´s own thread somewhere imho.
Yes, it was absolutely gut-wrenching to see so much put together like that. But so humanizing and meaningful at the same time. Amazing job, @TheHauntedOne

edited to add: found this on accessgenealogy.com - pressed for time but will poke around more later - relevant USMC, name Robert, Houston

French Douglas Robert LCPL Marines South Houston TX 21/07/1966 S.Vietnam 06/06/1946 hostile,killed

Last edited:
Thank you, I believe that was the soldier I found, really wonder if they were related.

Yes, it was absolutely gut-wrenching to see so much put together like that. But so humanizing and meaningful at the same time. Amazing job, @TheHauntedOne

edited to add: found this on accessgenealogy.com - pressed for time but will poke around more later - relevant USMC, name Robert, Houston

French Douglas Robert LCPL Marines South Houston TX 21/07/1966 S.Vietnam 06/06/1946 hostile,killed

Ok everyone, I've been doing some thinking and have some possible theories regarding his back patch and his boots, which will humanize him even more and possibly help to I.D. him.
Here is an interesting descrepancy...he was supposedly only between 5'2-5'6, but was wearing size 12 boots...had to be way too big for him, thinking they were a Dad or brothers he lost in Vietnam... another is what's written on his back patch, USMC L84MF... found out those last two letters were often initials of a Marine who died... Which would also fit if his name is Bobby French, last letter being F. I also scoured over pictures of his boots and vintage Neolite boots on the internet, found a couple close matches, so if anyone else wants to try, more eyes are better. I'm basically trying to reconstruct his outfit to give people a better visual representation.

Any thoughts or theories, let me know... plus I added a ton more info and pictures to my research page...

https://americasbestpics.com/user/DaniHunter?s=cl

I’m trying to look at your page but it redirects to download the app. Can I see it any other way?

I'm not sure, maybe you can try going to the website and typing in my name, no spaces "DaniHunter"? Otherwise I doubt it, I only use the site to store the pics and info, so don't know it that well.

I hop in and outta here, but I pulled up the Lt Cpl. Douglas Robert French on Ancestry. According to my (very hasty) search, he and his dad both predeceased his mom and younger brother...Randall James French. Not saying it's not an uncle or cousin. I'll see if I can find out any more relatives, if you like. Do you happen to have a DOB for Bobby?

Sadly no, that's the challenge of him being unidentified, there's no life stats to work with. One of my main goals currently is getting access to the old yearbooks of a few local schools, especially the school right near the street he was lured from.

I hop in and outta here, but I pulled up the Lt Cpl. Douglas Robert French on Ancestry. According to my (very hasty) search, he and his dad both predeceased his mom and younger brother...Randall James French. Not saying it's not an uncle or cousin. I'll see if I can find out any more relatives, if you like. Do you happen to have a DOB for Bobby?

Thank you for the work you put in...I wonder if he was related as a cousin, it would be interesting to look into Randall, maybe he liked being called Bobby? Or used a fake name if he wasn't sure of his surroundings? So many possibilities, just hoping we can narrow it down.

Not sure how many of you have a Facebook page, hoping you can view everything even if you don't. I made a page dedicated to my research on the Corll case and specifically the work to identify Swimsuit Boy and any others. So far the only information uploaded is about Swimsuit Boy, but it's got more updated information and discoveries so far. Plus images to explain aspects, since we can't add them on here. If you can't view the information, let me know.

Is there any chance you can look more into Randall and the Mom? Really need to know what happened to them.

Sorry. I haven't been online much lately.

LCpl Douglas Robert French (1946-1966) - Find A...
That's the corporal's gravesite with info. If you click over to his moms memorial, there's an obit with the info about predeceased husband and son...and other son, Randall James French, who I would assume is not "Bobby" French since he was still alive in 2014.
But there seem to be a lot of Frenchs around Houston at the time, so I wouldn't rule out the possibility of a cousin or other relation.

Thank you, I did notice the abundance of French's in that area... sadly that makes that haystack grow larger around the needle.

Sorry. I haven't been online much lately.

LCpl Douglas Robert French (1946-1966) - Find A...
That's the corporal's gravesite with info. If you click over to his moms memorial, there's an obit with the info about predeceased husband and son...and other son, Randall James French, who I would assume is not "Bobby" French since he was still alive in 2014.
But there seem to be a lot of Frenchs around Houston at the time, so I wouldn't rule out the possibility of a cousin or other relation.

Good find! The noses look completely different, but afaik it's very difficult to ascertain the shape of the nose from skeletal remains.

This article has another photo of Bobby - it's probably linked upthread but I'm very sleepy and (re)posting just in case! Murder mystery: Houston serial killer 'Candy Man's' last victim still not identified | khou.com
Thanks and I agree about the nose. I'm not entirely convinced this is the boy we're looking for either, but he is depicted in Yearbooks 1970, 71 and 72 and the location of his school cannot be ignored. Sharon Derrick has apparently stated she believes the boy might be named French due to the envelope (obviously) and the fact that "the only outstanding missing person's reports relating to youths from the Houston area between 1970 and 1973 which fit the forensic profile of the boy, hold the surnames Harmon or French". Has anyone come across or located these missing person's reports? I've been searching and can't find them anywhere.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd
Back