UK UK - Suzy Lamplugh, 25, Fulham, 28 July 1986

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the people who have read the 1988 book was the pub a bit feature in that book as well?

That made me wonder who DV had been in touch with before he got around to CV and his ex. Did he perhaps speak to anybody early on who then contacted CV or his ex first (before DV did), with the inside scoop on what DV had been asking?

You do wonder what it was the ex was so anxious not to discuss. Wouldn't most people just say Sorry, it was 35 years ago, I can't remember a thing?

Almost all the interviews are a bit weird. The woman who lived with Noel the barman yet refused to admit she knew anyone called Noel was a gem.

and yet in the interview in the book he didn’t seem combative. That was the ex wife who came across as suspicious and wanting to hide.

There's always a possibility that they both know something of what took place that Monday lunchtime, be it major or small.

And have spent 35 years living under a threat, if they were ever to divulge what they know .....

I think the whole SL mystery is strange.

IMO lots of little sub-plots and mysteries, mean fully understanding the big picture, is virtually impossible .....
Yes.
In that it has similarities with the Claudia Lawrence case.
Young attractive and vivacious women vanish into thin air and then it turns out they have interesting private lives that might have a bearing on their disappearance but their parents are adamant that this isn’t true at all.
Lots of sub plots with people close to the victim who don’t really want to speak.

it’s easy to assume that CV was weird about his ex or was upset at certain points in the interview because he was guilty but he might have mental health issues/ not remember stuff / be a bit of a compulsive exaggerator / have had a very bad break up with his ex. We don’t know anything about him.

and yet in the interview in the book he didn’t seem combative. That was the ex wife who came across as suspicious and wanting to hide.
Agree, she seems to be the one that is maybe hiding something, just wondered why CV got hot under the collar when DV said he’d spoken to her.
Yes.
In that it has similarities with the Claudia Lawrence case.
Young attractive and vivacious women vanish into thin air and then it turns out they have interesting private lives that might have a bearing on their disappearance but their parents are adamant that this isn’t true at all.
Lots of sub plots with people close to the victim who don’t really want to speak.

it’s easy to assume that CV was weird about his ex or was upset at certain points in the interview because he was guilty but he might have mental health issues/ not remember stuff / be a bit of a compulsive exaggerator / have had a very bad break up with his ex. We don’t know anything about him.
The similarity to Claudia Lawrence is striking, as you say the basic profile of these two are almost a mirror and what is coincidental is that the police arrested the pub landlord.
Maybe CV knows about this case and is waiting for the knock on the door?

He'll wait a long time if so. The police want to frame John Cannan so they can close the book on this (actually I think they more or less have). It fits him to a tee, and even if he didn't actually do it, he certainly did something else just as bad that he got away with (goes the argument). So in a roundabout way, justice is served by fitting him up.

He'll wait a long time if so. The police want to frame John Cannan so they can close the book on this (actually I think they more or less have). It fits him to a tee, and even if he didn't actually do it, he certainly did something else just as bad that he got away with (goes the argument). So in a roundabout way, justice is served by fitting him up.

Bingo

they are not going to start digging up pubs because somebody claims she is buried there without a bit of proof.

I want to see David do interviews and see if he plans to do anything more as if he really cared then he wouldn’t let this go if he has genuine information that could solve it.

Bingo

they are not going to start digging up pubs because somebody claims she is buried there without a bit of proof.

I want to see David do interviews and see if he plans to do anything more as if he really cared then he wouldn’t let this go if he has genuine information that could solve it.
Spot on with this, I personally care and would like to see SJL found so her remaining family can close this, holding back (if you know the location of her remains) because you might contaminate any evidence is a poor excuse.
I think DV has a moral responsibility to the Lamplugh's to push this until he proves he is right, not sit back and wait.
Don't think digging up the pub cellar is the right way to go, as has been said, who would leave a body in a void in the cellar when it could be found at any time and traced straight back to you.
The embankment behind has to be the first place to look.

That may be the issue. The embankment belongs to Network Rail, so you can't just waltz onto it and start digging. You'd need a court order, a search warrant in effect, and to get that you'd need to make out some sort of case to a judge that there is a body there.

A huge tree making drone footage no use, but a sizable enough area nonetheless ....

