CA CA - Maya Millete, 39, missed daughter's birthday, Chula Vista, 7 Jan 2021 #4 *husband arrested*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apologies if this has already been brought up, but I keep thinking about LM's arraignment, where he said he had hearing issues and needed the judge to speak up. Was his hearing ever known to be an issue before? Because I immediately could not help but speculate that it might have been from firing a loud gun in an enclosed space, without proper ear protection. Enough loud bangs from a gun, it could definitely damage your eardrums.

The parents claim they had a hard time keeping him from talking to the kids? What a crock of ****. You don't answer the phone! And if you do you say...no!

His parents obviously are not capable of protecting the kids. They need to be removed.

Moo.
The judge needs to haul his parents into court and admonish them for allowing it - I wonder if Mayas family has attempted to file for guardianship of the children? I really hope so
JMO

This seems to be taking so long regarding the children having anything with their mother's family.
They must be so traumatized with their mother missing, being taken away for all contact with her family, their father arrested for their mother's murder and the presumed manipulative influence being done to them by their father.
Imo the court needs to act asap to get these children stabilized and around family they have known and been around and felt loved by their entire lives.
The courts can move slowly but they can also hear for emergency orders. That's what I'm hoping for.
moo

The judge needs to haul his parents into court and admonish them for allowing it - I wonder if Mayas family has attempted to file for guardianship of the children? I really hope so
JMO

IMO, LM was most likely proactive in naming his parents guardians of the children, long before his arrest.

California was one of the first states to recognize grandparents visitation rights-- enacting legislation providing for court-ordered visitation, including when like Maya, a parent's whereabouts are unknown (and have been for at least a month).

Maya's parents didn't file a petition for visitation until May 2021 -- and the hearing on the petition was pushed back (I believe to December) after LM avoided being served until September! In response to the petition, LM's declaration was over the top! I think there may have been mediation scheduled but don't recall for certain...

Visitation Rights of Grandparents - custody_famlaw_selfhelp
'He's Trying To Cut Ties With The Family': Husband Of Missing Maya Millete Battles In-Laws Over Visitation Rights | Oxygen Official Site
Husband of missing mother, Maya Millete, files response in family court | cbs8.com

Everyone here has been so worried and concerned for the children. Before anymore changes happen in their lives, it'd be good to consider their frame of mind. They must be afraid and feel very insecure. However, the one thing that hasn't changed yet is the children are in their home and in their neighborhood. That's the house they know. That's the playground and school they know. There lots of memories of Maya there too. They were used to LM's parents living with them,

The children probably didn't want to go live someplace else while their mother was missing. They were probably hoping somehow Maya would return and things could go back to the way they were in happier times. Consider that they might miss Maya's family, but there's a possibility they don't really want to go live with them. Perhaps, they just don't want anymore change.

Most likely, there has been some heavy "persuasion" by LM's family to view Maya's family as the enemy. Even if they remember damning evidence against Larry, he's Dad, and has been there for the past 9+ mos. working on them. I don't know what Maya's family will be able to offer the children in a new living situation to make up for all they've lost. I think, the courts are going to look at what was and not want to disrupt. The Family Courts should be able to ensure that if there's a transition that the children don't feel like they're being whisked away.

First order of business is to present the idea of things having to change now. Pointing out how important independent counseling would be for the children before further changes are made in their lives. The children need to process and accept all they've been through, and that a change is going to be necessary. All MOO.

This seems to be taking so long regarding the children having anything with their mother's family.
They must be so traumatized with their mother missing, being taken away for all contact with her family, their father arrested for their mother's murder and the presumed manipulative influence being done to them by their father.
Imo the court needs to act asap to get these children stabilized and around family they have known and been around and felt loved by their entire lives.
The courts can move slowly but they can also hear for emergency orders. That's what I'm hoping for.
moo

IMO, this case is a very good example of how difficult it is to remove children from their California homes.

For example, even after the gun allegations, and being named a person of interest in the disappearance of the children's mother, LM's wife, there was no emergency order and/or any action by the court on behalf of the children...

I really don't know if grandparents vs grandparents will be any different.

After the petition by the maternal grandparents for visitation, LM made several allegations about Maya's family in his 9-page declaration. While I'm sure they're unfounded, no doubt the court is charged with investigating LM's allegations before ruling on visitation.

And days become weeks, months, ..... It's been painful to watch.

https://interactive.cbs8.com/pdfs/larry_response_family.pdf

Last edited:
IMO, LM was most likely proactive in naming his parents guardians of the children, long before his arrest.

