Found Deceased AL - Garrett Walker, 20, left bar, University of Alabama student, Tuscaloosa, 6 Nov 2021

We need to instil the rules with our kids that you don’t just need a sober designated driver, you need a sober walk home buddy too. I can’t believe how often this happens, it’s so sad. Moo

The thing that gets me about these drowning deaths is that almost all of them that happened recently involved a young guy going to a bar with friends but was the only one who got kicked out. None of the friends that went to the bar with them went outside to see how they were doing.

If they were that intoxicated wouldn't you think at least one friend would go and check on their buddy? Here's this individual, highly intoxicated left to their own devices who may not have a clue which direction to go in and boom, they end up in the water.

It's almost like a script that keeps getting played out. So unnecessary and needlessly tragic.

I'm just thinking about myself when I went to bars. A few of us girls would go out and have a good time but none of us at any time would have left a really drunk girl to her own devices; the risks were too great. Is that what it really boils down to? Girls are so aware of the dangers that intoxication can lead to but men are less aware? Not about being accosted or assaulted but just not seeing themselves as vulnerable?

I posted this yesterday afternoon, but it was removed bcz it was attached to another quoted message which was not allowed.

My DH noticed the TPD spokesman, in alerting the media yesterday, said they recovered the “victim.” (Tuscaloosa police positively identify remains of missing UA student Garrett Walker)
This struck us as odd unless he meant accidental drowning victim. Most of the time when mentioning a recovery, it has been stated as a “body.” There are a few anomalies leading up to/surrounding GW’s death:
1. If you look at where his body was recovered (Riverwalk area), it is not on the way back to his home. His residence is SE whereas the Black Warrior River is N?
2. How did he get to the bar? Uber/Lyft? A fraternity brother? Why wouldn’t a similar mode of transportation be taken after he left the bar?
3. Why would he walk home at that time of the morning? His residence isn’t considered “walking distance” from the Grey Lady?

I posted this yesterday afternoon, but it was removed bcz it was attached to another quoted message which was not allowed.

My DH noticed the TPD spokesman, in alerting the media yesterday, said they recovered the “victim.” (Tuscaloosa police positively identify remains of missing UA student Garrett Walker)
This struck us as odd unless he meant accidental drowning victim. Most of the time when mentioning a recovery, it has been stated as a “body.” There are a few anomalies leading up to/surrounding GW’s death:
1. If you look at where his body was recovered (Riverwalk area), it is not on the way back to his home. His residence is SE whereas the Black Warrior River is N?
2. How did he get to the bar? Uber/Lyft? A fraternity brother? Why wouldn’t a similar mode of transportation be taken after he left the bar?
3. Why would he walk home at that time of the morning? His residence isn’t considered “walking distance” from the Grey Lady?

These are all questions I had as well. As someone familiar with the area, none of it makes sense.

The thing that gets me about these drowning deaths is that almost all of them that happened recently involved a young guy going to a bar with friends but was the only one who got kicked out. None of the friends that went to the bar with them went outside to see how they were doing.

If they were that intoxicated wouldn't you think at least one friend would go and check on their buddy? Here's this individual, highly intoxicated left to their own devices who may not have a clue which direction to go in and boom, they end up in the water.

It's almost like a script that keeps getting played out. So unnecessary and needlessly tragic.

I'm just thinking about myself when I went to bars. A few of us girls would go out and have a good time but none of us at any time would have left a really drunk girl to her own devices; the risks were too great. Is that what it really boils down to? Girls are so aware of the dangers that intoxication can lead to but men are less aware? Not about being accosted or assaulted but just not seeing themselves as vulnerable?
I remember a case like that in Boston when a young man was kicked out a bar on a frigid winter night....and his coat was still inside. He also ended up in the water. Maybe I missed it, but was Garrett thrown out of a bar Saturday night?

NOV 11, 2021
Family of Garrett Walker hires attorney in wake of his death - WVUA23
The family of Garrett Walker, the University of Alabama student who went missing early Sunday and was found dead Tuesday, has hired a local attorney as representation.

Josh Hayes with Prince, Glover and Hayes Law Firm hosted a news conference on behalf of the Walkers Wednesday, thanking the city of Tuscaloosa, first responders and the UA community for their support in the wake of Garrett’s disappearance.

[...]

... He was last seen around 1:15 a.m. Sunday, but everything that happened after is a question his loved ones and investigators are looking to answer.

“Anyone who was in the area the night that Garrett went missing, we need to hear from them,” Hayes said. “If you have information, please reach out. If you saw something or if you think you may have seen something, say something. We need the public to say something.”

On Wednesday, Garrett’s family headed back home to Maryland with Garrett’s Jeep and his dog, Gunner. Before they left, Hayes said they had one wish to share.

[...]

Hayes said no lawsuit has been filed at this time.

[...]

I have 2 kids at UA right now. That night was cold. The Gray Lady is quite far from the stadium and Garrett’s home. No reason why he would head north to the river. At night, the river is a creepy and scary place, very dark. My gut says foul play. Prayers for the family. I can’t stop thinking of that poor mom. She desperately posted everywhere last Sunday.

I have 2 kids at UA right now. That night was cold. The Gray Lady is quite far from the stadium and Garrett’s home. No reason why he would head north to the river. At night, the river is a creepy and scary place, very dark. My gut says foul play. Prayers for the family. I can’t stop thinking of that poor mom. She desperately posted everywhere last Sunday.
Is there anything that goes on late night at the river there? Do people meet up there to sell or buy weed or to hook up or anything like that? I cannot understand why he would head that way, going away from his home, unless he wanted to continue the party somehow?

Or maybe it was foul play and he was forced to go there?

My kids never leave their dorms. I wouldn’t know. I wish they were social but they are not. This young man was a junior in a very difficult major. I doubt he was a huge partner. Engineering at UA is very tough. My daughter made it through, my son switched majors. It is tough!! That is why I fear Mr. Walker ended up at the river’s edge in a plan that was not his own.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back