Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #82

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going through all the reports-
9/10/2021 15:58:34-This was a public service call. It was a Sig-67, which in Sarasota County indicates either a police public service call and it's the same signal they use for a lock-out (someone locked out of their car or home). Priority level was a 5.

9/10/2021 18:26:02 -Same as the previous call.

9/11/2021 13:12:33 - This was a 1017 call, code that means "suspect present".

9/11/2021 16:38:04- Another 1017, follow-up/investigation.

9/11/2021 20:28:27- Sig-90, agency assist. Sig-90 is the code for assisting another agency, so NPPD was there to assist some other entity.

9/14/2021 14:18:29- Sig-1017. Again "suspect present". Also note this call was police officer initiated.

9/15/2021 15:21:36- Sig-16 Highway obstruction. Code is highway obstruction. Complaint about roadway obstructed.

9/16/2021 16:05:02- Sig-67 again and listed as public service. Complaint called in.

9/17/2021 11:03:46- Sig 67 again and listed as public service. Complaint called in.

9/17/2021 13:40:34- Sig 67 again and listed as public service. Officer initiated.

9/17/2021 17:36:17- Sig-15 Special Detail. Code means special detail. This call was officer initiated. Special detail is when LE provides security for a public or private event, i.e. a parade or a protest.

9/17/2021 18:47:14- Sig-8 Missing Person. This was the initial intake for a missing person (Brian Laundrie). This was also officer initiated.

9/18/2021 06:06:23- Sig-15 Special Detail. Officer initiated.

9/18/2021 08:01:01- Sig-15 Special Detail. Officer initiated.

9/18/2021 12:11:14- Sig-15 Special Detail. Officer initiated.

9/18/2021 10:28:21- Sig-15 Special Detail. Officer initiated. (property checked)

9/19/2021 06:11:58-Sig-15 Special Detail. Officer initiated. (property checked)

9/19/2021 09:07:32- Sig-15 Special Detail. Officer initiated.

9/20/2021 09:52:44-Sig 90 Agency Assist. NPPD was assisting another entity. Officer initiated.

9/20/2021 18:02:23- Sig 15 Special Detail. Officer initiated. (property check)

9/21/2021 06:13:32- Sig 15 Special Detail. Officer initiated. (property check and assisting another officer)

9/23/2021 05:46:15- Sig 15 Special Detail. Officer initiated. (duplicate event)

9/24/2021 05:56:08- Sig 15 Special Detail. Officer initiated. (property check)

9/24/2021 06:01:24- Sig 15 Special Detail. Officer initiated. (property check)

9/24/2021 12:03:16- Sig 15 Special Detail. Officer initiated. (property check)

9/24/2021 13:17:05- Sig 15 Special Detail. Officer initiated. (property check)

9/24/2021 15:26:11- Sig 87 Patrol Check. Officer initiated. (property check) A Patrol Check is fulfilling a request to patrol a specific area.

9/24/2021 18:40:54- Sig 131 Suspicious Incident. A report was submitted.

9/24/2021 21:23:01- Sig 87 Patrol Check. Officer initiated. (property check)

9/24/2021 21:50:12- Sig 87 Patrol Check. Officer initiated. (property check)

9/25/2021 01:24:52- Sig 87 Patrol Check. Officer initiated. (property check)
9/25/2021 02:46:45- Sig 87 Patrol Check. Officer initiated. (property check)

9/25/2021 04:52:09- Sig 87 Patrol Check. Officer initiated. (property check)

9/25/2021 08:29:36- Sig 87 Patrol Check. Officer initiated. (property check)

9/25/2021 16:17:48- Sig 67 Public Service. Officer initiated and the problem was resolved.

9/25/2021 20:02:07- Sig 67 Public Service. Someone lodged a complaint and the problem was resolved.

9/26/2021 10:10:39- Sig 87 Patrol Check. Officer initiated. (property check)

9/26/2021 10:54:21- 1017 Follow Up Investigation. Officer initiated.

9/26/2021 22:49:57- Sig 87 Patrol Check. Officer initiated. (property check)

9/27/2021 08:06:45- Sig 22 Disturbance. Someone called this one in.

9/27/2021 08:28:01- Sig 63 Park/Walk/Talk. Officer initiated. Park/walk/talk is a strategy used by LE to connect with a neighborhood.

9/27/2021 13:29:42- Sig 67 Public Service. Someone lodged a complaint and the problem was resolved.

9/27/2021 14:45:45- Sig 67 Public Service. Someone lodged a complaint and the problem was resolved.

9/27/2021 16:13:01- Sig 15 Special Detail. Officer initiated. (property check)

9/27/2021 17:09:26- Sig 67 Public Service. Someone lodged a complaint and whoever was causing the complaint was unable to be located.

