Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #82

Status
Not open for further replies.
<modsnip - quoted post removed>

I think that's right, IMO. A possible cause of action would be intentional/negligent infliction of emotional distress, I think? To prove that, BL's parents would have to prove that the Ls had a duty to act (what would a reasonable person do in that specific situation) within that narrow window of time and that their failure to act caused the GPs parents emotional distress. A valuation of the emotional distress would be challenging. How do you value the difference between the level of emotional distress you feel because your child is missing vs. the increased level of emotional distress due to the Ls non-compliance (if the facts show that to be true). The outcome was the same. GP had already been killed. If it turns out that BL told his parents that he had killed GP when he got home, and they did know, then there might be a stronger case? Certainly, the fact would weigh more heavily in GP's parents favor. All MOO.

Last edited by a moderator:
They only took care of there own. They were only were interested in Brian. They chose and stated to stay in the background in finding Gabby. They have done nothing to help find Gabby.

The Laundries told LE that they did not know where Gabby was.

It was Brian who chose not to reveal where Gabby was or help them find her.

Why are people so focused on Brian's parents? It is bizarre, frankly. Brian is the perpetrator here and his parents are innocent victims.

IMHO, I think some people are confusing the question of whether her family could win a lawsuit with the question of whether they could file a lawsuit. Unlike in criminal cases, which rely on the state/city/feds to bring a case, her parents can sue the Laundries for whatever they want to sue them for, e.g., negligent emotional distress. Whether they would be successful is a different question. However, there could be quite a bit of information that could come out in connection with a suit, depending on how far they got, regardless of whether or not the Petito/Schmidt family won.

I think that's right, IMO. A possible cause of action would be intentional/negligent infliction of emotional distress, I think? To prove that, BL's parents would have to prove that the Ls had a duty to act (what would a reasonable person do in that specific situation) within that narrow window of time and that their failure to act caused the GPs parents emotional distress. A valuation of the emotional distress would be challenging. How do you value the difference between the level of emotional distress you feel because your child is missing vs. the increased level of emotional distress due to the Ls non-compliance (if the facts show that to be true). The outcome was the same. GP had already been killed. If it turns out that BL told his parents that he had killed GP when he got home, and they did know, then there might be a stronger case? Certainly, the fact would weigh more heavily in GP's parents favor. All MOO.

I don't see how GP's parents could prove that the L's had a legal duty to talk to GP's family or that the L's failure to answer their telephone was reckless. extreme or outrageous. But even assuming that could be proven are they really going to argue that their inability to talk to the L's caused the severe emotional distress they suffered? Not G's death but the telephone failure?

Maybe they will bring suit against the L's but I doubt it. I can't imagine it would make them feel better and regardless of the outcome, it would open them up to public criticism (losing their "high road" & being seen as in it for the money) Plus if there was a court case, any "unattractive" facts about GP couldn't be hidden. Sounds like a real mistake to me.
JMO

Brian was a 23 year old able-minded adult. It can be difficult to get LE to accept a missing person report against an adult. You have to convince them the person is actually missing and not just taking some time to themselves or whatever. And when the missing person is an adult LE is not going to tell you where they are, even if they find them. That is private information.

So the Laundries likely decided to give it a few days. And then, beginning on the 15th, LE started saying they knew where Brian was. So there's no reason to tell LE to look for Brian when they already know where he is. On the 16th and potentially the 15th, as far as the Laundries knew, LE knew where Brian was. It wasn't until the FBI phoned Bertolino on the 17th and asked about a Brian sighting that they worked out that Brian was truly missing.
Or they knew Brian was going to run, and they were giving him a head start.

Also if there's anything bad about Gabby I bet they won't release it. But they sure did release a lot about Watts and Frazee. So I'm hopeful we will get a media dump at some point.
I'm not sure how much will be released. They'll want to release enough to prove that there is no other killer out there. I mean you can't prosecute a dead person so they'll never be a true conviction, but they'll want to assure the public that there is no other person involved in this that could present a future danger.
In every case I've followed I've always been shocked at what LE knew and I've always been shocked at how senseless each murder was. I always think there must be some big thing that happened, and it's always been so sad how stupid and senseless the loss of someone's life is, especially at the hands of someone they love. There never really is a satisfying answer or reason.