California was one of the first states to recognize grandparents visitation rights-- enacting legislation providing for court-ordered visitation, including when like Maya, a parent's whereabouts are unknown (and have been for at least a month).

Maya's parents didn't file a petition for visitation until May 2021 -- and the hearing on the petition was pushed back (I believe to December) after LM avoided being served until September! In response to the petition, LM's declaration was over the top! I think there may have been mediation scheduled but don't recall for certain...

Visitation Rights of Grandparents - custody_famlaw_selfhelp
'He's Trying To Cut Ties With The Family': Husband Of Missing Maya Millete Battles In-Laws Over Visitation Rights | Oxygen Official Site
Husband of missing mother, Maya Millete, files response in family court | cbs8.com

Updating my post -- Maternal grandparents amended the petition 6/29/2021
LM responded by declaration dated 9/2/2021

https://interactive.cbs8.com/pdfs/declaration.pdf

I can't find any update since he was arrested but Maya's parents were fighting for visitation before he was arrested.

https://www.10news.com/news/maya-millete/maya-milletes-family-fights-for-right-to-see-her-children

I believe that they should renew the motion and supplement it with no contact violations. It is pretty compelling evidence. It doesn't look like Maya's parents or sister has actually moved for custody (from what I could find).

ETA - another article - motion won't be heard until December :(

Parents of missing mother Maya Millete face long wait for visitation with grandkids | cbs8.com
with the latest developments they can file ex parte for emergency custody and idk why they havent.

IMO, this case is a very good example of how difficult it is to remove children from their California homes.

For example, even after the gun allegations, and being named a person of interest in the disappearance of the children's mother, LM's wife, there was no emergency order and/or any action by the court on behalf of the children...

I really don't know if grandparents vs grandparents will be any different.

After the petition by the maternal grandparents for visitation, LM made several allegations about Maya's family in his 9-page declaration. While I'm sure they're unfounded, no doubt the court is charged with investigating LM's allegations before ruling on visitation.

And days become weeks, months, ..... It's been painful to watch.

in my experience with CA family court, they consider anything said that isnt substantiated as hearsay. if there is no arrest record or some other legal record corroborating it, they wont investigate and dont wanna hear it.

I mean, to be fair, we don't know if the maternal grandparents have the conditions to get custody or guardianship of the children. It really is a shame that we even have to discuss this, which only means that their paternal grandparents don't have their best interests in mind. They are children and were already victimized enough. I don't see how communicating with their father the way they have been doing is healthy. Larry can't communicate with them without being a weirdo.

I’m just worried about bail …then possibly a Josh Powell type thing .

MOO

If they grant him bail, I'll probably develop a brain aneurysm. I can't see it happening now that he's shot himself in the foot repeatedly but then I think about Barry Morphew and I know there's a possibility. Here's hoping that the missing gun, apparent preparations to flee, and repeated violations of both the GVRO & court order will be enough to keep him behind bars.

MOO

I mean, to be fair, we don't know if the maternal grandparents have the conditions to get custody or guardianship of the children. It really is a shame that we even have to discuss this, which only means that their paternal grandparents don't have their best interests in mind. They are children and were already victimized enough. I don't see how communicating with their father the way they have been doing is healthy. Larry can't communicate with them without being a weirdo.
True, and I think you bring up some very valid points. LM alleges that the maternal grandparents are elderly and do with limited English speaking skills. We also have no confirmation that Maricris desires custody of the children. In fact, at LM's arrest, she was very supportive of the paternal grandparents keeping care of the children. MOO

True, and I think you bring up some very valid points. LM alleges that the maternal grandparents are elderly and do with limited English speaking skills. We also have no confirmation that Maricris desires custody of the children. In fact, at LM's arrest, she was very supportive of the paternal grandparents keeping care of the children. MOO
Yes. I also understand how his parents might have a hard time dealing with this situation too. It would probably be better if some outside help was provided to navigate this situation. He can't communicate with his children right now, that's the rule so they have to abide by it. It's important to support the children though, it's their father and they're too little, they will need help to figure out how to go about this situation. Their mommy is no longer there either. I just feel awful for those poor kids. And the oldest daughter is at a really difficult age, poor thing.