Attachments

• PoW.jpg
    PoW.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 20
Anyone know if that outbuilding / extension (with the skylight) was in place in 1986?

I think that's exactly the dining area DV is talking about.

If you look at the pub in Streetview, from the bridge looking south, you can see that extension's obviously old. It has a sort of clerestory roof, which is one where the roof is pitched but then has an elevated middle section, with vertical around panels. They used to do it on churches and trains to let daylight in through the ceiling.

If you then go to the pub's website, it has interior photos. One's of an eating area that has the same sort of "pitched ceiling", plus the end windows are clearly the same as the ones visible in the Streetview that face the road. The room also has wooden floors as described by DV.

Assuming for argument's sake that SJL did indeed meet her end at that pub, the killer ought really to have moved her as far away as possible. Under pressure of time I can see how he might place her body under that floor as a short term hiding place. But the first chance he got he'd surely have moved her, and the embankment's the obvious place. Her being concealed nearby would also explain the blowfly problem the landlord remembered. There might still be forensic traces to her under that floor, such as a hair.

By the way, I love the point someone made above about DV dwelling for ages at the start of his book about a body hidden on a railway embankment - I hadn't picked up on that but you do wonder if it's a little coded message.

I
By the way, I love the point someone made above about DV dwelling for ages at the start of his book about a body hidden on a railway embankment - I hadn't picked up on that but you do wonder if it's a little coded message.

Initially I thought this other body / murder was taking away from the SL narrative, then the penny dropped. IMO it's obvious DV thinks she's there.

Interestingly too, if you look at this thread prior to the DV book coming out in August, some of us were speculating back then that that would be an almost ideal place to place a body in the bustling capital ....

That may be the issue. The embankment belongs to Network Rail, so you can't just waltz onto it and start digging. You'd need a court order, a search warrant in effect, and to get that you'd need to make out some sort of case to a judge that there is a body there.
This is interesting because I thought that you'd only need a warrant & court order if Network Rail were unwilling to help with access. If they could be persuaded to assist and the investigation was a private affair would you still need a warrant?
The point about DV alluding to the railway embankment at the beginning of his book must be a pointer. As Crusader21 said a few of us felt this was the ideal location, especially after you follow what DV said prior to his book being published which was "just follow the timeline".
I did this and you can't help but come out at the PoW and the conclusion that the railway embankment is the first place to look. As WestLondoner said, the police have closed this case against JC and just want the whole thing to fade away.

Yes, Network Rail could give permission, but I'm sort of assuming they wouldn't. There's really nothing in it for them and at the very least they'd have to make arrangements to supervise people tramping around on their (not very safe right next to a railway) land. Worse, what if the search turns up an unexploded bomb or something? What a pain! I could well be wrong but I think they'd be unhelpful.

Yes, Network Rail could give permission, but I'm sort of assuming they wouldn't. There's really nothing in it for them and at the very least they'd have to make arrangements to supervise people tramping around on their (not very safe right next to a railway) land. Worse, what if the search turns up an unexploded bomb or something? What a pain! I could well be wrong but I think they'd be unhelpful.
Yes I get this, sometimes the right word in the right ear makes things happen, look how this worked with DL.

Another avenue to having the embankment (and possibly Pow) searched of course would be tv.

I've read DV commenting that at moment, there are no plans to link his findings with tv but what if a netflix type programme(s) were made on Britain's most mysterious missing person? After all DV is convinced he knows where SL is.

Wouldn't tv be able to fund equipment to locate remains, source trained dogs, possibly obtain relevant permission etc?

It was a real pity that recently that no body was found in ITVs Fred West investigations of a cafe.

Another avenue to having the embankment (and possibly Pow) searched of course would be tv.

I've read DV commenting that at moment, there are no plans to link his findings with tv but what if a netflix type programme(s) were made on Britain's most mysterious missing person? After all DV is convinced he knows where SL is.

Wouldn't tv be able to fund equipment to locate remains, source trained dogs, possibly obtain relevant permission etc?

It was a real pity that recently that no body was found in ITVs Fred West investigations of a cafe.
Agree, maybe that’s what DV wants? Don’t think any of our UK tv companies would be interested, or Netflix, but maybe Amazon might look at this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member