GA - Ahmaud Arbery, 25, jogger, fatally shot by former LEO and son, Brunswick, Feb 2020 *Arrests* #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Totally disagree.We have seen video of many white people go on the property but none of them were chased down and shot.I have zero doubt these 3 men would never have chased a white man down.

Could not agree more: it is so obvious he was chased due to being black. He
was a "suspect" even though he did nothing but was jogging and went into that open construction site where I am sure white people have gone and were never considered a "suspect", chased, cornered and shot.

I've been watching this and the main question I have, and one that can't be answered, is why didn't Ahmaud run between the houses? Why did he stay on the road? If I <modsnip> took off running, and a truck came up behind me and started following me, I run into an area where the truck couldn't go - between houses and yards.

Last edited by a moderator:
We can see where trying three people in a trial, who have their own defense lawyers has caused defense objections and prosecutor's limitations in providing evidence because it could affect one of the accused. I don't think Roddie Bryan Jr. should have been charged with felony murder. There is a case of false imprisonment, but it was a mistake to have him tried along with the McMichaels for felony murder. jmo

I've been watching this and the main question I have, and one that can't be answered, is why didn't Ahmaud run between the houses? Why did he stay on the road? If I <modsnip> took off running, and a truck came up behind me and started following me, I run into an area where the truck couldn't go - between houses and yards.

I think it shows that he was respecting the properties where people lived. I don’t think most really see the walking into the house being built as a big thing, having seen the same locally. I could also understand an owner being concerned about wire and other materials but not to this extent. I’ve got 2 outdoor buildings that I watch but wouldn’t think of drawing a firearm unless I was threatened.

I think it shows that he was respecting the properties where people lived. I don’t think most really see the walking into the house being built as a big thing, having seen the same locally. I could also understand an owner being concerned about wire and other materials but not to this extent. I’ve got 2 outdoor buildings that I watch but wouldn’t think of drawing a firearm unless I was threatened.
Not to mention there is a river on one side of the road, plus there were likely fences etc blocking the spaces in between the houses. Also running onto even more properties could have brought more trouble

Veronica Waters
@MissVWaters
·
11h
Gough: Did you ask Roddie Bryan if he called 911? Lowery: Don't think so. Gough: Because under GA law, he's not required to... State: Objection. Judge: Sustained

Gough & Lowery.jpg

At this point of Kevin Gough's cross-exam, one juror takes off his glasses and rubs his closed eyes, as if he’s tired. It's been nearly 2 hours since the lunch break. Gough: Could Roddie Bryan have done anything more to help you? Lowery: IDK.

Jury's out on a break.

<modsnip>

Bringing the jury back in now.

Court.jpg

Travis McMichael's atty Jason Sheffield begins cross-exam of Stephan Lowrey. (Sorry for repeated misspellings earlier! Argh!) Starts with asking about how he tackled investigation.

JS: It's not 100% accurate that the case went inactive in March; you continued work with state agencies, obtaining documents? Lowrey: Yes. Sheffield shows him papers with dates on them. Confirms to judge he's trying to block jury's view of the papers.

Sheffield.jpg

Sheffield lists things on giant Post-It. Jurors are paying close attention. You went to the scene? Did interviews? Got photos? Got clothing, shotgun shells, ballistics work, blood work, videos, under your leadership? As lead detective?

Multi.jpg

Sheffield: Social media? Lowrey: Don't remember any social media. JS: Anything lead you to believe Travis or Greg heard Roddie Bryan? Any communication between them?

Sheffield: You talked about fibers above a dent; you have zero evidence to know when that dent got on Roddie Bryan's truck? Lowrey: He told me it wasn't there before this.

Sheffield: Did you ever work to determine if that smudged fingerprint was a right thumbprint of #AhmaudArbery? Lowrey: Yes. So you considered it? Yes. Someone suggested that.

State re-direct: Whose report was that he just used to refresh your memory? Lowrey names the investigator. Did you help author it? So were those your findings at all? No, ma'am. They were his.

