UK UK - Suzy Lamplugh, 25, Fulham, 28 July 1986

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is interesting, another sleuth just pointed out to me that this photo fit of Esme Anne Hoad's killer looks very similar to the person who may have killed Susie. ESME ANNE HOAD

This is interesting, another sleuth just pointed out to me that this photo fit looks very similar to the person who may have killed Susie. ESME ANNE HOAD

The Crimewatch reconstruction clearly shows MG knocking on the door at Shorrolds Road, and as he actually took part in this you would think his movements would be exactly the same as when he went to the house 3 months earlier.

As @WestLondoner said in his previous post it is strange that at least 4 witnesses noticed Suzy and an unknown man standing outside the house around 1.00, yet just a few hours later apparently no-one noticed MG and his companion knocking on the door and (presumably) shouting Suzy's name.

Very odd.
I guess Harry Riglin confused when the couple wete

The Crimewatch reconstruction clearly shows MG knocking on the door at Shorrolds Road, and as he actually took part in this you would think his movements would be exactly the same as when he went to the house 3 months earlier.

As @WestLondoner said in his previous post it is strange that at least 4 witnesses noticed Suzy and an unknown man standing outside the house around 1.00, yet just a few hours later apparently no-one noticed MG and his companion knocking on the door and (presumably) shouting Suzy's name.

Very odd.
I guess Harry Riglin confused when the couple were knocking on the door ( He thought it was 1pm when it was actually 4pm)

The female may have called Sturgis and the pub on her quest to find her. She probably knew that SL was collecting her things sometime on Monday (Sturgis staff knew she was collecting her stuff sometime that day)
Yes, however, its not mentioned in the Stephen book (but I guess its such a small detail that it may have been omitted). I think WiseOwl went for option 3 from my previous post. This is the most complex, you need to explain the phone calls (if CV is telling the truth).
If the couple are responsible why would the female call the pub saying "try and keep her there, or she'll do a runner", if the male had already abducted her? No mobile phones, so the two may have split up chasing SJL, the second call from the male would be to see how much time he had.
Another option is that CV tried to keep her at the PoW and this went badly wrong, he then lied about the second call and didn't call "Sarah" back and didn't give the police the phone number either.

Those phone calls are probably key to the whole thing. They mean two other people knew she was going to that pub that afternoon, but they are still bewildering calls to have happened.

What is first baffling is how anyone else knew where she was headed. It was not in her interests to tell her work colleagues, because the whole basis of her going out was for work purposes, not an errand to a pub. So whoever these callers learned of her itinerary from, it wasn't via anyone at her office.

So who else knew?

1/ Her bank knew where her stuff was, because they told her. There's no reason to think they knew she was going there that afternoon. She didn't know herself when she'd be going, for that matter; not until she called the pub to arrange a pickup. So SJL herself only knew at about 12.40 that she was going to the pub. And why would her bank phone the pub anyway?

2/ Staff at the pub knew she was coming - but according to CV via DV, the two calls were from people who already knew about the diary and the visit. So they had not learned of it from the pub.

The "police" call is perhaps explicable if CV is simply honestly mistaken abut the day it happened. But if it actually happened the next day, he'd also have to be wrong about what was said as well as when. He says the police wanted to know if she'd been for the cheque book yet. They would not have asked that after she disappeared unless they somehow knew she was headed there and were trying to establish if she ever got there. In this case, though, how did they know? The pub staff reckon they told the police about the chequebook, in which case the phone call was pointless.

And then separately an unidentified woman knew.

What exactly does AS say about this postponed appointment?

Good line of thinking WL.

You'd imagine during the course of the morning, SL herself divulged that info herself ....

'I'm heading to Prince of Wales, Putney at lunchtime .... I'll call by for 5 minutes ....' ???

Off Topic
I chanced upon a BBC TV series called Expert Witness, its a 30 minute doc that is aired during the afternoon. It’s on iPlayer and I’ve watched a few, it covers one and sometimes two crimes from a forensic viewpoint.
The ones I’ve watched have been crimes similar to SJL abduction and the experts have most of the airtime.
If you’re remotely interested in how the forensics work it’s worth the 30 minutes.
Most of the crimes are cold cases and the last one I watched was 47 years old, and they got a conviction.
The sad thing is that in the case of SJL the only evidence that may have contained the perpetrators DNA, or a fibre sample etc was contaminated repeatedly by the police using it in a reconstruction. If it had been sealed (as most evidence is) advances in science may have revealed the abductors.

@ Crusader

It's the actual nitty gritty of what-happened-when that I struggle with on this.

During that last morning, CV comes into work and finds time during the handover stocktake to call SJL's bank and report finding her stuff; we don't know when.

The bank then phones SJL; again, we don't know when.

SJL calls the pub and arranges to collect her stuff, then fills in a duff appointment in her desk diary. We don't know exactly when this call occurred, other than that (obviously) it was after the two previous. It was perhaps as late as 12.40, right before she actually left. It was probably no earlier than whenever she realised the head honcho was around , meaning if she weren't around, her diary needed to show a reason why not. So she made this call between 11.30 maybe, to 12.40.