Larry's parents may just be reprimanded by the courts, and not relieved of their guardianship care. It's not just a matter of whisking those children away out of their childhood home. We don't know if there's any other family members on Maya's side of the family that can provide them with a new home and them all staying together. What about what the children want? I think the oldest daughter might have been a Daddy's girl, and yes, she is at a difficult age. It's not just a matter of getting them out of the house now. LM's parents might very well be some security for them right now. MOO, they need to see a family counselor on a steady basis starting yesterday. It's very common in custody battles as well that counseling is suggested for the children. The family courts do not like to change everything if what has been going on has provided security for the child. Yes, their father has placed them in a confusing, horrible situation. They might be torn to be loyal to him. They need help with their feelings. They need to talk to an objective person. Psychological help getting through this is of the utmost importance.

Would Larry have any parental rights at this time?

He’s not allowed to speak to his children but can he still make decisions for them?

Is Larry an only child? I don’t recall any discussions regarding any siblings on Larry’s side of the family.

Larry Millete to have phone privileges restricted in jail
SAN DIEGO (KGTV) — Larry Millete will have his phone privileges restricted while in jail, only able to call his attorney, according to a judge on Wednesday.

“I believe that you understood what your orders were and you violated them blatantly,” said Judge Maryann D’Addezio.

Prosecutors said Wednesday that the husband of missing Chula Vista mother Maya Millete has made more than 129 phone calls in jail, and about nine hours worth of those calls have been directly to his children. Some of those calls have been in the middle of the night.

Millete was arrested on Oct. 19 and charged with the murder of Maya by Chula Vista Police. Maya has been missing since January and hasn't been seen or heard from since.

He was given a protective order during the last hearing and told not to contact any witnesses or his three children. Prosecutors said he violated that order.

"Asked his 11-year-old to read headlines to him, asked to help calculate what the mortgage will be," prosecutors said.

Prosecutors alleged that he has asked the children to watch the movie “Shot Caller” and to read him news headlines. They feel like this is traumatizing the children more.

His attorney, Bonita Martinez, claimed he was never given a physical copy of the order, while the judge said he blatantly violated the order.

Millete's lawyer also said she will file a motion to modify the restraining order to try to allow him to contact his kids. His lawyer told ABC 10News that all phone calls he makes are monitored and recorded.

All I can say is WOW…these poor kids, I really feel for them. He’s so controlling, he can’t even stop himself while he’s in jail. SMH.
This is insane. How is he even able to physically make these calls? Isn’t he locked up? Ugh. He’s a demon father.
Sorry - I’m behind on this forum!

Would Larry have any parental rights at this time?

He’s not allowed to speak to his children but can he still make decisions for them?

Is Larry an only child? I don’t recall any discussions regarding any siblings on Larry’s side of the family.

Under the presumption of innocence, LM is innocent until proven guilty so I expect he's not lost his parental rights because he's sitting in jail.

It took a couple of months after P Frazee was convicted of killing the mother of his child (K Berreth) before a termination of parental rights hearing was set.

Frazee’s Parental Rights Hearing set for January | FOX21 News Colorado

Larry's parents may just be reprimanded by the courts, and not relieved of their guardianship care. It's not just a matter of whisking those children away out of their childhood home. We don't know if there's any other family members on Maya's side of the family that can provide them with a new home and them all staying together. What about what the children want? I think the oldest daughter might have been a Daddy's girl, and yes, she is at a difficult age. It's not just a matter of getting them out of the house now. LM's parents might very well be some security for them right now. MOO, they need to see a family counselor on a steady basis starting yesterday. It's very common in custody battles as well that counseling is suggested for the children. The family courts do not like to change everything if what has been going on has provided security for the child. Yes, their father has placed them in a confusing, horrible situation. They might be torn to be loyal to him. They need help with their feelings. They need to talk to an objective person. Psychological help getting through this is of the utmost importance.

How secure and safe are LM's parents if they can't or won't abide by the court order? There are reasons witnesses are protected and tampering is against the law. The grandparents have shown they can't be trusted. While a judge will take a child's wants into consideration, when it come to safety or legal issues, a judge will have the final say.

These kids need out of there now.

Moo.

Apologies if this has already been brought up, but I keep thinking about LM's arraignment, where he said he had hearing issues and needed the judge to speak up. Was his hearing ever known to be an issue before? Because I immediately could not help but speculate that it might have been from firing a loud gun in an enclosed space, without proper ear protection. Enough loud bangs from a gun, it could definitely damage your eardrums.
He was wearing headphones in court, which I wondered about. I have only seen headphones used for translation, before, but maybe there is headphone-technology that assists with hearing. There should be, imO.
Yep, loud bangs like gunshots could damage your hearing. Especially if there were eight such bangs. IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23