Sarasota County (FL) - The RadioReference Wiki

The majority of the calls were in regards to the protestors. It does seem that NPPD went to the home for some issue on the 10th, it could have been in response to the call from the Petito's or completely unrelated, imo.
On the 11th, the first two calls were a follow up to the calls on the 10th. The last call on 9/11 was the NPPD assisting the missing person's report from NY. This was where they were met by the Laundries with a card and a refusal to answer any questions. The van was also taken from the Laundries by LE at this time.
Petito's family reported her missing to the Suffolk County Police Department in New York at approximately 6:55 p.m.
Gabby Petito timeline: Everything we know about her disappearance
North Port authorities go to Laundrie's home that night and ask to speak to him and his family, but "we were essentially handed the information for their attorney," Taylor, the police spokesperson, says.
Timeline of Gabby Petito case - CNN
The white van Gabby and Brian traveled in was taken from the Laundrie family home on this date.
Gabby Petito case: A timeline of her disappearance and homicide

On 9/14, LE noted that the suspect (Brian) was present. This one confuses me because LE states they mistook RL for Brian when the car returned on 9/15 so I'm not sure how they noted that Brian was present at the residence on that date. And there is no police incident report for the 15th on this so I'm wondering if LE got their dates mixed up, moo.
...the mix-up happened on Wednesday, Sept. 15 – two days before a missing person report for Laundrie was filed ...
North Port PD admits to mistaking Roberta Laundrie for Brian Laundrie the week he disappeared | WFLA

On 9/15, the police responded to a complaint for some obstruction in the road, most likely the news crews.

On 9/16 NPPD held a news conference, Joe Petito was there pleading for help. There were protests at the Laundrie home that afternoon and evening.
North Port Police Department holds press conference
Timeline of Gabby Petito and Brian Laundrie's road trip, investigation

On 9/17 The bullhorns gathered at the Laundrie property. This was also the day that LE went to the home and removed items within the home. The last call on that day was LE going into the home to remove evidence and the officers found Brian wasn't there and initiated a missing person report on Brian. The police log states the missing person report was initiated by LE, not by SB or the Laundries.

Protestors gathered outside the home of Brian Laundrie on Friday night, instead of a scheduled vigil at nearby North Port City Hall. With several police cars on the block, authorities have been inside the home for more than a hour.
Detectives carried what appeared to be small brown paper evidence bags into the house and searched cars at the property.

From 9/18-9/19 the calls were officer initiated details to deal with protestors and news crews.

On 9/20 at 9:52am NPPD assisted the FBI who performed a search on the Laundrie home and the Laundries were removed from the home for 30mins during this search.
The FBI has executed a search warrant Monday morning at the home of Brian Laundrie in North Port, and his parents were seen getting into a van with law enforcement officials.

From 9/20 6:02pm to 9/24 1:17pm, all the police activity was special detail and officer initiated. Most likely all the police activity to tend to protestors and news crews, imo.

On 9/24 at 3:26pm we see this special detail has now changed to a routine patrol.

Also on 9/24 at 6:40pm there is a suspicious incident report filed. This was a report filed from someone who heard gunshots.

North Port police said Friday afternoon reports of gunshots outside Gabby Petito’s fiancé Brian Laundrie’s home are “false.”
Police: Reports of gunshots outside Brian Laundrie’s home ‘false’ | Gephardt Daily

From 9/24 9:23pm to 9/25 8:29am we see the police are conducting routine patrols of the Laundrie home.

On 9/25 at 4:17 there is another public service call, initiated by an officer. Most likely during a routine patrol, they had some interaction with protestors or news crews,moo.

Also on 9/25 at 8pm someone called in a complaint and it was dealt with.

9/26 starts with a routine patrol at just after 10am, with a follow up to the investigation at 10:54am when the FBI returned to the Laundrie home to take items for DNA analysis and the search for Brian. The day ends with another routine patrol at 10:49pm.

The FBI took personal items belonging to Brian Laundrie on Sunday to aid in their investigation, according to the family’s attorney
FBI visits Brian Laundrie’s home, takes items for DNA matching, attorney says | WFLA

On 9/27, there is a disturbance called in at just after 8am. The bullhorns were back. A half hour later, an officer parks, walks and talks to people. Complaints were filed at 1:30pm and 2:45pm, most likely about either news crews or protestors. At 4:13pm, a public service check. And then the day ended with a final complaint at 5:09pm. Whoever the complaint was about was unable to be located.

Demonstrators gathered outside the property in North Fork, Florida, with posters and using a megaphone to shout their demands.
Yelling protesters picket Brian's home after cops get DNA samples to test

IMO, the reason for the redactions are that there was information LE didn't want the public or the Laundries to know, and that one piece of that information that was kept private until just recently is that the police installed cameras. I think one or more of the public service calls may have been for that purpose.