So the only time she had an opportunity to organise another meeting was after setting up the visit to the PoW, whenever she did, and before setting out. Otherwise, she could not have known she would be there in order to say so to anyone else.

Assuming she did, and that conversation passed unnoticed in the office, she could perhaps have had an existing meeting set up. She then calls that contact to say she'll be going via the pub first. But she apparently fails to show, and later, that contact, "Sarah", calls the pub to ask where is she. This is a workable sequence - but of course it says that "Sarah" had nothing to do with the abduction. If she had, she would know whether SJL was at the pub or not.

The above works to put an explanation on the woman's call, but not the one from a man claiming to be plod.

@ Crusader

It's the actual nitty gritty of what-happened-when that I struggle with on this.

During that last morning, CV comes into work and finds time during the handover stocktake to call SJL's bank and report finding her stuff; we don't know when.

The bank then phones SJL; again, we don't know when.

SJL calls the pub and arranges to collect her stuff, then fills in a duff appointment in her desk diary. We don't know exactly when this call occurred, other than that (obviously) it was after the two previous. It was perhaps as late as 12.40, right before she actually left. It was probably no earlier than whenever she realised the head honcho was around , meaning if she weren't around, her diary needed to show a reason why not. So she made this call between 11.30 maybe, to 12.40.

So the only time she had an opportunity to organise another meeting was after setting up the visit to the PoW, whenever she did, and before setting out. Otherwise, she could not have known she would be there in order to say so to anyone else.

Assuming she did, and that conversation passed unnoticed in the office, she could perhaps have had an existing meeting set up. She then calls that contact to say she'll be going via the pub first. But she apparently fails to show, and later, that contact, "Sarah", calls the pub to ask where is she. This is a workable sequence - but of course it says that "Sarah" had nothing to do with the abduction. If she had, she would know whether SJL was at the pub or not.

The above works to put an explanation on the woman's call, but not the one from a man claiming to be plod.

To keep it simple as poss .....

You are bang on until right up to SL filling in the duff appt in diary with big boss floating around, as you say around noon maybe.

Did the male from the couple ring SL then, noon to 12.45? SL had been avoiding the couple after pulling out of the business venture, 'Beauty and Brians'. With SL providing the beauty aspect there was no business.

Did SL finally agree to face him (them), a brief meeting to say she was pulling out? (Which perhaps descended into an attack?)

Money had already been spent on the venture. Online records show the male filed for bankruptcy 2 weeks afterwards. It's easy to see how he (they) would have been annoyed / angry with an elevnth hour change of heart from SL.

It is hard to explain the phone calls to the pub. As someone said previously, if SL pencilled in another last minute lunchtime brief meeting then they too would have been aware of her intentions of going to the pub.

Where the calls designed to buy time or miscommunications on the couples behalf?

As you say no one else (Sturgis, etc) knew she was PoW bound ....

Berry Dee States that Sturgis staff, the landlord and the killer knew about her trip to the pub. IMO Sunday night is the key to this - she loses her things or someone advises her to pull out of the business deal. On Monday, she's preoccupied with something and yet she's quite cheerful.

@Crusader21

I see. So there's an existing appointment, partner calls wanting a meeting, SL says she has to go to the pub, irate business partner intercepts her...?

Last edited:
@Crusader21

I see. So there's an existing appointment, partner calls wanting a meeting, SL says she has to go to the pub, irate business partner intercepts her...?
All adds up, however, it’s very odd that in 35 years none of the police investigations have even looked at this possibility.
Don’t you find this strange?

So I am in the middle of reading the book and I know Suzie’s parents are dead but have her siblings spoken out on the book?

I don’t know how much to take as gospel as after 32 years peoples memories are not going to be the best. The POW certainly seems intriguing but again is CV just misremembering?!

I'm actually starting to think DV has given CV a pseudonym to protect him not because he's guilty, but because he isn't.

There is much omitted in DV's book, presumably because it pertains to his actual suspect.

I'm actually starting to think DV has given CV a pseudonym to protect him not because he's guilty, but because he isn't.

There is much omitted in DV's book, presumably because it pertains to his actual suspect.

I am only half way though the book - how do you know how much has been omitted?

Quite significant pieces of the story, such as the BW sighting, are completely omitted. The conclusion DV reaches points, inferentially, towards someone with absolutely no motive. A party who might have had one does not get a mention. These feel like judicious omissions, not like oversights.

Is the BMW sighting the one by her friend?

I know there was sighting by somebody who knew her so that holds a lot of water to me when they actually knew her.

So in the book why does her boyfriend have such a odd meltdown? He also went back on what he had told police 30 years previously!

I still need to read a lot more of the book but I’m not convinced she was going to the POW pub that afternoon when it’s been stated she lived literally one road over. So it’s just convenient to go and pick it up on her way home.

So if she did put in a fake appointment even though it seems like she has no history of doing such things then it has to be more personal I think than going to the POW pub.

IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member