Kellie Parr takes the stand at the #AhmaudArbery shooting case. She grew up at 232 Satilla Drive.

Parr.jpg

Talking to her dad on the phone the day of #AhmaudArbery's shooting, "He was telling me what he was seeing out the window and said, Oh my God! There's a hole in the window! I'll call you back." State shows photos of the bullet holes in window and wall.

State: When you and your son are there, are you ever in this front room? Yes, we sometimes go in front room to sing and play guitar. Ever see a young man at that construction site nearby? Yes, maybe Dec. or Jan. I believe it was a Sunday, still light out

Parr says he was standing in the door frame--no door there--we just looked at each other as I drove by. She says he was a tall Black man, in basketball shorts and sneakers. She recalls him being very tall b/c of how his head was in relation to the frame

Parr2.jpg

She offers to tell the State her inner dialogue: "I thought, what is he doing in there? Then, Well Kellie, don't be racist. He's probably working on the house. But he's not wearing a tool belt. But he didn't hide or anything. He just looked at me."

Travis McMichael atty Bob Rubin asks Parr about her seeing the young man: daylight, a Sunday, then checking herself--didn't want to be stereotyping. Did she talk to her parents? "I don't think so. I just drove away thinking, 'No big deal.'"

Bob Rubin: Did you reach out to police after the shooting to tell them you saw a guy you thought might be #AhmaudArbery in that house? Parr: I didn't, they called after dad told them

State calls Cara Richardson next in the #AhmaudArbery shooting case. She's director of the Glynn/Brunswick 911 Center.

Cara.jpg

Greg McMichael's 2/23 911 call plays. We hear, Hello?! I'm out here at Satilla Shores. There's a Black male running down the street!" Dispatcher asks where. GM: "I don't know...Stop [right that](?) Dammit! Stop! Travis!" 911: Sir, where are you at? Hello?

Greg.jpg

link: https://twitter.com/MissVWaters

after this was the tweet on Ahmaud's mother that was already posted.

Attachments

• Judge.jpg
    Judge.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 10
Thursday, November 11th:
*Trial continues (Day 5) (@ 9am ET) - GA – Ahmaud Marquez Arbery (25) (Feb. 23, 2020, shot while jogging in Satilla Shores neighborhood, Brunswick) - *Gregory Johns McMichael (64/now 65) arrested (5/7/20) & charged (5/8/20) with felony murder & aggravated assault. Indicted (6/24/20), charged & arraigned (7/17/20) with 1 count of malice murder, 4 counts of felony murder, 2 counts of aggravated assault, 1 count of false imprisonment & 1 count of criminal attempt to commit a felony. Plead not guilty. Held without bond. Bond denied (11/13/20).
*Travis James McMichael (34/now 35) arrested (5/7/20) & charged (5/8/20) with felony murder & aggravated assault. Indicted (6/24/20), charged & arraigned (7/17/20) with 1 count of malice murder, 4 counts of felony murder, 2 counts of aggravated assault, 1 count of false imprisonment & 1 count of criminal attempt to commit a felony. Plead not guilty. Held without bond. Bond denied (11/13/20).
*William “Roddie” Roderick Bryan, Jr. (50/now 51) arrested & charged (5/21/20) with felony murder & criminal attempt to commit false imprisonment. Indicted (6/24/20), charged & arraigned (7/17/20) with 1 count of malice murder, 4 counts of felony murder, 2 counts of aggravated assault, 1 count of false imprisonment & 1 count of criminal attempt to commit a felony. Plead not guilty. Held without bond.
Trial began on 10/18/21 with jury selection & ended on 11/3/21. Trial began on 11/5/21. Jurors: 5 men & 11 women with 4 alternates. 15 white/1 black jurors. 11/4/21: Juror #579 was excused, sick. Alternates now 3.
Court info from 5/8/20 thru 10/17/21 & Jury selection (Day 1-12) 10/18/21-11/3/21 & Trial (Day 1-3) 11/5/21 to 11/9/21 reference post #86 here:
GA - Ahmaud Arbery, 25, jogger, fatally shot by former LEO and son, Brunswick, Feb 2020 *Arrests* #4