IMHO, I think some people are confusing the question of whether her family could win a lawsuit with the question of whether they could file a lawsuit. Unlike in criminal cases, which rely on the state/city/feds to bring a case, her parents can sue the Laundries for whatever they want to sue them for, e.g., negligent emotional distress. Whether they would be successful is a different question. However, there could be quite a bit of information that could come out in connection with a suit, depending on how far they got, regardless of whether or not the Petito/Schmidt family won.
Even sue them to get Gabby's possessions back, or at least be told where those possessions are.

Brian was a 23 year old able-minded adult. It can be difficult to get LE to accept a missing person report against an adult. You have to convince them the person is actually missing and not just taking some time to themselves or whatever. And when the missing person is an adult LE is not going to tell you where they are, even if they find them. That is private information.

So the Laundries likely decided to give it a few days. And then, beginning on the 15th, LE started saying they knew where Brian was. So there's no reason to tell LE to look for Brian when they already know where he is. On the 16th and potentially the 15th, as far as the Laundries knew, LE knew where Brian was. It wasn't until the FBI phoned Bertolino on the 17th and asked about a Brian sighting that they worked out that Brian was truly missing.

I highly doubt that NPPD/FBI would have hesitated to accept a missing persons report about BL. He was the only person of interest in Gabby's murder and they were getting ready to file fraud/theft charges.

I highly doubt that NPPD/FBI would have hesitated to accept a missing persons report about BL. He was the only person of interest in Gabby's murder and they were getting ready to file fraud/theft charges.

Well, at the time BL initially went missing GP's body had not been found so BL wasn't in a POI in her murder yet. And at the time the NPPD thought BL was in the house we now know. (All we knew at the time was they claimed they knew where he was )

JMO

Again, the Laundries told LE that they did not know where Gabby was.

The loss of Gabby is 100% on Brian.
No they did not, they said they had no comment in regards to Gabby, refused to have any discussions with LE at all, would not discuss what Brian's conversations were with them with when he returned on the 1st, had their atty on stand by to be sure LE did not ask a single question about Gabby when they went to the house on Friday to discuss where Brian was. This was before her body was found, what if there had been an opportunity to save her, what if unbeknownst to them Brian had revealed info that could have helped her? They did not cooperate in the search for Gabby, they cooperated in regards to the search for their son. MOO

edited to add, they knew she was deceased MOO

Yes, it seems to me that information would be the only real reason to sue the Estate of Brian Laundrie (which, in theory, is now in the hands of his parents).

I am not sure how it would all work out, but if not thrown out of court at the first hearing, some discovery would likely take place - and perhaps Gabby's family wants that very much. I would hope that the FBI would simply give the family all that they have - which is probably the best anyone can do, in this case (and would include of course unredacted records from NPPD). I do not know if the FBI will do this, though. A FOIA request would probably work, if the FBI closed the file (I am still awaiting the next investigatory step here - what is the FBI going to do? Keep the case open and ask for further tips? That seems really unlikely...)

I think the FBI will conclude the case in some fashion.

No they did not, they said they had no comment in regards to Gabby, refused to have any discussions with LE at all, would not discuss what Brian's conversations were with them with when he returned on the 1st, had their atty on stand by to be sure LE did not ask a single question about Gabby when they went to the house on Friday to discuss where Brian was. This was before her body was found, what if there had been an opportunity to save her, what if unbeknownst to them Brian had revealed info that could have helped her? They did not cooperate in the search for Gabby, they cooperated in regards to the search for their son. MOO

edited to add, they knew she was deceased MOO
LE says they did

https://www.scribd.com/document/526506380/Search-Warrant-Hard-Drive-Gabby-Petito-Brian-Laudrie

Page 5 item 9

The Laundries told LE that they did not know where Gabby was.

It was Brian who chose not to reveal where Gabby was or help them find her.

Why are people so focused on Brian's parents? It is bizarre, frankly. Brian is the perpetrator here and his parents are innocent victims.
I wouldn’t call them innocent. LE stated they did not and would not cooperate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie