GA - Ahmaud Arbery, 25, jogger, fatally shot by former LEO and son, Brunswick, Feb 2020 *Arrests* #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Phil_Lewis_
The defense attorney in the trial in the killing of Ahmaud Arbery is objecting to Al Sharpton’s presence in the courtroom, claiming it is intimidating the jury: “We don’t want any more Black pastors in here”

https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1458872267371393027?s=20

Veronica Waters

@MissVWaters

Gough: If a bunch of people came in here dressed like Col. Sanders wearing white masks--. Judge cuts KG off, says he was asked if it was OK for Rev Sharpton to come in instead of someone from family. Judge said as long as it's not disruptive--and it wasn't

He was comfortable enough to say that OUT LOUD, this is outrageous. What on earth is he trying to achieve. Influencing the jury is a flimsy way of justifying him saying that black reverends are intimidating, and he said it with his chest.

I honestly don’t understand what his strategy is, he just seems to love wasting everyone’s time. He’s just insufferable

@Phil_Lewis_
The defense attorney in the trial in the killing of Ahmaud Arbery is objecting to Al Sharpton’s presence in the courtroom, claiming it is intimidating the jury: “We don’t want any more Black pastors in here”

Veronica Waters

@MissVWaters

Gough: If a bunch of people came in here dressed like Col. Sanders wearing white masks--. Judge cuts KG off, says he was asked if it was OK for Rev Sharpton to come in instead of someone from family. Judge said as long as it's not disruptive--and it wasn't

He was comfortable enough to say that OUT LOUD, this is outrageous. What on earth is he trying to achieve. Influencing the jury is a flimsy way of justifying him saying that black reverends are intimidating, and he said it with his chest.

I honestly don’t understand what his strategy is, he just seems to love wasting everyone’s time. He’s just insufferable

@Phil_Lewis_

Veronica Waters

@MissVWaters

This is absolutely disgusting, and outrageous, I’ve never seen anything like this, KG, is clearly wearing racism, on his sleeve. I’m also appalled by the way, KG, is treating L English. I feel he is badgering him, LE, is very ill with memory problems, and is being treated with total disrespect. My heart goes out to him. IMO

This is absolutely disgusting, and outrageous, I’ve never seen anything like this, KG, is clearly wearing racism, on his sleeve. I’m also appalled by the way, KG, is treating L English. I feel he is badgering him, LE, is very ill with memory problems, and is being treated with total disrespect. My heart goes out to him. IMO

HLN must be very behind. I haven't seen Gough examine English yet.

IMO the statement made by KG was very disrespectful and racist.

Okay - found another person tweeting

Veronica Waters
@MissVWaters
·
3h
Judge Timothy Walmsley tells the jurors normally court would be closed on Veterans Day, but the plan is to work tomorrow as usual--and to send him a note if that's a problem for any of them.

Glynn County Police detective, Sgt. Roderick Nohilly, takes the stand. He's a 16-year veteran of the force. He will discuss an interview with #AhmaudArbery shooting case defendant Greg McMichael, whom he knew as an investigator in the DA's office, since at least 2005.

View attachment 321300

Nohilly asked the homeowner's name; Greg McMichael didn't know. Nohilly: Did this guy break into a house today? GM: That's just it, I don't know. I told her out there, u might want to knock on doors b/c this guy had just done something he was fleeing from #AhmaudArbery

Nohilly asked G McMichael to speculate on what was in the mind of #AhmaudArbery. GM: He was trapped like a rat. I think he was wanting to flee and realized he was not going to get away. RN: But he could've run around your son, right? GM: Sure.

Greg McMichael to Nohilly: He was much faster than Travis would ever be. We had chased him around the neighborhood a bit and he wasn't winded at all. This guy was in good shape. #AhmaudArbery @wsbradio
GM's atty Frank Hogue starts cross-exam.

Frank Hogue wants to flesh out context of Greg McMichael's comment that he "had no idea who this guy was." GM couldn't tell you #AhmaudArbery's name, right? Nohilly: Correct.

Hogue reads from transcript: Greg McMichael said "When he came past my house he met the description of the guy Travis saw go into that empty house. To a tee. Plus met the description of video I'd seen of guy in there.

GM also repeated the words that 'This guy wasn't out for no Sunday jog.' Hogue: You understand Greg McMichael was explaining why he suspected #AhmaudArbery? Nohilly: Yes.

Greg McMichael said, There was no hesitation on his part when he came to Travis. I think his intention was to grab that gun and shoot Travis. If he'd have gotten it and there was any separation between Travis and him I was going to cap his *advertiser censored*.

Hogue: You understand the context he's conveying--he thought he was about to witness his son's death at the hands of #AhmaudArbery... A series of State objections as FH restarts: Objection, testifying; speculation; characterization. Judge sustains: The statement speaks for itself

Hogue asks Nohilly if he's heard of "auditory exclusion," a phenomenon where...State objects--counsel is testifying. Hogue: Maybe he knows it by some other name. You can describe what you saw but not what you heard.

Hogue: You ask Greg McMichael if he #AhmaudArbery was hit all three times--shots from Travis's shotgun. GM: There was only two shots. Nohilly: There were three shots. On video, sounds like 3. GM: There were 3? I don't think so but it was a furball, it was a hairball.

Hogue: When you arrest people, u give verbal commands like Stop, raise your hands? Nohilly: Yes. H: if people won't comply you'll draw your weapon, won't you? RN: Only in certain circumstances. FH: Like when they won't listen to verbal commands, not stopping? RN: No

Nohilly: No, I don't just pull my gun. Hogue: You take other steps? ...& if you think the person is going to attack you or flee you will use your weapon? Nohilly: Not always, no. Hogue: If they're attacking you? RN: Depends on how. Depends on circumstance .

Hogue: If someone seems to be trying to take your gun from you, putting his hands on it you might use your gun? Nohilly: At that point it might meet the threshold, yes.

Travis McMichael atty Jason Sheffield starts cross-exam of Nohilly: his investigation; interviewing Travis. State objects; they take out jury. Dunikoski: We told defense we weren't putting in Travis's stmnt; now it looks like we're hiding it from jury.

There's a bunch of argument about Sheffield wanting to put in that Travis McMichael was cooperating, speaking quickly, upset. Judge notes that opens the door to asking WHEN in said interview TM was like that--what was he saying at the time, etc.

Jury's back. Sheffield continues: You've investigated burglary, and understand it doesn't just happen at night. Nohilly: Correct. JS: Usually on Sunday? RN: That's what I said. State redirect--what did Greg McMichael say then? RN: He said, People are home on Sundays.

We're in a recess, FYI

link: https://twitter.com/MissVWaters

more to come...

The jurors sure are getting their exercise.

Veronica Waters
@MissVWaters
·
2h
#AhmaudArbery shooting case: Matthew Albenze, who's lived in Satilla Shores a little over 30 years. He's a neighbor of Greg McMichael; they haven't socialized at each other's homes. Same with Travis. Friendly conversation in driveways about trucks boats, fishing.

View attachment 321301

He didn't know #AhmaudArbery, and hadn't ever seen him before 2.23.2020. The home under construction is at end of his block. This is a shot sort of from his driveway looking at Larry English's property--the pen is pointing at it.

View attachment 321302

That day, he was splitting wood when he looked up and saw #AhmaudArbery standing at that house. No bag or backpack. "Just standing there looking around." He recalled English's video of someone who looked like that on his dock. Albenze grabbed his phone and his gun.

Albenze saw someone moving around in the English house, so he called the main -7800 number to police. Why didn't he dial 911?, State asks. "I didn't see an emergency," he says. #AhmaudArbery @wsbradio
They are playing the call for jurors.

Albenze stood behind an oak; he couldn't see what #AhmaudArbery was doing in there. Doesn't know why Arbery ran out. He walked back to his house then. He made some "There he goes" motion but wasn't trying to communicate w/anyone in particular, he says .

Albenze says at no time did he contact Greg or Travis McMichael or communicate with them in any way. "After a few minutes, I heard gunshots--3." Got my bicycle, road around the corner. "I saw a police car...saw Mr. #AhmaudArbery lying on the street...saw Greg and Travis there".

"It was a shocking scene, you know," Albenze says. Later that day, Glynn Co. police came to see him. He doesn't remember much about that. He'd had several cocktails by that time.

Travis McMichael atty Bob Rubin begins cross-exam. Albenze says yes, he'd rather be somewhere else. Rubin asks, This has been difficult for you? Caused you problems b/c you called police? Concerns at work/about neighborhood, personal attacks/phone calls?

Rubin: That's put you in a difficult spot? Albenze: Not really difficult, but a spot I'm not used to.

Rubin: Even though this property was open and unsecured, Larry English wasn't inviting people over, was he? Did he say this male was authorized to be on the dock? Not that Albenze knows, no.

Rubin: On your call, you tell police this man has been to the house multiple times? Albenze: That may have been heat of the moment; someone who looks like him is what I meant to say. Rubin: He looked like guy in videos? Albenze: Yes.

Rubin: You told police, He's been caught on camera a bunch before at night. It's kind of an ongoing thing out here? Albenze: It had been. Can't say it's that guy; someone who fits that description.

Albenze says he can't speak to Larry English's state of mind over someone not being caught. "Nobody's happy when somebody snoops around their stuff." Rubin: Right.

Albenze says he was aware of property crimes in Satilla Shores in 2019-20. Rubin: Did you tell GBI you're aware of the guy back at the house & everyone's aware? A: "Neighbors talk...were probably aware there were break-ins" Don't know if they knew of English's house .

Albenze knew some things had been stolen from English's boat: electronics and Yeti cooler. Were you at that house the night police were there on Feb 11? "I went down to see what was going on." See Travis? I think he was there. Greg? Don't remember.

When you first saw #AhmaudArbery, he wasn't tying a shoe, catching his breath. "Just standing around," Albenze replies. You didn't know if he was armed. You grabbed your phone and your 9mm, for your protection. You didn't know what was going on. A: Nope

Rubin: You call police; suspected he saw you & that's why he took off running? Albenze: IDK. R: That's what you told Diego Perez. A: OK. You told the GBI that & you felt some guilt over that? A: I did. I felt like if he hadn't seen me maybe he wouldn't have run away

Rubin: You felt like you put into motion these events that turned tragic and it still weighs heavy on your heart? Albenze: Yes.

Albenze said he doesn't recall if he saw #AhmaudArbery duck down in the house. Roddie Bryan's lawyer Jessica Burton gets up for cross. Says, you might know my co-counsel Mr. Gough. Albenze says he's helped clean trees from yard after hurricane once.

Albenze says he hadn't spoken with/seen Roddie Bryan for several years before 2/23 incident. State re-direct: You were aware English suspected contractors of theft? A: He thought it was a possibility. Neighbors also talked about suspecting homeless guy was behind thefts? IDK

I think I'll stick with this tweeter - seems to have more info than others.

I remember watching that security video over and over again the day AA was murdered. Maybe Albenze isn't lying but I believe he is editing his role in the circumstances surrounding AA's death. MOO

I've been watching this and the main question I have, and one that can't be answered, is why didn't Ahmaud run between the houses? Why did he stay on the road? If I <modsnip> took off running, and a truck came up behind me and started following me, I run into an area where the truck couldn't go - between houses and yards.

Probably because during the several minutes he was chased by two different vehicles he may have thought any and all those homes had the same type of characters in them, that were willing to kill him for going on their property. And Georgia's Castle Doctrine.

Probably because during the several minutes he was chased by two different vehicles he may have thought any and all those homes had the same type of characters in them, that were willing to kill him for going on their property. And Georgia's Castle Doctrine.
If that neighborhood is so full of the "same type of characters", I'd wonder why AA entered the neighborhood at all. That makes even less sense to me.

Al Sharpton being there is nothing short of racism. He is announcing by his presence that he determined this crime was committed based on racism. Clowns leading the circus. This is a court of law and should be regarded as such.

I remember watching that security video over and over again the day AA was murdered. Maybe Albenze isn't lying but I believe he is editing his role in the circumstances surrounding AA's death. MOO

No. I think he caused AA to run. That’s ok. The others over reacted and the tragic result happened

Continued for Thursday, 11/11/21:

Veronica Waters
@MissVWaters
·
12h
Back from lunch, Kevin Gough says that during his Wednesday cross-exam of fmr. GCPD Inv. Lowrey, "The Right Rev. Al Sharpton managed to find his way into the back of the courtroom. I'm guessing he was there at the invitation of the victim's family."