11/10/21 Wednesday, Trial Day 4: Judge Timothy Walmsley has said the prosecution did NOT open the door & thus character evidence of Arbery will not come in. Judge Walmsley tells the jurors normally court would be closed on Veterans Day, but the plan is to work tomorrow as usual--and to send him a note if that's a problem for any of them.
State witnesses: Glynn County Police Detective Roderick Nohilly. He interviewed Greg McMichael. He knew Greg McMichael from the time McMichael was an investigator in the D.A.'s office.
for more info see posts #130 & 134 here:
Matt Albenze, Neighbor who called 911. 911 call was played for jurors.
For more info see post #135 here:
Stephan Lowery, was a criminal investigator with Glenn County PD, now a contractor. Interviewed Bryan. Interview was recorded & transcript read in court.
for more info on Lowery see post #128, 136 & 139 here:
and post #142, 145 & 148 & 168 here:
Kellie Parr. Talked with her Dad on phone when bullet went thru his window.
for more info see post #168 here:
Cara Richardson, director of Glynn/Brunswick 911 center. Played Greg McMichael's 911 call.
for more info see post #168 here:
Trial continues on 11/11/21.

*Federal charges: *Travis James McMichael (34/now 35) & *Gregory Johns McMichael & *William “Roddie” Roderick Bryan, Jr. Next motions hearing on 11/19/21. Trial set to begin on 2/7/22.

@MissVWaters

Outside the Glynn Co courthouse, emotions run high for #AhmaudArbery's mom, Wanda Cooper-Jones. "I finally put a face to the name of Investigator Lowrey, who called me that afternoon & told me that Ahmaud committed a burglary, was confronted by homeowner, & was killed."
I listened to him today for three hours. He said nothing about Ahmaud committing a burglary, but that's what he called me to tell me. That was disturbing and very not acceptable," says Wanda Cooper-Jones.
Snipped by me, bold by me

That is so, so cruel and careless . You have to wonder if, had he been a white guy, he would’ve been given the benefit of the doubt before his mum got a PHONE CALL to unceremoniously tell her that her child has been shot while committing a crime. They just assumed he did commit a crime because those men said so, and told her as much. “We are investigating the circumstances” would’ve been the bare minimum. They just didn’t care about traumatising her even more than what is necessary.

I wonder if subconsciously they assumed that because he’s black and accused of a crime, the supposed crime was not out of the ordinary and it wouldn’t come as that much of a shock to his family. Obviously this is pure speculation and I’m not trying to imply that it was intentional, but this is how unconscious bias can play out. The tricky thing about unconscious bias is precisely that, it’s unconscious. Still, they could’ve checked themselves and ask themselves if this was appropriate.

My opinion only!

Totally disagree.We have seen video of many white people go on the property but none of them were chased down and shot.I have zero doubt these 3 men would never have chased a white man down.

Perhaps I missed some of the video. My apologies if I did, but were any of the people seen in the security footage there multiple times? We know AA was, but what about the others?

I've been wondering that as well. Maybe he thought he would be shot by a homeowner if he went on their property. Maybe he thought he could get even more cornered. JMO.

Detective Rodhall, was clearly not impressed, with this obnoxious twit, of a defense lawyer. I’m very impressed by the women, presenting the State’s case. LD, in particular, knows the law thoroughly.

I think your observation mirrors the actual circumstances of the case exactly. The special prosecutor from Atlanta is part of the legal establishment's "All Star" team.

Meanwhile, none of the defendants can afford "All Star" defense attorneys and no such attorney agreed to take the case pro bono as a marketing strategy (some A team defense attorneys will represent infamous clients free as a form of advertising).

