Still Missing HI - Ariel Sellers AKA 'Isabella Kalua', 6, last seen asleep in bdrm, Waimanalo, 12 Sep 2021*Arrests

I’ve cried so much over this sweet baby today. I always want to think the best of people…a part of me forgets not every parent feels the gratitude I feel to have been able to adopt…I don’t understand killing anyone but I really don’t understand going through the headache of fostering and adopting and then killing them. Why if you didn’t want them?!? I’m devastated, Ariel was failed by virtually every adult esp those entrusted with protecting her. I always look for anything outside of parents being involved and I’m almost always disappointed. For some reason I never want to believe a parent can do this. Makes me hurt and so sorry I tried to give them the benefit of doubt. I know they didn’t just arrest them on a hunch so I hope this might mean they have a good idea of where she is. I hope her recovery imminent and her murderers justice severe. No mercy from me. JMO.

Apparently I missed it but why are they asking for information of contact between people and Ariel all that way back to 2019?
2019 was when Ariel began suffering "injuries" ...

In the first incident, in October 2019, she had a broken finger.

There was a delay in the reporting of the injury and a delay in getting her treatment, sources said. Her family said her hand was slammed in a door.

Just four months later, in January 2020, Kalua suffered a broken leg and was taken to the ER. The family said she was injured on a trampoline.

In both cases, a panel of experts determined there was no maltreatment.

But Stephen Lane, a longtime foster parent and child advocate, said the incidents draw suspicion.

“There’s no reasonable explanation why a parent, foster adoptive or natural would delay the treatment or reporting of this kind of an injury,” Lane said.
Missing girl had serious injuries investigated by state in past 2 years

Party Name Case Case Type Filing Date Next Event Party Type Party
arrow-ff.gif

13 case(s) found, displaying 13 case(s), from 1 to 13. Page 1 / 1
KALUA , LEHUA R 1DRC-21-0007284 - BANK OF AMERICA, N.A. vs. LEHUA R KALUA Regular Claim 11-AUG-2021 Defendant @4837353
Kalua , Lehua 1DRC-21-0003151 - Midland Credit Management, Inc vs Lehua Kalua Regular Claim 05-APR-2021 Defendant @4774044
KALUA , LEHUA 1DRC-21-0001424 - DISCOVER BANK VS LEHUA KALUA Regular Claim 10-FEB-2021 07-JAN-2022 Defendant @4749319
https://www.courts.state.hi.us/legal_references/records/jims_system_availability

Beginning in February this year, Lehua was served three notices of default from various banks and a agency that buys bad debt. She stated in a May hearing she was working with a bankruptcy attorney. In a September 10th hearing she said she was still working on filing for bankruptcy.

My point - how is a person who is filing for bankruptcy allowed to adopt children? Is there no financial due diligence performed to ensure the children can be adequately supported in the home? Mind you the Lehua's were in the process of completing the adoption of Ariel's youngest sibling this month. How does this happen?

Party Name Case Case Type Filing Date Next Event Party Type Party
arrow-ff.gif

13 case(s) found, displaying 13 case(s), from 1 to 13. Page 1 / 1
KALUA , LEHUA R 1DRC-21-0007284 - BANK OF AMERICA, N.A. vs. LEHUA R KALUA Regular Claim 11-AUG-2021 Defendant @4837353
Kalua , Lehua 1DRC-21-0003151 - Midland Credit Management, Inc vs Lehua Kalua Regular Claim 05-APR-2021 Defendant @4774044
KALUA , LEHUA 1DRC-21-0001424 - DISCOVER BANK VS LEHUA KALUA Regular Claim 10-FEB-2021 07-JAN-2022 Defendant @4749319
eCourt* Kokua

Beginning in February this year, Lehua was served three notices of default from various banks and a agency that buys bad debt. She stated in a May hearing she was working with a bankruptcy attorney. In a September 10th hearing she said she was still working on filing for bankruptcy.

My point - how is a person who is filing for bankruptcy allowed to adopt children? Is there no financial due diligence performed to ensure the children can be adequately supported in the home? Mind you the Lehua's were in the process of completing the adoption of Ariel's youngest sibling this month. How does this happen?
I really don't understand that. Are all states different?

Here in California , my husband and I went through rigorous scrutiny, financial, psychological and emotional, by the State Social Workers.

They looked at our financial records. We had to show proof that we could afford to care for each child, by reporting income and debt ratio, savings, etc...And they did a background check, which included questions about any past bankruptcies or lawsuits, etc.

I am certain they would not have allowed us to adopt if we were facing bankruptcy.