And for a final note, Joe Petito never went to the Laundrie home.

Petito did not go to the home physically, North Port police said separately, but expressed concern about his daughter's whereabouts.
Missing Gabby Petito's dad linked to Laundrie home incident report evening before daughter reported missing
Excellent work! Thank you for doing this.

Thanks! It refers to the van as "was located at her address" on the Sep 11th (no time given, but noted it was previously captured on video at a freeway offramp at 10:26am on Sep 1st.) And then in the next statement is summarizing the visit to the Laundrie's - they refused access to Brian and referred the officers to the Laundrie's attorney.

What I'm gathering from this is that officers had already seen that the van was not just in Florida, but at the Laundries home before they visited and were sent away. Nobody needed to ask the Laundries where Gabby's van was, officers already knew....and Mr. Bertolino was already involved (at least his business card was.). So again my question is....why? (Read; What did the Laundries know?)

What is wrong with this possible conversation when LE showed up at the Laundries'.

LE: "Hi there. Could we speak with Gabby Petito please."

Parent: "She's not here. We haven't seen her in a long time. Brian came home without her."

LE: "You haven't seen her?"

Parent: "No."

LE: "Could I speak with Brian Laundrie please."

Parent: "Sure. Just hold on a second, I'll go get him."

Brian: "I think I need a lawyer."

Parent: "Sorry, Brian doesn't want to talk with you. He has asked for a lawyer."

LE: "Do you know where Gabby is?"

Parent: "Sorry, Brian has asked for a lawyer. We would like to confer with him before answering any questions."

Because I think the messages they left were possible threatening. I’d be angry and upset if I could t find my child and I don’t think I’d have any kind words So I think some threats were made and the laundries realized they needed a lawyer
This is why they never returned any calls imo!
From what I’ve seen/read, I wouldn’t mess with JP without an attorney either. JMO

There is no question that the Laundrie parents were prioritizing the protection of their son above all else. I agree that is probably every parents' first response. Certainly, they were under no legal obligation to respond to Gabby's family ~ no matter how desperately they pleaded for help.
So, IMO, self preservation won over decency. Forget that part about trying to treat others as you hope they would treat you. Don't have to walk in anyone else's shoes. And, as for 'it takes a village' ~ No thanks you take care of the village; I'll take care of my own.
So yes, all actions (and lack of) on the Laundrie part were legal and justified because they were protecting their son.
And just look at how that turned out for them in the end. Mournfully sad.

What is wrong with this possible conversation when LE showed up at the Laundries'.

Parent: "She's not here. We haven't seen her in a long time. Brian came home without her."

Parent: "Sorry, Brian doesn't want to talk with you. He has asked for a lawyer."

Parent: "Sorry, Brian has asked for a lawyer. We would like to confer with him before answering any questions."

Is there anyone -- any parent, any attorney, any member of the media, any law enforcement officer-- who has mentioned that someone at the Laundrie home engaged any questions about Gabby (if she's there, how long since she's been seen)?

Because the only conversation I've seen described more likely went something like this:
LE: "Hi there, we're from NPPD doing a welfare check on Gabby Petito."
Mr/Mrs. Laundrie: "Here is the contact information for our attorney. Please refer any questions you have for any member of our household to him."

Gabby's mom has said that on 11th, detectives told her the van and Brian were in Florida. She clearly connected the dots because her first question was the same one everyone else had: "Where's Gabby???"

I own a business and do not have an attorney on retainer. I've been involved in innumerable start-ups, and we engaged attorneys but did not have them "on retainer," for what it's worth. I would be willing to bet that "having an attorney on retainer" is a rarity for a routine small business. JMO.

I own a business and have an attorney on a retainer agreement, always have had. My friends who own similar businesses all have attorneys on retainer agreements. If you use an attorney frequently a retainer agreement makes sense and it is cheaper than engaging attorneys for separate events. One advantage is that they are 100% familiar with your business so there is no time or money wasted in getting the attorney up to speed, so it costs less overall. Another is that if you have frequent legal questions, you can get an almost immediate answer. They also help greatly with employment law. You may not have had any of these issues with your business yet, but you may want to think about it for the future.

What is wrong is that, from my point of view as a pretend defense attorney, they said WAY too much and it could be held against them in a court of law.

They are not required to produce BL, who has probably already said he won't talk to police (perhaps many times, perhaps in the past as well as recently).

The "she's not here" segment of the parental speech act would, I think be a reasonable minimum answer. The next two sentences should not be uttered to a police man. They should then hand over the card of their attorney. LE cannot enter their home without a warrant. There is no probable cause at that point in time.

