Identified! AL - Bibb Co, WhtMal UP13483, 14-17, MVA/hitchhiker, tattoo: RY + LOVE Mar'61 - Daniel Armantrout

Danny was not 16 as erroneously reported. I’ve done my research in the Florida State Census and found that he was born between October and December 1945 - so he was 15 at the time (not much of a difference but sadder to think he was that young) :(

Last edited:
Danny was not 16 as erroneously reported. I’ve done my research in the Florida State Census and found that he was born between July and December 1945 - so he was 15 at the time (not much of a difference but sadder to think he was that young) :(
According to an article on Newspapers.com that features his birth announcement, he was born on December 28, 1945.

What about a high school year book photo? He should have one being high school age surely? Im not american so i dont know what age year books start in the states. According to his brother they were living in a small town when he ran away so in theory shouldnt be hard to find a photo online of old year books.
The family moved a lot apparently, plus we don’t know if they stayed long enough in places to ever be photographed for a yearbook.

Fantastic news! So glad Danny got his name back. Sixty one years unnamed! That is incredible. I think the trickle of identifications will become a landslide soon. So sad how many relatives lived and died without ever knowing what happened to their loved ones.

In this day and age with everyone on IG, TT and FB armed with phones that can take thousands of pics in a day we forget just how few photos of people were actually taken during this time. My mom and dad were married in England during the war. They met in a shadow aircraft factory. Their wedding gifts were ration books. No pictures of their wedding exist. :(

RIP Danny

I wish I could attend the zoom, but I have school tomorrow so that's out of the question.

Will anyone be available to attend the zoom? Like I previously posted, I’ll be in class with my kiddos (I’m only talking right now due to this being my planning period). If anybody is planning on attending, can you tell us what they discussed and if they had any photographs shown? Thanks.

Sleuths Solve Case Of Unidentified Teenage Hitchhiker In Bibb County

It is worth noting that one newspaper account said the driver of the car, identified as 37-year-old James Arthur White of Cottondale, was killed seven months later when his car struck an embankment roughly eight miles away from where the crash had left Danny dead. A retelling of the incident that killed White appeared under the headline "Death Rode Again."

Despite the investigation initially failing to identify the young man, the case was met with an outpouring of community support and interest at the time.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ignoreme123
Back