WA WA - Mead, UnkMale 20-50, UP10946, skull near chairlift #1 on Mt Spokane, Nov'12

sasha17

Curiouser & curiouser
Reaction score
On November 4, 2012, members of a biking club were marking out a new mountain bike trail in the area west of chairlift #1 on Mt. Spokane in a wooded area. A member noticed a something and found it to be what appeared to be a human skull. He brought the skull to the ranger station but no one was there he then left a message for the ranger by phone and returned the skull to the area it was found and flagged the area. The ranger returned to the office and got the message. The ranger found the area and the skull and called the Sheriff's Office.

There are several photos of the skull and other bones on the NamUs page:
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Here is the forensic anthropology report: https://www.namus.gov/api/CaseSets/NamUs/UnidentifiedPersons/Cases/10946/Documents/1687

On November 4, 2012, members of a biking club were marking out a new mountain bike trail in the area west of chairlift #1 on Mt. Spokane in a wooded area. A member noticed a something and found it to be what appeared to be a human skull. He brought the skull to the ranger station but no one was there he then left a message for the ranger by phone and returned the skull to the area it was found and flagged the area. The ranger returned to the office and got the message. The ranger found the area and the skull and called the Sheriff's Office.

There are several photos of the skull and other bones on the NamUs page:
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Here is the forensic anthropology report: https://www.namus.gov/api/CaseSets/NamUs/UnidentifiedPersons/Cases/10946/Documents/1687

Can't search for any possible identities due to lack of information. When more information is known tell me.

I found the coordinates. I was in that exact area this past weekend poking around because of the recent snowfall. It’s pretty steep. Maybe they tumbled over the guardrail that’s on n summit road. Their is a hairpin turn there and I see people sitting on it to get photos. You can see into Idaho from that spot. It’s pretty bushwhacky right there now but there is also a trail that cuts down below that location so maybe a wayward hiker? But no other articles of clothing. So strange. I actually have a photo at that location.

This is from the hill looking up

Attachments

• 79096FE8-4105-45E2-9DC3-64C58648C4E9.jpeg
    79096FE8-4105-45E2-9DC3-64C58648C4E9.jpeg
    135.5 KB · Views: 18
@victoriarobinson642 Thanks for flagging me! I'll take a look at it later and see if there's enough structure left to even attempt a drawing. Will let you know asap.

Looks as if the skull has, perhaps, teeth marks from an animal. The photos show very little and I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to create much of a portrait with it. Sorry.

Another thing that bothers me is the area where the skull was found is within view and walking distance of the ski lodge below. It’s active in the winter season.

I find it strange that this skull was the only part found. Since this was the only bone found and it was heavily scavenged, I think it is safe to say it was likely dragged there by an animal, not uncommon for the PNW. I feel if it had been there for a while it would have been found earlier. Sadly the forest in this area is so dense it may be impossible to find anything else.

Surely they checked this missing person, Jeffrey J. Startzel, who went missing at Mt. Spokane State Park: The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Circumstances of Disappearance

Subject last seen at Mt. Spokane State Park on or about 02/14/2011. He was contacted by a Ranger in the parking lot and told he could not park his vehicle overnight. The vehicle registered to Jeffrey Startzel was towed two days later. Startzel has not been seen since then.

He hasn't been ruled out against this UID:
UP14360 08/14/2015 Bland VA
UP12854 05/23/2014 Cuyahoga OH
UP11248 08/20/2012 Fairfax VA
UP10908 08/29/2012 Fairfax VA

Surely they checked this missing person, Jeffrey J. Startzel, who went missing at Mt. Spokane State Park: The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Circumstances of Disappearance

Subject last seen at Mt. Spokane State Park on or about 02/14/2011. He was contacted by a Ranger in the parking lot and told he could not park his vehicle overnight. The vehicle registered to Jeffrey Startzel was towed two days later. Startzel has not been seen since then.

He hasn't been ruled out against this UID:
UP14360 08/14/2015 Bland VA
UP12854 05/23/2014 Cuyahoga OH
UP11248 08/20/2012 Fairfax VA
UP10908 08/29/2012 Fairfax VA

I didn’t even know their was someone possible missing in the park. It’s a large area and can be remote especially out on the Nordic trails as you get closer to the Idaho border. Their are some caves out there. do you know how to submit a suggestion?

I didn’t even know their was someone possible missing in the park. It’s a large area and can be remote especially out on the Nordic trails as you get closer to the Idaho border. Their are some caves out there. do you know how to submit a suggestion?

I did submit and never heard anything back. I presume that with so little to go on, there wasn't any way to make the comparison. Most likely the only way he'll be identified is if one of the genealogy places can take the case.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clintbentwood
Back