And that's how a person should behave if LE shows up at the door (especially if you truly have no clue why they are there - which has happened to many people).

Is there anyone -- any parent, any attorney, any member of the media, any law enforcement officer-- who has mentioned that someone at the Laundrie home engaged any questions about Gabby (if she's there, how long since she's been seen)?

Because the only conversation I've seen described more likely went something like this:
Mr/Mrs. Laundrie: "Here is the contact information for our attorney. Please refer any questions you have for any member of our household to him."

Gabby's mom has said that on 11th, detectives told her the van and Brian were in Florida. She clearly connected the dots because her first question was the same one everyone else had: "Where's Gabby???"

Well...yeah. LE comes to Laundrie door looking for Gabby and Gabby's van is in the driveway, so a very reasonable ask.

"Ask our attorney" as the only response is indeed an answer that is going to get LE very interested in the Laundrie situation.

"She's not here, ask our attorney," is way better. But LE can tell she's not there because they are speaking loudly enough at the door of that 1400 sf home that they know Gabby would come to the door on her own, if she was there...she's not there. Van is, she's not.

Dots fell into slots and many computations were made by Gabby's family and LE at that point in time.

If I may…… there was a video made a few weeks ago of the van being moved to StPete I believe

Yes thank you I remember that. It turns out the poster I responded to was talking about the van in Wyoming seen on video and before Gabby was found, where the Petito's put up a picture of a stock picture of a van that looked like Gabby. Very early on in the case.

That's the impression given by NPPD who have been quite happy to paint the Laundries as "uncooperative" and blame them for their botched handling of the case.

Who would tell us otherwise?

And why, then, were there 5 visits total on the 10th and 11th? Or were there? Do we know each of those police reports represents a visit?

https://www.scribd.com/document/526506380/Search-Warrant-Hard-Drive-Gabby-Petito-Brian-Laudrie

page 5 item 9

Oh my goodness, thank you. I've been under the impression the entire time that they had been advised against responding at all. Thank you again! In case anyone needs it, I'll copy it here since it's not in a format that can be copied:

Brian Laundries family stated that the subject was not at the residence and they did not know her whereabouts. They refused to allow Brian to speak with law enforcement and directed officers on scene to speak with their attorney.

Edit: Started --> stated.

Last edited:
That's the impression given by NPPD who have been quite happy to paint the Laundries as "uncooperative" and blame them for their botched handling of the case.

And why, then, were there 5 visits total on the 10th and 11th? Or were there? Do we know each of those police reports represents a visit?

Dispatch seems to indicate a call-out; resolved quickly two times on the first day - not sure about second day - to me it seems that the times on the first ady's visits were quick, then more time spent and with different kind of codes used for whatever it was.

How did NPPD botch the case, other than mistaking BL's mom for him? I admit that's a head-scratcher...but BL wasn't so tall and sometimes wore sweatshirts and maybe she had her hoodie up. I think NPPD just assumed a parent had gone and retrieved him from the swamp (why they weren't watching more closely, with a person actually on the sidewalk...I do not know...I guess they just thought it was still a simple missing persons case at that point in time and weren't too interested in it).

Oh my goodness, thank you. I've been under the impression the entire time that they had been advised against responding at all. Thank you again! In case anyone needs it, I'll copy it here since it's not in a format that can be copied:

Brian Laundries family started that the subject was not at the residence and they did not know her whereabouts. They refused to allow Brian to speak with law enforcement and directed officers on scene to speak with their attorney.
*stated

happy to help

Brian Laundries family started that the subject was not at the residence and they did not know her whereabouts. They refused to allow Brian to speak with law enforcement and directed officers on scene to speak with their attorney.

So, they definitely gave an answer to the only question LE had much right to ask: Where is Gabby? They say, "Not here" and "We don't know." Both truthful statements, unless someone can prove otherwise.

They said the minimum possible...but still responded appropriately and cooperatively to LE's actual questions. They can't control what BL wants to do.

Well...yeah. LE comes to Laundrie door looking for Gabby and Gabby's van is in the driveway, so a very reasonable ask.

"Ask our attorney" as the only response is indeed an answer that is going to get LE very interested in the Laundrie situation.

"She's not here, ask our attorney," is way better. But LE can tell she's not there because they are speaking loudly enough at the door of that 1400 sf home that they know Gabby would come to the door on her own, if she was there...she's not there. Van is, she's not.

Dots fell into slots and many computations were made by Gabby's family and LE at that point in time.

Is there any way officers might have been able to discover -- by the time they visited the house the 11th-- that Brian had traveled home to Florida in the van alone?

Excellent breakdown of those reports, based on redacted reports and thorough and thoughtful links, can be found here
Found Deceased - WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #82

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PRJ