I'm sorry, but how is this possible? How is a couple getting ready to file for bankruptcy allowed to foster, let alone adopt children? How were they able to provide for their basic needs? Food? Clothes? School supplies? Medical care? I'm sorry but "love" is NOT enough. And the sad part is, there was no love there either.

Why are kids getting moved from one bad situation to another? We have seen many cases of children being removed from a bad situation with their biological families and put in a even worse situation with foster and adoptive parents. And I know there are many amazing foster and adoptive parents but this needs to end. Kids keep getting murdered by people that should love and protect them.

MOO: One of the suspects had a job, plus they must have been receiving a lot of financial benefits for the kids. Why do they have debt enough to be filing for bankrupcy?
Were they taking Ariel to any therapies she needed (I assume some of their benefits was supposed to go toward that and that she would have needed some.)

Extremely suspicious case ALL around, especially, as you say @Lusitana
Why are kids getting moved from one bad situation to another? We have seen many cases of children being removed from a bad situation with their biological families and put in a even worse situation with foster and adoptive parents.

CPS dropped the ball on this one. The doctors who tended to Ariel dropped the ball. Shouldn’t they have to report all injuries to an adopted child? At least have someone check in. Pull the kid aside and talk to her? This shouldn’t have happened. So many things have gone wrong here.

Can I ask what the fostering and adopting situation is in relation to finances in different countries?

For example in Wales, and likely across the UK, for fostering you are paid as if it is your job, and the rate of pay depends on the level of need of the child. Pay is around £400 per week per child. This amount will be considerably higher if you foster a child with significant behavioral or health needs. Tax-free income, and any benefits you might be entitled to are not affected by this income. In addition to this the child will get direct money for clothing and holidays as occasional lump sum payments.

Adopting comes with no payment, it is as if you gave birth to the child in every way. So you would be able to claim benefits for the child if you are eligible.

Can I ask what the fostering and adopting situation is in relation to finances in different countries?

For example in Wales, and likely across the UK, for fostering you are paid as if it is your job, and the rate of pay depends on the level of need of the child. Pay is around £400 per week per child. This amount will be considerably higher if you foster a child with significant behavioral or health needs. Tax-free income, and any benefits you might be entitled to are not affected by this income. In addition to this the child will get direct money for clothing and holidays as occasional lump sum payments.

Adopting comes with no payment, it is as if you gave birth to the child in every way. So you would be able to claim benefits for the child if you are eligible.
Foster care payment can vary from state to state in the U.S. In Illinois, where I live (Chicago) licensed foster parents receive a monthly board payment ranging from $418 to $511 per child, (the rate in 2017, likely up a little now) depending upon the child's age, to cover board, allowance and clothing expenses. That would NOT be comparable to any full-time job and the money is intended to cover expenses for the child. Specialized foster parents (such as experience with special needs children) can receive additional payment. The foster parents can both hold a job outside of the home. Adoptive parents, receive no financial support once the child is adopted.

I was adopted out of foster care, my parents were both Law Enforcement Officers. Mom quit her job as a Deputy Sheriff to be a stay-at-home Mom and they adopted two of us. I could not have had better parents - there are still many wonderful people in the system wanting to adopt which makes this situation that much more tragic.

"The FBI remains steadfast in our effort to work with law enforcement agencies across this area to make sure justice is done," Steve Merrill, FBI special agent in charge of Honolulu’s Field Office, said.

The interim chief acknowledged that "because certain details cannot be shared as freely as we would like, and because of the need for secrecy, it could very well look like Ariel may have been forgotten or that not enough resources were being devoted into what happened to this poor little girl."

"I’m here to tell you today that nothing could be further from the truth," he asserted. "In order to be effective in preventing and solving crime, police departments have to have the trust of the community it serves. It’s also no secret that the news media and certainly some groups have been very forthcoming with criticism about or efforts of lack of efforts… I understand the frustration."

"Even after the initial search of the area was complete, for the last 58 days since this was reported, dedicated community members have continued the search for Ariel," Moszkowicz said. Stressing how the investigation remains "extremely active and is far from over," he noted, "especially after remaining quiet over what we have learned," it was important to share some information at this time.

Investigators are asking witnesses who may have interacted with Ariel and her sisters between 2019 and August of 2021 to come forward. Anyone who may have seen Isaac or Lehua in August or September is encouraged to contact CrimeStoppers at 808-955-8300 or dial *CRIME or send anonymous web tips to www.honolulucrimestoppers.org or via the P3 Tips app.

"No detail is too small," Moszkowicz said.
Hawaii adoptive parents who reported daughter, 6, missing now charged with murder

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truecrime-hazeleyes
Back