What's most damning of his testimony, imo, is that he was clearly trying to say that English *had* spoken to at least someone or a few in SS about the theft from his boat, but he'd pointed suspicion at his own contractors, not intruders.

The core elements of E's theft claim seem very strange- He leaves 6K worth of fishing tackle unsecured in a modest home under construction, the gear is stolen and he makes no insurance claim.

I suspect that even prior to the incident, "E" gave different people different spins regarding how much of fishing gear was purportedly stolen- and whom he suspected of stealing it.

In the wake of the enormity of the defendants actions, "E" has since further spun his even indirect involvement down to that of "shocked, horrified- and in no way involved."

This has included going philosophical regarding what it means to truly converse with somebody and what it means to truly discuss a particular subject. ( whether he had any conversations with McMichael senior and what was discussed).

In the end, what E said and to whom he said it seems pretty murky and spun several times.

The core elements of E's theft claim seem very strange- He leaves 6K worth of fishing tackle unsecured in a modest home under construction, the gear is stolen and he makes no insurance claim.

I suspect that even prior to the incident, "E" gave different people different spins regarding how much of fishing gear was purportedly stolen- and whom he suspected of stealing it.

In the wake of the enormity of the defendants actions, "E" has since further spun his even indirect involvement down to that of "shocked, horrified- and in no way involved."

This has included going philosophical regarding what it means to truly converse with somebody and what it means to truly discuss a particular subject. ( whether he had any conversations with McMichael senior and what was discussed).

In the end, what E said and to whom he said it seems pretty murky and spun several times.

True enough. What's also true, and hopefully obvious to the jury, is that though English took the time & effort to directly tell at least several peeps in SS about the theft of boat stuff, whatever it was he said, he did NOT speak to either Greg or Travis,even after Rash passed along Greg's explicit offer to "help" English. Heck, according to Greg himself, he didn't even know E's name. And yet, there he is, hauling *advertiser censored* after AA.....

As a black man, he could have been scared to go on an occupied property where someone could shoot him. Obviously, this is speculation and moo. We'll never truly know.

@HayleyMasonTV
Defense attorney Kevin Gough has raised several motions including one objecting to having court on Veteran's Day calling it illegal and unconstitutional to compel jurors to court on a federal holiday despite their being willing to serve today. The judge responded, "we are here."

Good grief, more evidence of the defense fielding a legal "B team"-if that. There is obviously no Constitutional right to not work on behalf of the government on a federal holiday.

That aside, I am thinking that it might be advantageous from the defense point of view to have Roddie testify.

Roddie is being charged under the "party to" provisions of Georgia law. I think the defense could make an effort to show that Roddie was "party to" an unlawful arrest attempt- but not a murder.

The fact that Roddie is not sophisticated may even work in his favor as jurors may see either themselves in a spun account of Roddie, or see a relative. Likewise, as Roddies testimony would be a matter of spin and not disputing core facts, there is no need to worry about him crumbling under cross examination.

So, maybe Roddie takes the stand and presents the following spin: Ladies and gentlemen of the jury....

- I am a well meaning good ol' boy who got sucked in by McMichael senior. I joined the chase impulsively after being directly asked to do so by a retired LEO. I was never part of a pre formed vigilante effort.

- Heck, I did not know that I was participating in a citizens' arrest. I honestly thought M senior had arrest authority as a police told people to contract McMichael senior about any thefts.

- Though I did try to detain the victim- I was unarmed and immediately backed off when I saw McMichael senior brandishing a pistol. Things just did not look right. I knew I made the right decision after I saw McMichael junior get out of the truck with a shotgun.

- I, with the best of intentions, immediately shared video evidence with police arriving police officers. I never denied my part in assisting McMichael senior in making an arrest- but I did not participate in a murder.....

I would like to think that I would do the same.

Then again, under pressure and also having never been chased and not given to having preplanned evasion techniques in mind, I might make an instinctual effort to flee the same way I came entered.

In this case, that would involve using a road in an attempt to escape from the pursuers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88