Court.jpg

Gough says he has nothing against Mr. Sharpton, but he's concerned that a precedent of high-profile African Americans sitting w/the family in jury's presence is "intimidating, & could be--consciously or unconsciously--an attempt to pressure or influence the jury."

Gough.jpg

Gough: Sharpton doesn't have a church in GlynnCo: "There's only so many pastors they can have. If it's Al Sharpton now fine but that's it. "We don't want any more Black pastors coming in here--Jesse Jackson here earlier--sitting w/victim's family to influence jury"

Bob Rubin chimes in and says it's a reminder of Court's previous instructions to keep outside influences outside the courtroom. ADA Dunikoski says it's a public courthouse, State had nothing to do with Rev Sharpton visiting with the victim's family

Judge: "I noticed him once, that was it. That nobody noticed means everybody complied w/ruling on sitting & listening. I'm not going to blanketly exclude public...& I haven't heard from anyone of any distraction--what I heard is no one was even aware he was here"

Judge.jpg

Gough: It's not important if lawyers noticed, it's important that jurors--who've expressed concern about anonymity-- can eyeball people they recognize from TV. It's an issue. I don't have a motion right now. Judge: No motion before Court, OK. Let's continue

Court 2.jpg

Larry English deposition continues with questioning by Travis McMichael attorney Bob Rubin.

Rubin.jpg

wonder why this tweeter doesn't post anything that goes to the end of day for the trial hearing....

Friday, Nov. 12th:
*Trial continues (Day 6) (@ 9am ET) - GA – Ahmaud Marquez Arbery (25) (Feb. 23, 2020, shot while jogging in Satilla Shores neighborhood, Brunswick) - *Gregory Johns McMichael (64/now 65) arrested (5/7/20) & charged (5/8/20) with felony murder & aggravated assault. Indicted (6/24/20), charged & arraigned (7/17/20) with 1 count of malice murder, 4 counts of felony murder, 2 counts of aggravated assault, 1 count of false imprisonment & 1 count of criminal attempt to commit a felony. Plead not guilty. Held without bond. Bond denied (11/13/20).
*Travis James McMichael (34/now 35) arrested (5/7/20) & charged (5/8/20) with felony murder & aggravated assault. Indicted (6/24/20), charged & arraigned (7/17/20) with 1 count of malice murder, 4 counts of felony murder, 2 counts of aggravated assault, 1 count of false imprisonment & 1 count of criminal attempt to commit a felony. Plead not guilty. Held without bond. Bond denied (11/13/20).
*William “Roddie” Roderick Bryan, Jr. (50/now 51) arrested & charged (5/21/20) with felony murder & criminal attempt to commit false imprisonment. Indicted (6/24/20), charged & arraigned (7/17/20) with 1 count of malice murder, 4 counts of felony murder, 2 counts of aggravated assault, 1 count of false imprisonment & 1 count of criminal attempt to commit a felony. Plead not guilty. Held without bond.
Trial began on 10/18/21 with jury selection & ended on 11/3/21. Trial began on 11/5/21. Jurors: 5 men & 11 women with 4 alternates. 15 white/1 black jurors. 11/4/21: Juror #579 was excused, sick. Alternates now 3.
Court info from 5/8/20 thru 10/17/21 & Jury selection (Day 1-12) 10/18/21-11/3/21 & Trial (Day 1-4) 11/5/21 to 11/10/21 reference post #168 here:
GA - Ahmaud Arbery, 25, jogger, fatally shot by former LEO and son, Brunswick, Feb 2020 *Arrests* #4

11/11/21 Thursday, Trial Day 5: Defense attorney Kevin Gough has raised several motions including one objecting to having court on Veteran's Day calling it illegal & unconstitutional to compel jurors to court on a federal holiday despite their being willing to serve today. The judge responded, "We are here."
State witnesses: Larry English via a 4-hour deposition on 9/24/21.
for more info see posts #187, 193, 194 & 198 here:
and post #221 here:
Trial continues on 11/12/21.

*Federal charges: *Travis James McMichael (34/now 35) & *Gregory Johns McMichael & *William “Roddie” Roderick Bryan, Jr. Next motions hearing on 11/19/21. Trial set to begin on 2/7/22.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam